Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Wade Delayed

• Start Topic

When Wade goes out of town for the day, he panics at the realization that he is the sole caretaker of his children. Delia picks up the girls from school for Wade but is thrown for a loop when Grace tells a clever lie to hang out with her friends.

Original air date: 11/14/19

Michaela Watkins is the star of the show for me. She plays the nerdy, slightly overbearing mom perfectly. Michaela commands every scene she's in, but she doesn't overact. And Delia never seems cartoonish. 

I just don't completely understand Delia's relationship with her daughter Abby. She's overprotective, and the parents talk about Abby like she's a genius in school. But Abby also doesn't talk much, seems socially awkward, and her parents sometimes treat her like she's five years old. And yet Abby is the one who cooks and cleans at home. Is Abby supposed to be on the autism spectrum, maybe with Asperger's?   

And she's only twelve? She's the same height as Grace, if not taller. And Grace is 14.

I loved the discussion among the parents at Michelle and Ben's (?) house. The "Natalie Tattlie" stuff was hilarious. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, topanga said:

Michaela Watkins is the star of the show for me. She plays the nerdy, slightly overbearing mom perfectly. Michaela commands every scene she's in, but she doesn't overact. And Delia never seems cartoonish. 

I just don't completely understand Delia's relationship with her daughter Abby. She's overprotective, and the parents talk about Abby like she's a genius in school. But Abby also doesn't talk much, seems socially awkward, and her parents sometimes treat her like she's five years old. And yet Abby is the one who cooks and cleans at home. Is Abby supposed to be on the autism spectrum, maybe with Asperger's?   

And she's only twelve? She's the same height as Grace, if not taller. And Grace is 14.

I loved the discussion among the parents at Michelle and Ben's (?) house. The "Natalie Tattlie" stuff was hilarious. 

I feel the exact opposite about Delia. She serves a purpose, but she annoys me and I don't pay much attention to her. 

I don't think Abby is supposed to be on the autism spectrum at all. I think she's just one of those over the top kids that does great at school, but doesn't say much. Delia is just an overprotective Mom, because someone decided that was funny. Delia worries about what the kids at that game eat, because of the 'she's a pediatrician' thing. She does the same with her daughter- anything that can be dangerous (food, sunlight, whatever) her daughter must avoid. I think there was also a throwaway line that she Abby burns easily. But cooking and cleaning get Delia out of doing those things, so she's fine with it, because she's sometimes selfish. 

Height is not a way to judge age. There are 10 years old who are taller than I am. I was in line once behind a guy who was the Center for the Pacers, his son was 3 and can up to my armpit. 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Bali said:

Height is not a way to judge age. There are 10 years old who are taller than I am. I was in line once behind a guy who was the Center for the Pacers, his son was 3 and can up to my armpit. 

Oh, I know. I was just surprised that Abby is Natalie's age, not Grace's age. 

7 hours ago, DoYouLikeMutton said:

I tried but couldn't get through this one.   This show is such a let down especially after a stellar episode of Young Sheldon.  Now THAT show rocks!  🙂

The Unicorn > Precocious Sheldon

That trope has been tired for about 15 years now. At least The Unicorn is somewhat fresh.

• Love 6

What the writers need to stop doing immediately is having Dr. Delia announce medical conditions of her young patients. ("He has an undescended testicle.") In an earlier episode, while working the snack stand at the soccer game, she berated one of her patients in front of the other children about eating some fatty food because he had high triglycerides. It's not funny, it's cringe-worthy and unethical.

I love this show but this definitely wasn't its finest episode.

• Love 3

I love the veggie burger with bacon & cheese.  *LOL*

Amusing and sweet, I'm still enjoying this weekly 22 minute cute-fest. 

And I TOTALLY fly with that kind of anxiety, having grabbed the hands of dozens of strangers over the years when faced with a tiny bit of turbulence!  I felt ya, Wade!  

• Love 6

I hate flying through turbulence, so I totally felt for Wade this week! I am fully grabbing hands (not of strangers usually!) and trying to hold in my freak out. 

The end with everyone roasting Wade made me giggle. "Your forehead is more like a five head." "You have like eight or nine extra teeth." 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I recently saw the woman on the plane as a bad date on the new show with the Mike and Molly guy where he wants to date a nurse.

I guess she is the new go to girl for bad dates.

She was funnier there.

13 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I recently saw the woman on the plane as a bad date on the new show with the Mike and Molly guy where he wants to date a nurse.

I guess she is the new go to girl for bad dates.

She has guest starred on a lot of high profile shows (Friends, Grey's Anatomy, Ally McBeal, My Name Is Earl, Pushing Daisies, Heroes, Boston Legal, In Plain Sight, The Mindy Project, Numb3rs, The Crazy Ones, Inside Amy Schumer) so I recognized her right away.

On the one hand, I think it's great that she's approaching 50 and she's still getting cast as a woman to date (as opposed to old sassy neighbor with jokes about menopause). But from a shallow point of view, I don't personally find her attractive so whenever she gets cast in those roles, I think really? Different strokes, I guess.

• Love 1
On 11/18/2019 at 2:00 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

I think her face specifically her cheekbones are very distinctive. She throws off a sort of exotic vibe that is more memorable than your run of the mill attractive 40ish woman.

Missi Pyle is striking, but if I were a guy, I would be afraid to initiate a conversation with her. She looks like she would bite my head off if I said the wrong thing. 

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

Missi Pyle is striking, but if I were a guy, I would be afraid to initiate a conversation with her. She looks like she would bite my head off if I said the wrong thing. 

I agree which is why they must use her as the “scary date” girl. She sort of looks like an exotic snake or reptile. Yikes!

• Love 3
On 11/15/2019 at 7:52 PM, ProudMary said:

What the writers need to stop doing immediately is having Dr. Delia announce medical conditions of her young patients. ("He has an undescended testicle.") In an earlier episode, while working the snack stand at the soccer game, she berated one of her patients in front of the other children about eating some fatty food because he had high triglycerides. It's not funny, it's cringe-worthy and unethical.

I love this show but this definitely wasn't its finest episode.

Yeah, HIPAA violations abound!

• Love 1
On 11/17/2019 at 3:11 PM, tennisgurl said:

"You have like eight or nine extra teeth." 

I like Wade and the actor, but I find his mouth, teeth, bite, and smile extremely distracting. To me his upper teeth look like a set of dentures that were created for someone else's mouth.

• Love 2
On 11/15/2019 at 2:07 PM, topanga said:

I can't figure out Abby either. At some point, I thought she was raising herself. At other times, it seemed like she was babied. The height didn't really bother me, though, because girls stop growing at that age. So, a tall woman was likely just as tall at 13. And yes, I think Natalie Tattlie is adorable and hilarious as an annoying younger sister!