Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: A Parasol and a Hell of an Arm

Bort
Message added by Bort

As always, in the episode topics, there is no mentioning of events from The Big Bang Theory that have not "happened" yet.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I actually thought that WAS Pastor Jeff when the child psychologist showed up.  Pastor Jeff and a lot of the incidental smaller characters who show up tend to play on a lot of stereotypes people of have Texans or people from the South.  On the one hand, I get how this draws a clear comparison between Sheldon (who is "different") and "everyone else," but I'm also not a fan of too much use of cliches.

Hollywood and some in the media paint those of us in the South with a very broad brush.  It gets old after awhile.   Every state is made up of a variety of folks of differing intelligence and educational backgrounds.  The South isn't the only state with "rednecks." 

Sheldon's problem is that there aren't many people who will ever live up to his standards, educationally speaking.  He thinks the only measure of one's intelligence is whether you are book smart or not.  As much as Mary tries to remind Sheldon of this, he's pretty much set in his ways from a very young age.  I'm glad that MeeMaw tends to bust his chops (in a manner of speaking) from time to time.  I've really enjoyed their dynamic on this show.  I'm so glad that Annie Potts is a regular cast member and not one who just makes occasional appearances.  Mary really seems to need her support.   She makes a good sparring partner to George too.  

• Love 7

The Coopers being Baptist’s makes much more sense. Baptist are a fairly large majority in most of the south. I don’t know about Texas, but in South Carolina there are a lot of “Pastor Jeff’s”. Well meaning church leaders who probably got ordained at a local bible college or even through correspondence course. Many don’t really have a very sound good grasp of what is or isn’t really orthodox for being Baptist. I visited my parents small country church one time and was treated to an apology from the pastor that his sermon the week before had some inaccuracies, and he had to correct himself on what he had preached. There are also a lot of not so well meaning pastors who preach what they believe regardless of what the Bible says. 

• Love 3
On 11/8/2019 at 11:51 AM, Gummo said:

Love how the show is now "The Coopers" and not just "Young Sheldon." All the characters continue to grow richer and deeper and the show is so much better for it.

That's reflected in the new opening, which I don't believe I've seen discussed yet!  I always preferred the cow to the tumbleweed, and now I look forward to seeing what outfit Sheldon will be wearing each week.  When Sheldon wore the Star Trek uniform, my husband knew it just by seeing the boots.  If I had any doubts about his geek cred before...now they are completely gone 🙂

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Lovecat said:

When Sheldon wore the Star Trek uniform, my husband knew it just by seeing the boots.

I've been happy to see him giving a shout-out to his favorite characters!  The Flash costume was cute too.   

• Love 3
On 11/8/2019 at 3:29 PM, SpiritSong said:

I think Pastor Jeff and hack-up-a-lung were just indulging in a pleasant, juvenile fantasy.

Just rewatched and they reference getting Sheldon into the dunk tank later in the episode when Pastor Jeff is in the tank so I don't agree, I don't think they were just having a little make believe fun they were serious.  Maybe they didn't really think they'd get Mary to agree but they weren't joking around either!

• Love 5
On 11/8/2019 at 10:27 AM, BitterApple said:

Same here in Las Vegas. People walk around with umbrellas all the time, especially during the summer months. 

Whereas in Indiana, people never carry them. Even on rainy days, we're like, "Eh, it'll eventually stop and that's why they put hoods on our raincoats."

On 11/8/2019 at 12:24 PM, Katy M said:

That's not what everyone's problem with him is, though.  Pastor Jeff doesn't like him because he heckles his sermon.  Now, while heckling may be wrong, his honest questioning isn't.  Pastor Jeff should be embracing that opportunity instead of being annoyed.  I actually don't know what the church secretary's issue is with him is so I can't address that.  

If I were going to that church- and please remember that there is an entire congregation at that church- not just Sheldon and the Coopers, Sheldon's constant interruptions would annoy the SNOT out of me! I mean, I'm going to service because I want the music, or the sermon, or whatever, and instead, here's this annoying 10 year old who refuses to keep his mouth shut. He constantly interrupts the flow of the sermon. He constantly means I can't get home to lunch on time because we have to address every single one of his interruptions. There is no making Sunday plans, because I don't know how long this kid is going to force everyone to wait for him. I mean it would be one thing if the questions were addressed after the service one on one with Pastor Jeff. But during the sermon- taking a 15 minute schpeil and making it last 30 instead. 

I was kind of expecting Missy to beam the Coach with a ball. I'm not sure if I'm glad or not that she didn't. On one hand, we got angry Meemaw and Coach. On the other, we didn't get the look of Holy Cow girl's got an arm on Coach's face. And if they had her do that, people would be all upset about it. I love the George and Missy baseball story.

And poor Georgie- stuck in every kid's worst nightmare. Old woman talking about their sex lives. 

I think that seeing Wallace Shawn means he and Meemaw may not be over forever. I hope that when he sees her on a date with someone he didn't choose, he'll get jealous. He's obviously already missing her.

• Love 4

Can't believe that George was so bad at pitching - his throws were miles off. I get they needed to contrast him with Missy's "dead eye" aim, but he was able to coach Missy to get that way (and presumably has to coach boys on throwing a football), he should have some ability.

Slightly surprised Mary didn't offer to at least ask Sheldon if he'd go on dunk tank duty. She'd know there was roughly 0% chance of him accepting, so she needn't worry bout her baby getting a chill (or whatever).

Georgie has a future in the Counselling business - not only did he keep listening, he even paid attention. He deserved his one beer! Though at least Meemaw didn't allow it, even if she shouldn't have asked in the first place.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:18 AM, Mystery said:

I did like the "do good baseball" moment between Sheldon and Missy. 

I love that, for all that Sheldon is "an odd duck", he really does care about his family, in his own way.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, John Potts said:

Slightly surprised Mary didn't offer to at least ask Sheldon if he'd go on dunk tank duty. She'd know there was roughly 0% chance of him accepting, so she needn't worry bout her baby getting a chill (or whatever).

She wasn't worried about him getting a chill. She was worried about him getting bullied

• Love 2
On 11/8/2019 at 11:51 AM, Gummo said:

And oh, Missy defending her Dad from Pastor Jeff's taunts by dunking him over & over & over again until the crowd was chanting "Missy! Missy! Missy!" was GOLD.

"Lord, let George Cooper hit something other than the buffet!" That was low, but the way he said it was hilarious. 😂😂😂😂😂