Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Mile Marker 14

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

On 11/7/2019 at 5:33 PM, Paloma said:
On 11/7/2019 at 4:48 PM, shapeshifter said:

But I suspect reports of this show's demise might be premature --just because of the stellar cast.

The stellar cast might be a big part of the reason for cancellation (if true)--all the main characters are adults and normal looking, rather than gorgeous teens and 20-somethings who reflect the target demographic for most shows

On 11/7/2019 at 8:30 PM, shapeshifter said:

And the stellar cast is probably expensive.

Just in case the show really is canceled, I wanted to add/note that by “stellar” cast, I didn’t just mean known stars, but also the two young actors playing Mia and Piper, who are really delivering consistently stellar performances and deserving of kudos. But they are outside the “20-something… target demographic” too. 😕 

But maybe the director(s), camera people, etc. are also just really good with kid actors?

-

On 11/8/2019 at 11:27 AM, saber5055 said:

wondered why the giant crab drawing was so evident in the background, I kept looking at it wondering what it meant, it had to mean something. Now I know, so thanks! (Have never seen SpongeBob or heard of Clancy Brown until this show.)

Crab drawing? Screen cap, anyone?

ETA: Maybe the kid actor handlers on the set are just really awesome too, like maybe setting them at ease by introducing the imposing figure of Clancy Brown as the crab from Sponge Bob. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

ETA: Maybe the kid actor handlers on the set are just really awesome too, like maybe setting them at ease by introducing the imposing figure of Clancy Brown as the crab from Sponge Bob. 

That's an interesting thought.  Of course hopefully the kids have no idea about some of his other famous roles.

This is far removed from the violent and profane Captain Hadley in Shawshank (NSFW) or the violent and profane Kurgan from Highlander.

• Love 2

I assume that Allison Tolman was cast first, given that she's the lead.  But casting Clancy Brown as her father was so brilliant.  They really look as if they could be father and daughter.  The only more perfect parent/child casting I can think of is Noah Beery as James Garner's dad in The Rockford Files--they not only looked alike, they felt alike, as if they knew each other from the beginning of time.  This pairing has that same quality to me.  If the show doesn't get picked up, I hope some other outlet saves it.

• Love 6

A) I'm sad this show is probably canceled.

B) I'm surprised everyone was shocked by the Emily reveal. We were hit over the head a dozen times that Kindred wasn't a tech-guy - that he's too dumb. And when partner-guy said he destroyed it and/or didn't complete it... the only person that's left is Emily. I kind of thought it was a giveaway and the reveal at the end was just confirmation.

C) I love Chris.

D) I'm waiting for Piper to cure Grandpa somehow.

The end.

• Love 7
On 11/10/2019 at 2:18 AM, Dowel Jones said:

LostThe Shawshank Redemption?  Or, if you want to go way back, Carnivale.

Just because I've seen those doesn't mean I recognize or have ever heard of Clancy Brown. The only character in this show who was familiar to me is Jo's cop partner (from The Night Shift), and now Kindred ... from LOST! a show I watched every week. I don't recognize Clancy from it though. I'm not perfect.

On 11/10/2019 at 3:18 AM, Dowel Jones said:

Or to go way way back, Earth 2 (in 1994-1995), another sci-fi series that had an interesting plot and good actors, so naturally was cancelled much too soon.  That was the first show I saw Clancy Brown in, and despite his appearance in so many other things I still associate him with Earth 2.

• Love 6
On 11/10/2019 at 3:18 AM, Dowel Jones said:

Carnivale is way back??

I got my introduction to Clancy Brown in Highlander (with Sean Connery) from 1986. Fabulously cheesy and wonderful.

On 11/6/2019 at 5:56 PM, TOWTooMuchTV said:

Am I the only one wondering now whether Piper really is what Emily said she was? If Emily is a villain or at the very least hiding a very big something, we can't assume she is telling the whole truth about her, can we? Unless I missed something that corroborated what she said.

I was thinking something similar. Emily is the one that said telling Piper she's an AI would destroy her. That might not be true. 

• Love 4

I've suspected Emily was evil for a while, but only because I can't stand her. I just find her to be incredibly annoying.

But I didn't get that it wasn't Kindred in the "dream" space talking to Piper. It doesn't quite make sense that she'd be so awed by how amazing Piper is, if she's the one who created her. I thought maybe there was a third player in the drama, that maybe Emily was also AI, but had gone rogue, and that whoever the programmer was, it wasn't someone we'd met yet... until the reveal this episode, that it was Emily impersonating Kindred, and that Emily was the creator, I just didn't get that at all.

Mostly, though, I don't care that much about the mystery and intrigue. It's backdrop for the character developments and relationship stuff, somehow, but if you look too deeply, the "science" of this kind of show never really makes sense, so I need the psychological drama to make it interesting.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

...but if you look too deeply, the "science" of this kind of show never really makes sense,

In this case it kind of is looking like they took the fantasy from Stranger Things and plopped it in an attempt at science fiction. Perhaps we will learn that the whole thing is a bad simulation (matrix style -- or perhaps Total Recall style)..

Edited by djsurrey
  • Love 1
On 11/6/2019 at 12:37 AM, AnimeMania said:

Jo and Benny exit the bunker, it is night, Alex leaves Dr. Abby's house, it is night. Every other scene before and after, it is daytime. I had to rewind the DVR to make sure I didn't have some kind of "stroke". I got so confused had to look at the clock in the police station to see what time it was: "2:22 or so" Now I wondering if it is A.M. or P.M., has an entire day gone by? Jo comes home and Ed says "What are you doing home so early from work?" I collapse on the floor with foam coming out of my mouth. Anybody else get the the vibe that Dr. Abby wouldn't mind breaking off a piece of that Alex? "Why exactly did you two break up?"

The day/night thing bugged - it's so common on so many shows, and yet all it takes is a note to ensure the set is lit consistently.

As for Dr. Abby, I have it in my head (for no reason whatsoever) that she's Alex's sister - so nope, didn't get that vibe. 😄

On 11/6/2019 at 5:48 AM, Paloma said:

I can't see him becoming a good guy, though he might be willing to help them if it helped himself, but the partner might resurface at some point and agree to help them in order to prevent the dangerous consequences of AI that he seemed so worried about. I don't remember the partner mentioning Emily, and I just assumed it was Kindred who sent the assassins, but wouldn't the partner have had to be aware of Emily's key role in creating Piper? And if so, he might know that Emily is as dangerous if not more dangerous than Kindred. Not sure where I am going with this, but if Wilkis was smart enough to fake his death and live for quite a while in his high-tech Fortress of Solitude, he would probably be the Scooby gang's only hope of defeating Emily on a tech level. 

The partner didn't mention Emily by name, but he did say Piper's software was created by someone else - that he'd destroyed all of his. As he's been "dead" for 4 years, he may not have ever known her.

On 11/6/2019 at 10:43 AM, possibilities said:

My theory is that Emily found the location, tipped off Kindred, and did it in order to take Kindred out of the picture AND possibly also take down Wilkis, reclaim the tech, and maybe even hurt Jo and Reporter. She wants control of Piper. She sees Jo et al as rivals for Piper's loyalty.

I think your theory is right on - at least for finding the location and Kindred. I think she's more possessive of Piper because she created her.

On 11/7/2019 at 9:49 PM, Jacks-Son said:

I wasn't a fan of "Flashforward" of Yahtzee fame (Jumped the shark), but I did love "Invasion" and another one called "Threshold".  That was back then on Earth-2, when SciFi was all the rage, before Vampires and Werewolves took over.

I loved Flashforward at first but it dropped the ball (loved the book by Robert J Sawyer), didn't care for Invasion - mostly because I was so ticked that a (in my opinion) much better show (Threshold) was cancelled - I think it was during the same season. Earth 2 is where I first saw Clancy Brown.

On 11/12/2019 at 7:21 AM, marcee said:

A) I'm sad this show is probably canceled.

B) I'm surprised everyone was shocked by the Emily reveal. We were hit over the head a dozen times that Kindred wasn't a tech-guy - that he's too dumb. And when partner-guy said he destroyed it and/or didn't complete it... the only person that's left is Emily. I kind of thought it was a giveaway and the reveal at the end was just confirmation.

C) I love Chris.

D) I'm waiting for Piper to cure Grandpa somehow.

The end.

It took me longer to get there, but once she was revealed, I think you can look back on all her interactions and see that she wasn't quite what she seemed, and that getting to Piper was her #1 goal.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:27 PM, welnoc said:

Carnivale is way back??

I got my introduction to Clancy Brown in Highlander (with Sean Connery) from 1986. Fabulously cheesy and wonderful.

2003 - 2005. Hate to admit it, but I think it probably does qualify as way back in TV time. Brilliant show.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2

And now you're saying this might have been cancelled?? I did hear that it was only supposed to be 13 episodes - will we at least be able to finish those?

I like this show just about the best of all the new ones! Cancellation has never crossed my mind!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Tyro49 said:

And now you're saying this might have been cancelled?? I did hear that it was only supposed to be 13 episodes - will we at least be able to finish those?

I like this show just about the best of all the new ones! Cancellation has never crossed my mind!

I still have not read that it is cancelled. 

On 11/7/2019 at 6:33 PM, Paloma said:

The stellar cast might be a big part of the reason for cancellation (if true)--all the main characters are adults and normal looking, rather than gorgeous teens and 20-somethings who reflect the target demographic for most shows.

Being 50-something, I love this show for the relatability. Actors aren't all botoxed and plastic, and are pleasant to look at but not outrageously gorgeous. It doesn't look like anyone misses a meal, and I mean that in a positive, healthy way. Clothes are casual and the location has a relaxed beachy vibe.

It took me a few episodes to get into the storyline, but I consider myself a fan. 

• Love 6
On 11/8/2019 at 12:49 AM, Jacks-Son said:

I wasn't a fan of "Flashforward" of Yahtzee fame (Jumped the shark), but I did love "Invasion" and another one called "Threshold".  That was back then on Earth-2, when SciFi was all the rage, before Vampires and Werewolves took over.

I liked all of them. 

Emergence is cancelled? I hope not. I was just catching up with it on Tuesday, and enjoying it. 

On 11/10/2019 at 8:11 PM, MisterGlass said:

That's an interesting thought.  Of course hopefully the kids have no idea about some of his other famous roles.

This is far removed from the violent and profane Captain Hadley in Shawshank (NSFW) or the violent and profane Kurgan from Highlander.

I remember him playing the men who drugged his daughter, and convinced her to shoot his wife. He had been abusing/grooming her friend, and married her after that. He's mostly given me the creeps, so it's nice to see him in something where he's a good guy. 

51 minutes ago, Anela said:

Emergence is cancelled? I hope not. I was just catching up with it on Tuesday, and enjoying it. 

Reports of the show’s cancellation are still just speculation. 
I don’t even see a date for when we will know. 

• Love 2
On 12/5/2019 at 11:57 AM, possibilities said:

I always rely on the "Cancel Bear" at zap2it's Renew/Cancel page, but it hasn't updated in weeks. Not sure what's happening there.

I'm sure there are other reliable sources, but a lot of places are just rumormongering.

I assume the Cancel Bear hasn’t been updated because so many shows have been on mini-breaks that the ratings wouldn’t be evaluatative —and I respect the Bear for their silence when there’s nothing to say but “rumor mongering.” 
So say we all! (Battlestar Galactica). 
Am I right?

• Love 2