Type keyword(s) to search

Breaking Down The Shot

• Start Topic

John Krasinski Breaks Down the Opening Scene from A Quiet Place 2.  I was amused at how insistent he was that he would not participate in a sequel but ended up getting sucked back in while working on an outline for the person who was supposed to take over as writer/director.  I feel like the first film ended in a way that concluded things while leaving the door open to other possibilities and that the second film does that as well. I do think if there’s another one it should be helmed by Krasinski because he’s very focused on the character aspect and another director might get focused on the monster/scare factor.  

I love the sound editing for these films.  I like that he crafted some scenes so the sound mimics what Millicent can or can not hear.  I loved how proud he was of the camera getting broken causing a mistake that ending up being a perfect shot.  I lot of directing is creatively responding to unexpected events on set.  So good directors plan but can also cope with the unexpected.  I like that he used the shot with the error because he worked better than the plan.  

The Goodfellas Copa Shot: As Told by the Guy who Shot It

It really was a great collaboration.   The cameraman had to sort of direct it.  He had to consider pacing of walking, how to make the scene engaging when it was just walking, fitting himself plus the camera in tight areas etc…. It was a collaboration including Ray Liotta being the one to come up with the idea to tip people in the hall which lead to the cameraman suggesting putting more people in the hallway for Ray to ad libb with as he passed.  I love the set design where they disguised the door so we don’t notice they pass twice.  Directors are very important but the team on the film as a whole has a tremendous impact.  Another cameraman and the scene could have been different.  Select the right people and trust them enough to delegate.  Scorsese didn’t micromanage and let the people he worked with collaborate to make the scene better. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

What happens when Covid shuts down production and you have to shoot a scene where the actors are on different continents.

Scene breakdown Everything Everywhere All At Once

• Like 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

Rian Johnson Breaks down the Arrival scene in Glass Onion

I like this:  "You can see we got that beautiful glimpse of sun off the water, it was nice and early; it matches nothing else in the scene, lighting wise, but it's gorgeous, so who cares?"

• Like 3

TV and Movies are too Dark - Why is this Happening?

Is the transition from film to digital to blame?  

Knives Out and Glass Onion are digital and are brightly lit and clear.  Nope had night scenes that were beautifully shot.  

• Like 1
  • Useful 1