Type keyword(s) to search

CBS Sunday Morning - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yes, thanks for creating this.

Couple of things from me (oh boy you say?):

First, I love love Jane Pauley.  Always have, she is just so classy and seems to be  a real lady.

i find the nature segment at the end of each show  is Always too short, except last weekend when they showed 1min 19sec of spiders!  (Yes sometimes I time them, easy with a smart phone 🤓).  I am fine with spiders outside.    I know they are good bugs eating the bad bugs.  But like today, I could have watched those Texas bats longer than 15 seconds.  I do know they put them on YouTube in a longer version. 

I found Ted Koppel’s attitude very off putting during the Oberlin segment/interview.  He did not seem impartial.  And his ending comment about the one guy’s having pancreatic cancer, what the hell did that have to do with the case?  That story left my stomach in knots.    The rest of this show was excellent.  ELO........Yes❣️

RIP Chika, sweet little girl.

• Love 4

Me too.  I love to watch this program with my morning coffee.  Usually it is an uplifting show to start the day.

(I have mentioned before that I have had several concussions and a brain bleed so my short term memory is meh.)  I have deleted the show but I’ll try:

1.  a very interesting piece about a new art mall outside SantaFe financed by the GoT author.  

2.  Mitch Albom financed and helped build better living conditions for some orphans in Haiti and then brought home a little girl with a brain tumor (this one made me tear up)

3.  Mobituaries and people that write obits

4.  Electric Light Orchestra is making  a comeback

5.  The story done by Ted Koppel about a black kid trying to buy wine with fake ID, runs and is “detained” and arrested and the Oberlin college kids protested the owners as bigots and the store owners won a big  court settlement. This one was long and convoluted, needs to be reviewed yourself.  I intend to research it more.

6.  Then the millions of bats coming out of caves outside of San Antonio or Austin, can’t remember which.  Really cool looking, I love bats, I think of them as little dogs with wings 🦇🐕

youtube may have this show.  Hope this helped.  And thanks, It was a good brain exercise 🤫

• Love 3

Yummy❣️  I live ~30 minutes from a semi-decent sized town but it has a pretty good Indian restaurant with a great lunch buffet.  Haven’t  been there in some time. I plan to go there for lunch soon.  My Mom was born and raised in WY and we used to go there every summer to visit family.  I was not surprised to not see a lot of ‘truckers’ sitting in the restaurant.  I think you know what I mean.  😈

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Kim Novak's face is very distracting in how it does not move.  At all.

I saw the interview and her appearance at the Oscars was mentioned and how shocked people were to see her face.  I felt awful for her, you could hear the gasps in the audience.   People all over social media remarked about her face.  I don't remember what she said in the interview but I think she handled it well. 

• Love 3

I just watched the segment. Kim admits that the plastic surgeon she used injected the fat in the wrong place (which is obvious). If he had injected her with filler, it could have been corrected though. But frankly, I don't think for 87 she looks bad at all!

It's atrocious the hounding she got after her Academy Awards appearance. 

I posted before we got to that part of the interview.  But that injection was a while ago -- seems like it could be fixed?  I know nothing about plastic surgery, and I hope I never have to have first-hand knowledge of it, but I would think that after all this time, either it would self-resolve (any fat injection should disperse) or be fixable.  I guess I really wish people (women especially) didn't feel the need to alter their appearances like that.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

But that injection was a while ago -- seems like it could be fixed?

I don't think it's super easy to remove a poorly positioned fat transfer to the face though it's likely possible but could require extensive work. She probably thought, "fuck it," and decided to keep it as it was. I don't begrudge anyone choosing plastic surgery -- but finding the right doctor to do it is the highest priority. I'm sad that the person she picked was the wrong one.

I remember being shocked at Kim Novak's appearance at those Oscars, because I found her almost unrecognizable. It makes me sad to hear that the plastic surgeon botched her procedure so thoroughly. I thought she looked better, more like the woman I saw on the screen in Vertigo, during this interview. I sincerely regret the unkind things I said after the Academy Awards. 

The piece that really gut-punched me was Steve Hartman's, about the new relatives he found, after his mother's death, through DNA testing. I know the reporter isn't supposed to be part of the story, so until he chose to share this information, there would have been no way for me to know any of his family background, but it was head-spinning. I can't imagine how it feels for him! He and his new relatives seemed to be getting along swimmingly. I'm happy for all of them.

• Love 5

Jane Pauley is precious. I have always loved her and was thrilled when she got the host job when Osgood retired. He used to come back and play the piano once in a while. I need to see if I can find out how he’s doing.

That octopus segment was fascinating. We went to the amazing New England Aquarium last May and I could have spent all day there. It was crowded, but I thought the layout was very well done so that even someone short like I am could see the creatures. That octopus did look like he had a good grip on the presenter! 

Poor Kim. She is still attractive but she was drop dead gorgeous. It is ridiculous how many women (especially in entertainment) feel the pressure to keep getting fillers, Botox, etc. there are several young news women on local Channels in my area who have faces that barely move. Yes, they are young and their skin is perfect and smooth but there’s no expression, no eyebrow movements. One in particular kind of scares me because I think she has also had some lip injections....not enough to look like duck lip....but she’s so pretty. Leave it alone! 

I love everything Steve Hartman does. what a quality show this is every week. And yet no one I know watches it.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 8

Yes, the octopus segment was great. They are indeed fascinating creatures in so many ways and it was good to get see so many aspects of their unique behaviors.

This show does such a quality job of really spending the time to cover their stories. They just let the camera watch the subject and allow the reporters to talk instead of the usual surface reporting of the highlights. 

• Love 7

Darn it, Steve Hartman, you did it again! Yet another meaningful, touching segment that I won’t soon forget. I had to put my sweet dog down last month, so the story about the little boy who adopts old, unwanted dogs was particularly emotional. I wish they hadn’t shown the euthanasia pictures but I understand why they felt it necessary to tell the story. I’m so glad that the boy has what appears to be a loving, stable, supportive family now.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 7

Another excellent show this morning.  I enjoyed all the stories but the dog segment got to me too.  My 16 y old Pom is still pretty lively but her legs are getting weak.  🐕 she really does look like this.  It’s my plan to care for older dogs from the shelter if I’m able.  Right now Lana wouldn’t go for it. 🤠

• Love 5

let me start my saying that cbs sunday morning is my favorite part of sunday. however...

is pisses me off no end that the show rarely, if ever, acknowledges the network’s soaps, which, over the years, have generated billions — with a b — of dollars in revenue for cbs. in 2009 and 2010, they barley mentioned the cancellations of guiding light and as the world turns. 

and this week, they failed the mention the death of lee phillip bell, who with her late husband, bill, created both of cbs’s remaining soaps:  ‘the young and the restless’ and ‘the bold and the beautiful.’

really? they do a passages segment every week. how much effort would it have taken? i just don’t get it. 

Anyone else notice that for the past three or four weeks now, they've dropped doing the news updates at the start of the show?  I don't really miss them, but I do wonder why they're gone.  Something to do with pandemic difficulties, I guess.

• Love 1

I've noticed the lack of news at the beginning but haven't missed it much. I was thinking it was because we've all heard it so much, it changes so quickly and it's nice to have a break from it.

I've liked the different musicians playing the theme at the opening. 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

My DVR didn't record!!!  Did I miss anything?

And also David Pogue on the explosion in popularity of audiobooks. Though, full disclosure, I'm a Pogue stan, so I always like his segments.

If you're a fan of Jim Dale's readings of the Harry Potter books, there's a cameo (of sorts) by those iconic recordings, too.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Kindred Spirit said:

And also David Pogue on the explosion in popularity of audiobooks. Though, full disclosure, I'm a Pogue stan, so I always like his segments.

If you're a fan of Jim Dale's readings of the Harry Potter books, there's a cameo (of sorts) by those iconic recordings, too.

I loved that segment!  I'm sort of proud to say that I actually watched the Audies (award ceremony for excellence in audiobooks) late one night on C-SPAN's BookTV.  It was hosted by Mo Rocca this year, and Stephen King was given a lifetime achievement award and gave an excellent speech.  He was introduced by his son Joe Hill, also a published author, who was just as good a speaker as his dad.

Somewhat relatedly, we had tickets to see Mo speak at a local book festival in late March, but it was cancelled by COVID-19.  Boooooo.

• Love 3

Wow!  Where’d everyone go?  I just got CBS back on Dish this week after several months of them having a pissing contest with Apollo in NY.   I signed up for CBS All Access for this show and Stephen Colbert.  I didn’t want to pay $10 for ‘no commercials ‘ so went with the basic.  What an exercise in frustration 😤. So glad to have this back on my DVR. 

This was a great show today but the singing group of >75 year olds was really wonderful.  When the lady was singing Pink Floyd’s Wish You Were Here.......well it really got to me.  And I loved the Paul McCartney piece too.  💜

Glad to be back..  Merry Christmas.  🎄🐕

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Lifesabeach said:

I just got CBS back on Dish this week after several months of them having a pissing contest with Apollo in NY.  

I still have that problem where I live with Dish and Nexstar when it comes to my local CBS (WSPA).

It was a show full of so many good stories today.

Loved the Young at Heart choir and the segment on kindness in particular. It was a jarring transition when right after the speaking about kindness and washing the feet of the homeless it broke to the commercial stating "Don't forget about yourself the Christmas"- and the people buying themselves cars with big bows.

Hail and Farewell -- moved me to tears, as always, but it seemed more moving this year than ever.  I know people were omitted, but I still appreciated the way the segment was organized and ordered.  It's been a long year.

• Love 4
On 12/27/2020 at 10:45 AM, Browncoat said:

I know people were omitted, but I still appreciated the way the segment was organized and ordered.

I loved Hail and Farewell.  There's no way they can include everyone, that would be impossible, they cover every walk of life:  entertainment, literature, science, politics, history et al.  There are always people who pass that I hadn't heard they passed (Ian Holm, Olivia deHaviland).

15 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

We don’t get much snow here, for which I am glad, but the Moment of Nature segment was nice.

Gorgeous, a winter wonderland.

• Love 3
On 1/31/2021 at 10:27 PM, Medicine Crow said:

(Never would have pegged her as a dog fan.  Just sayin'.)

I hadn't thought about that, but when I saw her with her dog, they really did seem like a perfect fit.  My heart broke a little when the dying owner suggested the dog be put down when her owner died.  So glad Martha was able to step in and help.

• Love 3

It's very interesting, watching the Super Bowl, after the piece this morning on the guy who is providing canned audience sounds.  There are probably people who can tell the difference, but I really can't.  The sound is that good, to me.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It's very interesting, watching the Super Bowl, after the piece this morning on the guy who is providing canned audience sounds.  There are probably people who can tell the difference, but I really can't.  The sound is that good, to me.

I fast-forwarded every Super Bowl related story.  This week I learned about The Humungous Fungus!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1