Type keyword(s) to search

Robert and Anny: Uber Stupid

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I don't have a problem with NAnny balking at the used clothes.  Robert lured her to America, I'm sure with a promise of a better life, and the first thing he takes her to buy are used clothes?

I had a friend who NEVER purchased clothes in a store (except underwear).  Everything she owned was from a thrift shop or a church swap.  Everybody always commented her on how nice she always looked (tons of cashmere sweaters).  So Nanny can miss me complaining about "used" clothes.  She's ignorant.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
15 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I had a friend who NEVER purchased clothes in a store (except underwear).  Everything she owned was from a thrift shop or a church swap.  Everybody always commented her on how nice she always looked (tons of cashmere sweaters).  So Nanny can miss me complaining about "used" clothes.  She's ignorant.

I have nothing against people buying "used clothes".  But, I think it is a little tacky for NAnny's "knight in shining armor" to take her shopping for clothes in a second hand store, as soon as she got off the plane.

It is kind of like taking a woman to McDonald's on your first date.   

A woman choosing to shop at a thrift shop is great.  A woman's future husband making her shop there, is not so great, IMO.  

I guess it is good that Robert isn't showering her in luxury for 3 months to get her to marry him and then going cheapskate on her.   

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, Gobi said:

I think that you can get them cheap from Nicole.

LOL, id bet good money that Nicole thinks I should pay her premium prices for ugly leggings for the good fortune of being able to buy them from the Nicole of "Nicole and azan!" fame

Edited by RealReality
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I have nothing against people buying "used clothes".  But, I think it is a little tacky for NAnny's "knight in shining armor" to take her shopping for clothes in a second hand store, as soon as she got off the plane.

It is kind of like taking a woman to McDonald's on your first date.   

I woman choosing to shop at a thrift shop is great.  A woman's future husband making her shop there, is not so great, IMO.  

I guess it is good that Robert isn't showering her in luxury for 3 months to get her to marry him and then going cheapskate on her.   

I think if be explained the benefits prior she probably wouldn't have a problem with it 

Take the waste argument out of the equation.  I'll assume that she doesn't care.  

But at a high end goodwill/thrift store she is likely to find clothing from the high end designers I'm sure she values and who make clothing that is made well and won't make her look like a stuffed sausage casing. 

1 hour ago, Dmarie019 said:

He could have at least taken her to a walmart!  They have cheap but decent clothes. 

Walmart clothing feeds into the waste problem associated with fast fashion.  

As @Neurochick said people can look far better in thrift store clothing than fast fashion.  Look at how pretty Larissa was in her $30 goodwill dress.

I'm not all the way there yet, because I'm spoiled, but I think it's good for us, as a country to try to change some of our judgment about second hand clothing and how it's only for poor folk.  

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 9

I love goodwill. But it does sound cheesy taking Anny there. He could at least take her to Ross and give her a limit he could afford. 

But it is refreshing seeing someone who is not fronting about their financial situation. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Mu Shu said:

I love goodwill. But it does sound cheesy taking Anny there. He could at least take her to Ross and give her a limit he could afford. 

But it is refreshing seeing someone who is not fronting about their financial situation. 

Ross might be a good compromise.  Those clothes are already made and so any purchase is saving already created clothes from being wasted.  

I feel like she might not get as much value but if having something that's never been worn is really important for her, then it's probably a good solution.  

Up here, Ross is legit less expensive than goodwill but I think it would be different in other places. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, RealReality said:

Ross might be a good compromise.  Those clothes are already made and so any purchase is saving already created clothes from being wasted.  

I feel like she might not get as much value but if having something that's never been worn is really important for her, then it's probably a good solution.  

Up here, Ross is legit less expensive than goodwill but I think it would be different in other places. 

I love Ross! It's better in my town than TJ Maxx!

I think Anny 's breaking point is going to be the co sleeping with Bryson; she's got bigger problems than shopping at Goodwill.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Why am I curious who took care of Bryson when he was chasing tail on this cruise?  Say he got a four day cruise - that is still four days!  Why could said person not be called upon to take care of Bryson when Anny arrived?  Why do I kinda love his DR friend who tried to talk some sense into him?

Maybe he took Bryson along and left him in the included in the price kids camp for the day while he met up with Anny.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I totally agree with this, and I’m a frequent thrift store shopper. I don’t know about other cities, but in DC, Goodwill has created a “Designer” section where they put all their halfway decent wares and charge double and triple the amount they do for other merchandise. I saw a raincoat in this section that cost more than a similar raincoat I spotted at Marshall’s.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, charmed1 said:

I totally agree with this, and I’m a frequent thrift store shopper. I don’t know about other cities, but in DC, Goodwill has created a “Designer” section where they put all their halfway decent wares and charge double and triple the amount they do for other merchandise. I saw a raincoat in this section that cost more than a similar raincoat I spotted at Marshall’s.

I am thrift store junkie too.  There is a chain (US wide) called Turnstyle that has nicer stuff, too.  But to take a girl out shopping to a Salvation Army?  Or Goodwill?  After she has been here a day?  Uh hard pass.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 8

We have a used clothing store chain in our area that is VERY picky as to what they take. I brought a huge bag full and some things were denied as they were "outdated" or a too cheap brand name. They do carry a number of high end yet affordable clothes, shoes and accessories. I've gotten a few real cute items from them. I think the most I paid was $16 for a dress that I had almost bought a few months before at Penny's for about double that. 

I do check out Goodwill every so often but its not a mainstay of my shopping. In all honesty, I can go to Kohl's and with clearance and coupons do real well. I have a tunic top/dress that I bought earlier this year for $4. And I think I had a percentage off of that. I prefer to bargain hunt on new clothes. 

I don't blame her for being turned off. Its too soon for that. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I am thrift store junkie too.  There is a chain (US wide) called Turnstyle that has nicer stuff, too.  But to take a girl out shopping to a Salvation Army?  Or Goodwill?  After she has been here a day?  Uh hard pass.  

You should see some of the stuff in Goodwill on the UES of Manhattan, a lot of sample size clothes worn once and taken to Goodwill.

• Love 3
On 11/4/2019 at 11:42 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Thank you.  Even "Stop being a crybaby" is name calling and uncalled for.  How about:  "Why are you upset?"  His answer:   "Because I am trying to eat and this interloper is showing up and about to get in between our good thing, that is why!!!"

And some cash.  Just sayin'.......

Yeah taking her shopping on her first day in 'Merica at a consignment shop is tacky.

At least he could have done was take her to an outlet. 

• Love 7
34 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

The least he could have done was buy his son a bed, lol!

They probably have those at Goodwill!

Habitat for humanity also runs a store with some of the new items that are donated to them that they can't put in homes.  I bet they would have a child bed at a super reasonable price.  Goodness, even Craigslist.  Just get a new mattress

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

The least he could have done was buy his son a bed, lol!

Yeah right? Idiot buys lingerie for her but not a separate bed for his kid - great plan there. Anny go home- with his ability to prioritize it'll be a long two years for you.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

Yeah right? Idiot buys lingerie for her but not a separate bed for his kid - great plan there. Anny go home- with his ability to prioritize it'll be a long two years for you.

It is one thing if a guy says, straight out of the gate:  "Look, I only eat dollar meals, I shop at Aldi, I clip coupons, I groupon when I can, etc" and then the new bride is not taken surprised.  (I still think there is room for a nice meal out when she lands, though!)  But I get the feeling there is a lot of talk and not cattle at the end of the day.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I’m still team Robert. Anny was only happy when she was getting “ sexy” trashy lingerie. Shit ain’t La Perla.

Id like to point out to her that Chanel has no Espicy line, and that her clothing is not expensive, elegant, or flattering to her no waist having self. Since all she offers is her rather basic good looks, she better start passing up the rice and tostones, cuz she looked like a sausage bursting it’s casing in that shiteous jumpsuit and sweatshop made lingerie. Beautiful women from Latin America trying to get a green card are a dime a dozen. Sure, go to Miami. You’ll be a Duff there. Even Robert can do better than her sullen ass.

Id like to see his hair down. It looks quite nice. And Bryson is a gorgeous child. Beautiful enough to be a child model. He’d probably out earn his Daddy. 

• Love 6

I don't think Robert "lured" Anny to America.  What is Robert, some guy with magical powers?   If Anny had a brain she would have known Robert was cheap; he went to see her while he was on a cruise, didn't even bother to fly to the DR to see her.

• Love 7

I don't think the cruise is dispositive.  Maybe he told her he wanted to take a cruise and it just happened to stop off in the DR, so that way if they didn't like each other...no harm, no foul.  

What makes me think he didn't misrepresent himself is because he just doesn't seem like the type to front.

And I'm not sure he had much reason to.  Anny isn't ugly, but as far as beautiful Latina women looking for a green card and financial stability, she is a little older, a tad "curvier" and not stunning.  

At this point she may be down to the colts and the Roberts of the world.

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 9
6 hours ago, Neurochick said:

he went to see her while he was on a cruise, didn't even bother to fly to the DR to see her.

As has been mentioned earlier, you don't need a passport on a cruise. And I guarantee you he owes back child support, so he can't get a passport.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Azubah said:

As has been mentioned earlier, you don't need a passport on a cruise. And I guarantee you he owes back child support, so he can't get a passport.

Could he sponsor someone on a k1 visa if he owed back child support?  

• Useful 4
12 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Good question. I only know about the passport issue because of a homeless guy I was working with who needed two forms of government photo ID and couldn't really get them. I'll see if I can find anything about.

• Useful 2
On 11/13/2019 at 9:29 PM, greekmom said:

Yeah taking her shopping on her first day in 'Merica at a consignment shop is tacky.

At least he could have done was take her to an outlet. 

The trouble with shopping at Goodwill (even at Marshall's) is that you have to weed through a lot of stuff you're not interested in to find the good stuff.  In a new clothing store, your choices are much fewer and are organized in a way that makes it easy to find things you are interested in.  He should have taken her to a mid-range department store for this first visit, with a budget amount specified.  To a person unfamiliar with Goodwill or Salvation Army stores, the array of clothing--individual items without a group  where you simply find your size--must be confusing and sort of awful.  Plus it's not where you want to shop with your husband--you need time to poke through everything.

IMO it's insane to buy jeans anywhere else.

• Love 5

I noticed during the thrift store argument (in front of the saleswoman, no less) Robert told Anny he couldn’t buy her an iPhone because he had to take care of his house and car without mentioning Bryson OR HIS OTHER FOUR KIDS! 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, RealReality said:

8 hours ago, blubld43 said:

I certainly wouldn't think so!

8 hours ago, Azubah said:

A quick search suggests that back child support is not an automatic kibosh on a K1.

• Useful 2
17 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't think Robert "lured" Anny to America.  What is Robert, some guy with magical powers?   If Anny had a brain she would have known Robert was cheap; he went to see her while he was on a cruise, didn't even bother to fly to the DR to see her.

Anny might not be that bright and she might be demanding even if Robert was treating her well.

But, we have no way of knowing this, because he has treated her like a thirft store bargain and shown her zero respect.  Calling her "shorty" is a symptom of this.

Robert is a broke, cheap, pig,  with 5 kids by 4 women, who verbally abuses his son and "shorty".   

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Anny might not be that bright and she might be demanding even if Robert was treating her well.

But, we have no way of knowing this, because he has treated her like a thirft store bargain and shown her zero respect.  Calling her "shorty" is a symptom of this.

Robert is a broke, cheap, pig,  with 5 kids by 4 women, who verbally abuses his son and "shorty".   

I've only heard "shorty" used as a term of affection, nothing derogatory. 

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Azubah said:

A quick search suggests that back child support is not an automatic kibosh on a K1.

I figure if a convicted arsonist and stalker with no money other than what mommy gives him (Paul) can sponsor a K1 fiancee, the requirements must be pretty low.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
Just now, AZChristian said:

Wouldn't it also be demeaning to a man to be called "Shorty"?

Yes, in a different way, though.   With a man, it would be making fun of his height.  When a man calls women "shorties" I take is as him thinking of them like objects.  "Broads" or "skirts" would seem like the closest old fashioned equivalents.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Bryce Lynch said:

Yes, in a different way, though.   With a man, it would be making fun of his height.  When a man calls women "shorties" I take is as him thinking of them like objects.  "Broads" or "skirts" would seem like the closest old fashioned equivalents.  

I'm under 5' tall.  I've been called Shorty - a lot.  I always took it as a reflection of (lack of) height.  I never thought of it as a disrespectful term for my gender.

• Love 3

“Shorty” or Shawty as the pronunciation changes the further you travel down 95 South, is not a derogatory term at all, but it’s definitely not something I’ve been called by anyone over the age of 21 or since I turned 21. 

But Robert reminds me of some lost member of the Dipset crew who hasn’t fully grasped that it’s no longer 2002.

Edited by charmed1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
Just now, charmed1 said:

“Shorty” or Shawty as the pronunciation changes the further you travel down 95 South, is not a derogatory term at all, but it’s definitely not something I’ve been called by anyone over the age of 21 or since I turned 21. 

But Robert reminds me as some lost member of the Dipset crew who hasn’t fully grasped that it’s no longer 2002.

Robert definitely feels like a caricature of a guy from Brooklyn in the 1990s.   

To, "shorty" is sort of a dismissive way to refer to women.  You definitely wouldn't tell your boss, "We have 2 men and 3 shorties coming in to interview for the Marketing Director position today."  

• LOL 1
50 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

You definitely wouldn't tell your boss, "We have 2 men and 3 shorties coming in to interview for the Marketing Director position today."  

But you might say to your friends, "I got my shorty coming by, gotta get you out and clean up because I'm cooking her dinner."  To me, it is not an insult (even though I'm vertically challenged)...and it beats the hell out of the other words some people use to discuss women.

• Love 11
34 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

But you might say to your friends, "I got my shorty coming by, gotta get you out and clean up because I'm cooking her dinner."  To me, it is not an insult (even though I'm vertically challenged)...and it beats the hell out of the other words some people use to discuss women.

It definitely beats some of the vulgar terms used to describe women.  But, I still find it sort of mildly demeaning.  It feels like belittling women and treating like them something slightly lower than men. YMMV.  

I think shorty is a dated, but acceptable term of endearment.  You wouldn't tell your boss you have "3 babes" coming to a meeting either.  But babe is generally an acceptable term of endearment.

Edited by RealReality
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I completely agree with this.  I think Anny is a sweetheart and she deserves a lot better than Robert the slacker Uber driver.  I think it's outrageous that he has five children by four women.  He should be working around the clock to pay child support, not flouncing around with potential babymama No. 5. 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I'm under 5' tall.  I've been called Shorty - a lot.  I always took it as a reflection of (lack of) height.  I never thought of it as a disrespectful term for my gender.

For me, too. I am 4'10".

It's been a term of endearment, used for both genders and all ages, for almost 20 years now. It even shows up in songs: "Hey shorty, it's your birthday..." etc Not any different than calling someone "baby, "love", "buddy", etc.

I had honestly never seen it referenced as a derrogatory term until this thread. Robert shows  lot of douchey behavior I can bitch about, but he gets a pass from me on that.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, RealReality said:

I think shorty is a dated, but acceptable term of endearment.  You wouldn't tell your boss you have "3 babes" coming to a meeting either.  But babe is generally an acceptable term of endearment.

I loathe people calling each other babe. Don’t get me started on those people like Darcey calling themselves queens and kings. 

Shorty it is then. Beats princess too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6