Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Who Knows What Tomorrow Brings

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

To air on November 6, 2019:

Dr. Charles and Dr. Halstead sink their teeth into a bloodthirsty case. Dr. Marcel and Maggie throw a traditional crawfish boil for the staff. A new relationship blossoms while another is left on rocky ground.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! Dr. Marcel does not need to be ruined by touching April. She's done a good job ruining Ethan all by herself. I'm all for interracial relationships on TV and in real life. But just no on this one. Does any doctor in this hospital respect their patients wishes? Ethan like Will and Natalie decided that he knew best and made a bad situation worst. 

Elsa it's nice to know you're not frozen on the inside. So I guess she and Will are the next thing. Has Maggie ever heard of stranger danger? I don't care how much chemo you shared in one day or how many cute 10 year olds he teaches, you don't take a stranger home. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, spunky said:

Has Maggie ever heard of stranger danger? I don't care how much chemo you shared in one day or how many cute 10 year olds he teaches, you don't take a stranger home. 

I agree, Maggie was stupid for inviting a stranger into her home.  However, I wouldn't mind at all if he killed her, and then went after CeCe next.  Too bad he doesn't know about April and Natalie.   

Edited by Ohwell
Forgot Natalie
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I agree, Maggie was stupid for inviting a stranger into her home.  However, I wouldn't mind at all if he killed her, and then went after CeCe next.  Too bad he doesn't know about April and Natalie.   

Love it! The se writers are crazy! Ruining Dr. Marcel with April! Infuriating! And with that booze scene...yeah, they are also ruining his character by making him an alcholic. He'll probably drink and kill a patient, get fired or jump off the roof. This is one f'd up show. Lol

• Love 5

As a veteran, I was totally disgusted at how the writers vilified the military in order to advance the cause of moronic April.  

Many times, the military relies on civilian hospitals and physicians for various reasons to treat service members (usually in an emergency but sometimes because they offer treatment not available at a military facility.  I recall being sent to a civilian facility more than once during my military career).  I can't imagine putting a military member's life in jeopardy the way it happened in this episode.  Appalling -- in general, but especially a few days before Veterans' Day.

Here, Choi did the right thing.  And the real military (not the make believe evil military in the heads of the writers) would have done the right thing in making sure the patient was healthy enough to move to a military hospital and then had her transferred.

The problem is that most people have zero personal knowledge of the military.  And now, those who watched this show think the military is the incarnation of evil when the real military does care about its sick and injured service members. And the writers think that April was correct.  She wasn't.  She's an idiot.    But that's where we are.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I can agree to him killing all the others, especially Natalie and April. But I like my girl Maggie, I just need her to make better romantic decisions.

• Love 3

Lets have a bunch of people over 35 act like a bunch of 25 year olds..........then we wonder why society is degenerated. Nataloon and Will were actually the tolerable part of this episode as they actually were consumed with medical issues.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I have only watched this series from the last half of last season through to the present.  So any prior backstory to any of the characters I know nothing about.  That being said.

Elsa comes off to me as socially awkward.  Unwilling to spill her emotions, and not just at her job.   She did open up a bit at the crawfish boil to Will.  I feel bad for her.  I think she is nothing more than a place holder until Will and Natalie get back together, and at that point Will will totally discard her.

I understand what you are saying, but people have been having one night stands since the stone age.  That said, I thought her inviting him into her home probably wasn't the best idea in the world.

I find it hard to believe that Dr. Marcel wouldn't no that April and Choi are in a relationship.  Marcel gives a creepy arrogant vibe with no boundaries.  He fits in at Chicago Med.

I wasn’t too keen on her inviting him into her home after just meeting him. Dr. Marcel knows, I don’t think he cares. He also seems to be good friends with Maggie and Doris, while everyone one else are the people he works with.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't know the back stories of CeCe and Maggie, but from what I have watched from the last half of last season until now, I kind of like them.

My issue with CeCe is that she's just too damn nosy, interfering in other people's relationships by trying to set them up.  She had no business surprising Dr. Goodwin by inviting her ex to dinner without her knowledge.  Then last night, she's encouraging Maggie to go out with the chemo guy when Maggie is perfectly capable of making that decision on her own.  I understand that CeCe thinks she's not long for this life and is trying to make the most of it, but she needs to stay out of other people's business.  

My issue with Maggie is that she's just dull as dishwater.

April must have some kind of invisible pork chop tied around her neck that only hounds like Dr. Marcel and Choi can see.  Otherwise, I fail to see why these men are falling over themselves over her.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9

Can a attending physician even date a medical student? That gives off all sorts of HR vibes as being sexual harassment. He is her immediate supervisor and I can’t believe that is permitted.

Oh well I guess this just another bullshit plot device like violating HIPPA and never abiding by the patients wishes because you know better.

Did I just see Fonzie ride by? Again.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Can a attending physician even date a medical student? That gives off all sorts of HR vibes as being sexual harassment. He is her immediate supervisor and I can’t believe that is permitted.

Only on Grey's Anatomy  🤣

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

As a veteran, I was totally disgusted at how the writers vilified the military in order to advance the cause of moronic April.  

Many times, the military relies on civilian hospitals and physicians for various reasons to treat service members (usually in an emergency but sometimes because they offer treatment not available at a military facility.  I recall being sent to a civilian facility more than once during my military career).  I can't imagine putting a military member's life in jeopardy the way it happened in this episode.  Appalling -- in general, but especially a few days before Veterans' Day.

Here, Choi did the right thing.  And the real military (not the make believe evil military in the heads of the writers) would have done the right thing in making sure the patient was healthy enough to move to a military hospital and then had her transferred.

The problem is that most people have zero personal knowledge of the military.  And now, those who watched this show think the military is the incarnation of evil when the real military does care about its sick and injured service members. And the writers think that April was correct.  She wasn't.  She's an idiot.    But that's where we are.  

Thank you.  I'm not an expert but it seems logical to me that the military would also have given her leave to attend her sister's wedding so the whole AWOL thing was ridiculous.  Hollywood's persistent demonization of the military is disgusting to me.

This show.  Can it get any more ludicrous??  Of course it can. Stay tuned, folks.

I despise April and Natalie.  That is all.

• Love 10

Do the doctors ever call their legal counsel? It would seem that might help with some of these situations, but they just wait for the fallout. Sharon should have their number handy.....every week huge legal issues. I suppose they are so much above the law....they don't care.

Good point about the military. I failed to the point there were trying to make. Silly. And, then at the end Choi is a sniffling, pathetic excuse of a man.....uhhhhhh...

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Do the doctors ever call their legal counsel? It would seem that might help with some of these situations, but they just wait for the fallout.

The hospital retains legal counsel. In fact he was in last week's episode when Nataloon was mistreating the boy against his parents wishes.

• Love 5

Dick Wolf hates the military, law enforcement, the clergy, people of faith (except Muslims) and normals of all stripes. So I am not surprised that he treated the military in such a negative and the unrealistic basis.

Dick Wolf, the show runners and the writers of this show are not good people.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Dick Wolf hates the military, law enforcement, the clergy, people of faith (except Muslims) and normals of all stripes. So I am not surprised that he treated the military in such a negative and the unrealistic basis.

Dick Wolf created Law and Order and all those spin offs. They were/are mostly pro law enforcement and the justice system. Law and Order ran for a full twenty seasons, Law and Order SVU for more. That’s a pretty strong collection of pro cop stories.

As to the anti people of faith (except Muslims) I find that spurious as well.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Dick Wolf hates the military.....you do realize Wolf has supported the military in many philanthropic ventures, is a registered Republican and supported law enforcement with 30 years of tv programming to back it up. I think you are confusing the typical lazy writing on this show with intent.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 11/6/2019 at 10:19 PM, dogdays2 said:

Many thanks for this post. It doesn't seem possible that the Army would be so indifferent to the medical situation of one of their own as to insist on moving her immediately at great risk to her life. Choi wasn't tattling, he wanted to bring her VA doctor into the loop, not because he was a slave to all things military as April implied.

I don't think Dick Wolf hates the military but what happened in this episode reminds me of some of the storylines in the Law & Order franchise where the military justice system conflicted with the civil one, particularly over matters of jurisdiction.

As for the poor girl and her mother - yes, brain bleeds may be fatal and there may not be anything that can be done, as Dr. Abrams dispassionately explained. Having faced a similar situation in real life, I think it is just as well to hear a realistic assessment of the possibilities and options and not be given false hopes.

• Love 2
On 11/8/2019 at 12:21 AM, NYCFree said:

Dick Wolf created Law and Order and all those spin offs. They were/are mostly pro law enforcement and the justice system. Law and Order ran for a full twenty seasons, Law and Order SVU for more. That’s a pretty strong collection of pro cop stories.

Thank you. I was confused as to what the complaint was about.

Edited by spunky
  • Love 1

The blanket refusal to respect the religious beliefs of the Jehovah Witnesses in this episode is typical of the portrayal of people of faith. If you went back and viewed the portrayal of priests and minsters in Law and Order you will find they are always the perpetrator of the crime. The rapists and the criminals. If Dick Wolf is registered as a Republican it is a smokescreen which costs him nothing. His shows are always the most politically correct pap to be found on television today. His so called support of the police is epitomized by Chicago PD where all the cops are criminals and all the sinners saints

You can see this evidenced in this Very episode as you saw the depiction of the military and the Jehovah Witnesses as being the “other” who must be thwarted by the people who know better than these troglodytes. Please believe the evidence of your own lying eyes.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

someone help a girl out because I've been racking my brain since watching this episode. Where do I know the actor playing Maggie's new boyfriend? I can clearly see him in my mind as a younger man but for the life of me I can't place him!

12 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

IDK, he seems to love Saint Olivia Benson on L&O, SVU.  

• Love 4
13 hours ago, preeya said:

The hospital retains legal counsel. In fact he was in last week's episode when Nataloon was mistreating the boy against his parents wishes.

I wondered why they didn't in this case when they were trying to remove a sick person who needed surgery. Not on military base or federal property.  So, uniform soldiers waltz into judge's chambers and get court order in minutes?  Hmm.....it doesn't work that way.  Papers to file first, etc.  But, I've given up on this show and its crazy stories. I really should just stop watching. 

• Useful 1
11 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

someone help a girl out because I've been racking my brain since watching this episode. Where do I know the actor playing Maggie's new boyfriend? I can clearly see him in my mind as a younger man but for the life of me I can't place him!

His name is Charles Malik Whitfield

13 minutes ago, Sake614 said:

His name is Charles Malik Whitfield and I think he's best known for playing Otis Williams in the 1998 miniseries The Temptations.  He's also in a show called Last Call on the Bounce network but I don't watch that. 

3 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

The blanket refusal to respect the religious beliefs of the Jehovah Witnesses in this episode is typical of the portrayal of people of faith. If you went back and viewed the portrayal of priests and minsters in Law and Order you will find they are always the perpetrator of the crime. The rapists and the criminals. If Dick Wolf is registered as a Republican it is a smokescreen which costs him nothing. His shows are always the most politically correct pap to be found on television today. His so called support of the police is epitomized by Chicago PD where all the cops are criminals and all the sinners saints

You can see this evidenced in this Very episode as you saw the depiction of the military and the Jehovah Witnesses as being the “other” who must be thwarted by the people who know better than these troglodytes. Please believe the evidence of your own lying eyes.

You could try getting your facts straight before blaming my “lying eyes.” The Jehovah Witness case was last week. In that case, Will was portrayed as over riding the parents wishes because he mistakenly thought his patient no longer had the same religious beliefs. When the patient came to and was distraught over having received the blood, Will was shown to be upset and chastened about his wrong assumption.

On the original Law and Order, it is true that at times clergy were the perpetrators of crimes, as does happen in real life. Many other times there was shown to be a conflict between the clergy and law enforcement (such as the sanctity of the confessional vs identity of the criminal). This conflict would be the basis of the plot that week, it wasn’t anti-religion, but an exploration of the conflict that opposing needs generates.

Edited by NYCFree
  • Love 7

Will overrode the parents beliefs because he had no respect for them and brushed them aside by manufacturing a lie to justify overriding their wishes. In fact the wishes of the patient when he regained consciousness and was horrified that his religious beliefs were discarded.

I will have to take your word about Law and Order because I stopped watching it ten years ago because of its Out of control political correctness and twisting the narrative against every businessman, clergymen, military member or person of faith. 

I think it might be time to stop watching this crap as well.

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, NYCFree said:

You could try getting your facts straight before blaming my “lying eyes.” The Jehovah Witness case was last week. In that case, Will was portrayed as over riding the parents wishes because he mistakenly thought his patient no longer had the same religious beliefs. When the patient came to and was distraught over having received the blood, Will was shown to be upset and chastened about his wrong assumption.

On the original Law and Order, it is true that at times clergy were the perpetrators of crimes, as does happen in real life. Many other times there was shown to be a conflict between the clergy and law enforcement (such as the sanctity of the confessional vs identity of the criminal). This conflict would be the basis of the plot that week, it wasn’t anti-religion, but an exploration of the conflict that opposing needs generates.

Thank you for this post.    I agree with you.   Will acted based on the patient's drug/alcohol levels and his tattoo. He was not disrespecting the parents.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, NYCFree said:

17 hours ago, Donder said:

Dick Wolf hates the military.....you do realize Wolf has supported the military in many philanthropic ventures, is a registered Republican and supported law enforcement with 30 years of tv programming to back it up. I think you are confusing the typical lazy writing on this show with intent.

Thank you.

IMHO you're both right!

• Love 2

Regardless, I knew Will would figure a way to treat him...also on the vampire guy...I said out loud when the guy ran out of ED, give up vampire boy, you WILL be treated. Lol I knew Will would find a way to treat him.  Granted, this time I guess the patient was not operating under his own will. Patients entering that ED just may as well give up...lol.

• Love 3

He was totally disrespectful by ignoring their rights as next of kin because he did not agree with their religious principles. He was totally wrong because when the patient woke up he was horrified. He manufactured a pretext to do what he wanted in violation of the patients rightS not the first time either. I am sure he would not have been so blasé about other religions.

For example would he transplant a pigs heart valve into a Muslim or Orthodox Jewish patient against the wishes of their parents? I think not.

The Jehovah Witnesses might seem strange and alien to many people but they deserve the same deference as other religions. 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

He was totally disrespectful by ignoring their rights as next of kin because he did not agree with their religious principles. He was totally wrong because when the patient woke up he was horrified. He manufactured a pretext to do what he wanted in violation of the patients rightS not the first time either. I am sure he would not have been so blasé about other religions.

For example would he transplant a pigs heart valve into a Muslim or Orthodox Jewish patient against the wishes of their parents? I think not.

The Jehovah Witnesses might seem strange and alien to many people but they deserve the same deference as other religions. 

1–you still are missing the fact that Will was portrayed as deeply troubled once he found out he had misinterpreted his patient’s break from the teachings of the Jehovah’s Witness followers. The show portrayed Will as in the wrong.

2-there have been Dick Wolf shows that do also show Muslim or Jewish Orthodox practitioners negatively. One was on either original L&O or SVU where one of a girl’s parents killed the doctor that was to perform a cliterectomy on their daughter at the request of the other parent. Another L&O show was based on an Orthodox Jewish man killing based on destruction of a sacred book that turned out to have a bogus history. 

3-drama is based on conflict. Showing the conflict between opposing beliefs and their affect on modern society is a central motif in literature, movies and television. Watching these types of conflicts seem to be distressing to you, life is short, why put yourself through the agita?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, NYCFree said:

2-there have been Dick Wolf shows that do also show Muslim or Jewish Orthodox practitioners negatively. One was on either original L&O or SVU where one of a girl’s parents killed the doctor that was to perform a cliterectomy on their daughter at the request of the other parent. Another L&O show was based on an Orthodox Jewish man killing based on destruction of a sacred book that turned out to have a bogus history. 

Thanks for proving my point. The problem with a Dick Wolf show is that he never portrays people of faith in a positive way.

It’s not drama. It’s propaganda.

• Love 1

To me this would be a big red flag:

Dr. Choi: "Forgive me?"

April: "Yes"

No talking about his point of view, how they can deal with things as a couple, comprise, use your words, nothing.  Just grovel to Saint April for the next 50 years

• Love 8
46 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Thanks for proving my point. The problem with a Dick Wolf show is that he never portrays people of faith in a positive way.

It’s not drama. It’s propaganda.

You keep shifting the goal posts. I was responding to your specific point that seemed to indicate there was an anti Christian bias. In your first post you even specified Muslims as the only religion not hated by Dick Wolf. In a later post you had Muslims and Jewish people as an example where you believed Dick Wolf wouldn’t devalue their religion. I was showing there have been times when conflict within those religions were shown.

There have been many story lines across the Dick Wolf Law and Order universe and the Chicago group that have portrayed religion and Clergy in a positive manner. Two examples from the current Chicago world are the reoccurring characters of the two different Fire Fighter Chaplains. Both seen as men of great compassion and beloved by their communities.

At this point I’ll just give up and concede you don’t actually  want to debate the shows. You said you haven’t watched the Law and Order world in over ten years.

• Love 2

I felt bad for vampire boy because he clearly has issues beyond his physical issues assuming he overcomes those. In 8 months he let himself get caught up in this weird vampire idea with some girl--clearly there are underlying issues there that don't just go away.

• Love 2
On 11/7/2019 at 6:52 AM, icemiser69 said:

I find it hard to believe that Dr. Marcel wouldn't know that April and Choi are in a relationship. 

He knows...but he's powerless to resist April, just like countless other men on the show. She's the female Severide. 

Re: Will and the Jehovah's Witness parents - He told them he was also "a man of faith," which kinda bugged me, as we have had little to no indication of this. We know that Will was brought up Catholic, attending Catholic school and serving as an altar boy. But so were a lot of people, and it really has no bearing on them as adults. Will has had no qualms whatsoever living with a couple different women, and he's never as much as mentioned attending Mass. So are we to think this is a weird writers' thing, or just that he was trying to get the patient's parents to relate to him better?

• LOL 1