Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E08: Dance-Off Week

• Start Topic

42 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

If they want to go down the redemption angle, then get some former drunk or someone who sincerely made a mistake and regrets it,

Andy Dick comes to mind! Seems like this show has a redemption person, an old person, an ABC family person, a kid's show person, an obscure singing group person and so forth every season.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Sarah Heart said:

Lamar this season, rewriting  history, has vile.

True, he would have been more sympathetic if he had admitted he screwed up instead of pretending he didn't know he was in a brothel.  But still, I wouldn't call him vile. He hurt himself and his family, but not anyone else.

He was a horrible dancer though, so it wouldn't have really mattered, anyway.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, TVbitch said:

When they chose Jenna to stand in for Lindsay, I thought maybe that was to help get rid of him. 🙂

Enough has been said about the Sean problem, the real conspiracy is how is Jenna back after being eliminated last week???  I had that one small moment of happiness and even that was taken away.  

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

I don't understand why they kept saying that Kate was dancing the jive to "Heat Wave" by Linda Ronstadt. The song was originally recorded by Martha & the Vandellas and Ronstadt did a cover of it, but they did not use Ronstadt's cover in the dance. They used some generic house cover which was horrible. Bizarre.

I think it's safe to say that Sean Spicer's inclusion is literally ruining the show for many fans. There have always been celebrities who outstayed better dancers - Bill Engvall comes to mind. But people voted for Engvall because they liked his personality and found him charming. People aren't voting for Spicer because they like him, they are voting for him to make some kind of political point. That's what's ruining the show.

And I agree with a post upthread that it's likely the judges are now being overly generous with their scores just to mitigate the damage, as if to somewhat legitimize his continued presence. They know he's awful, they know why he's still there, and they're trying their best to pretend otherwise. It's just not a good look.

• Love 19
17 hours ago, vdw84 said:

I actually liked kate better in her jive than cha cha cha, she was just as bad as Sean and that is not good but she didnt deserve to go over him.

Respectfully disagree that Kate was as bad as Sean. Sean is pigeon toed and I'm surprised no one has mentioned that (not that I've seen). Sean always looks like he is going to fall over. The man has absolutely no aptitude for dance.

Kate, OTOH, is world's better than Sean.

• Love 16
Just now, luvthepros said:

Respectfully disagree that Kate was as bad as Sean. Sean is pigeon toed and I'm surprised no one has mentioned that (not that I've seen). Sean always looks like he is going to fall over. The man has absolutely no aptitude for dance.

Kate, OTOH, is world's better than Sean.

I was just referring to the danceoff, tho she was clearly better than him, I thought overall they were both pretty bad in that cha cha cha but yes kate is def. a better dancer and didnt deserve to go over sean.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, vdw84 said:

She could have been supporting Lauren, werent they all on American Idol?

About Kellie Pickler being in the audience - she was also on The Real today so she was probably making appearances in the LA area.  Carrie Ann Inaba is now a member of the panel and they brought up her winning her season of DWTS, showed some picture from that and she promoted her upcoming Hallmark movie.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

About Kellie Pickler being in the audience - she was also on The Real today so she was probably making appearances in the LA area.  Carrie Ann Inaba is now a member of the panel and they brought up her winning her season of DWTS, showed some picture from that and she promoted her upcoming Hallmark movie.  

What are you talking about?

17 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

she was also on The Real today so she was probably making appearances in the LA area.  Carrie Ann Inaba is now a member of the panel

I think you are confusing "The Real" and "The Talk".  Carrie Ann is on "The Talk".

Speaking of Carrie Ann, she made a big point last week of Hanna not connecting with the mood of her dances.  HB would do a serious dance like the Rumba or Paso and just grin from ear to ear (pageant face) throughout.   Carrie Ann correctly critiqued her for not staying in a serious dance mood.  This week HB had to dance a very peppy, happy dance and of course she was still grinning from ear to ear, but CAI praised her for finally "connecting" with the dance mood.  IMHO Hannah did NOTHING different, just the mood of the dance was different.  WTG Carrie Ann!

• Love 10
5 hours ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

Don’t get me wrong, she’s a good dancer, but I think the judges are just in love with her and will nitpick anything that Hannah does.  Spicer thing aside, I think Ally may win the whole thing, even over James, who I think just may deserve it.

Two bottom 2 appearances doesnt bode well for Ally winning. Especially with the new format where they cant do a fakeout bottom two. The judges are inflating her scores to help her lack of votes..much like Juan Pablo last season. He danced like a pro every week, the judges cranked out 9’s and 10’s but in the end the fanbase wasn't there. 

• Love 3

The show casts people who are controversial and then the judges, hosts and fans whine and pearl-clutch when  the controversial person stays beyond their sell-by. Personally I think DWTS jumped the shark years ago and their goofball casting is a big part of it.  You get a polarizing person and you're just asking for this to happen.  Frankly, I find it all hilarious.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, UncleChuck said:

I think you are confusing "The Real" and "The Talk".  Carrie Ann is on "The Talk".

Speaking of Carrie Ann, she made a big point last week of Hanna not connecting with the mood of her dances.  HB would do a serious dance like the Rumba or Paso and just grin from ear to ear (pageant face) throughout.   Carrie Ann correctly critiqued her for not staying in a serious dance mood.  This week HB had to dance a very peppy, happy dance and of course she was still grinning from ear to ear, but CAI praised her for finally "connecting" with the dance mood.  IMHO Hannah did NOTHING different, just the mood of the dance was different.  WTG Carrie Ann!

You’re probably right. I dvr’d both and watched them one after the other so the shows blurred in my mind. Thanks for pointing that out.

41 minutes ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

What are you talking about?

Someone mentioned that Kellie Pickler was in the audience and wondered why she was there.

Edited by Koalagirl
Edited incorrect word out.
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

Two bottom 2 appearances doesnt bode well for Ally winning. Especially with the new format where they cant do a fakeout bottom two. The judges are inflating her scores to help her lack of votes..much like Juan Pablo last season. He danced like a pro every week, the judges cranked out 9’s and 10’s but in the end the fanbase wasn't there. 

Yes, I think Ally and Kel will be in the bottom two since they've already been there.  As one of the judges mentioned, this season is interesting because there are a lot of good dancers but no ringers.  But that's also why it's frustrating that Sean is still there.  There is such a big gap between him and the other dancers.

As for Kate, if you don't count Spicer, she was the right one to leave.  She didn't have her best performances last night.  Lauren was a hot mess too.

Hannah was really good.  But I always expected her to do well in the ballroom dances especially with her dance training/lyrical style.  She just doesn't know how to portray anything else besides pageant smile.  I did think she did well in the salsa.

As others have mentioned, I don't know who Spicer voters are sticking it to.  Lauren and Hannah are good ole country girls.  James is a family man with lots of kids.  I thought it was really nice that Ally paid a visit to her old school.  Since I watch for the dancing, it's not fun to watch people like Spicer.  This is not a political opinion since I didn't like watching Joe or Bobby outlasting good dancers either.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 11
39 minutes ago, limecoke said:

The show casts people who are controversial and then the judges, hosts and fans whine and pearl-clutch when  the controversial person stays beyond their sell-by. Personally I think DWTS jumped the shark years ago and their goofball casting is a big part of it.  You get a polarizing person and you're just asking for this to happen.  Frankly, I find it all hilarious.

Well, yeah, but the hosts and judges don't cast the show.  What is a host going to do about it? Same with fans.  We have no say over the cast so of course people that were fans of the show are going to whine over a show we once like feeling ruined.  The fans whining is probably the only way TPTB will change anything going forward.  

And yeah, again we have had tons of controversial people before but we are still in new territory when they are being backed by the leader of the free world on a weekly basis.  

Anyway, without knowledge of personal politics (though I know which way Kate leans from her own social media), I am gaining even more respect for Pasha and Kate in terms of how they are brushing aside the Spicer questions right now.  Sure that might change I guess and they aren't going to badmouth the guy, but so far they are one of the only couples that aren't acting like Sean is their new best friend.  It's also not because they are bitter because they come off as anything but and just keep saying the votes are the votes, but it's a world of difference from Karamo last week acting like he and Sean are about to star in their own buddy comedy.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 14
8 hours ago, TeeMo said:

I wonder if the over scoring they are giving Sean now is because they are stuck in a spot where his audience votes are so far ahead of some of the other remaining dancers that they know their scores don’t matter anyway. If they score him with 4s and 5s and he still beats people like Ally or Kate or Lauren then it looks especially bad for the premise of the show. If his judges scores are not as far off from the others and he sticks around it looks less shocking in some way? I don’t know if I explained what i am trying to say clearly. 

I think that's a valid possibility. And there's also the fact that, yeah, I'm frustrated that he keeps getting higher than necessary scores from the judges, but considering that I'm seeing people elsewhere talk about how "mean" the judges are being to him when they critique him, and how their criticism just motivates his supporters all the more, I feel like they're unfortunately in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation with this guy :/. 

7 hours ago, Runningwild said:

Probably when they started recruiting people connected to politics/politicians. Or when actors started using awards shows to lecture us on what we should think. Or when sports became political. 

I mean, that's far from being a new concept. Politics and entertainment being entwined have a long history, one that's been around well before this current political climate. 

That said, I do find it funny that I've heard nothing but complaints the last few years about how we need to keep politics and entertainment separate, but letting Spicer stick around like this is apparently totally okay. 

I do have to hand it to Sean, his intro packages seem focused on everything but politics. 

His comments elsewhere speak otherwise, though. 

• Love 9

The show casts people who are controversial and then the judges, hosts and fans whine and pearl-clutch when  the controversial person stays beyond their sell-by. Personally I think DWTS jumped the shark years ago and their goofball casting is a big part of it.  You get a polarizing person and you're just asking for this to happen. 

There's a big difference between having a controversial celebrity you don't care for, but understand why people like them and are voting for them. Sean is a different subject. People aren't voting for him because the like him or like his "dancing." They're voting because they want to make a political point. And that's very frustrating. It's also a key difference.

And there's also the fact that, yeah, I'm frustrated that he keeps getting higher than necessary scores from the judges, but considering that I'm seeing people elsewhere talk about how "mean" the judges are being to him when they critique him, and how their criticism just motivates his supporters all the more, I feel like they're unfortunately in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation with this guy :/. 

I'm not sure that's true though. Especially now with live voting. A lot of the people voting for Sean aren't even watching the show so it wouldn't matter if the judges gave him 1s or 10s. They're going to vote for him either way. There isn't any way to pacify that voting bloc into not voting. So why not give him 1s? I'm not sure I understand how the math works. Is there a score low enough to overcome the voting bloc no matter how big it is?

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 10

I came here first to see if Spicer was still there and then I deleted the show without watching it. The only thing the people who are voting for him are doing is turning people off the show. Now are they not only trying to "own the libs", now they are trying to "own the DWTS fans",  wtf ??

Edited by linthia
Typo
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, realdancemom said:

As others have mentioned, I don't know who Spicer voters are sticking it to.  Lauren and Hannah are good ole country girls.  James is a family man with lots of kids. 

And those are the types that this show usually has, and the audience usually favors. There are rarely any "libs" or "Hollyweird" on this show, and it's obvious which side of the political fence TPTB are on. So it's pretty laughable that Spicer is picking a fight with his own people.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, vdw84 said:

Ok big question im confused about. How in the hell were they able to meet up and know who they were dancing with in the danceoff before the airing of the show before scores were fully tallied in to determine who is safe from the danceoff?

I have already deleted last week's show but.......I seem to recall that last week James earned  immunity for this week's dance off because he was the highest scorer last week.

• Love 1

I didn't realize that Spicer has been campaigning for votes on right wing outlets. Look at this:

"Sean Spicer said he hopes his presence on Dancing with the Stars is continuing to send a powerful message to members of the intolerant left – that conservatives are “equal participants” and “cannot be canceled out” – during an appearance on Breitbart News Sunday"

I'm sorry but if this is not against the show's rules it should be.  Frankly, Spicer should be disqualified for blatant politicization of this season.  It's outrageous and terribly unfair to the other contestants who are quietly plugging away at trying to improve every week.  If there's an award for profit of the year, Tom Bergeron should get it.  If there's another award for A-hole(s) of the year the show runner/producers should get that one.

Edited by cali1981
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, UncleChuck said:

That’s it. It was The Talk.

Does anyone know how judge votes are combined with live votes? So someone gets a judge score of 30 and is at the top of the leader board, if they get NO votes from America, can that person end up in the bottom two? Then some dancer can get a score of 15 and be in last place, but how many live votes does that person need to get out of the bottom and be safe? I would imagine hundreds of thousands of votes are phoned/texted in.

How do voters' votes tally up, and is there a place where total scores are listed?

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Does anyone know how judge votes are combined with live votes? 

I don’t have a current reference but from memory of a few seasons ago, judges scores are all expressed as a percentage of total points for the night then added to the percentage of total fan votes received to arrive at the final score. So for example and by my math, Sean scored 20 out of a total 191 points last night or 10.5% while Ally scored 30/191 or 15.7%. Since she was bottom two and he wasn’t, the fan vote percentage made up the difference. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, suebee12 said:

As soon as I heard Sean was safe, I started yelling No, No, No, No, No!!!!! When he danced the judges were rough, almost cruel but yet gave him 7's. Why, Why, Why. Probably would not have made a difference this week, but maybe next week. I cannot believe people voting for him except for "meanness". You know that none of them are watching! And yes, the mermaids danced better!!!

Now on to Gleb...please keep your shirt on! Sorry but you body looked flabby and how can it when you dance all the time. Alan looked better and he left his on until he started to challenge Gleb! I agreed with all of the dance offs, but unfortunately it didn't get rid of Sean. 😥😥

the first week sean  posted that the judges scored him low becuase of his conservative religious. republican  affiliation, then a famous  republican tweeted him back that all the conservative should vote for sean and stick it to hollywood......then recently trump was telling people to vote for sean....I think originally they scored sean a little higher to keep the people from voting for him even more if they gave him a low vote,,,but that did not work

Edited by sue450
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

His comments elsewhere speak otherwise, though. 

Also Sean doesn't control his own edits, so to the poster saying he's not talking about politics, we really don't know that.  He's just not being edited by the show to talk about politics.  The thing about the show is I think they want the controversy and to bring the guy on, but then won't make him appear controversial on the show.  They want to make him a teddy bear every man nice guy.  I think the show leaving politics out of it is their way of attempting to humanize him.

The other part about owning the show I don't understand is from Sean's angle, he himself is claiming that he is becoming friends with these people.  He likes Lindsay and likes the pros and crew and etc.  Taking him at face value, what his fans are trying to do is get the show cancelled.  So they are trying to get the show cancelled so that Sean's friends all lose their livelihood?  What a great friend.

• LOL 3
  • Love 11

For the second week in a row, Bruno called Sasha Pasha. Oops. I do like Pasha, and hope he is back next season.

While I appreciate Sean's enthusiasm and attitude, it is time for him to go-he is not really even improving at this point.

No wonder James is such a good dancer, apparently it's in his genes. I also wonder, however, how much dance training he has actually had.  Regardless, he's still my favorite to win, with Kel being a close second-I'm really liking him as well.

I don't really care for either Hannah or Ally, and I'm still not sure about Lauren.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I don't think they should necessarily ban all politicians, just the unethical ones.

That's a very short list there then, lol. 
Has DWTS ever had a Dem politician on?   I haven't watched from the beginning, so I really don't know.   They've had Tom DeLay, Rick Perry, Tucker Carlson, Bristol Palin (twice), and now Spicey.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ladyrain said:

That's a very short list there then, lol. 
Has DWTS ever had a Dem politician on?   I haven't watched from the beginning, so I really don't know.   They've had Tom DeLay, Rick Perry, Tucker Carlson, Bristol Palin (twice), and now Spicey.

Technically, Jerry Springer would count - but he’s the only one.

I’ve read that both Bill and Hillary Clinton have been invited to do the show, but both turned it down.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I don't think they should necessarily ban all politicians, just the unethical ones. Geez, I long for the days when "controversial" meant someone like Kate Gosselin. She was annoying, but nowhere near as bad as Paula Deen, Tonya Harding, Ryan Lochte, Sean Spicer, etc. Those people were all vile and had no business being portrayed as sympathetic figures who needed redemption. If they want to go down the redemption angle, then get some former drunk or someone who sincerely made a mistake and regrets it, not bold-faced liars who are just trying to make a buck. Or get someone who is "controversial" in a good way like Colin Kaepernick or Megan Rapinoe.  

I don't know, I think all politicians is fair. Unless they're like, SUPER retired from politics, and they're doing the show to promote their charity that finds shoes for disadvantaged children with two different sized feet or something. 

I can't think of a politician I would want on the show, even one I liked. (If I like them, I want them to be doing important things, not this!) I think a lot of times, the complaint "don't talk about politics here" is used to silence marginalized voices, but in this context, it's already enforced. So you end up with this person whose mere existence is polarizing, you're not allowed to talk about the real, human cost reasons why you feel so strongly about it, and it devolves into the shittiest version of no substance, red team/blue team tribal politics. 

People who are famous for something else, but also have political views, I think are fair game. But when the show casts a purely political figure and then edits out all the politics to try to make them seem like your favorite problematic uncle, that's when it feels like they're just wallpapering over the elephant in the room. 

There's certain other "controversial" contestants it feels like this for too, like Paula Deen, but it's almost always true for politicians. Maybe the rule of thumb is, if they are famous for being a "controversial" figure, you have to be able to talk about WHY they're controversial. If you can't, no casting. The flip side of it, in the "good controversy" category, is if they cast someone like Colin Kaepernick, and then he wasn't allowed to talk about WHY what he's doing is so important to him, I would be infinitely frustrated.  

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, Sister Havana said:

Technically, Jerry Springer would count - but he’s the only one.

I’ve read that both Bill and Hillary Clinton have been invited to do the show, but both turned it down.

They asked Michelle Obama too and she turned them down and I think they asked about one their daughters being on the show too but they couldnt do it either.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

They asked Michelle Obama too and she turned them down and I think they asked about one their daughters being on the show too but they couldnt do it either.

Oh wow, Michelle would send ratings through the roof. She would never do it, though.

I would like to see a charismatic Democrat like Beto O'Rourke who isn't doing anything right now. I know Republicans hate him, but I'm not sure why. He hasn't called people haters like Spicer has.

• Love 8

I think this was the best overall night of dancing of the season so far. (The non-theme weeks are often better than the theme weeks for some reason.) It almost seemed like a barrier was crossed and all of the couples raised their game to a higher level. 

Even Lauren, who had some mistakes, and Kate, who was a little off, had solid content and technique (loved seeing both of them get their knees up, good leg action, respectable footwork) in their jives.

I'm a big fan of the dance-offs they do every year. With two competing couples in the floor, it's not possible to have extra stuff around them, so they have to just dance. I agreed with all the decisions: Kel and Ally could have gone either way; Kate was much improved from her first cha cha;. and Hannah nailed her salsa, which was chock full of difficult choreo, while Gleb went the over-sexed route again with Lauren.

• Love 4

Sorry for the long text.

Boy Band & Girl Group Hits Make Their Way Into the Ballroom as Six Celebrity and Pro-Dancer Couples Compete for the Coveted Mirrorball Trophy on ABC’s ‘Dancing with the Stars,’ Airing Monday, Nov. 11
            BOY BAND & GIRL GROUP HITS MAKE THEIR WAY INTO THE BALLROOM
  AS SIX CELEBRITY AND PRO-DANCER COUPLES COMPETE FOR THE COVETED MIRRORBALL TROPHY ON 
  ABC’S ‘DANCING WITH THE STARS,’ MONDAY, NOV. 11
Emma Bunton (Spice Girls) and Joey Fatone (*NSYNC) Will Be Guest Judges
“Boy Band & Girl Group Night” – Six celebrity and pro-dancer couples return to the ballroom to compete on the ninth week of the 2019 season of “Dancing with the Stars,” live, MONDAY, NOV. 11 (8:00-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC. (TV-PG, L) Episodes can also be viewed the next day on ABC.com, the ABC app and Hulu.
Choreographed by Brooke Wendle and Rodrigo Basurto, the show will open with a medley of songs from some of the most popular boy bands and girl groups in history. For this week, there will be two rounds of competitive dance performances.  In the first round, couples will dance to music from girl groups like TLC, Spice Girls, En Vogue and The Pointer Sisters, among others; the second round will be music from boy bands like Backstreet Boys, New Kids on the Block, Boyz II Men and *NSYNC. For the first time ever and joining Len, Bruno and Carrie Ann, two guest judges in the ballroom will be Emma Bunton (Baby Spice) of the Spice Girls and Joey Fatone of *NSYNC and “Dancing” alum. Emma will judge the girl group dances, while Joey will judge the boy band dances. 
Vying for America’s vote, each couple will dance to a variety of songs including The Supremes’ “You Can’t Hurry Love,” Spice Girls’ “Wannabe,” En Vogue’s “Free Your Mind,” The Pointer Sisters’ “I’m So Excited,” Backstreet Boys’ “I Want It That Way,” New Kids on the Block’s “Step by Step,” and Jonas Brothers’ “Only Human,” among others.
This week, the live vote (via abc.com, the ABC app and SMS/text) will be combined with the judges’ scores and tabulated in real time, with the bottom two revealed during the broadcast. The live votes will occur each week only during the live broadcast in the EST/CST time zones (but fans in all U.S. time zones may vote within that window). At the end of the night, Len Goodman, Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba will decide which celebrity up for elimination stays in the competition and which celebrity’s journey comes to an end. 
The couples (with their dance styles) are the following:
  Country artist Lauren Alaina and Gleb Savchenko (Quickstep and Rumba)
  Pop star Ally Brooke and Sasha Farber (Samba and Jazz)
  “The Bachelorette” Hannah Brown and Alan Bersten (Salsa and Tango)
  Comedian and actor Kel Mitchell and Witney Carson (Paso and Viennese Waltz)
  Former White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer and Lindsay Arnold (Argentine Tango and Samba)
  TV and film actor James Van Der Beek and Emma Slater (Jive and Jazz)
For the first time ever, “Dancing with the Stars” now has an official podcast! Every week with host Kym Johnson Herjavec, “Dancing with the Stars” fans can listen in and get a behind-the-ballroom perspective for all the latest backstage action, reactions and exclusive interviews with their favorite couples and cast members. These special access episodes will be released weekly on Tuesdays on Apple, Spotify, Acast and other podcast platforms. The “Dancing with the Stars Official Podcast” is produced by BBC Studios. David King is the producer, and Fabrizia Mauro and Lisa Ledterman are the managing producers.
Hosted by two-time Emmy® Award-winning hosts Tom Bergeron and Erin Andrews, “Dancing with the Stars” is the hit series in which celebrities perform choreographed dance routines that are judged by a panel of renowned ballroom experts, including head judge, Len Goodman, and dancers/choreographers Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

The couples (with their dance styles) are the following:

Country artist Lauren Alaina and Gleb Savchenko (Quickstep and Rumba)
  Pop star Ally Brooke and Sasha Farber (Samba and Jazz)
  “The Bachelorette” Hannah Brown and Alan Bersten (Salsa and Tango)
  Comedian and actor Kel Mitchell and Witney Carson (Paso and Viennese Waltz)
  Former White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer and Lindsay Arnold (Argentine Tango and Samba)
  TV and film actor James Van Der Beek and Emma Slater (Jive and Jazz)

Since Hannah just did salsa in the dance-off (and a pretty full-on one), I think it would have been better to have her do JIVE and Tango.

And since James just had contemporary, I think it would have been better for him to do Jive and FOXTROT.

• Love 3

I’ve avoided the forum and only watched the show in a half-butted fashion due to what I knew would be outage and disgust but honestly, and I know I’m in the minority, I find this all a bit funny. It’s a dancing show with C/D/E list celebrities competing for a disco ball. If they really wanted it to be about dance and honor then stop the voting entirely. So far no one has bowled me over other than Pasha who appears to be a very good teacher. James has been nice but I despise DWTS contemporary dances with the fire of a thousand nuns so this week sucked. I’m probably more upset with ABC about other things this week than anything that could happen on this show. While I’m not a reality show voter, and I may complain about winners and losers at times, I really don’t care who wins. But if TPTB are going to let the judges and hosts continue to act disgusted with the public’s votes I imagine the voting public will react in a way they may not like.

• Love 2

To those asking who Emma Bunton is from next week's judging panel, not only is she from the Spice Girls, but she was on British DWTS and did well.  She finished in third place in 2006.  Enjoy her favorite dance reprised from their finale.

As to the rest:

I have yet to see anyone, anywhere, say they actually enjoy watching Sean dance (and I have looked outside my usual sphere).  I am no stranger to voting for someone whose moves make me smile, even when I know the technique is not brilliant.  I’ve even occasionally voted for for off-the-floor reasons: I threw Chaz Bono a few, for instance, because even though his performance didn’t amaze me, I admired his chutzpah as an out trans man on national primetime in 2011.  In other words, it was a positive about Chaz, not a negative about anyone else.  Anyway, while I do usually prefer higher scorers, I won’t be precious and claim I’d only ever support anyone for “purity of dance” or whatever.

But genuinely, I think very few people are actually tuning in and finding what Sean does appealing.  Even allowing for the way some folks are just blown over when an older straight guy comes within ten feet of arts or culture, I cannot imagine anyone thinking Sean is actively doing anything worth supporting.  It’s all Huckabee telling his Twitter followers that Sean’s doing it on behalf of all the Christians who are having so much taken away from them, the promises to thumb some collective nose at “Hollyweird," etc.  As others have said, it’s not like this show had been casting Tarana Burke or theming sambas to Medicare for All until Sean broke through the ranks to speak for conservatives anyway.

All this is what bothers me, beyond his being called up at all.  I’m sure it’s obvious I don’t politically align with Sean, which I know is also generally off-topic here.  I bring it up to say that I didn’t politically align with Bristol Palin either, but I clearly understood why people found her disposition and effort appealing, and even allowed myself to be a bit impressed by her.  There is none of that in Sean.  If I just want to be “sent a message,” as Sean has directly promised his followers that he’ll do, I can come to know that message during the time I spend on politics.  I don’t need it via my tacky escapist reality shows.  I think I would feel differently if I believed that virtually anyone actually liked what he was doing on its own, but I just don’t.

Tom’s said it, many other posters have said it, and I’ve said it.  I’ll say it again.  The producers, with their promised “reboot,” should have focused on escapism in these trying times.  They should’ve doubled down on sitcom actors and pop singers from a decade or two ago, sports figures from the last few Olympics or retiring professional “classes,” maybe even a few noncontroversial figures from outside showbiz or sports like a Jane Goodall.  Do something for everyone to enjoy and bring up around the water cooler, and promote it as such.  I think that could’ve been a winner.

But I guess we’ll never know.  I read ratings were down another 5-10 points, so I wonder whether we’ll even get to find out whether they can redeem this season with the next one.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 12
On 11/4/2019 at 10:15 PM, madpsych78 said:

Couldn't TPTB just place Sean in the bottom two and lie about it? I mean, who would really know, right?

It's against the law.  Besides, when it would leak out that they cheated that would be the end of people watching.  This has people talking and maybe some Trumpers are watching when they don't usually watch.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, ramble said:

But if TPTB are going to let the judges and hosts continue to act disgusted with the public’s votes I imagine the voting public will react in a way they may not like.

So TPTB are going to make their employees act like robots?  Also I don't think anyone is acting shocked over Sean's politics on the show (even though I know it is killing Tom) but acting shocked over his non dancing ass not even being in the B2.  I also don't think them acting as if everything is fine and dandy would be making things any better.  Because the other common theme I see among Sean "fans" besides owning the libs or whatever is they are butthurt on Sean's behalf because the judges are so mean to him.  Which honestly I don't think they have been. IMO they have mostly been nicer than necessary for a dance competition.  There is this really weird belief out there among a certain segment of the population that any critique based on lack of actual talent is bullying and mean and unfair.  It's why I always laugh at the supposed snowflake culture because lets just say usually the ones accusing the others of being the snowflakes are the actual snowflakes.  They all think Sean deserves rainbows and ponies for effort despite him willingly coming into a competition where he knew there was a judging component.

So in order to appease his base, Sean would need to be getting all positive comments and high scores and everyone will smile at everything he says, but if that were the case he still wouldn't be B2 because his scores would be even higher than they are now.  And his base would probably find something else to complain about.

I have seen that Karamo has started walking back his comments about Sean and saying they aren't friends and he was just being civil for the competition. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, spanana said:

I have seen that Karamo has started walking back his comments about Sean and saying they aren't friends and he was just being civil for the competition.

Not surprise, I felt that was all for show as others being nice with Sean is for show too. Noone wants to bring drama to the show so why bother. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

Not surprise, I felt that was all for show as others being nice with Sean is for show too. Noone wants to bring drama to the show so why bother. 

I don't know if it was all for show on Karamo's part or if he feels like he just can't win so he keeps telling different stories in different situations.  The part that bothered me with Karamo is around the time he was eliminated he was going to extremes to talk about all the head to heads he had with Sean in his trailer and how he's a great guy and etc.  I'm not saying anyone on set should be mean to Sean's face for no reason but there is a difference between just co-existing with the guy and having sit down head to heads with him in his trailer, like Karamo was claiming he did.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, ramble said:

I despise DWTS contemporary dances with the fire of a thousand nuns

I'm pretty sure this was a typo but speaking as a former Catholic school student who was taught by nuns, that made me burst out laughing. 😂

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

Did anyone else notice in the dance off that Sean was just standing there like a tree with a smug look on his face while Jenna did all the dancing? It's almost like he was throwing it in everyone's face that he sucks, yet he is going to be given a pass week after week, so why bother to even try.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
On 11/6/2019 at 7:59 AM, boyznkatz said:

Oh wow, Michelle would send ratings through the roof. She would never do it, though.

I would like to see a charismatic Democrat like Beto O'Rourke who isn't doing anything right now. I know Republicans hate him, but I'm not sure why. He hasn't called people haters like Spicer has.

Maybe the best policy would be to have people who had not been active in the political world for a given time period, perhaps five years.  This would tamp down some of the "passion" vote for or against them. It wouldn't necessarily eliminate it in the cases of very polarizing figures but, in that case, the best course of action would be not to cast them.  The show, if it's to survive, needs a serious attitude adjustment by the production team.

• Love 5