Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: Magic Ashton

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, scrb said:

Wasn't that in the galley?

Abbi doesn't have to be having a conversation in the galley.

It looked like she had come up to ask Simone something. Job lines do sometimes cross. They weren't being overly loud or obtrusive from what I could tell. Kevin was just being a prima donna.

• Love 20

Between her inability to pour a beer and make a mimosa I am wondering if Simone has ever seen a beverage poured. I also didn’t like that she was dismissive of Courtney telling her how to do it, tilt it to the side of the glass, saying that it didn’t matter and it would die down, don’t waste precious beer (even if it’s Chang Thailand’s Budweiser)!

• Love 12
44 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Seriously, and the bar is fairly low even Mila got praise.  This also highlights a key difference between Lee and Sandy, he is evaluating Kevin’s food through observation and his opinion versus Sandy going out and actively asking if anything is wrong which increases the likelihood of complaints.

And WTF...? Still I’m only 16-17 minutes in...and Kevin talks about “pleasing the Captain”.... how about you please the Effing charter guests? Hmmm? What a concept! Shit!... what a ducking wanker....

oh...btw...my pause just happened to stop at 16:25.....and one could see Kate’s individual highlight clip on extensions from her crown hair...I was surprised...and couldn’t pause it again on same spot to save my life...it was just serendipity the first time... 

Edited by Shellbell59
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Actually Kevin and Kate were going over the plates needed for the complicated ten course serving menu and he had to continually try to talk over their yapping which was loud and distracting. 

He was stressing and organizing and communicating his complicated dinner with Kate.

Remember last season Josiah shushed Caroline when Kate and Adrian were discussing in the galley? Caroline got butt hurt but these conversations are key to a smooth dinner. This dinner was a huge undertaking in scope, timing, and the need to impress Captain Lee.

I think Kevin’s insistence on quiet was reasonable. I’ve needed it in the kitchen for far less a complicated menu.

Spoiler

Rhylee works damn hard, Abbi may be just what Ashton needed to see and appreciate what Rhylee brings to the table. 

• Love 7

Abbi...I’m 54 minutes in...

“rules are not your forte”...check....

”is he (Ashton) pointing fingers at us?” ...(paraphrasing)..as in how dare he bully me....yawn.....

Well ...yes....many are pointed at you... Kate was correct.. you’re “a brat”..... 

try having a job where you’re not poking the captain (your new fiancé?...sigh.....sure..that will last....😏

..and let’s see how that plays out...

you twit

Edited by Shellbell59
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

I feel sorry for the person who had to wash all the dishes after Kevin's 10 course tasting menu.  

* 8 diners x 10 courses = eleventy billion dishes, if my math is correct

They got restaurant appliances and a big freezer but they don’t have an industrial strength dishwasher?

or any dishwasher?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, lcarolynl said:

think Kevin’s insistence on quiet was reasonable. I’ve needed it in the kitchen for far less a complicated menu.

He wasn’t cooking at the time so if he needed absolute silence there is no need to have it in the part of the galley that is where the stews work and is also a main hallway used by the crew to get to the crew quarters. It’s not like he was cooking or even demonstrating plating there was no need to have the convo there since he is the only one who had an issue not Kate who was the one receiving the information.

The situation with Josiah and Caroline was completely different she was trying to interrupt their conversation about something that wasn’t important and get Kate’s attention not just talking. 

• Love 8

This has probably been said...but love her or hate her...Kate has given me a few colloquiums that I never have heard before...

1. Resting bitch face (years ago) and I’ve heard it repeatedly since.

now....wait for it...wait for it.........(so outdated I know but had to)

2. Penis ravine!!!! Yes! How else to describe those troughs...guiding all downward.

”ravine” is SO much better than “trough”! 😂

• LOL 2
14 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

He wasn’t cooking at the time so if he needed absolute silence there is no need to have it in the part of the galley that is where the stews work and is also a main hallway used by the crew to get to the crew quarters. It’s not like he was cooking or even demonstrating plating there was no need to have the convo there since he is the only one who had an issue not Kate who was the one receiving the information.

The situation with Josiah and Caroline was completely different she was trying to interrupt their conversation about something that wasn’t important and get Kate’s attention not just talking. 

It was reasonable to ask that they get out of his galley while he was imparting vital information to Kate. They had issues about playing before when the right dishes were not brought to the galley. It makes total sense that Kate and Kevin get together over what dishes go where in a very complicated ten course meal. I couldn’t hear what he was saying over their yapping and I personally would ban Abbi from the galley altogether. We have seen this issue many times where the chef needed to stop the grab ass while he is working. Everyone from Ben to Adrian to Anastasia had to call for quiet when they were working in the galley. 

Abbi was just yapping about bullshit to her one friend on the boat to get camera time. She is the one that needs to be fired immediately.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Everyone from Ben to Adrian to Anastasia had to call for quiet when they were working in the galley. 

When actually cooking so they couldn’t leave, they could have solved the problem by going to many other places in the boat, hell Kate solved it by suggesting they go to the other side of the kitchen around the corner. They were talking about work and getting something out of the cabinet that is Simone’s work space as much as Kevin and she had every right to be there.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9

Maybe no dishwasher because of the amount of fresh water needed on board?  I was just googling this and apparently newer yachts are getting super high efficient (water use) dishwashers but since most of the yachts featured on this show apparently are a little older they haven't been fitted with them.  Heck, on last season's BDM there wasn't any room for one!

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

When actually cooking so they couldn’t leave, they could have solved the problem by going to many other places in the boat, hell Kate solved it by suggesting they go to the other side of the kitchen around the corner. They were talking about work and getting something out of the cabinet that is Simone’s work space as much as Kevin and she had every right to be there.

She has to abide by the rules of the department head. She had no legitimate reason to loudly gossip while Kevin and Kate were discussing something that might lead to Kevin getting fired.

Imagine if Kevin was talking and distracting the deckhands while they were pulling up the anchor or tying up the lines. Yes Simone has a legitimate reasons to be in the galley. Abbi absolutely does not.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

She has to abide by the rules of the department head. She had no legitimate reason to loudly gossip while Kevin and Kate were discussing something that might lead to Kevin getting fired.

1. She wasn’t gossiping they were getting something for the guests 2. It wasn’t loud 3. Her department head didn’t have a problem with the convo and realized it was about work and told Kevin that.

3 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Abbi absolutely does not.

She and Simone were getting something for the guests so yes she did. Not to mention it’s the only way to get to the crew quarters. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, RoxiP said:

Maybe no dishwasher because of the amount of fresh water needed on board?

Does it not have a dishwasher? All the other boats have had them but they often do a lot of hand washing because of they are more compact.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ghoulina said:

This was after Kevin chided Simone and Abbi, like a school marm, because they dared to have a conversation in the same room HE was having a conversation in. 

He was working with Kate in making sure the ten course plating menus has the right plates when the interior had consistently had issues with providing the right plates. Abbi and Simone were talking very loud in the galley and I for one was distracted by it and could understand why Kevin told them to stop .

Look I get it. Lots of people have a deep dislike for Kevin. Starting with Captain Stud of the Sea and Resting Bitch face. He should definitely quit this boat as he is not a good fit. They need someone else and he is fighting a losing battle when the crew doesn’t respect his authority in his own galley. He already knows that the Captain looking for a reason to fire him so it is better that he quits because of the personality conflicts. Yes he made a mistake with the miscount of dishes. Other Chefs have made big mistakes and were not immediately working under a threat of dismissal. It is an untenable position and he should go with his gut and leave Captain Lee to figure it out. Maybe he can feed the next charter with his witty homespun wisdom.

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, dleighg said:

closed captions can be amusing. It took me a bit to realize what on earth he meant. I was picturing some sort of raft (made of spherified bloody mary mix????). Then realized it was " palate" LOL

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 11.48.34 AM.png

He's the chef, shouldn't he know this ? He's definitely five steps behind Mila as worst chef in the history of the Below Deck franchise.  

• LOL 1

So no one noted Ashton’s comment about not wanting to have to work so hard to get his “ d—-“ sucked?  I know he’s a favorite but he lost points with me for that.i guess if you look like that you don’t have to work very hard to get the women.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Kevin is in my last nerve....

talking to his sister...

”Captain sat down for a meal the other night and said “it’s not good enough”.... going on to say to his sister...”There’s no way you would say that to your charter chef and expect him to....blah blah blah blah”...

Kevin this isn’t 2nd grade!! Not everybody gets a trophy!(regardless of your shitty performance)

expect to get called out at this high stakes game if you’re selling yourself as being a capable chef for the job!....

”I’m down here workin my ass off....”
well guess what asshole? I too would/could work my ass off trying to cook for guests! ...but I may still not be producing 5-7 star meals (regularly...which is key)....so

Should Captain Lee...really....should he cut me slack just because I’m working hard at mediocrity?

Cmon.....!!!

(imaging Gob from Arrested Development🤣)  

btw...when the sister said “I don’t want to see you at my doorstep 3 days from now alright?”... tells me he may have done this before...

Edited by Shellbell59
  • Love 15
12 minutes ago, spunky said:

He's the chef, shouldn't he know this ? He's definitely five steps behind Mila as worst chef in the history of the Below Deck franchise.  

He doesn’t do the closed captions.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, biakbiak said:

thanks for writing that-- I knew that he didn't do the CC so didn't understand the complaint. And in fact a bit later in the show the CC used the right spelling. I certainly wasn't putting this on the chef.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

If Kevin quits maybe the Captain can serve up some swinging dicks for the ladies.

Somehow I think they will be fine with that.

I'm almost 60 but those ladies reminded me of the most annoying women I've ever been around. I mean, they weren't mean, but they were like tweenage girls. Grow up! Puns about male body parts are kind of stupid IMHO.

• Love 8
41 minutes ago, Caseysgirl said:

So no one noted Ashton’s comment about not wanting to have to work so hard to get his “ d—-“ sucked?  I know he’s a favorite but he lost points with me for that.i guess if you look like that you don’t have to work very hard to get the women.

That actually happened on WWHL during a preview of the next episode.  Yeah, not Ashton's finest moment.  

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Caseysgirl said:

4 hours ago, snarts said:

That actually happened on WWHL during a preview of the next episode.  Yeah, not Ashton's finest moment.  

I'm a huge Ashton fan (so far!), but agree that this was a horrible remark to make.  He talked a bit about it on WWHL and said he acknowledges it wasn't smart to say.   He also said it's something many think and talk about....he just got caught.  Which I also agree with.  It wasn't enough to make me not like him.

Caroline Rhea is one of my favorite Hollywood personalities.  She and Ashton seemed to get along really, really well.  It was a fun episode.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, dleighg said:

I'm almost 60 but those ladies reminded me of the most annoying women I've ever been around. I mean, they weren't mean, but they were like tweenage girls. Grow up! Puns about male body parts are kind of stupid IMHO.

No doubt that they were prodded or encouraged by the producers to play that up

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, scrb said:

No doubt that they were prodded or encouraged by the producers to play that up

And they are women with free will who chose to do that even though the producers have no hold over them. There have been plenty of low key guests so I doubt these women were behaving much differently than they normally do. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, RoxiP said:

Maybe no dishwasher because of the amount of fresh water needed on board?  I was just googling this and apparently newer yachts are getting super high efficient (water use) dishwashers but since most of the yachts featured on this show apparently are a little older they haven't been fitted with them.  Heck, on last season's BDM there wasn't any room for one!

But they still use a lot of water to hand wash those dishes.

And of course all the water used by the washing machines, water used to wash down the deck all the time.

Maybe they can't make it work with the limited water supply (though if they came to port every couple of days, maybe it wouldn't be as big a problem).

But it would save a lot of labor and free up the crew to do other things.

Wow, there is so much black v. white opinions here! I don't think Kevin needs to quit because the captain isn't impressed with his attitude or food yet. He's giving Kevin the "guidance" that some people thrive under, tough love. 

My husband, former military and former high school and college jock, loves that kind of interaction. He knows where he stands and exactly what he needs to do to get back on track. He would enjoy being called a "lady" as a good natured insult from a superior with whom he had a good rapport. 
Kevin has dug himself a grave with:
1) Walking away from the captain before being dismissed when discussing the Simone incident (breach of protocol and really disrespectful)
2) Failing to serve the captain anything as a main course beyond the salad. He could have quietly explained there was a problem or mixup in the kitchen and then run and make him something, anything.
3) Patting the captain on the shoulder (same dinner) as if he, Kevin, was the superior in the exchange. The captain felt patronized and disrespected.
By the end of dinner the captain was hangry and Kevin was the reason why.

The captain is exerting his dominance in no uncertain terms.

He's done similar things before, Captain Lee didn't like Nico or Kelley in their first seasons but promoted both to bosom the next year as they proved themselves to him.
Neither impressed him at first as boson but each changed hi opinion by the end of the year.

Kevin just needs to perform at his highest standards, and if he does, he will come out of the season greatly improved professionally and show the captain that he recognizes the captain is The Captain.

I've studied a smidgeon of maritime law and believe me, the maritime authority of rank is beyond something regular landlubbers or non military have likely encountered.

Kevin doesn't want to quit; walking off the ship with a good recommendation from The Captain, and a national audience seeing him succeed will pay off well for him down the road. This is investment time, investment in his future.

Sadly Kevin is the baby of his family and the only male in that family. Either status could have made him the precious pasha of his family. Loved but perhaps overly indulged and unaccustomed to harsh words and the way Captain Lee enjoys to interact. Lee is a man's man who wants the job done, done well, and done quickly. I understand him and find Kevin to be a simpering whiner who can still turn this around and change my and Captain Lee's opinion. 

Quitting ain't the way to be a winner in this world. See it through, work your ass off, and walk away with more knowledge and the respect of your peers and superior.

Sorry for the long post, apparently I'm on my soapbox!

• Love 21

Abbi can leave anytime now. 

I like Simone but I can’t stand her “OMG”’s and “WTF”’s. 

Can someone please explain what a “penis ravine” is? I have never heard that before. 

Edited by tvfanatic13
  • Love 2
52 minutes ago, lcarolynl said:

Wow, there is so much black v. white opinions here! I don't think Kevin needs to quit because the captain isn't impressed with his attitude or food yet. He's giving Kevin the "guidance" that some people thrive under, tough love. 

My husband, former military and former high school and college jock, loves that kind of interaction. He knows where he stands and exactly what he needs to do to get back on track. He would enjoy being called a "lady" as a good natured insult from a superior with whom he had a good rapport. 
Kevin has dug himself a grave with:
1) Walking away from the captain before being dismissed when discussing the Simone incident (breach of protocol and really disrespectful)
2) Failing to serve the captain anything as a main course beyond the salad. He could have quietly explained there was a problem or mixup in the kitchen and then run and make him something, anything.
3) Patting the captain on the shoulder (same dinner) as if he, Kevin, was the superior in the exchange. The captain felt patronized and disrespected.
By the end of dinner the captain was hangry and Kevin was the reason why.

The captain is exerting his dominance in no uncertain terms.

He's done similar things before, Captain Lee didn't like Nico or Kelley in their first seasons but promoted both to bosom the next year as they proved themselves to him.
Neither impressed him at first as boson but each changed hi opinion by the end of the year.

Kevin just needs to perform at his highest standards, and if he does, he will come out of the season greatly improved professionally and show the captain that he recognizes the captain is The Captain.

I've studied a smidgeon of maritime law and believe me, the maritime authority of rank is beyond something regular landlubbers or non military have likely encountered.

Kevin doesn't want to quit; walking off the ship with a good recommendation from The Captain, and a national audience seeing him succeed will pay off well for him down the road. This is investment time, investment in his future.

Sadly Kevin is the baby of his family and the only male in that family. Either status could have made him the precious pasha of his family. Loved but perhaps overly indulged and unaccustomed to harsh words and the way Captain Lee enjoys to interact. Lee is a man's man who wants the job done, done well, and done quickly. I understand him and find Kevin to be a simpering whiner who can still turn this around and change my and Captain Lee's opinion. 

Quitting ain't the way to be a winner in this world. See it through, work your ass off, and walk away with more knowledge and the respect of your peers and superior.

Sorry for the long post, apparently I'm on my soapbox!

You nailed it.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I don’t use the closed caption, but he did seem to have a difficult time explaining what it was to Captain Lee. Hence my sarcasm.

10 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Kevin should definitely quit. Captain Lee is threatening to fire him every episode. I thought his tasting menu was excellent and very well done. He can’t come back from the Captain’s negative attitude. On the last season of Med Ben had many of his dishes returned to the galley untouched. To the point that he started raving about it. Every chef is going to have a dish or two that is a misfire. It happens every season. If the Captain is looking for an excuse to fire you it’s better to quit than get fired.

Captain Lee is still salty (rightfully so) about Kevin eating his portion of the main dish during the prior charter. Not to mention he walked off before he was dismissed and made the error of going against Kate.

• Love 3

Kevin walked off because he was in the middle of preparing dinner. It is true that he does not kiss Kate’s ass and let her run his department. No job Is worth that. He would be better off jumping before he is pushed.

The Captain is looking for an excuse to fire him. That’s no way to run a railroad.

• Love 2
On 11/5/2019 at 10:34 PM, The Ringo Kidd said:

Kevin walked off because he was in the middle of preparing dinner. It is true that he does not kiss Kate’s ass and let her run his department. No job Is worth that. He would be better off jumping before he is pushed.

The Captain is looking for an excuse to fire him. That’s no way to run a railroad.

I’m not a Kate or a Captain Lee fan. Kevin keeps digging himself deeper into his hole every charter. His fate was already sealed when he called out interior during the first tip meeting. 

Edited by spunky
  • Love 1

He's done similar things before, Captain Lee didn't like Nico or Kelley in their first seasons but promoted both to bosom the next year as they proved themselves to him.  Neither impressed him at first as boson but each changed his opinion by the end of the year.

Captain Lee later said he regretted promoting Nico, and that if he had known what Nico had been up to during the season, he never would have made him boson.

I think Kevin screwed up badly with the captain's dinner, and he certainly deserves to be on thin ice for a while.  I don't really follow why Captain Lee keeps making it about the food in general, when the issue was more poor organization and the inability to deal with an unexpected problem.  To me, that makes me think this is more a producer driven issue than anything Captain Lee deeply cares about. 

I can't even with Abbi.  At this point, I'll be shocked if she makes it to the next charter.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

So you say “excuse me, I need to return to the kitchen. Can we continue this later?”

Kevin's a douche and no Kate hate will compensate for that. 

Edited by MJS
Added “a”
  • Love 16
21 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Can he even carry on decent dinner conversation?  

Or be the captain? I'm convinced he and Sandy are no longer the real captains. I think they show up for production and strategically placed shots, plus the occasional "captain" task. I also think there are more non-show personnel hidden away doing much of the work.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Or be the captain? I'm convinced he and Sandy are no longer the real captains. I think they show up for production and strategically placed shots, plus the occasional "captain" task. I also think there are more non-show personnel hidden away doing much of the work.

I think he's still the Captain.  I just presume that the non-personnel related work that goes into being a Captain is boring, particularly given they are on what must be a well traveled and planned charter course, so we rarely see him doing that.  

• Love 1

I read about Captain Lee's son OD'ing and that has made me feel so sad for him. So, I'm going to temper what I say. I'll just say that I find him very "rough around the edges" for a sea captain, and that does not jibe with my personal experience at all.

The "my boat, my rules" sentiment does, but so much of how he presents himself does not.

It's such a stark contrast, that I can't help myself from making it every time he says or does something that strikes me as "un" captain-like. 

Whether he's right or wrong about Kevin doesn't even matter, it's the way he's going about handling it. The taking sides, his TH comments, the rambling blog posts, just don't seem at all like the done thing for a sea captain. (Again, in my experience of them.)

• Love 4
On 11/6/2019 at 5:24 AM, tvfanatic13 said:

Thanks biak! Who says that these boards are not educational?!

I feel it needs to be said I didn’t add the artowI just googled work safe cum gutters (same idea) and that appeared!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

Thanks biak! Who says that these boards are not educational?!

I put on safe search and googled “cum gutters” and that appeared. I didn’t add the arrow and while Kate’s specific  terminology might be “new” the concept isn’t. 

• Love 1
On 11/5/2019 at 9:53 AM, dangwoodchucks said:

These kids annoy me getting into bed with their nasty feetses. Especially Abbi who walked home from the bar barefoot then climbed in bed.

OMG that was the first thing I thought of too... 

I usually go to Vegas in the summer and wear sandals... I COULD never get into bed without 

a) soaking my feet in the tub to get whatever is off the bottom

and 

2) taking a quick shower

I don't care how tired or drunk I am.

And these women... I don't care if they are doctors or what ever. But such a double standard. Could you imagine if it was a group of men telling the stews to take their shirt off... 

And the fact that you have to just grin and take it because you are hoping for a big tip and they paid a ton of money to be on that yacht.

• Love 9

Did anyone else notice how Abbi complained about getting too much sun? She said something about none of the other deck hands having "red-headed skin." Um, Abbi, how is sailing any easier on your skin than yachting?

• LOL 5
  • Love 4