Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast in Other Lands/Roles

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, KingOfHearts said:

Hallmark strikes again. I just saw Elizabeth Mitchell (the Snow Queen) and the actress who plays Charming's mom together in the same scene in a Hallmark Christmas flick.

Alt Alt Enchanted Forest... there was a Curse that took everyone in Misthaven and Arendelle to The Land Without Magic, and Ingrid and Ruth interacted in their Cursed identities.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Camera One said:

Alt Alt Enchanted Forest... there was a Curse that took everyone in Misthaven and Arendelle to The Land Without Magic, and Ingrid and Ruth interacted in their Cursed identities.

I'd be totally down for some kind of AU where everyone was cursed to be trapped in a Hallmark Christmas movie.

• Love 1

I was minding my own business, watching the new Jumanji movie, when Dania Ramirez (Jacinda) came on the screen playing a seductress character. I was actually taken out of the movie because of how mad I was seeing her on screen again, LOL. Nothing against Ramirez - she's just not a good actress and I hate Jacinda with a burning passion.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm onto Episode 14 of "Reign" and I'm just imagining what it would have been like for the actress who played Ivy to be the main star of "Reign", where she had such a range of emotions to play, to taking on the role of Ivy/Drizella where she got little to nothing to do with a character that had the complexity of a cereal box.  Well, I guess a job's a job. 

"Reign" is like a cross between a soap-opera and "Game of Thrones" (I've never watched it so maybe that's like a soap opera too).  It's kind of frustrating to watch, especially since I hate violence and there's a lot of it.  But it is suspenseful and you want to know what happens next.  I'm sure it's totally historically inaccurate, but there are certain events about Mary Queen of Scots they wouldn't be changing, I'm assuming.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

Another remake of "Cinderella", this time by Sony Pictures to be released in a year February 2021.

The film is a musical comedy that re-imagines the traditional Cinderella story in which our heroine is an ambitious young woman whose dreams are bigger than the world will allow.

Will star Camila Cabello, James Corden, Pierce Brosnan, Idina Menzel, Missy Elliot, Minnie Driver, among others.

12 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

That's an interesting cast lineup. James Corden gives me Into the Woods vibes.

James Corden is playing one of the mice who turns into a footman, so this might be more like his "Cats" role, LOL.  

This movie is made by Sony, not Disney, but this Buzzfeed article still insists on matching each actor with their Disney counterpart.

What we need is a remake about Clorinda.  Someone give A&E a call please!  They're the Jacinderella experts.

Edited by Camera One

Just saw Sophie Lowe, who played Alice in Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, in a trailer for a drama film coming to Amazon entitled, "Blow the Man Down". I recognized her immediately. The film is about the secret dark underbelly of a small town in Maine. Hmmm.

Edited by KingOfHearts
4 hours ago, daxx said:

Not exactly cast, but Damon Lindelof is potentially joining the MCU.

Season one was so good I credit Lindelof for a lot of that, I would be happy to see him in the MCU.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2492605/why-damon-lindelof-is-now-interested-in-joining-the-mcu-but-not-star-wars-yet

So do I. A&E kept getting rejected for their script until he helped them and we saw what happened when Damon stopped helping after season one.  I'm curious to see what he'll do with the MCU.

• Love 1
On 5/27/2020 at 2:33 PM, Inquirer said:

Jared Gilmore is an anime villain voice-actor now.

I actually watched and he is really chilling with his line-reading. I think it was noted that on OUAT, Jared shined when he was "Panry" at the end of 3A and "dark" Prince Henry in the series finale, so I think playing villains is definitely something he should do more of going forward. 

I finally just finished the Pan arc on my rewatch  (I need to finish before the show leaves Netflix in the fall, although I might just finish with the season 3 finale.  I would also rather rewatch the first season one last time than take the time for some of the later seasons).   I remember when the episode being prepared to cringe at his "Pan" and then being surprised that he was good.   His performance held up on the rewatch.

• Love 4

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19 and a OUAT alumna will be participating in one of the panels! It hasn't been assigned an official timeslot yet so be sure to check the Comic Con website in the next week or so!

LGBTQ Representation on TV
Featuring Jamie Chung (Once Upon A Time), Jamie Clayton (Roswell: New Mexico), Wilson Cruz (Star Trek: Discovery), Tatiana Maslany (Perry Mason), Anthony Rapp (Star Trek: Discovery), J. August Richards (Council of Dads, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), Harry Shum, Jr. (Shadowhunters) and Brian Michael Smith (9-1-1: Lone Star), moderated by TV Guide's Jim Halterman.

• Love 1

I'm putting this here instead of the media thread because it's media/appearance about another role ...

Looks like Colin will be on a panel about The Right Stuff (moderated by Mae Jemisen!) at ComicCon at Home. The panels will apparently be on YouTube, and you can watch them live or watch the recording later. The full schedule is at the ComicCon web site.

I wonder if he'll be a little more at ease Zooming in from home than he tends to be on in-person panels. But if they make him blush, we'll get a good close-up.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Someone on Reddit pointed out that in Trainspotting 2, Amy Manson gives Robert Carlyle a lap dance, which I would kind of like to see with them as Rumpel and Merida, but it led me to this article.  First, Amy was offered the role as a regular on Once. Either I did not know that or I've blanked it out of my memory in horror at the idea that we could have been subjected to more Merida. Maybe Michael Socha's experience gave her pause at taking them up on the offer.

I also love how she "was making waves" on the show and "has been taking the US by storm". Okay. If you say so. 

• Love 1
(edited)
18 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

First, Amy was offered the role as a regular on Once. Either I did not know that or I've blanked it out of my memory in horror at the idea that we could have been subjected to more Merida. 

That had never come up before.  Was this before or after she got super mad that they cut out her scenes from the winter finale?

If A&E were seriously considering keeping her character, I have no idea what they planned to do with her.  Unless they planned to have her in 5B in the Underworld too?  But why?

The actress, who was raised on an Aberdeenshire farm, says Carlyle gave her valuable advice about Tinseltown bosses when she arrived on the set of Once Upon A Time. She added: “I remember he said, ‘Amy, these are Americans writing for a Scot so you just either do it your way or ignore them, right pal?’

“He said, ‘Don’t listen to them.’ And I was like, ‘No, I won’t.’ He’s good fun.”

I can see that was the approach Robert took, but was he joking with a newbie to do that, or was he half serious?  

The role was already abrasive, but the character as portrayed just didn't make it easy to like her in any way.

Despite the success, she turned down the chance to be a regular on the show.

She added: “I declined only because it would have kept me unable to do any other work for at least six months.

“It is all down to storylines and I would rather be back at the Edinburgh Lyceum working all year than being used every other episode in a TV show.”

Used every other episode?  LOL, try twice or three times in half a season, and maybe you'll get to babysit Roland.

18 hours ago, KAOS Agent said:

I also love how she "was making waves" on the show and "has been taking the US by storm". Okay. If you say so. 

LOL, that part of the article was pretty hilarious.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Camera One said:

Unless they planned to have her in 5B in the Underworld too?  But why?

It's interesting that the seance juice she used to talk to her father was brought up again in 5B, as if she was meant to set that up. Rumple has Emma use it on Hook's tombstone to try to contact him. (I think it's funny that stuff was just lying around Gold's pawnshop when we needed a whole ritual in 3B for Cora.)

23 hours ago, Camera One said:

That had never come up before.  Was this before or after she got super mad that they cut out her scenes from the winter finale?

I'm pretty sure it came up before because we had just about this same discussion. It was a big "huh?" because they didn't bother to resolve her story or do anything with the character, so why would they have wanted to make her a regular. I think it was after she got mad about being cut from the winter finale and not having anything about her character resolved that they offered to make her a regular, and the way she talked about it, she was as baffled as we were. I think she made the right choice because I doubt they had any idea what to do with her, and she'd have been like Will, or worse, like Robin, where they went back and forth.

Come to think of it, they brought Robin back after Sean was pretty vocal about how upset he was that they killed Robin off so soon after making him a regular. He'd just bought a house in Vancouver and was getting settled in. I know that one of the reasons they brought in Wish Robin was because the Swan Queeners were spreading nasty rumors about him being fired for sexual harassment, and they wanted to show that there was no ill will, but I wonder with both him and Amy having been really vocal about their displeasure with how their characters were treated and then being asked to come back or stay if this is their thing about not being able to handle criticism again. They wrote in that terrible Mulan and Red episode because they freaked out in an interview when they were accused of not having any gay characters, said they were going to do a gay storyline, and then that got printed everywhere, so they had to write one. And then when that one was universally loathed and was kind of a copout for a gay storyline, they had to do the one with Red and Dorothy. When actors criticized them about the way their characters/they were treated, then suddenly they want those actors back or wanted them to become regulars. I seem to recall that they even wanted Michael Socha to come back and do a guest spot, and that would have been after he was fairly critical about how he was kept out of circulation for a year because he was a regular, but he didn't actually do anything.

It seems the secret to getting kept around would be to complain in public, and then they'd immediately want to prove you wrong by inviting you to stay.

I think a lot of this boils down to A&E having super thin skin and wanting everyone to like them. The same reason they did so much nonsense to appease the twitter mob. I guarantee you if Adam had never been on Twitter there wouldn’t have been all those Emma and Regina scenes if they weren’t baiting that group. I think there would have been a better storyline for CaptainSwan if they weren’t trying to avoid pissing off the SQ contingent in season 6.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

I know that one of the reasons they brought in Wish Robin was because the Swan Queeners were spreading nasty rumors about him being fired for sexual harassment, and they wanted to show that there was no ill will

!?!? The SwanQueeners did what now? That's awful!

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Melgaypet said:

?!? The SwanQueeners did what now? That's awful!

Yeah, I remember that, they were saying he was fired because he harassed a hairdresser on set.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, daxx said:

Yeah, I remember that, they were saying he was fired because he harassed a hairdresser on set.

Damn. And here I thought the craziest thing about hardcore SwanQueeners were that they seemed to be Regina stans who disliked Emma, or only cared about her in relation to Regina.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Melgaypet said:

And here I thought the craziest thing about hardcore SwanQueeners were that they seemed to be Regina stans who disliked Emma, or only cared about her in relation to Regina.

They were violently opposed to anyone they saw as standing in the way of their chosen relationship. This one was bad enough that A&E had to address it rather than let it go too far.

ETA: In fairness, they didn't have the exclusive on crazy fandom behavior. As I recall, there was a contingent of Captain Swan fans who got reality and fantasy blurred and started real-person shipping to the point they were spreading rumors about Colin and Jen having an affair. One of them had made some kind of offhand remark about having coffee together on the set, not knowing that "having coffee" had become a fandom euphemism for having sex, and Jen had to shoot that down and scold them for the lack of respect, saying that Colin's wife was one of her best friends. Though I think some of the Swan Queeners jumped on that one as a way of discrediting Colin, the other threat to their chosen relationship.

Some people get way too invested in fictional romances. When you're hurting real people, you've gone too far.

Edited by Shanna Marie
  • Love 4

Unfortunately, there was also a blind item about a star from Once having an affair with a coworker about the same time and this fed into the whole Colin and Jen rumor. Most people brushed off the rumor in general, but it turned out to be true - just not with the actors people had pegged for the affair.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/22/2020 at 4:56 AM, KAOS Agent said:

Unfortunately, there was also a blind item about a star from Once having an affair with a coworker about the same time and this fed into the whole Colin and Jen rumor. Most people brushed off the rumor in general, but it turned out to be true - just not with the actors people had pegged for the affair.

...really? You're going to leave me hanging like that. Fine, I'll bite, who?

(the only backstage drama I recall is some tiff - over Twitter maybe? - between Jen and one of the dwarves.)

ETA: Wait, it isn't Ginny and Josh, right? I vaguely remember something about Josh leaving his first wife for her, but I thought they got together fairly early in the show's run.

Edited by Melgaypet

...really? You're going to leave me hanging like that. Fine, I'll bite, who?

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it was Emilie de Ravin and Tom Ellis (Robin Hood 1.0). They got together when the episode he was in was filmed, while both were married to other people at the time. It came out because she was mentioned in his wife's divorce filing (and I think it also only came out when he got more famous due to Lucifer). I don't think anyone suspected those two when the blind item dropped, since everyone was focused on the relationships characters had, and I don't think Belle and Robin interacted all that much, if at all, and he was only around for that one episode, so we didn't really think of him as a "cast member." The blind item that got everyone all stirred up was really misleading because it made it sound like it was series regulars whose characters were together in some way onscreen rather than a regular and a guest star from years earlier who barely interacted onscreen.

Wait, it isn't Ginny and Josh, right? I vaguely remember something about Josh leaving his first wife for her, but I thought they got together fairly early in the show's run.

I thought he was already separated before the series started filming. He was still technically married when they got together because the divorce wasn't final, but he and his ex were already apart when he and Ginny met. His first wife was British and still in England, and he had come back to the States when he got cast and then met Ginny.

• Love 3

The Right Stuff panel was interesting, but Colin spoke once, aside from when they had everyone on the panel give their one word that describes the series. He just talked about seeing alligators in Florida when shooting and how getting to sit in a classic Corvette helped him pretend to be American. There were a lot of people on the panel, so to talk, they had to just dive in, and it took Mae Jemisen specifically asking him a question near the end of the panel before he said anything. And he turned bright red as soon as he started talking, bless his heart.

It sounds like it's not necessarily a direct adaptation of the novel. They were already talking about a season two that would branch off and tell some other stories. I couldn't tell if that meant adding characters or if they were going to move away from the original cast.

The guy who played the Author was also in the cast, playing the head of the manned spaceflight program. On the panel, his hair was bleached a really yellow blond, which looked kind of weird because it was so different. Colin basically looked like Rogers, including the black t-shirt. On the clips from the show, he was just about unrecognizable.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Apparently, there's some kind of Scottish film industry regulation that Robert Carlyle be cast in all Scottish movies because he pops up all over the place. I ran across him in a movie I watched on Amazon last weekend, Stone of Destiny. I thought it would be a fantasy movie, but it's actually about a true event that happened in 1950, when a group of Scottish students stole the Stone of Scone from Westminster Abbey, which ended up awakening a surge of Scottish national pride. It was from 2008, so before Once. Carlyle has a small role as the Scottish politician who supports the students in a "here's some cash and my number in case you need help, but we never spoke and I know nothing about it" way. It's funny that he looks a lot like Gold in this -- same hair, similar wardrobe, with some minor changes for the time period, and he even uses the same accent, but he sounds totally different. When his character is introduced, he's making a speech, so we hear him before we see him, and the camera slowly zooms in from the back of the auditorium before we get a close look, and I didn't recognize him until the close-up. His voice for this character seemed to come from an entirely different place. Gold didn't quite have the Rumple whine, but his voice still came from high in his head, in the back of his sinuses, like he could go into the Rumple whine at any moment. This character's voice seemed to come up from his chest. I always find it fascinating seeing the things actors do to embody a character.

The movie's a fun twist on a caper story and has a good cast. The lead role is Charlie Cox, from Stardust and Daredevil, and Billy Boyd from LOTR plays his best friend. Just don't see the cast list and the title and assume you're getting a fantasy movie (I guess I should have read the description).

• Love 1

I saw a promo on PBS for a new show in the Sunday Masterpiece slot in which Robert Carlyle seems to have the main role. It looked to me like what if Mr. Gold was Prime Minister when Britain was hit by a big crisis. It's called Cobra, or something like that. I'm not a big fan of the Masterpiece Contemporary block, so I don't know anything about it beyond what was in the promo that was on before Great Performances last night.

Colin O'Donoghue is doing press for "The Right Stuff" on Disney+.

But he was still asked about "Once":

Fox News: Many fans still remember you from “Once Upon a Time.” Do you miss it?

Colin O’Donoghue: I think, “Once Upon a Time” will always have such a special place in my heart. Hook became such a huge part of my life. But I'm an actor and I constantly want to try and portray different roles and sort of expand and test myself. 

So no appearance in Season 8, LOL?

In an article, Brigitte Hales is named as one of the writers for the sequel to "Enchanted".   The article also mentions they are currently looking to cast the villain for the movie. Several fans have tweeted Hales about Lana Parilla would be the perfect for the role.

8 hours ago, Camera One said:

In an article, Brigitte Hales is named as one of the writers for the sequel to "Enchanted".   The article also mentions they are currently looking to cast the villain for the movie. Several fans have tweeted Hales about Lana Parilla would be the perfect for the role.

Luckily writers don’t do the casting. 😂 

• LOL 2
13 hours ago, Camera One said:

This just makes me wonder how these (I assume) Regina stans would actually care for it if Lana were cast as the villain and treated as, you know, the villain. Like, this movie isn't going to be your Evil Regal fanfic come to life.

ETA: The irony being that Parilla's best work on OUAT was as the unambiguous villain. But that's not what her stans want to see, or, weirdly, what Parilla wanted to play as the show went on.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 5

Sara Tomko, better known in these parts as Tiger Lily is the female lead on the SyFy series Resident Alien, which just wrapped up its first season. I always thought she was quite good, even if Tiger Lily was never used very well, so its nice to see her on a more high quality series in a role that gives her a lot of good material. 

I saw the first few episodes of this season of Why Women Kill where Lana Parilla is playing one of the main characters. She is definitely channeling Regina, especially in Mayor Mills mode, but she really is great at that kind of character. It reminded of how much I liked Regina as a villain before she became the shows resident woobie. 

• Love 2