Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast in Other Lands/Roles

• Start Topic

More cast spottings on Hallmark Christmas movies:

Granny showed up in one called something like Once Upon a Holiday (basically a Christmas-themed Roman Holiday, with a happier -- and less realistic -- ending), playing the girlfriend of the hero's mentor/older friend. As a couple, they play Santa and Mrs. Claus for kids. I was having the "who is she?" vibes when she was out of Mrs. Claus costume, since she looks dramatically younger with auburn-ish hair and makeup, but then I recognized her when she put on the Mrs. Claus wig and she suddenly looked like Granny.

And I'm pretty sure Young Ursula played the main character's assistant in one called I'm Not Ready for Christmas. I haven't checked the credits, but she had a few facial expressions that gave me serious deja vu, and her voice was really familiar.

It's all going to depend on if she can get the funding.  She hasn't said anything about it recently.

I noticed the Hello Giggles website also has the videos separated by song.  I haven't watched them yet, but I wondered if they work better as individual videos rather than one long video.  I'm also wondering if Jennifer's character was dead (possible killed by the boyfriend?) or just the new girlfriend being jealous/paranoid.  It goes from them sitting on that dock thing to someone falling/jumping in the water.  I get that she's not really there. It's so confusing, but I guess music videos don't always make sense either.

From the interviews i read, it seems JMo's character was a manifestation of Rose's paranoia - she wasn't dead or murdered or anything. She was also wearing a black dress really similar to Rose's white one.

Megan Ory starred in the Hallmark Christmas-themed movie Dashing Through the Snow about a guy and a girl who get stuck using the same rental car for a road trip.  Oh, and the FBI is after her because ... reasons.  I mostly watched it because of Megan, and it was a pleasant way to spend two hours.  A cute romcom, if somewhat quickly wrapped up in the end.  And there was an adorable puppy, so bonus!

Our smarmy Sheriff of Nottingham (Wil Traval) is on Jessica Jones.

I'm always impressed by the acting chops of some of these people outside of Once. I'm looking forward to catching Tom Ellis as Lucifer towards the end of January.

Both The Rite and Storage 24 are available on Netflix for streaming right now, if anyone's looking to get a Colin fix.  I actually very much enjoyed The Rite, and thought it was thought provoking and compelling.  I definitely wouldn't say it's a horror movie; more along the lines of a spiritual thriller.  Storage 24 is complete and utter rubbish, however.  It's only worth it for the Colin screen time + lots of ginger beard.  He plays a bit of a prick in it, so that's a little change of pace.  It's a great one to almost hate watch it's that bad...

"Papa Hook" had a guest role on last night's NCIS -- ironically enough, in a flashback story about a man trying to look after his much-younger half-brother from his father's second marriage. He played the lawyer friend who was trying to help arrange some kind of custody.

He had the same length hair he had as Papa Hook, but slicked back, and was clean-shaven, which made for an odd look, but it was supposed to be the early 1960s.

Jamie Chung (who was only in Big Hero 6, an Oscar nominated movie - I don't remember if it won, but it's a great movie)

Oh really? I didn't even know that was her. The movie actually did win the Academy Award for Best Animated Picture. I wasn't as impressed with it as some audience members were (personally I found it kind of forgettable), but it's still well done.

Edited by KingOfHearts

Tom Ellis in Lucifer. He's good. I wonder if Robin would be written differently with a different actor.

Wait... that's where I recognized him from? He's probably thankful A&E recast Robin Hood so he was free to do Lucifer instead.

Also, Colin was sweet enough to promote MRJ's new movie with Casey Affleck and Chris Pine that's coming out soon.

Oh Colin is playing Ezra Fitz. I'm going to hate hating his character.

The actor playing Lucifer is way hotter as Satan than he ever was as Robin Hood but his Robin Hood manage to make more sense than current Robin Hood. Weird.

Edited by mjgchick
  • Love 1

I don't think I'll be able to watch Colin's movie. It's going to skeeve me out knowing she's suppose to be 16. And the actress is very odd looking. There are more blurry photos of them, including one of them in bed where Colin has his shirt off. Maybe I could just watch that scene. :P

The Dust Storm released a super adorable clip: 

So, I'm dying to see this flick, but I'm beginning to feel a bit jerked around.  What the hell are they waiting for to announce a dang release date?!  The second coming?! *frustration*

I started reading Carrie Pilby out of curiosity. Prof. Harrison is definitely a predator/creeper in it, just based on the bit I've already read. I'm a bit outraged for the girl. I wonder if they'll bother to change that any for the movie, or if it will be presented for what it is. It does read quite skeevy to me.

Edited by OnceUponAJen

Poor Graham got his first Razzie award. A few, actually.

Unsurprising, haven't seen it but heard a lot of negativity from ladies at work who saw it. These are fans of the (gag) books.

Don't they know they'd be better off with good smutty fan Fiction? Sigh... Poor Jamie, paying for his bad choice. Not sure his career will survive this.

• Love 1

I didn't think much of his acting abilities in OUAT. But this razzie may have more to do with the movie itself than his acting.

I don't really understand the article. Why are there two "Winners" section in each category. For example 

WORST PICTURE

WINNER: Fantastic Four
WINNER: Fifty Shades of Grey
Jupiter Ascending
Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2
Pixels

So, which was the winner?

Two nominees tied so two winners.

Jamie Dornan is a terrible actor and this award was well-deserved. He should have stayed with modeling. He was not good in The Fall and not good in OUaT or anything else he has been in. One bad performance is not a career killer for a well-established actor who is good at his job, but giving in a really bad performance in a leading role that many viewed as his big break will be difficult to overcome. 

"Fifty Shades of Grey" has atrocious dialogue from what little I've heard, so I don't fault him for getting a Razzie. That "award" show is all about picking a few high profile bad movies that everyone enjoyed ridiculing and then pretty much "awarding" everyone in the cast and crew for the "accomplishment". I give the Razzies a Razzie.

(edited)

That show looks surprisingly fun, good for Socha.

Gah! I'm still not over how OUAT totally screwed him over. He's clearly a very talented actor, and all they let him do was wander around beaches and occasionally kiss Belle. This show has only gotten more serious and dark over the seasons, and having a comedic character like Will to lighten the mood would have been awesome. I could have watched Hook and Will snark at each other in their British accents for hours. (And on a shallow note, I'm digging Socha's slightly longer hair in "The Aliens." I wish he had that length in OUAT.)

Edited by Curio

Just saw Barney Thompson - directed by and starring Robert Carlyle.  Also starring Emma Thompson and another man I've been in love with forever, Ray Winstone.

All three stars were brilliant but I can't see the subject matter being a big hit here in the US unfortunately.

I kept noticing Robert's hair for some reason - it was too long for the character but, of course, he couldn't cut it because of OUAT.   The movie is based on a series of books about a serial killer but they aren't quite Dexter-level so don't look for a sequel.

I really liked the film but, no, it will never play at the cineplexes or get any mainstream attention. Showing the severed penis three times in the first two minutes is probably not helping it there. It could do a passable job at art houses and college theaters.

I agree there probably won't be a sequel. The first book is the best in the series. It's obvious when Douglas Lindsay became aware that Robert Carlyle's name was in play as the lead in a possible movie. Lindsay completely changed his characterization of Barney in the later books from a total loser to the smartest guy in the room and all-around good guy with an undeniable attraction and sex appeal that women responded to.

I do think that RC might have a third go at playing Begbie some time later after his next film comes out. He is joining Irvine Walsh in Edinburgh next month to promote his newest book that features Begbie as the main character.

The hair was unfortunate, but it usually is no matter what role he is playing these days.

The Magicians seems to be drawing upon some of the same casting pool as OUAT. We have "Blackbeard" playing the role of The Beast, though we just hear his voice right now and don't ever see his face. Shady Blue is moonlighting as one of the professors at the magical academy. And tonight I'm pretty sure we had baby Killian as the ghost of a child who lived in the home of the author of the not!Narnia books.

The Magicians seems to be drawing upon some of the same casting pool as OUAT. We have "Blackbeard" playing the role of The Beast, though we just hear his voice right now and don't ever see his face. Shady Blue is moonlighting as one of the professors at the magical academy. And tonight I'm pretty sure we had baby Killian as the ghost of a child who lived in the home of the author of the not!Narnia books.

And don't forget Megara as the leader of a group of hedge witches.

I was going to post the 10-minute clip of Jennifer's new Albion movie, but it appears to have been taken down from Vimeo. The 3-minute teaser is still up, though. (I can already forsee many a CS blog photoshopping Hook into the dark-haired, guyliner man in the future.)

I think both her parents are music teachers, and her sister is a music therapist, so she's probably had at least a bit of training. Didn't she also sing a bit in "Flourish"?

Michael's new show premiered April 12th and now I see why they made him wore that hat during those Neal/Emma scenes. Lets hope he survives this role.

Edited by mjgchick