Type keyword(s) to search

The Cast in Other Lands/Roles

• Start Topic

Watching "Gotham"'s latest episode with "The Black Fairy".  News articles are calling her Gotham's "final villain".  LOL, did she get this job because they loved her so much on "Once"?  Since once again, she's dressed in all black talking to everyone like they're babies.

Edited by Camera One
4 hours ago, Camera One said:

I'm enacting a Curse which will take everyone from this forum to the "Deputy" message board and you will have no memory of how you felt about Regina.  Bwahahahahahaha.

Then we'll see Jennifer Morrison in something and remember everything. But then we won't care what you did to us.

• Love 2

I was watching the extras on The Dark Knight Trilogy set and it showed how they narrowed down playing Batman between Christian Bale, Cillian Murphy and Eion Bailey (August). It showed Eion in Val Kilmer's Batman suit and as Bruce Wayne. I'm so glad they chose Christian.

screen test

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I was watching the extras on The Dark Knight Trilogy set and it showed how they narrowed down playing Batman between Christian Bale, Cillian Murphy and Eion Bailey (August). It showed Eion in Val Kilmer's Batman suit and as Bruce Wayne. I'm so glad they chose Christian.

Interesting... so Eion Bailey was the "glib" Bruce Wayne.  That sums up why he was annoying as hell as August.  Though he did have the Bruce Wayne look down as opposed to Cillian Murphy.  Maybe it's because I think of him as Scarecrow.

(edited)

Saw Robbie Kay in a clip from the new show, "The Rookie". Seeing him in a suit just makes me think of when he dressed up as Mr. Gold in the Underworld arc. It's funny that when an actor has such an iconic appearance, it's difficult to separate them from their previous roles. He was probably the best Peter Pan they could've cast, not just for acting skills but for his boyish looks.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3

Lee Arenberg, AKA Grumpy, was in the most recent episode of Americans Gods playing Alviss, King of the Dwarves, who is the tallest Dwarf in America. He is the exact same height he is on this show. I got a very long laugh out of it.

• Love 3

The series Miranda is now on Amazon Prime, and in watching it, I've found myself pondering what Robin would have been like if Tom Ellis had remained in the role, and I couldn't wrap my head around it. I couldn't picture him doing the Regina's lapdog routine. I bet if he ever looked at later seasons of the show, he was thanking his lucky stars that he wasn't available when they needed him again (or whatever reason there was for the recasting).

I guess it's likely A&E could very well have done the same story, though sometimes acting does impact how a character is written.  Tom Ellis exuded a lot of defiance against Rumple in his only episode, something which was very much missing in Robin Hood's interactions with Rumple in 4B.  

Here was an article from July 2013:

Tom Ellis has been recast in Once Upon a Time.

The Miranda and Fades actor was due to return as Robin Hood in season three of the fairytale drama, but is now unavailable and Sean Maguire will take on the role, TVLinereports.

"Although we love Tom Ellis, unfortunately he wasn't available," Once Upon a Time co-creator Adam Horowitz said.

"We remain huge fans of his, but because we have an arc planned for the character, we had to move forward."

Ellis appeared as Robin Hood in season two.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, Camera One said:

I guess it's likely A&E could very well have done the same story, though sometimes acting does impact how a character is written.  Tom Ellis exuded a lot of defiance against Rumple in his only episode, something which was very much missing in Robin Hood's interactions with Rumple in 4B.  

It's hard to tell since I've only seen Sean Maguire in one other thing, when he played Ian Fleming on Timeless, while I've seen Tom Ellis in a few other things that show a great range. I didn't watch Lucifer, but I've seen clips, and then there's his role on Miranda, which is another end of a pretty wide range. Robin 2.0 was just so bland, and a lot of that was the writing because he was never allowed to have the appropriate emotional reactions to anything, but I also don't think the actor put any subtext into it. It's like he took the script at face value and didn't really show what a real person might have been feeling even if he was saying something else. I don't know if another actor might have done something different with that. Tom Ellis seems to have a lot of intensity in everything, including as the love interest in a very silly sitcom, so would that have come through even in bland scripts that had his character barely shrugging his shoulders at learning his girlfriend was the one who'd imprisoned his wife or learning that his wife had been murdered and he'd been sleeping with the murderer, who was now pregnant? I also have a hard time imagining Tom Ellis Hood keeping a straight face while talking about doing dumb stuff because he wanted to show his son what a hero is.

Ginny was really great in her Twilight Zone episode, it was a real treat to be reminded what a great actress she is. Its so sad how this show wasted her talents so much as the show went on.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just sitting watching tv and see an ad for new series here in Australia...called My Life Us Murder '....and Bernard Curry appears to feature alongside Lucy Lawless (so weird hearing her natural accent!).. Bernard looking rather cute..now, if Colin would just guest star.....

Bernard's character is a hussey..that is his character is Inspector Kieran Hussey.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://tvtonight.com.au/2019/06/my-life-is-murder-promo.html&ved=2ahUKEwjn8bSSpKDjAhU273MBHTvjCPoQFjARegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw1GS64vW0ZCOsl68F2x0071&cshid=1562415849131

Edited by PixiePaws1
Extra info
45 minutes ago, Souris said:

Colin has been cast in the NatGeo version of "The Right Stuff"!

That will require short hair and a shave. And I hope that working in Canada on an American show for all those years has improved his American accent since The Rite.

I guess I'll have to hope it eventually ends up on some streaming service or on DVD because I don't have cable, and that channel is far enough down in the lineup that you usually have to get the more premium cable replacement streaming service to get it. I love the guy, but I'm not signing up for something like that to get one show. I read the book when I was in journalism school (it was an example of the New Journalism), but I'm not sure I ever actually saw the original movie.

Incidentally, the mental image of him in clean-cut 60s mode reminds me that I spotted our King Arthur, Liam Garrigan, in one of the early episodes of Endeavour (I think it might have been season 2). He played the emcee of a beauty pageant and had that very slick mid-60s look, with the short, slicked down hair, no beard, and wearing a snug-fitting turtleneck. It took me a second to figure out who he was, but the voice was what made it click. He looks even more like Colin's brother clean-shaven than he did with the beard (as in, he looks a lot like Colin does when Colin is also clean-shaven). He'd have been much better casting for Liam.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Souris said:

Pic of Colin for Right Stuff role. I'm very glad his hair isn't quite so period-authentic short.

colinasgordo.JPG

Well it is Hollywood - gotta make sure they still look good 😉. I'm just excited because it's the first non-OUAT project of Colin's I'm actually interested in. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Kktjones said:

Well it is Hollywood - gotta make sure they still look good 😉. I'm just excited because it's the first non-OUAT project of Colin's I'm actually interested in. 

I’m interested but it’ll be super expensive to get it streaming since I don’t have cable. Hulu + live is $25 a month and I think that’s the cheapest streamer it’s on.

7 hours ago, daxx said:

I’m interested but it’ll be super expensive to get it streaming since I don’t have cable. Hulu + live is $25 a month and I think that’s the cheapest streamer it’s on.

You can get a free trial that lasts a week -- if you wait until all the eps are uploaded, you can binge them. You can do the same for YouTube Live, too. So that would you give you two weeks between the two services.

• Love 1

I may have to check if my parents get NatGeo next time I visit them, then see if they get any of their OnDemand programming, and then go visit them at the appropriate time (when the series is mostly done and available OnDemand) and binge it there. They're really into the space program stuff, so I'm sure they'd be up for watching it. So that's a possible cheap solution. Find someone with cable who's into space, and suggest a viewing party. I wonder how many episodes it'll be. Surely it's a miniseries, not a full season kind of thing.

On 6/13/2018 at 8:49 PM, Camera One said:

I was reading the description for Dania Ramirez's new show in the link above.

Another fairy-tale mash-up, eh?  So anyone here going to watch it?  

Seriously late to the party on this one, but I haven't kept up since the disastrous S7 end.  I saw this on CBS All Access (which I only signed up for to watch Criminal Minds) and thought I'd give it a shot.  Wasn't I surprised to recognize a couple actors from OUAT (even though I had to think about where I knew them from)?  I had to think especially hard about who the second-rate Cinderella was.  Anyway, both were pretty good.  Dania Ramirez wasn't nearly as whiny as in Once, so that was refreshing.  I liked MJR's performance also.  Unfortunately, not enough to tune in for episode 2.  As someone earlier said: just too dark and depressing for me.  And it also seemed to be trying too hard to be edgy.  

• Useful 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Camera One said:

"Once" really squandered any talent they brought on board with horribly written characters.

There weren't really any characters with bad actors, except for Jacinda and Lucy. Some of the actors could make absolute garbage work. Half of this show's success is owed to the acting and casting. Which is pretty interesting considering that fantasy, especially on TV, is usually paired with hammy acting that's totally cheeseball.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

There weren't really any characters with bad actors, except for Jacinda and Lucy. Some of the actors could make absolute garbage work. Half of this show's success is owed to the acting and casting. Which is pretty interesting considering that fantasy, especially on TV, is usually paired with hammy acting that's totally cheeseball.

That is so true.  I think in addition to those two, the only other acting that really bothered me was Victoria, also from Season 7.

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Camera One said:

That is so true.  I think in addition to those two, the only other acting that really bothered me was Victoria, also from Season 7.

Agreed. Even if the actors were a little flat (like Ashley or Thomas), it wasn't so bad that it took me out of the show. I still found them somewhat likable. But Victoria, Jacinda, and Lucy? Bleh. 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
(edited)

Two reasons to stay away, I guess.  The premise does have potential and Josh Whedon is much better at worldbuilding, assuming he stays with the show long-term.  Though reading through the character list and their convoluted backstories bored me.

This is the description for our dear Merida's character on this new show:

Amy Manson (Once Upon a Time) as Maladie. “Committed by her husband (and genuinely unstable), she’s been warped by a power she can’t understand, and tortured by doctors intent on finding its source. She now lives underground, runs a gang and is on an infamous murder spree. She affects a theatrical parody of a bedlam waif, but mad as she is, she’s a woman with a purpose.”

I'm sure the character will be immensely likeable.

Edited by Camera One
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Camera One said:

She affects a theatrical parody of a bedlam waif, but mad as she is, she’s a woman with a purpose.

So, basically the standard-issue Whedon crazy waif woman. See also Drusilla, Fred, and River Tam. Anyone want to bet that she'll be a brunette in this series?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 7/30/2019 at 11:48 PM, Camera One said:

Amy Manson (Once Upon a Time) as Maladie. “Committed by her husband (and genuinely unstable), she’s been warped by a power she can’t understand, and tortured by doctors intent on finding its source. She now lives underground, runs a gang and is on an infamous murder spree. She affects a theatrical parody of a bedlam waif, but mad as she is, she’s a woman with a purpose.”

Now I'm just imagining this character as Merida, and it's hilarious. This is what really happened after S5.

Edited by KingOfHearts
On 7/31/2019 at 1:20 PM, Shanna Marie said:

So, basically the standard-issue Whedon crazy waif woman. See also Drusilla, Fred, and River Tam. Anyone want to bet that she'll be a brunette in this series?

I thought the same thing! So, like, every other magical waif that he has on every freaking show? Next up, I guess we have some authority figures that just dont understand, an overbearing father, and a plucky comic relief guy?  

• Love 1

I was reading a Jennifer Morrison interview about her new role on "This is Us" (which I don't watch), but I still found some humor.

Question: You’re playing a veteran who’s been in the thick of war. How much did Dan and the producers tell you so you could accurately play this character — and what kind of research did you do?

JM: It’s a combination of their research and my research. They’re so incredibly thorough over there, which has been wonderful. Dan and I spoke quite a bit about the research the writers have done and the way that they were coming up with this character. Even every department had a lot of research, which was super-helpful. I’m not used to having that many resources in one place. 

The props department brought a ton of research about some of the tactical gear and the logistics, and the wardrobe brought more research about exactly what uniforms you can wear, when, how, why.

It's admirable that she did so much research as well.  LOL at not being used to having many resources in one place.  I wonder if the "Once" set even had a single fairy tale book for reference.

So often when we write a strong, smart woman, she has to always be tough. They leave very little room for somebody to be vulnerable. And the truth is really strong, smart women are vulnerable and delicate in other ways as well. There’s a real wholeness to that. That was already in the writing, which was so exciting because instead of having me try to find that, I could build from that.

I had to laugh at this as well.  Coming from A&E, masters of writing for strong, smart women.  Maybe just the strong part.

I'm guessing she did a lot of "trying to find" on "Once".

That’s what I have to say is so impressive about Dan Fogelman and Isaac [Aptaker, co-showrunner] and Liz [Berger, co-showrunner], and the whole writing team over there, is that there is such depth and so many layers and so much honesty to what they’ve written for this character.

Well, compared to what she's used to, where "depth" and "layers" had a whole other meaning aka "Surprise!  Guess you didn't expect that discordant layer we slid in out of the blue".

What a brave move it was for Dan and the writers to decide to introduce you to these new characters, knowing that they have three more years on the show, if not more, and in order to be able to reveal more and more about their [main] characters, they needed to have more people for them to bounce off of. But for that to mean anything, you have to really know the new people to care about the way they interact with the Pearsons. 

Like how we really got to know Robin Hood...

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

AppleTV goes live on Friday, Nov 1, but sadly, "Amazing Stories" won't be ready yet.

The corporate meddling has led to some creative differences. During early development of Amazing Stories, Fuller and Hanson received pushback from both Apple and studio Universal Television over what sources describe as their vision for an edgy, high-concept anthology. (One story would have followed a crazy cat lady murdered by her feline friends.) Though the show was meant to be part of Apple's launch slate, the departure of the producers delayed the project. Apple, interested in a more aspirational version of the show, opted to bring on Once Upon a Time duo Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz.

While showrunner departures are common — especially with straight-to-series orders increasingly frequent at streamers and upstart outlets — some within the creative community attribute Apple's early hurdles to its lack of Hollywood savvy. "It's an interesting place because there's no history or precedent," notes one lit agent. "They have no systems in place. Two guys who ran a studio are now effectively running a network. They've built a collection of executives who individually are great but are working together for the first time." Adds one top producer who has worked with the company: "The biggest problem is Apple's insistence that the industry adapt to them and not the other way around."

Kitsis doesn't agree. "While they're a new network, they're really not," he says. "Meaning, from top to bottom, everyone we dealt with was a pro with tons of studio and/or network experience. Some of whom we had actually worked with back in our ABC days, so there was an immediate comfort level for us."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/apples-bumpy-tv-launch-inside-tech-giants-impending-arrival-hollywood-1247577

• Useful 1