Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

S02.E07: Ten Years

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, cardigirl said:

Oh, it was all a set up to make Delilah feel imperiled with the possibility of losing her children, so she would dig her heels in ever further about Charlie.  Sophie was in an accident, she could have lost her too!  No way is she going to reveal the truth and lose her that way. So, to "protect the children" (when in reality it is to protect her ownself) she's not going to tell the truth about Charlie's parentage.  Poor little Delilah. 

I thought they would have a fallout by Xmas but we will see. I think the way the writers are, they make it seem like a collision is happening and then something else delays it. Like they start to tell Sophie and someone calls needing them, type of thing.

I think as a mom, it's more her wanting to protect herself, no parent wants to admit to her kids she makes mistakes but by teens, believe me they know.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

11 minutes ago, debraran said:

I thought they would have a fallout by Xmas but we will see. I think the way the writers are, they make it seem like a collision is happening and then something else delays it. Like they start to tell Sophie and someone calls needing them, type of thing.

I think as a mom, it's more her wanting to protect herself, no parent wants to admit to her kids she makes mistakes but by teens, believe me they know.

True, but at the same time, Delilah's kids have gotten raw deals too. I mean, not only did Sophie lose her dad and all the drama going out behind the scenes. How about learning that if PJ is her half brother. Their dead father rather sink their home and do some shady business deals so PJ could inherit a million dollars. I think her first reaction would be: "FU dad! I was your living daughter and just 15 and you go around and leave the possibility of us being homeless and not telling us about your "secret child" because it was 'hard' come the F on!" 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, smartymarty said:

to buy a two-seater car.

I did have a problem with Sophie calling her mom about the accident. Yes, upsetting. But it was a one-car accident. I can see calling for a parent when one is at fault for damaging someone else's car, police come to write up report, insurance exchanged. But I dinged the car, no personal injuries? You drive it home and then let parent comfort you. Sophie just seems too mature to have needed her mother for this.

I didn't. Sophie just started driving. She made a mistake and dented the car. I'd be surprised if she didn't call her mom about it. She was shaken up. A more experienced driver would have probably just drove off and dealt with the damage later, but Sophie just got her license that day. That, and she almost knocked down that pole. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, readster said:

True, but at the same time, Delilah's kids have gotten raw deals too. I mean, not only did Sophie lose her dad and all the drama going out behind the scenes. How about learning that if PJ is her half brother. Their dead father rather sink their home and do so business deals so PJ could inherit a million dollars. I think her first reaction would be: "FU dad! I was your living daughter and just 15 and you go around and leave the possibility of us being homeless and not telling us about your "secret child" because it was 'hard' come the F on!" 

But didn't Jon leave them all money? He had life ins in guys names to give to Delilah for the kids and home and I'm sure they had money in the bank with that home, college accounts, etc. That car was hidden somewhere, sometimes explanations aren't given. I agree though, they went through a lot and I'm a critic of Nash not showing more fallout with them. Deliah might not care as much, but the kids had their dad jump from a building, leave a letter mostly to their mother and no explanation to them. I would be super messed up. They just cry softly on TV and go on with their lives. Sorry Nash but it's not realistic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

I'm sorry-- I don't think you were really trying to be funny with the bolded part of your quote--but I laughed so hard at the "not living animals!" part. 

LOL - you’re right, I wasn’t trying to be funny, but I love that it amused someone! Though what I was really thinking about was how toxic that ink probably is and I wouldn’t want my cats licking it off their fur...

  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, debraran said:

But didn't Jon leave them all money? He had life ins in guys names to give to Delilah for the kids and home and I'm sure they had money in the bank with that home, college accounts, etc. That car was hidden somewhere, sometimes explanations aren't given. I agree though, they went through a lot and I'm a critic of Nash not showing more fallout with them. Deliah might not care as much, but the kids had their dad jump from a building, leave a letter mostly to their mother and no explanation to them. I would be super messed up. They just cry softly on TV and go on with their lives. Sorry Nash but it's not realistic.

I don't remember the details, but Jon didn't have any money to leave, he was way in debt. That was why Delilah almost lost the house last season. Jon owed millions and she was responsible since he died and everything was in both their names. It was one of the things Katharine helped her and saved the house. 

There was also some shady life insurance thing, which is how they got money to Barbara. Ashley was depositing the payments from it without telling anyone, but I don't remember the details. I think you are right that he had the guys pass money from that back to Delilah. I guess that is supporting them now, because I'm not sure how Delilah helping at the restaurant could be supporting three kids. Regina and Rome seem to be struggling financially, and Rome is also working.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

On 11/8/2019 at 2:02 PM, cardigirl said:

Who buys a car for their kid on the day they are born?  Seriously? 16 years is a long time for a car to just sit. Even if it is a two-seater Lexus. What a dopey story line. 

On 11/12/2019 at 8:10 AM, Miss Bones said:

I took it as Jon bought the car for himself on the day that Sophie was born.  He drove it from then, until the time he died (or for most of that time), with the intention of gifting it to her when she got her license, since that would be a good time-frame for him to get himself a new car, while being able to gift his old car to his daughter.  That makes sense, IMO.  Then the car wasn't sitting or needing to be hidden from Sophie in the garage for 16 years lol.

ETA:  And I am pretty sure she said *paraphrasing*:   "[Jon] bought this car on the day you were born"  not "Bought this car for you on the day that you were born".

On 11/12/2019 at 8:15 AM, cardigirl said:

I'll have to rewatch that part, as I was pretty certain Delilah said that Jon bought the car FOR Sophie on the day she was born and not just that he bought the car the day she was born, but if that was what she said, then that makes much more sense. Surprising sense for this show.  Ha ha.  

The exact quote:

Dad bought this car the year you were born, and he always wanted to give it to you the day you got your license.

 

On 11/8/2019 at 2:02 PM, cardigirl said:

She can drive her brother around as immediate family members are allowed with underage drivers in Massachusetts, but she shouldn't have been driving PJ around unless he's 21:

Teens holding a junior operator's license may not drive with any passengers under age 18 (other than an immediate family member) for the first 6 months unless accompanied by a licensed driver at least 21 years old. They may not drive between 12:30 a.m. and 5 a.m. unless accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

PJ can’t be 21. Part of Jon’s story is that his BFF Dave died on September 11th. Barbara was pregnant with PJ at the time so even if PJ were born the next day, he’s 18 at most. 

  • Like 3
  • Useful 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The exact quote:

Dad bought this car the year you were born, and he always wanted to give it to you the day you got your license.

Thank you. The year she was born makes a lot more sense than the day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, spinxella said:
 

The math doesn't work for that.  PJ was born in 2002 (since it was several months after 9/11/01).  If Sophie was born in 2004, she would only be turning 15 in 2019 and not able to get her license in Massachusetts. 

The timeline on this show is messed up though. 

Share this post


Link to post

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:06 PM, KaveDweller said:

The math doesn't work for that.  PJ was born in 2002 (since it was several months after 9/11/01).  If Sophie was born in 2004, she would only be turning 15 in 2019 and not able to get her license in Massachusetts. 

The timeline on this show is messed up though. 

What year is that car model?  That is a good way to figure out her birth year, if they paid any attention to detail, but with this show...  Not holding my breath.

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/15/2019 at 9:10 AM, Miss Bones said:

What year is that car model?  That is a good way to figure out her birth year, if they paid any attention to detail, but with this show...  Not holding my breath.

It would narrow it down, but I bought a new 2018 Nissan in April of 2019, and the dealer even had a leftover new 2017 on the lot, so it wouldn’t be a solid clue. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:12 PM, iwasish said:

It would narrow it down, but I bought a new 2018 Nissan in April of 2019, and the dealer even had a leftover new 2017 on the lot, so it wouldn’t be a solid clue. 

True.  I bought a 2019 in 2018, also.  Wasn't really thinking there.

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/11/2019 at 9:52 AM, Clanstarling said:

I had a very different reaction to the Eddie/Delilah story - I never believed it was supposed to be a long term think and always thought that Delilah was never as into it as Eddie. So from my perspective, I don't think they changed their minds at all.

However, I do think they changed course with Katherine. But I'm not sure it had to do with the audience. They were giving her sympathetic scenes right in the beginning - I don't think it was just that the audience reacted sympathetically to her. I think they saw, after the first episode was in the can, that they couldn't go with her being a shrew because Grace brought so much to the role.

Without having paid much attention to articles about the show, etc., this is my take, too.

I think Jon's suicide was always going to be too much for Eddie and Delilah to overcome, and they were never meant to survive it as a couple. Then Grace just knocked off everyone's socks, and they decided to flesh out her character.

Edited by General Days
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/8/2019 at 8:09 PM, sashayshante said:

I think classifying Delilah as a narcissist might be extreme. She's selfish, sure, but so is the rest of the main cast. She doesn't want to lose her kids. I'm not an advocate of her decision to keep the secret, but I can understand why she's doing it. Her family is already fragile. Learning she cheated on their father and got pregnant by their father's friend will be the nail in the proverbial coffin and emotionally scar her kids.

I was okay with the dog switch. As long as both dogs end up in good homes, it works for me. And really, if the owner didn't check shelters, chip her dog or put a collar with tags on him, she doesn't deserve to get her dog back.

It will emotionally scar them a helluva lot more when they find our years later. All the adults know. She will lose Charlie when she finds out. Keeping the secret only does good for Delilah.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'm trying to catch up on this show because overall I like it, but Delilah makes it so hard to do so. I really can't stand her.

Katherine is by far my favorite character on the show.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, that pissed me off. I thought she stopped at the shelter to pick up the other dog for what's his name, and was still giving the proper dog back. I know my dogs, and my cats. They know me.

I wanted to adopt a dog from the pound, but couldn't have another one. She wasn't the best looking dog, so she wasn't getting a lot of attention, but a Christmas miracle happened, and someone said on a facebook post, "I know that dog. I know her owner". They were reunited that day, after at least a month, I think - and that dog apparently went crazy on the other side of the fence, when she saw him approaching the outside, when a volunteer got her out of her cage, and took her out to see him. 

Edited by Anela
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size