Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Aethera

Charmed

I am re-watching season 1 and it feels me with so much joy and sadness.  The season has so many clues on how powerful the sisters would be.. I love the darkness and the soundtrack is awesome, it really sets the mood of the show. The chemistry between the three ladies is just magical, no pun intended.  It is too bad it went left in season 3. 

Season 3 is the beginning of the end for me. Constance is gone and Brad Kern now runs the show. Prue will die at the end of the season due to Shannen's firing.  The prominence of Leo was a foreshadowing of the the male takeover of the show. I have always loved the sisters in season 1, figuring out their battles on their own without Leo's input and the useless elders.  The character assassination of Phoebe Halliwell was vile. Phoebe's enthusiasm for magic and zest for life was so endearing in season 1 and 2. Phoebe betraying the power of 3 and her sisters should have had consequences.  They also ruined the sisters powers in season 3.  Piper should have gotten an offensive power at the beginning of this season while Phoebe gets a defensive power towards the latter half that would help her and her sisters defeat Cole.. Also, the sisters original powers should have grown throughout that season. Morality bites of season 2 gave us a glimpse on what was to come and it is too bad it never materialized. 

I also wanted them to get stronger with their spellcasting abilities.  They were very powerful witches. I always loved that Phoebe had that down pat. I loved her helping Prue cast a spell to help an innocent in season 2.  I wish we had seen the sisters curse demons and bless innocents throughout the series.  I also wish we had seen them face demons that was specific to a particular sister because of her unique abilities. Evil human beings should have been a part of their ongoing battle with evil. It would have been interesting to see how they would neutralize them.   Past Warren witches should have been a part of the show. It would have been cool to see future Warren Witches summon the sisters to their time to help them with a problem that needed the power of 3.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

It would have been cool to see future Warren Witches summon the sisters to their time to help them with a problem that needed the power of 3.

I always really wanted to see some granddaughters show up*. All of the sisters went back and interacted with Patty and/or Penny. It would've been fun to see that storyline from the other side. How would the sisters react if three random witches showed up using their powers and knowing things about their house? And if they did it in Season 7, it could've also been used as a way to bring some peace to Piper and Leo that the boys are okay, that Chris's sacrifice was worth it, and that baby Chris grew up in a happy time.

*This might have happened in Season 8, but I've never been able to make it past the first few episodes. I've rewatched the series a couple of times and I always start to petter out mid Season 7, taking longer and longer in between episodes, that by Season 8, I just sort of forget that I'm watching the show. I don't hate the later seasons. The individual episodes are fine/enjoyable when I watch them; I don't really care about any of them anymore. Then when I remember that I'm doing a rewatch, it's been so long that I end up starting the show over again.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rockstar99435 said:

*This might have happened in Season 8, but I've never been able to make it past the first few episodes. I've rewatched the series a couple of times and I always start to petter out mid Season 7, taking longer and longer in between episodes, that by Season 8, I just sort of forget that I'm watching the show. I don't hate the later seasons. The individual episodes are fine/enjoyable when I watch them; I don't really care about any of them anymore. Then when I remember that I'm doing a rewatch, it's been so long that I end up starting the show over again.

It didn't happen in Season 8--you see some grandchildren in the finale's flashforward but that's about it.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:17 PM, Rockstar99435 said:

I always really wanted to see some granddaughters show up*. All of the sisters went back and interacted with Patty and/or Penny. It would've been fun to see that storyline from the other side. How would the sisters react if three random witches showed up using their powers and knowing things about their house? And if they did it in Season 7, it could've also been used as a way to bring some peace to Piper and Leo that the boys are okay, that Chris's sacrifice was worth it, and that baby Chris grew up in a happy time.

It would have been cool to see those three random witches using their warren powers and seeing the contrast in power between the girls and the charmed ones.  

I always wanted Piper to have had three daughters with her mortal husband as an homage to the power of 3.  I always hated her relationship with Leo, it contributed to her unpleasantness after Prue died.  I think having a mortal husband would have grounded her in the normalcy she always craved in the madness they lived in as witches. If I had my way, Leo would not have come back in season 2. Instead Andy would be alive in season 2 and continue his push/pull dynamic with Prue. Losing him caused her to become super witch in season 3 and it overshadowed her sisters. I always wanted Phoebe to become superwitch since she embraced her legacy without any fear or hesitation.  I could see her honing her premonition powers, her spell casting abilities and  getting an excellent knowledge of the book of shadows. Wyatt would be Prue's son with Andy and  I could see Phoebe falling for a good male witch and having Chris as their son and a daughter.. I never saw Paige with children. For once I would love a show to have a woman who loves children but has no desire to be a mother.   

Shannen Doherty's cancer has returned.

On 1/20/2020 at 3:09 PM, Pearson80 said:

I always wanted Piper to have had three daughters with her mortal husband as an homage to the power of 3. 

I don't mind that she had two sons (and her youngest being little Melinda) since one could fanwank that the Charmed prophecy came to pass, so sons could be born.  I personally would have preferred that sons had been born into the Warrens (but lacking Charmed powers) but be able to father daughters who could have powers.

If I had my way, Leo would not have come back in season 2. Instead Andy would be alive in season 2 and continue his push/pull dynamic with Prue. Losing him caused her to become super witch in season 3 and it overshadowed her sisters.

Initially Leo was NOT supposed to be back after Season 1, but apparently both viewers and TPTB liked him enough to stay.  I didn't mind him, but I think the character and his relationship with Piper could have been handled better.  Andy died when he did because the actor wanted out (my guess is he was aware of the toxic set and wanted to slip out gracefully).  I did miss him though;  Prue likely wouldn't have "died" if he were still around (since he'd be a pointless character without her).

I never saw Paige with children. For once I would love a show to have a woman who loves children but has no desire to be a mother.

Actually, considering her character's history (and that of her husband) Paige having a family makes sense.  Paige lost her adoptive parents as a teen and she craved family.  She got that to a degree with her half sisters, but I can see her wanting to have kids down the road.  Her husband was a foster kid and didn't have a great childhood either, so I can also see him wanting a stable home and family.  If anyone would likely have ended up childless (had she lived) it would have been Prue.  However, as we saw in Reckless Abandoned, she and her sisters did grow to like having a baby around and were willing to concede maybe it might be nice to be a mom when ready.

On 1/15/2020 at 4:17 PM, Rockstar99435 said:

I always really wanted to see some granddaughters show up

We sorta got that when Chris and Wyatt stopped by - even though Chris was originally meant to be something else entirely (that was so sloppy!) ad as mentioned, we saw the witchy little ones at the very end of the series.

On 1/15/2020 at 10:03 AM, Pearson80 said:

They also ruined the sisters powers in season 3.  Piper should have gotten an offensive power at the beginning of this season while Phoebe gets a defensive power towards the latter half that would help her and her sisters defeat Cole.. Also, the sisters original powers should have grown throughout that season. Morality bites of season 2 gave us a glimpse on what was to come and it is too bad it never materialized. 

ITA!  Does anyone remember the thread in which we posed what powers the sisters would (or should) have had?  The sisters were supposed to have three powers each:  one offensive power, one defensive power and one passive power.  Not to mention all the little extensions of each power (like Prue's 2nd self being independent, Piper briefly rewinding time a few seconds, Phoebe using her empathy in her visions, etc.).  The characters really were cheated.  I had posed that we should have had a return to the Cal Green storyline with the sisters' powers having grown to the point we saw in MB, and Phoebe having to deal with her inner desire to avoid using her powers to kill Green (who in the altered future, perhaps tries to rape Paige).

40 minutes ago, magicdog said:

ITA!  Does anyone remember the thread in which we posed what powers the sisters would (or should) have had?  The sisters were supposed to have three powers each:  one offensive power, one defensive power and one passive power.  Not to mention all the little extensions of each power (like Prue's 2nd self being independent, Piper briefly rewinding time a few seconds, Phoebe using her empathy in her visions, etc.).  The characters really were cheated.  I had posed that we should have had a return to the Cal Green storyline with the sisters' powers having grown to the point we saw in MB, and Phoebe having to deal with her inner desire to avoid using her powers to kill Green (who in the altered future, perhaps tries to rape Paige).

If Shannen and Constance had remained with the show and Cole was written as pure evil as Constance wanted, then, I could see Cal Greene coming back.  I think that Cal should have hurt a good friend of Phoebe's. I don't think Cal a human could hurt a powerful witch like Paige. 

I always wanted to see Evil Phoebe and Prue interact. As much as I loved  the evil Phoebe story in season 4, it would have had more gravitas with Prue. Paige did not have the history with her sisters like Prue. Evil Phoebe trying to steal the Book of shadows to neutralize her older sisters would have been interesting given the fact that they are more powerful than her.  Not to mention with her advanced premonitions, how would Prue and Piper prevent her from using that against them.  So many possibilities were lost..

I wanted to close out my post by saying that my heart goes out to Shannen. She is a wonderful actress and Charmed was never the same without her.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 12:04 PM, Pearson80 said:

I don't think Cal a human could hurt a powerful witch like Paige. 

I think it depends on circumstances.  Perhaps if Paige (not knowing the events of MB) met Greene and decided to meet up with him, and he slips her a roofie it could happen.  Paige wakes up naked and confused, realized what happened and Phoebe is pissed (or Paige is the one who wants revenge and Phoebe has to do all she can to keep her from doing it).  Of course it would help if other elements of MB were in place like Pratt being the new DA (afer Cole's disappearance) and the sisters being mindful of covering their tracks while he becomes suspicious of their involvement in various cases.

2 hours ago, magicdog said:

I think it depends on circumstances.  Perhaps if Paige (not knowing the events of MB) met Greene and decided to meet up with him, and he slips her a roofie it could happen.  Paige wakes up naked and confused, realized what happened and Phoebe is pissed (or Paige is the one who wants revenge and Phoebe has to do all she can to keep her from doing it).  Of course it would help if other elements of MB were in place like Pratt being the new DA (afer Cole's disappearance) and the sisters being mindful of covering their tracks while he becomes suspicious of their involvement in various cases.

I actually felt that should have been the story going in season 4 with Shannen continuing as Prue. In my imagined version of charmed, Cole is vanquished during the penultimate episode of season 3 with Phoebe orchestrating his vanquish with her premonitions that have grown and evolved in season 3. This will have the unintended consequence of  Cal Greene coming to town. He is introduced in the season finale as the new DA who intends to find out what happened to his predecessor. 

Season 4 could have been about Cal Greene's growing suspicions of the sisters.  Phoebe's depression about Cole that leads to her slowly becoming evil is another story that could have played out in that season interwoven with stories about various demon of the week, progressions of their powers, personal lives and career.

I hated how the show got rid of Buckland's so that Prue could become a photographer. Bucklands could have been an environment where Prue interacts with demons and innocents.  Being a charmed one, she would always be a demon magnet. The same with Quake, I hated P3 as Piper's business.  She was a restaurateur and cooking was her passion and it should have continued on the show.

Edited by Pearson80