Type keyword(s) to search

Nigerian Princess: Differences in Culture

• Start Topic

A place to Respectfully discuss the differences between cultures. All cultures.

Music
Art 
Literature
Food
Clothing
People
Places
Holidays
Possibly Religion if done without conflict
Laws
Customs

Example: If you wanted to know more about the clothes that auntie and uncle were wearing when Bob came over for their first date. Names of the articles of clothing. Are these formal or normal outfits? Where would you normally wear such outfits? Etc. This is the perfect place to expand your knowledge. 

• Love 2

I am the daughter of two European immigrants, Polish and Italian. While there were some differences, there was a lot of similarity as well. 

Food is important. It's probably the most important thing. My Italian grandmother would call us and the first thing she would say after hello was "did you eat?" Quickly followed by "what did you eat?" And dinner at either grandparents house was more than one or two courses. It was usually 4 or 5, lol. 

Appearance is important. I enjoy lounging around in sweats all day long on the weekends or staying in my pajamas but my grandmother hated that. She would want me dressed, regardless of whether I was going out or not. 

Sports and extracurricular activities were not important. It was, and is still considered, a waste of time.  My grandfather doesn't like that I will go see a ballet, or a play, or go out to watch a movie. To him I'm just wasting my money and throwing it away and he will bitch relentlessly about it. It drives me nuts. I've stopped telling him things, heh. 

And Italians love gardens. Everyone has a vegetable garden. We had an Asian family move into the neighbourhood 10 years ago and they removed the garden in their backyard and replaced it with a lovely flower garden. My grandfather still doesn't understand it and will scoff about it. Like not everyone wants to grow tomatoes, grandpa. 

• Love 3

Bob already going with "auntie" upon the first date caught me. I may have missed an episode or moment where they told Bob to call them uncle and auntie. In Filipino culture the girlfriend/fiance's mother does become auntie until she become mom.

• Useful 1

Well they have answered the church issue for Abishola, but not Bob and his family yet. So not Catholic and no vestments so probably an Evangelic Christian of some kind for Abishola and she attends an ethnically mostly Nigerian church.

8 hours ago, Dani said:

She is definitely still married. It came up in the second episode. As for why her aunt and uncle are encouraging her to fraternity other men polygamy is common in Nigeria. It’s already been established that Abishola’s father has three wives. 

Bob- What about your son's dad? Where's he at?

Abishola- He moved back to Nigeria.

Bob- How come?

Abishola- There, he's a civil engineer. Here, he worked in a toll booth.

Bob- So he didn't like change? Nothing? Okay. So, so, you're divorced?

Abishola- No.

Bob- But you're not together anymore?

Abishola- No, we are not. 

It is one of those situations where since the nation is roughly half Muslim national law looks the other way when locals implement Sharia Law, However they have presented Abishola as an Evangelic Christian. Now the husband my have been Muslim and she was in a religiously mixed marriage from the beginning. But I would think it is more likely that as in other places without no fault divorce he simply moved on with an unmarried partner.

Since she lives in Michigan is should be worth an episode or two when she finally gets the state divorce 

• Useful 2

Abandonment is grounds for divorce though, isn't it? After a certain amount of time, I think it's mostly a formality. Of course, in TV, everything is milked for drama, so maybe there will be trouble. They did go out of their way to establish that complication.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

Abandonment is grounds for divorce though, isn't it? After a certain amount of time, I think it's mostly a formality. Of course, in TV, everything is milked for drama, so maybe there will be trouble. They did go out of their way to establish that complication.

In Nigeria the only justification is no sex for a year. but then it doesn't matter Abishola is a resident of Detroit It is Michigan  law that matters for her now. So an episode down the line is due when the separation is formalized in law.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 11/2/2019 at 10:06 AM, Raja said:

Bob already going with "auntie" upon the first date caught me. I may have missed an episode or moment where they told Bob to call them uncle and auntie. In Filipino culture the girlfriend/fiance's mother does become auntie until she become mom.

I'm Polish, and typically you would call an older adult Auntie or Uncle when you know them too well to keep saying Mr. or Mrs., yet just calling them by name seems disrespectful. I kinda thought it was something like that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I just read this article in the Modern Love section of the New York Times that brought tears to my eyes because the end was like my own experience many years ago. 
It is about a couple similar to Bob and Abishola. 
“Firefighter Chases Woman Down Street: Divided by race, politics and pasts, they found a place with each other … until they didn’t” ( https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/21/style/modern-love-race-firefighter-chases-woman-down-street.html )

• Love 1

From S01.E17 :A Big White Thump

One of the first things I learned going to church with Nigerians that the church call and response went when the call to "Praise God" was made the answer is "hallelujah"  not the call back of "praise god" as shown in Abishola's church.

I looked up jollof rice after it was mentioned in an episode.  It seems a fairly simple recipe, so I might try to make it one day.  It's interesting learning about different cultures.

Nigerian food seems very exotic from the perspective of an average American, but maybe one day it won't.  It'll be more known, like salsa, siracha, risotto, etc. ^v^ 

On 3/12/2020 at 3:54 PM, eyesopen said:

Nigerian food seems very exotic from the perspective of an average American, but maybe one day it won't.  It'll be more known, like salsa, siracha, risotto, etc.

IMO that's because Nigerians aren't as widespread in the US as some other populations. Or where they are, their culture is likely well known by others, like here in CT, where we have a lot of Polish immigrants. So everyone, regardless of ethnicity, is pretty familiar with the cuisine.

I was wondering if the foods they mentioned on the show were authentic. Anyone here Nigerian, or familiar with the cuisine, who can verify? I'd like to try some.

9 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

IMO that's because Nigerians aren't as widespread in the US as some other populations. Or where they are, their culture is likely well known by others, like here in CT, where we have a lot of Polish immigrants. So everyone, regardless of ethnicity, is pretty familiar with the cuisine.

Oh you mean like in "New Britsky"?  LOL  I'm sure you know that's what the locals call New Britain, CT because of the large Polish population there.  No offense to any Poles out there, I know the nick name is intended affectionately, NOT as an insult!  They even have a sign up in town welcoming you to "Little Poland", LOL.

I live in the Hartford area so I know what you're talking about, but I'm originally from NYC and there were always a lot of Poles there, so I grew up with the food all around me.

9 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I was wondering if the foods they mentioned on the show were authentic. Anyone here Nigerian, or familiar with the cuisine, who can verify? I'd like to try some.

Oh I know Jolloff Rice is authentic as is Fu Fu.  I've eaten Nigerian food but only once at a restaurant in NYC so long ago I don't remember much about it other than I didn't love what I had because it was a goat dish full of gristle and other textures Americans usually avoid.  I frequent the "Top Chef" thread and remember a few people there who had a little experience with Nigerian food.  Last season a chef who specialized in Nigerian cooking was on the show.  Some of the stuff he made looked delicious, although I do still think some Nigerian food wouldn't appeal to the average American based on flavor and texture combinations, and certain commonly used proteins like goat and cow's feet.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 3

HBO is currently showing "Yvonne Orji: Momma, I Made It!", the Comedy Special of a Nigerian Comedian and actress. In it she talks about what it is like growing up in Nigeria, her life and family, including video from her visit to Nigeria.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

THE LEGEND OF THE UNDERGROUND (HBO | Documentary)

· Synopsis: This film is a searing and timely look at the struggle against rampant discrimination that exists in Nigeria today, as seen through the lens of several charismatic, non-conformist youth who fight to live life out loud. Through social media, celebrity and bold creativity, they spark a cultural debate that challenges the ideals of gender, conformity and civil rights in Nigeria.

· Credits: HBO Documentary films presents THE LEGEND OF THE UNDERGROUND, directed by Nneka Onuorah and Giselle Bailey, executive produced by John Legend, Mike Jackson, Ty Stiklorius, and Austyn Biggers of Get Lifted Film Co.

• Useful 2