Type keyword(s) to search

The Halloween Franchise

Joe Hellandback
  • Start Topic

$50.4 million debut, even with it being available to stream on Peacock!

41 minutes ago, krankydoodle said:

And I wish Karen hadn't been killed off, or at least not in the way they did it.

I really hated that.  I like Judy Greer, and I thought the character was much more interesting than her daughter. 

1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

I didn't say they were smart fighters. Brave. I would say yes. Anyone who stands up to Michael is.

I'd have to disagree.  It's not brave.  It's foolhardy.  I will say I was kind of amused that for all the people who were armed with guns this movie, Michael was lucky that most of the town are terrible shots.  

• Love 2

Halloween Kills was OK. The 2018 movie was much better. Kills made the classic mistake of sidelining it's main character. I don't want to watch Laurie struggling in a hospital bed. I want to see her taking on Michael.

Big John and Little John were great though.

Edited by WritinMan
  • Love 1

So Deputy Hawkins is obviously Karen's father, right?  During his and Laurie's reminiscence in the hospital about "that night," they weren't talking about the Night He Came Home, they were talking about the night they hooked up...yes?  But afterward he didn't want to interfere with her and Ben Tramer.  He's totally Karen's dad.  Though what does that matter at this point?  Who knows.

"Because this was clearly the middle part of a trilogy, and this killer is craving some filler for Halloween" and "As everyone in Haddonfield fights back in the dumbest way possible" sums it up.

I love "You're just going to leave him there?  You're not going to chop him into pieces or blow him up?  He's just going to get up again.  See?  What did I just say?" because you could say that about every horror movie.  When that happened, my friend and I quoted Scream: "This is the moment when the supposedly dead killer comes back to life for one last scare."

• LOL 2

"He says Michael's been terrorizing this town for 40 years."
"Hasn't Michael been locked up for 40 years after killing three people in the late '70s?"

I loved that whole pitch meeting, but the above and "Oh, is that how writing works?  Neat" are my favorite parts.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

"He says Michael's been terrorizing this town for 40 years."
"Hasn't Michael been locked up for 40 years after killing three people in the late '70s?"

I loved that whole pitch meeting, but the above and "Oh, is that how writing works?  Neat" are my favorite parts.

It's something I tried to express earlier. Michael really didn't do THAT much if you are eliminating everything he did after the first movie. I could understand the people directly involved being affected by it but not the whole town. It's also a bit of a stretch to have Laurie being worried about this guy coming back when he was captured that same night and stayed in capture for 40 years. 

On 10/26/2021 at 10:41 AM, Genius said:

So Deputy Hawkins is obviously Karen's father, right?  During his and Laurie's reminiscence in the hospital about "that night," they weren't talking about the Night He Came Home, they were talking about the night they hooked up...yes?  But afterward he didn't want to interfere with her and Ben Tramer.  He's totally Karen's dad.  Though what does that matter at this point?  Who knows.

That was such an odd & cryptic conversation that I feel like they have to revisit it in Halloween Ends. Laurie says she never said anything because she "couldn't be sure because I was so messed up." But Hawkins says that they only kissed and held hands "that night" and that he was hoping for more. So unless Hawkins is suffering from some serious memory loss, he and Laurie never slept together and he can't be Karen's father. But if he's not Karen's dad then what was it that Laurie "couldn't be sure" of? 

The hospital setting gives the film a Halloween II vibe automatically. Except this hospital actually has people in it, a problem pointed out in that movie's CinemaSins. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYScv9qXRu0

I cheered when the firefighter revved up the chainsaw at the sight of Michael Myers. I wish he had made it, but it was a valiant effort. 

"He's infected your family. He's infected my family. With grief and fear for 40 years. He's gonna die tonight." I like his moxie. And that really goes for the whole town.  I love that the victims generally fought back. The "town fighting back against the killer" plot reminds me of Nightmare on Elm Street.  

I like the weirdly realistic look these two entries have had that's reminiscent of the original. I'm glad to see Sheriff Brackett back (though an 80-year-old security guard seems like a bad idea) and using his most memorable line as a Pre-Asskicking One Liner, though bringing him back just to kill him seems mean. Which I guess I could say about a lot of characters, especially Tommy Doyle. 

So after all the emphasis in the 2018 movie on Michael being just a mortal man, now he's not? We should really see people leaving town en masse on Halloween in Haddonfield. 

• Love 1
On 10/26/2021 at 11:26 AM, WritinMan said:

Kills made the classic mistake of sidelining it's main character. I don't want to watch Laurie struggling in a hospital bed. I want to see her taking on Michael.

This was my biggest complaint about the movie. I am not a huge fan of slasher movies, but I am a Jamie Lee Curtis fan - so I have watched all of the Halloween movies that she was in. I was very disappointed that her role was so reduced in this movie - to the point where I felt the marketing was a bit deceitful.

I do like Anthony Michael Hall, so was glad to see his prominent role - although I had no idea he was even in the movie prior to watching it. If he has been doing any press, I missed it.

• Love 1

I have the 2018 version on Blu-Ray, and my friend and I re-watched it after watching Kills -- but also after we'd re-watched the original, so by that point we were pretty drunk, and thus when I watched it again tonight, it was to some extent the first time in a couple of years.

While it has some issues, watching it after Kills and its many more issues, I love it even more.  It's a good movie with a great ending, and I hope like hell the final part of the trilogy kicks ass so I don't wish 2018 had been the end of the Laurie arc.

Also, it contains - in Vicky the babysitter - one of my favorite characters in the franchise in terms of getting attached and caring she got killed.  She's very natural, and great with the little kid.  I still can't believe they gave away her kill in the trailer, because that was a seriously good jump scare. 

I know the trailer for the latest one gave away most of the kills, but it didn't affect my viewing the way knowing Vicky bought it (even though, of course she did, even though she only dry fucked, heh) did.

• Love 1
On 10/16/2021 at 5:15 PM, Bastet said:

Yes, that is the one massive problem with retconning the original and pretending all the sequels never happened, that Michael was captured in 1978 and remained locked away until he escaped 40 years later -- Laurie is, as Karen suffered through and tried to make her daughter understand, a nutjob, convinced for absolutely no reason that Michael is someday going to break out and come after her, when really she was just one of several random babysitters that night.

I think it's a huge mistake. The most chilling part about the ending was the way Michael vanished into the night (and also inadvertently provided the perfect way to segue into the first sequel). Laurie's fear would have made far more sense if he was still out there.

• Love 1

My husband and I watched the 78 version, then 2018 and then Kills on Saturday night. So I had Michael Myers on the brain when I went to sleep. Needless to say, I couldn't really go to sleep lol.

I wasn't a huge fan of this one. I did like that they brought back a lot of the original characters. I think Lindsay was the only one who survived, Tommy brought her to the hospital. The ending fight when Michael gets back up and kills Tommy, Brackett and everyone around him was intense. For some reason, Cameron's death was the hardest for me. Poor Allison, who has already been through so much, that she had to see that. And Allison losing her friends and parents in one night! I wonder how she'll be in the next one. 

I was also upset about Karen. I love Judy Greer. Her "gothca" moment from the previous one made me cheer out loud in the theater. 

36 minutes ago, MaggieG said:

The ending fight when Michael gets back up and kills Tommy, Brackett and everyone around him was intense. For

I admit that I haven't watched this continuity, but I've read enough about it to know that I don't like it. After all the hell that poor Tommy went through in the first continuity, it sucks that he'd be killed in this one, especially since he at least survived originally. Same for Sheriff Brackett. It's bad enough that his daughter was murdered by this psycho, now him too?

• Love 1

I'm simultaneously so excited and so nervous.  I loved the first part of this final trilogy, and thought it would have been a terrific ending for the franchise.  The middle entry was okay, more of a transition piece than as a film on its own.  I take heart in this always being planned as a trilogy, rather than the 2018 film having been intended as a one-off and then subsequent films ordered once it was a huge success.  So I want "Ends" to be completely kick-ass as the final entry.  That's just a lot to live up to, and I hope it's a worthy finale.

• Love 1

If they do go the route of killing them both off in the end, they're going to have to do a really good job of making me think that's the best ending, but I'm definitely intrigued to find out.  Maybe Allison is the sole survivor, leaving a new Final Girl?  But I'd like the OG of FGs to still be standing.  It's hard to do a story where our hero dying is a great ending, especially when the hero is a woman, but it can be done (of course, only Thelma & Louise is springing to mind right now).

I'm just glad it's available for streaming at the same time, as I'm still not going to theatres.  Now I just have to find out if my friend still has Peacock (update: She does not, but she's going to sign up for a month so we can watch this).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Well, that had a lot of WTF moments. Halloween Ends wasn't at all what I was expecting after seeing the trailer, and not in a good way. I did think it was kind of interesting, but it wasn't a satisfying finale. At least it was consistent in having Allyson continue to make bad choices throughout the trilogy, though she did come through at the end.

Edited by krankydoodle

Wow--Halloween Ends is really bad. Too bad. This new trilogy started out promising, basically turning Laurie into a crazy old prepper waiting for Michael. The following two movies never really carried through on the idea.

Although...

Spoiler

Feeding Michael into that car-crusher thing was kind of funny.

Edited by WritinMan
Typo!
  • Love 3

Was the 2018 reboot originally supposed to be a one off?  That's really the only way I can explain the dramatic drop in quality for Halloween Kills and Halloween Ends, i.e. that they intended to finish it with one movie and really had no idea how to keep the story going in a plausible fashion. 

• Love 5
41 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Was the 2018 reboot originally supposed to be a one off?  That's really the only way I can explain the dramatic drop in quality for Halloween Kills and Halloween Ends, i.e. that they intended to finish it with one movie and really had no idea how to keep the story going in a plausible fashion. 

Yes, this is what happens when you keep trying to stretch it out with sequels. You’d think these writers would have learned a lesson from the original timeline franchise, but no.

I think I liked the movie if I think of it as its own standalone non-Halloween movie compared to the finale of the 40-something franchise. 

Things I liked:

• Lindsey from the original lived from Kills. I thought she had died, but looking it up, it seems Tommy did get her to the hospital. I'm just glad we have more than Laurie living from the original film.
  • Lady who couldn't work a drone from Kills survived.
  • Hey, kid from 2018 movie, good to see you again. Have fun being the new Tommy in 20 years.
  • The actor playing Corey, And I enjoyed seeing a male babysitter for once. 
  • That they caught up to real time after the last two took place on the same night. 
  • Laurie's house. I want it. 
  • Homage to the first movie with Laurie's outfit in that last confrontation. 
  • Michael went in a car crusher. (Although the decapitation from H20 is still best and I would've liked that done first). 

Things I did not like:

• Corey's not a murderer in the opening death but becomes one.
  • Was there a supernatural element in there? It looked like Michael read Corey's past or something when they made eye contact, and I felt like they were implying the "unkillable" kind of thing when he was jumping off the radio station. And it felt like they initially were going with some kind of possession-like thing, or Michael's evil as an infection. 
  • What? We're having things happening not on Halloween? That's - that's not the formula!
  • Not enough Michael Myers. And especially not enough spooky Michael POV stalking scenes.
  • I don't know how I feel about the opening montage of all the things going wrong in Haddonfield with people killing. Seems like a thread that didn't properly go anywhere. 
Edited by bettername2come
  • Like 1
On 10/15/2022 at 2:00 PM, txhorns79 said:

Was the 2018 reboot originally supposed to be a one off? 

No, which is why I don't understand why the rest of the trilogy is so damn weak.  It plays like something rushed into production to capitalize on a hit, not like something planned from the beginning, but they'd always intended it to be an arc.

Unlike the rest of the film, the ending of this final installment was decent - Chekhov's grinder, a 60-something woman emerging victorious, and my friend and I even cheered at points - but the first part of the trilogy was an infinitely better movie overall and an exponentially better ending.  THAT - three generations of Strode women bringing him down in a terrific combination of brain and brawn - should have been the last we saw.

Instead the next two installments tried so very hard to say things about vigilante justice, mob mentality, trauma, infamy, violence as infectious, etc. but were merely tedious.  Especially this last one.  Good gods!  Laurie was hospitalized in part two, so her being sidelined was necessitated by the story, but centering this one on some new dude - played by an actor with ZERO of the charisma needed to make this story work - and the granddaughter being an utter idiot over him, and giving us hardly any Laurie and Michael -- you know, the characters this whole fucking thing is about -- was just stupid. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, bettername2come said:

Was there a supernatural element in there? It looked like Michael read Corey's past or something when they made eye contact, and I felt like they were implying the "unkillable" kind of thing when he was jumping off the radio station. And it felt like they initially were going with some kind of possession-like thing, or Michael's evil as an infection. 

I read the novelization for Halloween Kills, which had some interesting parts from Michael's POV and an ending different to the movie's, and I'm hoping the one for Halloween Ends will explain what was happening in the Michael-Corey scene and maybe something about what Michael was doing in the years between killing Karen and becoming Corey's mentor.

Would anyone in Haddonfield really be celebrating Halloween just a year after Michael's massacre, especially when he was still on the loose? And how did that kid get flung over the staircase railing because surely he wasn't tall enough to clear it? How did Sondra survive that gushing neck wound? Corey was off-putting from the start and what was with his mother who was so cartoonishly over the top that I first thought she was doing a bit? I have so many questions.

Of this new trilogy, I enjoyed the first one (until I started thinking about it logically and it all fell apart,) and thought Kills got too campy with the town mob. 

This one - whew - half way through the movie I was convinced this whole thing would end with Laurie finishing her book and saying, "Back in the 70s I babysat some kids and had this idea. What if a scary, masked madman tried to kill us? Please enjoy the final Book 13 in my Halloween series."

Like super convinced. And then that did not happen.

1 hour ago, krankydoodle said:

Would anyone in Haddonfield really be celebrating Halloween just a year after Michael's massacre, especially when he was still on the loose?

We were also taken aback by Laurie and Allison casually celebrating Halloween.  When Laurie said baking a pie was a family Halloween tradition, my friend and I both said, "So is getting butchered!"  (I guess since four years have passed, I can fanwank they decided somewhere in there to reclaim the holiday, but they seemed oddly casual about it being the anniversary of the massacre of 3/5ths of the family.)

• Love 2

The part that annoys me was how everyone was blaming Laurie for everything. I seem to remember that Dr. Doomis (as Alanda Parker dubbed him) was the one responsible for Michael’s escape, but sure, let’s blame Laurie for “egging him on”. 🙄

You’d think somebody that had been proven right about everything for the past two movies would have earned some credibility in the town, let alone her stupid granddaughter…

Well, it was still a better sendoff for her than Halloween Resurrection. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

The part that annoys me was how everyone was blaming for everything.

Yeah, WTF was that?  She "egged him on"?  By what, surviving?  He killed her friends, tried to kill her, and got locked up for 40 years.  Then he escaped and went on a rampage.  She - utterly inexplicably, but we'll go with it - had been prepared for that and trapped him.  But then he escaped again, and went on another rampage, while she was stuck in a hospital bed.  So this is all her fault, how, exactly?

Add victim blaming to the list of themes this tried and utterly failed to explore.

Edited by Bastet
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3

I'm not opposed to somebody else putting on the mask, and becoming the new "The Shape", but you gotta build it.  Don't introduce somebody, have them go through the process to become the new Michael in 1 got dang hour.  And this wasn't just the first time we met Corey, it was also the first time Allyson met him, and she immediately was in love with him, willing to ignore Laurie and the warning signs that Corey might have some things in common with Michael.  You introduce Corey in the 2018 one, you let us get to know him, see his progression, see he and Allyson's relationship, and then have him become Michael?  That would have been fine.

The 2018 movie and Kills all took place in one night.  There was a shitload that Michael survived and just brushed off in those two movies.  There were hints that Michael was becoming the Boogieman, he was becoming something more, and Laurie understood it.  But, all that was for nothing, Michael's just an ordinary guy, and he got his ass kicked by Corey.

Now for the good.  The opening was good, I'll give them that.  And everything from Laurie vs Michael till the end was good.

• Love 1

My cousin watched Halloween Ends on Friday and said it was one of the five dumbest movies he had ever seen and that with no experience he probably could have come up with something better. After seeing it, I can't disagree with either of those points.

The 2018 Halloween was really good and then the studio decided to get greedy and announce a trilogy. By the time they got to the third movie they realized they had no story left whatsoever. I can't believe that what we saw in Ends was the writers plan all along.

The opening scene was unexpected and the story of a new killer was intriguing but quickly delved and fell apart as the film went on. Allyson's bizarre and pathetic instacrush on Cory didn't he'll and I'm not sure what they were doing making her such a unsympathetic character throughout most of the movie.

After Michael Myers survived a beatdown  by half the town and killed them all, killed Laurie's daughter and escaped once again, Laurie has now become less paranoid and more happy? It would have made a hell of a lot more sense if Laurie had been like this in the 2018 Halloween and crazy paranoid in this film like she was in the 2018 film.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, benteen said:

The 2018 Halloween was really good and then the studio decided to get greedy and announce a trilogy. By the time they got to the third movie they realized they had no story left whatsoever. I can't believe that what we saw in Ends was the writers plan all along.

Jeremy Jahns's review of how this probably was made is hilarious and so on point based on the comments I'm reading here. Boy, Jamie Lee Curtis sure painted a verrrrrrry different picture about this when she was on The View last week.

• Love 1
On 10/16/2022 at 10:15 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I seem to remember that Dr. Doomis (as Alanda Parker dubbed him) was the one responsible for Michael’s escape,

Seriously.  The crazy doctor, whose name I forget, (the one Laurie called the "new Loomis") drove Michael over to Laurie's house.  He let him get loose!  How is this Laurie's fault at all? 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Halloween will never be allowed to nail the landing. The Akkad family has this as their cash cow and they never let the story end when it should. Halloween '78, H20, Zombie's first Halloween  and 2018 all had great conclusions that got fucked up by follow ups. Constantly squandering good will. I don't care if the reboot. But, don't ruin your conclusions and THEN reboot it. H20 is the most agregious. I'm still insulted by the retcon they did for resurrection.

They also basically made this Michael supernatural which is something they promised they wouldn't do. By the end of Halloween Kills, Myers is not human being.

• Love 1

Laurie's house. I want it. 

It was a beautiful house.  It made me want there to be a Haddonfield home makeover show where they featured Laurie.  I would have loved to have seen the host's faces as Laurie explained she needed a new house makeover because she burned the last one down trying to kill a serial killer who had murdered her friends and family members. 

I didn't hate the movie but as the third film in the trilogy, it was disappointing. I wish they had only made two movies. Kills had a lot of good stuff in it but I wish they had left out the "Evil dies tonight" hospital mob, resulting in the death of that other escaped inmate. It didn't work for me and went on too long. Then, at the end, I would have liked to see Michael finally get killed like in Ends. It could be the people of the town doing it with Laurie showing up at the end to witness it and/or help. I don't know, something like that.

Call me crazy, but I liked it. Is it the best of the Halloween movies? Hell no, not even close, but it had some good scares and I had a good time watching it with my friend. I didn't leave the theatre frustrated or pissed off like I did with both of Zombie's films.

Haddonfield is a small town and they needed someone to blame for Michael's killings since they couldn't find him. Laurie had been saying for 40 years that Michael was coming back and I think a lot of people thought she may have willed it into happening, that by being so prepared for him to kill again, she brought him back into town. They need someone to blame and Laurie was an easy target. In addition, a tragedy like what happened will haunt a town, especially since the person who did it escaped justice. You start to see the killer everywhere and in every bad thing that happens. Michael needed to die and everyone needed to witness that death if the town were ever to move on. Basically, Haddonfield was stuck in the anger stage of grief and now they can finally move to acceptance.

And so can Laurie and Alison. Alison can move on from her parents' deaths and know that her grandma will be fine. And Laurie can finally have a normal relationship with Hawkins. I may be the only one, but I enjoyed their tentative steps toward each other.

And Corey... I think there was always something a little off about Corey but it took being shunned and threatened by the townspeople to bring it out. He was honestly trying to just lay low and move on with his life but the town wouldn't let him. The final push was running into Michael. Evil recognizes evil and that is why Michael let Corey live. Tired of being treated badly because of what happened, he decided to become the monster they already believed he was. I wish, like a poster mentioned above, that they had placed Corey in the earlier films to really give us a chance to know his character but hindsight is 20/20.

If I understand the situation correctly, Jeremy was standing outside the door as Corey was kicking it open. The final kick hit Jeremy and the force threw him over the railing. It was an accident, a horrible one, but an accident none the less.

These are just my thoughts. My ranking of the films for this timeline: Halloween (1978), Halloween (2018), Halloween Ends, and Halloween Kills. Unlike the other timelines, I have no problem watching all of the films again. Cannot say the same thing for either of the Zombie films, Resurrection, or Halloween 5.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, cmahorror said:

but it had some good scares

I found it fairly lacking on that front until the end, but the jump scare with the kid at the beginning was fantastically good for something that turned out to be so stereotypically innocuous.  Up there in the franchise's great fake-outs, as we're contemplating how interesting it is to finally have a male babysitter, and then -- <scream!>

especially since the person who did it escaped justice.

But he didn't.  In the original series, yes, but in this trilogy's universe, Michael Myers was apprehended and incarcerated for 40 years until he escaped.

Michael needed to die and everyone needed to witness that death if the town were ever to move on. Basically, Haddonfield was stuck in the anger stage of grief and now they can finally move to acceptance.

This is one of the few things Ends did far better than Kills (itself heavily flawed and largely shit compared to the 2018 reboot that kicked off this trilogy) -- the "Evil dies tonight!" vengeance rally of people with the most ineffectual weapons - and brains - ever was doomed to end in the futility of Kills, while the grinder payoff after the women did their thing in Ends worked.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Bastet said:
14 hours ago, cmahorror said:

especially since the person who did it escaped justice.

But he didn't.  In the original series, yes, but in this trilogy's universe, Michael Myers was apprehended and incarcerated for 40 years until he escaped.

That is what I was saying, Michael escaped justice for the dozens of people he killed when he escaped. Until that time, Laurie was just the looney woman in the woods. Once Michael escaped and went on the rampage, they needed someone to blame and she was the most likely target.

To think John Carpenter and Debra Hill only wanted to do Myers in just the original movie...and future movies were to be anthology movies. 

After the crap of this new trilogy and all the others (including Halloween II)...I wish more than just Halloween III Season of the witch was made..and other anthology movie was made.

Ok after watching the trilogy of Halloween. Here is what I thought of Ends. 

We see Laurie writing what is her book which is fine. We want to see her life with Michael.

Next we go to a new character NO ONE knows about but still ok maybe Michael will show up. Sadly no he doesn't. What happens is there is an accident. Horrible as it is, it's an accident. We do not know of the baby sitters past at all. He is new and just appears. We don't know if he is evil and had any thoughts of evil. How could we he was added. Mind you Michael was evil from the start the 1978 movie and the Rob Zombie movie. We saw he was evil. This movie we don't see it until Michael looks at this new character.

So we now are to assume Michael looking at someone turns them evil? And this is half way thru the movie Michael makes an appearance. We still have to endure the new character, with no background from any movie, goes on. All this is is him getting back at the 4 who taunted him.

Ok fine, now we have Corey 'teaching' Michael how to fight. Um it's 4 years later and Kills had the guy end being a bad ass and he now has to be taught how to fight? okaaaaay. We see a tag team kill. Wow.

Meanwhile the grandaughter is so in love with this killer?How? Why? So much so that she spits on Laurie and leaves?

Then comes the final 20 minutes. LOL. Corey shows up in Michaels mask. Yeah that would be a smart choice. He then puts a knife in his throat if he can't have the grandaughter. She sees and runs. Coward. Of course enter Michael now. Kills Corey and takes his mask back. There is a 5 minute fight between Laurie and Michael. She wins and he is then put in the car crusher. Mask on table for show. Who will take over. Surprise! It ends with her book.

False advertisement for me. They made this a battle between Michael and Laurie and it wasn't. 5 minutes isn't the movie. Jamie Lee got her ending for Laurie with her writing a book and 'killing' Michael but it wasn't a show down like they said it was.

They should have ended with 2018. Laurie got him and trapped him. I blame the guys who wrote this. They ended a trilogy with a weak but it's a character perspective movie. I think they should not have done the trilogy if they ended with this.  Should have bee the 2018 ending!

• Love 2