Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Giant Misfit

S01.E01: Meet the Plaths

They remind me of the Willis family before all the horrors were revealed–not quite Duggar level fundie, but very controlling and entirely made-for-TV, plus the fact that they’re a family band.  Yeesh

• Like 2

On 11/1/2019 at 11:27 AM, Phoebe70 said:

Seems like his wife is playing the role of the "bad influence" who gets him to drink his first Coke (gasp!), his first margarita and watch tv for the first time. 

Ok.. I broke down too and watched b/c it followed Counting On... this morning it followed an Outdaughtered rerun.

First opinion - I think Olivia is enjoying kinda "raising" Ethan.  Teaching all about drinking, and probably sex, and just living in a world outside of the Platt bubble. But what is going to happen in about 10 years - when she gets kinda tired of playing mother and wants a "man".. She flys to SF to shoot pictures (how in the hell did she get that gig)  and he does what - fixes cars in a country garage..

Is Olivia from south GA too ?

Second - Kim the mom...why can't she realize in her 35-40 yrs of living that her mom made a bad choice in men and followed by another bad choice, in abusing alcohol.  And she didn't finish the story - did the mom suddenly go to a treatment center and found Jesus when she turned 14? Did mom abuse sugar too ?

Just because a parent made a bad choice - doesn't mean you - the adult child- have to go to the other extreme in everything else - placing your children in a bubble of life.  Thankfully she found a man who seems to agree with everything thing she is doing. And thankfully - sounds like he as a city job (ie a pension and job security) working as a city planner in Tallahassee.

And Kim - you pissed me off with the SF (implying any major city) has "drugs and human trafficking".  Drugs are everywhere . Human trafficking is everywhere. Sorry. Have you took a moment to look into how certain parts of GA became famous for running moonshine and cooking meth and/or what ever that creation is that is the reason why certain OTC you have to ask the pharmacist for ?

Edited by sATL
  • Like 4

On 11/14/2019 at 3:08 PM, b2H said:

I love how they played in to the very worst of San Francisco to confirm the narrative of how California is so awful in this episode.  Those that live in the area had to have been offended.

I was offended (see my above post) - as I too live in a major city . I never have been to SF and I too sensed they showed the worst of the city.

sallyandlinus.gif.7522d6a10a9234a3726059e0816f712c.gif

Edited by sATL
  • Like 2

I live in Tallahassee and graduated from FSU.  I shop in Narcissus which is where they went in the first episode. Cairo is about a 40 min drive for me, I’ve had to go up there for work related issues in the past. Anyway, this is very amusing to me. Maybe I’ll run into them here, especially since the dad works in Tallahassee.  

On another note, I read Ethan and Olivia got married the Sat after Hurricane Michael hit last year. Cairo was hit pretty badly, we all were without power for days. Says they got ready for wedding without electricity etc. would love to hear, see more of this. You would never know in the wedding video she posted!

That  mother and father really are abusive, in that these kids most likely will never lead a normal life. Look at that oldest boy..he is just plain odd because of his upbringing and nothing is ever going to change that. The girl who wants to be free acts more normal, but none of the rest seem to at this point. When is isolating your kids to the point that they do, just too much, and maybe the kids need to be placed elsewhere?

• Like 2

On 11/7/2019 at 11:40 AM, Lizzing said:

Ethan was Kenneth from 30 Rock.  Damn if that isn't the truth

Ha!  I came here just to write this...was wondering if anyone else was seeing Kenneth in every scene.

On 11/5/2019 at 10:20 PM, Horrified said:

If I were to watch this stoned, it would play like a horror show.

...or a 30 Rock spinoff, depending upon just how stoned you might be.  Or so I've heard.

😉

• Laugh 1

I have to admit I just don’t get what Olivia sees in Ethan. I think she’s beautiful, poised and smart. I would be totally embarrassed to be with someone so awkward especially when I was 21.  Also, momma fundie being SO anti sugar, everything healthy, comes off as phony as hell because obviously she’s eating something besides kale smoothies.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 6

On 11/7/2019 at 11:40 AM, Lizzing said:

Against my better judgment, I ended up watching this show out of morbid curiosity.  It's terribly fake and it led me down a couple of Reddit rabbit holes, but the most astute thing I saw over there was that Ethan was Kenneth from 30 Rock.  Damn if that isn't the truth--and this family is media savvy enough that I think he watched the show to build his character.

Thank you! It was bugging me who this kid reminded me of. I was thinking Liberace or Zach Galifianakis’ “twin brother,” Seth, but those didn’t seem quite right. It’s definitely Kenneth the page.

I really like this show. Love that their not hiding the fact that their relationships aren’t perfect. I wish the married son could see his siblings though. It’s hurtful that they try and keep him and his wife away because they need to be supervised around the younger ones. That’s just wrong. 

• Like 1