Type keyword(s) to search

Tori & Dean: Cabin Fever

(edited)

Tori & Dean: Cabin Fever

Filmed in Orillia's idyllic cottage countryside, notable Hollywood couple Tori Spelling and Dean McDermott transform a lakeside cottage into their dream vacation getaway. For Dean, the move means coming home to Canada, but for the rest of the family it's uncharted territory. With their four kids in tow, the couple spend a hilarious summer exploring life in the great outdoors, all the while putting their DIY experience to work on their fabulous new property.

Episodes 1 and 2 air tonight on GAC (Great American Country) channel at 10 and 10:30 pm ET, and again at 2 and 2:30 am ET (Saturday).

From Radar Online:

The Great American Country series, Tori & Dean: Cabin Fever, will follow the Spelling-McDermott clan as they leave Los Angeles to renovate a lakeside cottage in McDermott’s native Ontario, Canada. It will premiere on July 4— just weeks after the sad conclusion of her reality trainwreck True Tori.

In the video preview for the show, which was filmed last summer, it’s clear cracks were already beginning to form in the couple’s eight-year marriage.

“We need to get on the same page here,” McDermott, 47, says as the couple helps with their new home’s construction.

“Men and women are never on the same page,” Spelling, 41, sighs.

The troubled pair’s four kids—Liam, 7, Stella, 6, Hattie, 2, and Finn, 1— are also prominently featured in the clip.

Let's watch and look for the early signs of marital problems before Emily Goodhand (allegedly) entered the picture.

Edited by LuckyBitch

I can't believe I set up a series recording for this show. Between the Kardashians and Tori & Dean, I feel unclean.

LOL, I just blame it on summer! We're allowed to watch trash TV and give our brains a break. Plus, having watched True Tori it will be interesting to watch this one to see how they were doing last summer before it all hit the fan.

From Tori's website:

Tune In: Tori & Dean Cabin Fever

July 4th, 2014 by Tori Spelling

VuHOGUd.png

Not only is it the 4th of July, but it’s also the premiere of our new home renovation show Tori & Dean: Cabin Fever! It premieres tonight, Friday, July 4at 10/9c on Great American Country (GAC) owned by HGTV.

The show is reality meets reno! We filmed it last summer and it documents our whole family moving up to Canada for the summer to renovate a lakeside cottage. Dean and I and all 4 kids completely renovated and decorated an entire cottage ourselves. Watch the 6 episode series and see us redo all the rooms, bring my modage style (modern vintage) to the lake, and create an amazing outdoor oasis! We DIY’d our hearts out and created a dream summer destination. We even picked up a couple goats, chickens and rabbits on the way!

Will you be watching?

Love,

T

If this is a full show and not a one episode special it needs a forum. I can move these posts there after you request it and get it set up. 

It's only 6 episodes, do we really have to go through the pain-in-the-ass ritual of getting a forum for it?

• Love 1

Ok, it can stay here then. If it turns into a real show we'll reassess. Thanks. 

Thanks!

Instead of having this as a True Tori thread, might it be better to make it a Tori Spelling Reality Shows thread? She has a lot of shows, but none of them last for seasons, they're all limited shows. Kind of like there's a thread for all Nigella Lawson Shows. 

• Love 2

I just looked at the make-over on GAC and it looks sadly like the before not after in the featured pixs. Lots of old crap stuff that's just old and not charming vintage. The two younger kids have their own rooms and oddly the oldest boy and girl share a room. Anyway looking forward to posts because I don't get this channel and Hulu doesn't seem to carry much of what Tori does.

• Love 1

Just watched the first two episodes. Their new bathroom is....interesting. I guess the family that poops together, stays together. How that urinal is supposed to help is beyond me, the only males in the family are Dean, Liam, & Finn who is still in diapers. How many times a day do Dean & Liam pee? That still leaves Tori, the nanny, & Stella needing the toilet for everything, & Dean & Liam needing it for some things. I bet as soon as the show was wrapped they sold the place.

• Love 1

Just watched the two episodes. Huge snoozefest and I thought Dean looked godawful in his coveralls. Never realized he had such a barrel chest. I don't believe they kept their "cottage" one minute longer than it took to film the show. 

• Love 1

those coveralls were absurd - he looked even more douch-ey than normal.  Although, I did notice he looked quite a bit younger than he did just one short year later on True Tori -- she is aging the shit outta him.

• Love 3

Tori is her usual over the top self in this ridiculous premise of a show.  She wants everything just her way, and at no time, does the cost of anything come into play.  It starts out kind of like House Hunters, as a real estate agent shows them three options.  They pick the most obvious of the choices, and then episode 2 is the debacle of a second bathroom.  Poor Patsy looks so overworked and tired while Tori and Dean pretend to be ever so involved in their children.  Same old, same old.

• Love 1
(edited)

I finally watched it and the only surprise is that I somehow managed to stay awake.

It all seems fake as usual, with so many parts that don't make sense. Patsy is with them and Tori kept saying they needed enough space (and bathrooms) for "a family of seven", as if Patsy is always with them and always will be every time they go up there. That was last summer, yet six months or so later when she filmed True Tori, she was all alone, no help with the kids, blah, blah, blah.

I don't even believe they bought that place. First of all, wasn't her poor me book tour just last year? She claimed they made bad real estate decisions and lost money and weren't doing well financially. Plus, the house they filmed True Tori in is a rental, I believe. Do they even own a home in L.A. at this point? Yet, last summer they decided on a whim to look for a half million dollar "cabin" in Ontario that needs at least six figures worth of work? Sure.

Also, if they have no help, who took care of their menagerie of pets back home while they spent the summer up at the cabin?

And then she buys a couple of goats, some chickens, and some rabbits for the kids at the cabin? What did they do with them at the end of the summer? It all seems like contrived bullcrap for a show. Dean, Tori, and Patsy were all playing up the shtick that Tori loves animals, is always coming home with them, you can't stop her, we knew that trip to the farm would result in this.

In the first episode when they were looking for a house, all Tori did was scream like a little girl every two minutes. Grow the eff up, please. Screaming over being on a sea plane, screaming over being on a boat, screaming over cobwebs and spiders, screaming over the skunk in the basement,  screaming over Dean opening up a kitchen cabinet over her head, screaming over the oven door that fell off (which seemed like a fake "comedy" set up to me anyway). It all seemed fake, fake, fake.

They left that farm with dozens of eggs but their kitchen was ripped out. So they had no fridge to store them, but okay some people leave fresh eggs out. But they had no stove to make the eggs on. Do we believe that Tori, Dean, Patsy, and four little kids stayed in that house for who knows how long with no kitchen? They didn't say one word about the difficulty of not having a kitchen and no mention was made as to where or how they were cooking meals, (backyard grill? toaster oven in the living room?), or getting food, (takeout?)  I'm just not buying it at all. 

Also, do we even believe they went four or five days with no bathroom, and just the port-a-john? No showers or baths for anyone? Or, hmm, maybe this "cabin" was just a set and they were all staying in a hotel nearby. There were several construction scenes with Tori, Dean, and contractors, but Patsy and the kids were nowhere to be seen and not a mention was made as to where they were for the day. 

Yes, I have totally over-analyzed this! Hanging my head in shame....

Oh, one more thing - if you want to see a summer cottage redone, nobody does it better than Sarah Richardson in her show that aired on HGTV a few years ago, Sarah's Summer House, (Sarah's Cottage on HGTV Canada).

Edited by LuckyBitch
  • Love 5
(edited)

I just looked at the make-over on GAC and it looks sadly like the before not after in the featured pixs. Lots of old crap stuff that's just old and not charming vintage. The two younger kids have their own rooms and oddly the oldest boy and girl share a room. Anyway looking forward to posts because I don't get this channel and Hulu doesn't seem to carry much of what Tori does.

@Almost 3000, wow, thanks for letting us know about that photo album on GAC's website. That living room and dining room are hideous. What horrible color choices and combinations. I can't believe that after looking at all the photos I think I like the new bathroom the best.

By the way, since you can't see the show, this article has some more info on the first two episodes, including some video clips. (They did make a mistake and say Tori and Dean have five kids, not four, but that's probably because Tori kept saying they're a family of seven, which was including Patsy.)

Edited by LuckyBitch

I didn't know that some episodes had aired until I saw that on her website last night.  That link with the pics...eek!  That is the ugliest interior of a house that I have ever seen, especially since those are the after pics?  I didn't miss much.  I will watch the next episode to check it out, but that is some low quality interior design there, and I am quite sure they didn't do most of the work...just bits and pieces.

• Love 1

Well I missed this latest fake reality mess.  Thanks for posting the pictures.  Tori never thinks of resale.  I doubt that they own the cabin, but Tori's "style" should repel any women from wanting to screw Dean in that love nest, if he gets loose up in Canada again.

• Love 2
(edited)

I noticed that in the first episode, Dean made a solemn promise to Tori that she would get her second bathroom.  Because he broke yet another promise to her, I'm seeing another reality show in their future.  Here is the write-up.........."Dean vows to give Tori her bathroom but then breaks the vow.  Tori responds by getting another tattoo about broken toilet vows.  She then takes her woes to her adoring public--'He Took Away My Lava-Tori....The True Story."'  

Tori seems obsessed with poop.

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 6

I can't believe I set up a series recording for this show. Between the Kardashians and Tori & Dean, I feel unclean.

Hell, I almost shed a solitary tear when I went to set it up on my DVR....and discovered I don't get this channel.

I'll have to view it vicariously through the awesome posters here.  

That blue floor is the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

I found it horrific as well.

However, I would cut a bitch for that clawed foot bathtub.  A bubble bath in that beauty, a few candles for ambiance, and a bottle of prosecco, and I would not be seen nor heard from again (that is, until the hot water ran out).  

• Love 3

I noticed that in the first episode, Dean made a solemn promise to Tori that she would get her second bathroom.  Because he broke yet another promise to her, I'm seeing another reality show in their future.  Here is the write-up.........."Dean vows to give Tori her bathroom but then breaks the vow.  Tori responds by getting another tattoo about broken toilet vows.  She then takes her woes to her adoring public--'He Took Away My Lava-Tori....The True Story."'  

Tori seems obsessed with poop.

OMG! This is great! Thanks for the laugh! You're right though. If we think Dean has been aging at a crazy speed, since being with Tori, if she doesn't get her dream toilet, he's going to look like Wilford Brimley on their next un-reality show.

• Love 2

Tori IS obsessed with poop, as is their entire family. I had the pleasure of reading about this obsession in her newest book.  It's nasty

I loved the antique dealer not giving into any of her negotiations.  Poor guy probably had a coronary when he saw what she did to that nearly 100 year old wicker outdoor furniture that he tried so hard to hang onto - painting it bright blue. Why be so determined to buy an antique set if you're going to 'spice' it up with a modern paint job?  What a waste... 

I haven't yet watched episodes 3 and 4 which aired tonight, but here's the info: 

Tori and Dean: Cabin Fever
Episode DTDA-103TH

Tori's Vision for Blue Floors has Dean Seeing Red
Tori and Dean renovate the main living space, kitchen, laundry room and mudroom. Inspired by the view, Tori wants to paint the cottage floor to match the blue lake: a colorful vision that has Dean seeing red. The couple hits the antique store to pick up an old ship's wheel but their separate visions threaten to steer the renovation into the rocks. And, a trip to the laundromat proves life on the lake is difficult and expensive.

Episode DTDA-104TH

Hit the Deck and Take a Cold Shower
Tori and Dean redo the deck and two kids' rooms but hit a serious snag on the outdoor shower. As design visions clash, tempers flare. Tori and the kids repurpose outdoor furniture, plant the seeds for a new family garden and build custom headboards.

From Tori's website:

Tune In: Tori and Dean Cabin Fever
July 11th, 2014 by Tori Spelling

2 brand new episodes of our home renovation show Tori & Dean: Cabin Fever is on TONIGHT on Great American Country at 10pm.

In tonight’s first episode, we start to renovate the main living space, kitchen, laundry room and mudroom. And in the next episode, we re-do the deck and two kid’s rooms. We also planted seeds to start our very own family garden!

Great American Country is available on on Ch. 165 on DISH Network and on Ch. 326 on DIRECTV. If you don’t have one of those 2 providors, just check your local cable listings or click here to search for Great American Country in your area!

Will you be watching?

Love,
T

The final two episodes air next Friday night...and then what reality show will Tori have next?

• Love 1

That blue floor was really ugly. I don't have a problem with the idea of a blue floor, but that was the wrong shade of blue. Now it looks like Superman lives there. Why do Stella & Liam always share a room? They're not babies anymore, how long are they going to share bedroom? When Tori said she was teaching her kids that things can be reused & that you didn't have buy new all the time, all I could think about was "that doesn't apply to designer purses, does it Tori?"

• Love 3

Tori was such a raging, narcissistic bitch last night.    Every single thing has to go her way every single time.  I am no Dean fan, but after watching his life last night, I have some sympathy for the situation he got himself into.  She is a mess!

• Love 2

Every single thing has to go her way every single time.

I agree wholeheartedly--if I had to hear about her "vision" one more time...........and the way she says "babe" is starting to get on my nerves--I don't even know why!

• Love 2

The way both of them say "babe" all the freaking time has always gotten on my nerves. And I find the fact that Dean refers to all the females in his family as "Mama"--daughters and wife alike--to be beyond creepy. Wonder if Emily's Good Hand appreciated being called Mama?

• Love 2
(edited)

Yes!  The "mama" thing is incredibly weird--I've NEVER heard a parent call their daughter "mama."  Makes me cringe everytime--the first time I heard them call Hattie that, I thought I heard wrong!  Thank you all for making me feel "normal," sometimes when I watch these shows I lose all track of what is real--lol!

Wonder if Emily's Good Hand appreciated being called Mama?

Bwahahahaha!

Can't you just see that nanny thinking to herself, "Crazy white bitch......uh uh uh."  

Edited by 4leafclover
  • Love 2

That "mama" thing is definitely weird and creepy! I don't even understand calling your daughters that. I can't even begin to figure that one out. But, it's always driven me crazy when he calls Tori "mama".  I would die if my husband ever called me "mama". It's weird and just about the least sexy thing you could call your wife. Yeah, she might be a mother, and yes, that could be sexy (to a husband), but she is not your mother.

The blue floor was just hideous. @GaT described the shade perfectly, "Superman blue". What's worse is that it was paired with that color on the walls (salmon?) and the horrible crappy old furniture that looks like something a 90 year old grandmother had put out on the curb for garbage. The entire re-do of the living room and dining room was just awful. Mismatched, tacky old crap, color clashes, old junk just thrown together. If this is really how Tori decorates, then she definitely had professionals do some of her homes that I saw on her old reality shows, although I think she claimed to do them herself.

Yuck:

sHhv0uJ.jpg

ldvAcEg.jpg

More here: GAC: Tori and Dean: Cabin Fever Photo Gallery

Nothing about that place says nice cottage/cabin by the lake. Oh, Sarah Richardson, too bad you couldn't have helped Tori out.

The kitchen might have been better, but they carried the blue floor into there. Also, putting that fugly bookcase under the overhang on the island was a dumb move. With four kids, I would think four bar stools (or room for a highchair or two) would have been a lot more useful.

Has no one mentioned Tori's very, very bad acting in her narration bits? Ugh, she's terrible.

I was so bored and disgusted by the first episode that I didn't even bother to watch the second one. I'm saving it for some time when I have insomnia. 

• Love 2

I think school wasn't an issue because this was supposed to just be a summer place. But, yes, I also thought from the beginning that there's no way they bought that cabin. It's just another fake "reality" show.

Btw, I was looking around Tori's website recently and I found this post she did last September when she said that she and the kids were driving all the way back to LA from the cabin, (over 2,500 miles), with Patsy and a friend after spending three months there:

picTORIal: Road Trippin’

So Tori's bragging about renting an SUV and driving all the way home to LA? If I'm not mistaken, on the first episode they gave us the impression they drove up from LA with the kids and Patsy in their own SUV... another lie, then.  

After reading TWOP for years I finally feel compelled enough by Tori Spelling (of all people) to register so that I can ask a burning question - what in the fark is wrong with her? I tried watching this hot mess and I swear she is so twitchy and flighty and just plain bizarre that I couldn't stand it. In fact, she was acting very much like my bipolar mother acts when she is messing with her meds.  using

Drugs much Tori?

• Love 1
(edited)

After reading TWOP for years I finally feel compelled enough by Tori Spelling (of all people) to register so that I can ask a burning question - what in the fark is wrong with her? I tried watching this hot mess and I swear she is so twitchy and flighty and just plain bizarre that I couldn't stand it. In fact, she was acting very much like my bipolar mother acts when she is messing with her meds.  using

Drugs much Tori?

Fellow TWOPer here ;)

Anti depression meds? 

No word on them of late.

Also agree.  I'd punch Mr. Lablover you know where if he called me momma.  He wouldn't even think of that.  That's so....unromantic.  I bet he doesn't call his lovers Momma.  Just sayin

Edited by Lablover27

My mom takes a whole host of pills for everything under the sun, more than just an anti depressant. I am pretty sure Tori is doing the same. Her behavior is just SO BIZARRE.  The pouty lips, the twitching, the unnatural response to everything Dean says, that (not on this show, but unforgettable) GIANT tantrum she threw with stella on the bed, the acquisition of warehouses full of stuff and animals. Yeaup, seen all of that in someone with serious mental illness my whole life.

• Love 1

The whole mama discussion makes me laugh. At them, not with them. I wouldn't find it sexy or endearing in any way & if someone called my children that I'd find it odd & disturbing. I did have a guy ask me once, in the moment, "who's your daddy?" After I quit laughing I asked if he was expecting me to say he was. Once he brought my father into the picture I was out of the mood. 

• Love 4

The final two episodes of this snooze fest air tonight:

Episode DTDA-105TH

Master Bedroom Relationship Reno
Tori and Dean get in the groove renovating their master bedroom and Hattie's nursery. Tori builds an accent wall with repurposed wood from the deck and Dean gets romantic with a sunset canoe date-night on the lake.

Episode DTDA-106TH

The Big Finale: Finn's First Birthday and the Final Reveal

Tori and Dean complete the final renovations including the boathouse and a repurposed outdoor grill. Dean gives a dead tree new life as a bar, and Tori gives the boathouse new life with artificial turf. And in the middle of it all, the family prepares for Finn's first birthday party and the big cottage reveal. Sheldon the goat becomes a real party pooper while delivering invitations, and Finn chooses a winner in the traditional family bake-off.

Why do Hattie & Finn get their own rooms, & Liam & Stella have to share? Shouldn't it be the other way around, the older kids get their own rooms? 

I loved how they were showing their house off to the guests, & they couldn't even fake any enthusiasm for the cameras, just the real estate guy dead panning "this is beautiful"

• Love 1
(edited)

I finally finished watching this show. First, one of last week's episodes, the one where they did the deck and two kids' rooms. One thing I didn't understand was why they made the deck lower for the safety of the kids, BUT then at the bottom step, they laid down some huge rock slabs. Yeah, because it's safer to have one or two fewer steps and have a rock slab at the bottom? Huh? I'd rather my kid fall on a wooden step, or actually the lawn, than on a humongous rock slab. It just made no sense to me.

Also, the way Tori decorated Liam and Stella's room was so hideous that I would get a headache after being in there for more than five minutes. It's just too much! The horrible paint on the walls is bad enough, but then she painted the floor and the ceiling too (all different colors). It makes me feel like puking. She throws so many different tacky themes and loud colors together, I just can't take it - See the four photos starting HERE.

Finn's baby room was okay with the bear theme, but the orange paint on the wall was too much for me - Two photos starting HERE.

Moving on to the the final two episodes that aired on Friday night, Hattie's room was not as loud in color as Liam and Stella's room, but it was still a tacky, overdone mess - Two photos HERE.

The master bedroom wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Still, I'm not into finding garbage and "re-purposing" it, which is the theme of this entire DIY crafty little house. No thanks.

The final episode with the outdoor grill and boathouse deck was okay. I kept wondering if that old boat house roof deck could hold all that furniture and five to ten people on top. Plus, I was a little concerned when I saw that they put a fire pit in front of the chairs and bench at the front of the boathouse roof deck facing the lake. It was close to the railing and I saw the wind blowing the flames. All I could think was that the flames could hit the wood railing and then a huge fire could spread quickly and take that entire boathouse down in a flash. Not a good idea, Tori.

They also did a lot of landscaping in the final episode. Even though they claimed their neighbor was a landscaper, they (or the show) spent a good amount of money on all of the landscaping between the huge dead tree taken down in the back by the lake, and then in the front the walkway, driveway, trees, and plants. Plus, they put new vinyl siding on the front (which doesn't exactly scream "lake cabin/cottage", but whatever). Add the large deck in the back that they did in an earlier episode and the new balcony off the bedroom, and they definitely put some money into this.

Hmm, I thought Tori said early last year that they were broke, yet they supposedly purchased this house last summer and then spent all this money on it. Sure. I'd love it if someone did some sleuthing and found out who really owns that house. As we've all said, I'd be very surprised if Tori and Dean ever bought it at all.

If this really is their summer get-a-way, lets see if Tori and family go up there for a summer vacation now that she's done filming that new show with Jenny Garth. Or, has it already been sold, since it was never anything but a set for a TV show? 

Edited by LuckyBitch

Ha, look what I found

The troubled pair’s four kids, Liam, 7, Stella, 6, Hattie, 2, and Finn, 1, are also prominently featured in the show, and will likely need a lot of therapy one day.

Probably the best/worst part of this, though?

According to both the actual homeowner and realtor featured on the premiere, they didn't actually buy the cottage and only entered into a rental agreement.

“I still own the house,” the Toronto resident registered to the home says. “I’m retired now, so I gave it to my sons. And yes, they filmed a reality TV show there.”

Todd Jeffries, the real estate agent featured, says he doesn’t even normally trade in that area and was approached by producers to do the show.

“I wasn’t involved in the rental side of it and I don’t really know what the arrangement was,” Jeffries said, making you wonder if anything these two do is real.

As we suspected, this whole show was just some acting gig for Tori and Dean last summer. Like I said once before, I bet they all stayed in a nice hotel and showed up at the house (the set) just to tape their scenes. What a joke!

• Love 2