Type keyword(s) to search

Who will replace Jim Brass?

This is about all things Jim Brass. Who will replace him? Why did he leave? Why do we love him so? Anything else you want to say also about him.

For me his no nonsense way he handled his job was the best. He didn't put up with the glamor and the wierd things that seem to go on in Vegas. Yes his home life was a shambles but he was so dedicated to his job.

I heard that he wanted to cut back on his work schedule. We had seen him miss some episodes over the last couple years. But then it seems the show fired him after this season.

His replacement. First pick that comes to mind is Detective Kevin Crawford(Alimi Ballard who played David Sinclair on "Numb3rs". And a short story arc on "NCIS"). He was on when Brass was off. 

Will they bring back Detective Lou Vartann(Alex Carter), who seemed to leave soon after Catherine Willows left? I liked Lou.

One I'd like to see but probably can't happen is Dectective Don Flack(Eddie Cahill) from "CSI:NY." But Cahill is on "Under the Dome". Maybe he wouldn't work as well with Nick,Sara and Russell as he did with Mac,Sheldon and Danny. But his fellow Dectective Jaimie Lavato(Natalie Martinez) also is on "Under The Dome". Or maybe Detective Frank Tripp(Rex Linn) could transfer from Miami?

I somehow managed to forget that Brass was leaving or whatever ... so many show plots to follow - so few brain cells left to follow them.  I don't like the idea of replacing him, but sometimes it works.  I'll miss the myth of the hard broiled cop...

• Love 1
(edited)

No one should "replace" Brass because Brass is irreplaceable. If I were still going to watch, I'd rather see a rotation of cop du jours, which I suspect they will do.  This current crop of writers doesn't know how to write detectives like the old writers did (see Brass' reduced interaction with the CSIs as evidence).  Actor who plays Crawford seems to be one of McGill's favorites so I expect he'll be recurring but I doubt he'll get a spot in the credits as a series regular.  The whole point of not renewing Paul's contract was cutting costs so why add more?  And really, do you want to see Vartann back?  They'd probably just use him as a plot device like they did Vega and kill him off during sweeps.

Btw, not renewing a contract is not the same as being fired. Fired implies Paul did something wrong and he did nothing wrong.  They just didn't renew his contract.  That said, I hated the way Paul was told, the lame-ass reason they gave for not renewing his contract, but mostly I hated the way it ended for Brass. At least give him a proper send-off at some point in S15 and not just some passing "Where's Brass?  Oh didn't you hear, he retired." bullshit.

Edited by bunchofgrapes
  • Love 2
The whole point of not renewing Paul's contract was cutting costs so why add more?  And really, do you want to see Vartann back?

I know actors' contracts get more expensive every season beyond 5, but I can't imagine his would be so much more than some of the other actors.

• Love 1

No one should "replace" Brass because Brass is irreplaceable. If I were still going to watch, I'd rather see a rotation of cop du jours, which I suspect they will do.  This current crop of writers doesn't know how to write detectives like the old writers did (see Brass' reduced interaction with the CSIs as evidence).  Actor who plays Crawford seems to be one of McGill's favorites so I expect he'll be recurring but I doubt he'll get a spot in the credits as a series regular.  The whole point of not renewing Paul's contract was cutting costs so why add more?  And really, do you want to see Vartann back?  They'd probably just use him as a plot device like they did Vega and kill him off during sweeps.

Btw, not renewing a contract is not the same as being fired. Fired implies Paul did something wrong and he did nothing wrong.  They just didn't renew his contract.  That said, I hated the way Paul was told, the lame-ass reason they gave for not renewing his contract, but mostly I hated the way it ended for Brass. At least give him a proper send-off at some point in S15 and not just some passing "Where's Brass?  Oh didn't you hear, he retired." bullshit.

Definitely. He was one of the good ones.

Agreed. Don't screw the character over, that would be disrespectful.

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't like Vartann as much as I did Brass. But he had a few years there so why not bring him back?

Also I would think if CSI lasts only a couple more years(well we have no idea) why not keep Brass on? Even if you reduce him to half episodes? Sometimes now we only see Sara or Nick or Greg on a 1 or 2 scene and Morgan, Fin and Russel handle the COTW. Other weeks it is reversed. It's not great, but it is better then gone totally. If you went between Brass, Vartann and Crawford you could have all on a lot less. Or have Crawford on almost weekly and the other 2 on when they can??Or some weeks we hear" Brass and Crawford just brought in the suspect" Then you have Nick sit in with Crawford on the interogation and later when threy discuss it they could say," Brass thinks so too", or something! So it was like Jim was watching the interogation through the 2 way mirror or on closed cuircut tv.

Moving it to 10pm Sundays for next season would make you think they are trying to kill it off. Same as they have tried with The Mentalist. I know a network you wouldn't think would try to kill off one of it's shows, but it is all a money game. Not popularity like the old days.

I also remember CBS having its "Cancel the Hick(Andy Griffith, Gomer Pyle,Green Acres, Beaverly Hillbillies)  shows and bring in more urban shows" in the 70's, and again in the 90's "drop the old actors(Nash Bridges) and bring in the youth shows. So who knows. But they are all solid performers, so keep them!

Edited by webruce
  • Love 1
(edited)

It seems the network is trying to kill CSI (the time change) and save it too, bringing in Mark Valley.  But he couldn't save Harry's Law and I think he'll just be here for the final dwindling days of the show. 

From the article:

We’re told “while their relationship may be a bit prickly, the attraction between them is undeniable.”

Eww.  Just eww.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1

Well he didn't save "Body Of Proof 2.0" either. Well he and Finn for  a 40ish couple isn't bad. But I guess that stops the people who think her nad Russell will hook up.