Type keyword(s) to search

HOTD Anticipation: Fire Is Coming

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I am looking forward to this, I haven’t read the book yet (reserved it at the library). GRRM is excellent at world building so I’m sure it is going to be great. 

I read the book and the short story and I can tell you - it's a helluva trip! Shocking and enthralling in equal measure. Consider me hyped.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Do you guys think I should read the book before I start the series?

It's only a novella - not even a book!

It honestly just depends on whether you like knowing all the twists and turns beforehand. I read the novella long before I knew they were going to make a TV show out of it, so I never had to decide. I tend to eschew spoilers, so had I known, I would probably have watched the TV show spoiler-free. (There are a lot of fantastic twists, for the record.) But YMMV.

Also, there is a stylistic issue in that the novella is written in the form of a history book, which some people don't mind and others do. (That's why the entire Dance of the Dragons is able to told in a novella.)

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Welcome, yes! What snacks and libations bringeth you?

image.thumb.png.e34fa7ad1cd96d856263205889c618d1.png

No Starbucks cup though.  heh

On 10/7/2021 at 5:36 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I am looking forward to this, I haven’t read the book yet (reserved it at the library). GRRM is excellent at world building so I’m sure it is going to be great. 

I am only watching this show because of Matt Smith and because I read the story first.  For me it's a must to know the basic plot and the ending.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, kassandra8286 said:

All I know is that when we were in Mexico on vacation none of my streaming subscriptions worked except HBO. And yeah, I'm sure it's different in every country.

I think most don't work in any country except the one you reside in. None of mine worked when I was in the UK for a couple of weeks, Netflix, Amazon P, Hulu, Disney, HBO, not a one. The only thing that did work was my Sirius app on my phone so my wife got to listen to Howard Stern for hours on end, lucky her.

• Love 1

I am so ready for this.

OrdinaryFavorableCusimanse-size_restrict

I haven't read the book, so may save for after S1 as I did with GoT (I didn't start reading the ASOIAF series until after I binged S1). Just to have something to tide me over til the next season.

And I'm ridiculously happy to have dragons again as they were some of my favorite GoT characters and I cried more over the deaths of Viserion and Rhaegal than I did over any human character, except Hodor and Shireen. 

I also adore Matt Smith (from S1 and S2 of The Crown), so I can't wait to see him in this role.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, CountryGirl said:

I also adore Matt Smith (from S1 and S2 of The Crown), so I can't wait to see him in this role.

The Crown schmown... if you liked him in that, then, gosh, you really should watch him in Doctor-freaking-Who. He's in my top 3 fav ever Doctors and is the role that made him a household name here. (Also, he happens to hail from the area I grew up, heh #notbiased)

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, khyber said:

I never watched GOT, does anyone have a feel for whether or not you can enjoy this show without that background.?

Reading the reviews that range from it's fantastic to nope I'm guessing that yes you could enjoy it without the GOT background.

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, khyber said:

I never watched GOT, does anyone have a feel for whether or not you can enjoy this show without that background.?

You won't need to have watched GoT. It's a show set generations before GoT's time, so it's not like it's a prequel featuring some (or even any) of the characters from GoT.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
12 hours ago, khyber said:

The story/plot will be watchable without any background knowledge at all. As for world lore and such, no idea really, however, I would imagine that the show will not want to miss out on potential new viewers, so will cater to them also.

• Useful 2