Type keyword(s) to search

S45.E05: Kristen Stewart/Coldplay

• Start Topic

20 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Both Duolingo and Farrow and Ball replied to the free publicity they got on this show, although the latter's reply amused me a little more. 

Was the publicity that Duolingo and Farrow and Ball got really free? Ever since they announced a few years ago that they'd be integrating more product placement into sketches to cut down on commercials, I assume all real brands used are paying for the privilege.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't know Farrow and Ball was a real paint brand.

Makes me think what if Mia Farrow and Lucille Ball had started a paint company.

Heh. I can imagine Lucy saying "co-LOUR". 🤣

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Was the publicity that Duolingo and Farrow and Ball got really free? Ever since they announced a few years ago that they'd be integrating more product placement into sketches to cut down on commercials, I assume all real brands used are paying for the privilege.

Yes. 

https://qz.com/quartzy/1742604/farrow-ball-sketch-snls-policy-on-sponsored-content/

The 73-year old company based in Dorset, England confirmed that it didn’t pay for the spot. Its CEO Anthony Davey told Quartz,“It was a fantastic surprise to see the Farrow & Ball sketch on Saturday Night Live this weekend.”

Duolingo also wasn't aware.

https://triblive.com/local/pittsburgh-allegheny/pittsburgh-based-duolingo-a-fan-of-snls-talk-to-kids-skit/

I've seen some say that SNL just likes to use real names in more recent years (after the Safelite mess I imagine they are now only doing that in sketches which are neutral or positive about the product). I think the product placement material may be more along the lines of sketches like this (although I have no idea):

• Useful 1

I was surprised by how much I liked the episode given how much I don't like Kristen Stewart. Her whole "I don't really care about anything, including comprehensible diction" act leaves me cold. (This is your turn to reply, "OK Boomer.") But the sketches were good, and even she was good in some of them. Thought she did fine in the Farrow & Ball sketch, and thought she did better than fine as the old lady (i.e., a lady my age) in the constellation sketch.

• Love 3
On 11/3/2019 at 6:16 AM, Pete Martell said:

Stargazing: I wanted to enjoy this more than I did, because Beck gets so few leading sketches, but this just felt like a newer and more unfocused version of "luvahs" with Will Ferrell and Rachel Dratch. I always hated those so I didn't need a revival. I wish they'd cut this.

I actually liked the Luvah skits and thought that Will and Rachel hit that right mix of insufferability of their characters.  This one did seem like that, but a low-rent version not nearly as well-acted.

On 11/3/2019 at 3:52 PM, peeayebee said:

The best part of WU was the bit about Rudy Guiliani and his Apple phone. Love the line about its facial recognition software not working because it didn't recognize the man he's become. 

That line was genius.

• Love 3