Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
scarynikki12

Green Arrow & The Canaries

I would think the pandemic would be favorable to a pick up since they already have a fanbase and a pilot aired. What am I missing?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chaser said:

I would think the pandemic would be favorable to a pick up since they already have a fanbase and a pilot aired. What am I missing?

Everything in Hollywood comes down to $. I'm guessing whatever restrictions put in place for Vancouver filming would have raised production costs and, the show became more expensive then it was worth. 

On 1/8/2021 at 5:56 PM, apinknightmare said:

Godspeed William, I hope someone rescues you. 

If it's true they knew back in March (April?) that the show was dead, it sounds like this was never a strong contender to go to series. I highly doubt the pandemic was the deciding factor when CW went ahead with several other new shows anyway despite the pandemic.

It's still weird that it so long to get the news officially (although you could have guessed months ago when people moved on to other projects). I have a theory that DC has another Black Canary project in development, and maybe that's why no one could talk.

Edited by Trini
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Everything in Hollywood comes down to $. I'm guessing whatever restrictions put in place for Vancouver filming would have raised production costs and, the show became more expensive then it was worth. 

All the current shows that film in Vancouver are filming, as well as two new shows, so I doubt that was the reason.  Plus, it's safer than LA at the moment.

• Like 1

Or maybe they didn't want anyone to talk until the new season of DC shows started up again -- but that's still dumb....

JDJ also posted 10 cast pics and this message on Instagram:

josephdjones From my first ever fitting in the Arrowverse to our last days on set words can’t express how much #Arrow has meant to me and will continue to mean to me for years to come. Even though we won’t be seeing #greenarrowandthecanaries I couldn’t be prouder of the work we did and the impact that #fta had on the universe Thank you 🙏🏾@cw_arrow @schwartzapproved @james2bambamford @marcguggenheim @gberlanti @davidrapaport & @arrowwriters for letting me be a part of this story! And thank you @stephenamell @davidpaulramsey @emilybett @katiecassidy @rickgonzalez @echokells @julianaharkavy @kat.mcnamara @coltonlhaynes @benlewishere @dresixtos for letting me be a part of your Arrow family! 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ1U3B0pWAD/ 

Edited by tv echo

KM also posted 10 cast pics and this message on Instagram:

kat.mcnamara “Thank you for letting me be a part of your story...even for a little while...” ✵💚🏹From Blackstar to Star City, thank you for joining Mia on her journey. What seemed a daunting hood to fill soon felt like family, and I have nothing but love, gratitude, and fond memories for everyone who was a part of bringing her to life. I hope that, like Oliver, Mia is merely the beginning of a new generation of heroes and stories to come. Raising a glass of whisky to Mia, cheers to the future! 🥃

Thank you  @thecw @cw_arrow @gberlanti @marcguggenheim @schwartzapproved @james2bambamford @jillblankenship3 #oscarbalderrama @davidrapaport @warnerbrostv and @arrowwriters for this memorable role.

greenarrow #miasmoak #olicitybaby #arrow #greenarrowandthecanaries #FTA

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ1FjZSBTfD/ 

Edited by tv echo

I kind of wonder if the super delayed announcement was because they were still tossing around the idea of reworking it or hanging on to the show as a plan d. 

I want them to add a GATC chapter in the tell all. Its just weird to how confident Ken was that it was a done deal, the pilot doing good by Arrowverse standards and then nothing for months while everything else is moving forward. Even the 100 prequel isn’t dead and I thought it got a terrible response to its series finale. Was the passive aggressive Twitter likes bleeding into the set? I could also be thinking it’s more dramatic than it is cause I’m bored. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaser said:

I kind of wonder if the super delayed announcement was because they were still tossing around the idea of reworking it or hanging on to the show as a plan d. 

It's weird because they told the cast in March/April (that's when I think of COVID starting).

I wonder if the wait just had more to do with internal business related stuff? COVID, launching HBO Max, WB/DC investigation, WB/ATT (post) Merger plans (layoffs, restructuring, etc)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chaser said:

I want them to add a GATC chapter in the tell all. Its just weird to how confident Ken was that it was a done deal, the pilot doing good by Arrowverse standards and then nothing for months while everything else is moving forward. Even the 100 prequel isn’t dead and I thought it got a terrible response to its series finale. Was the passive aggressive Twitter likes bleeding into the set? I could also be thinking it’s more dramatic than it is cause I’m bored. 

Who's Ken?

I know they reported that The 100 spinoff is still alive - but I don't believe that. Wasn't there a quote from the network president in May about Canaries? Even though, according to Guggs, it been dead since March.

I think MG meant more towards the height of COVID. Once shows had to shut down and werent coming back for 7 months. Though either way it doesnt make sense that COVID would be the reason when you're starting brand new shows and still ordering shows. 

Oh well, that's just more step out of the Arrowverse door for me.

Matt's Inside Line:

Is there any chance that HBO Max (or anyone, as unlikely as it seems) might pick up Green Arrow and the Canaries? –Amit

Nope. The HBO Max option was already thoroughly explored, I hear, especially as leadership shifted over there — and that is why the final “cancellation” decision took as long as it did. No dice.

You recently passed on Green Arrow and the Canaries. Why? 

Timing. We couldn't quite figure out a model similar to Stargirl and couldn't quite get there. We were hoping to have it start at HBO Max and take a second run on The CW, but we couldn't figure out how to do it and couldn't make it all work.  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/how-the-cw-is-plotting-a-return-to-business-as-usual-during-a-pandemic?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR Live Feed Alerts&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_livefeed

So basically "We wanted HBO Max to foot the start up costs, and then we'd have taken it back from them for cheaper"

• Like 3