Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
scarynikki12

Green Arrow & The Canaries

18 hours ago, Trini said:

I can't say anything about its artistic merits, but The 100 backdoor pilot aired yesterday, and its ratings numbers are worse than the Canaries backdoor pilot. However, Arrow always had higher rating than The 100 anyway. Of course, I have no idea how much that factors into CW's decisions.

Also worth considering (or not): Green Arrow backdoor pilot aired in late January (aka pre-pandemic times) vs yesterday (pandemic, summer). Not sure if that helps or hurts either case?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

Are we ever going to get an official no? Next week is the the last week of July...

Well if they are still trying to work something out we are not going to hear any official no.

Edited by Proteus

1 hour ago, Proteus said:

Well if they are still trying to work something out we are not going to hear any official no.

It's just crazy for me that it would take this long to work out something with Warner Bros. 

• Like 1

Well I remember once reports that a network tried to order something like 8 eps of a new show and the studio balked and said "forget it not worth our time or effort" and they went back to the drawing board. I can't remember which show it was or if it got picked up for more eps in the end. 

The fact that both spin off back door pilots have aired and nothing new has officially been said does lead me to believe they're still trying to work something out either scheduling, episode count, contracts, revamping the idea etc. There's no reason for MG not to tweet that unfortunately it isn't going ahead otherwise (though now I've said that it will probably happen soon!) I've seen rumours of them maybe going to a CW/WB streaming service but nothing concrete obviously. 

Until we hear anything though I've taken to assuming both are mostly dead though, it's easier.

Nothing new - this July 20th panel included Arrow's Katherine McNamara...

BE Conference | Confidence & Empowerment: Owning Your Inner Superhero
TheWrap    Streamed live on July 20, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc773R_ot1k

-- Mod JM asked KM about the status of the Arrow spinoff, Green Arrow & The Canaries, and also asked: "Where do you see The CW going this year... with the superhero universe that has built around Arrow? This will be the first season where it doesn't have Arrow, but it still has the Arrowverse, which it is strongly continuing."
KM:
"Well, what's so great about the legacy of the Arrowverse is that, yes, it started with the Green Arrow and built from there, but now there's such a huge, diverse cast of - of heroes, it's our league of heroes, as it were, that all work together and all have become a family, both on and off screen. Uh, what's great about, um - you know, we'll see what happens with Green Arrow & The Canaries. But even the fact that we got to shoot our pilot as the penultimate episode of Arrow and it was such a kickass, female-driven, you know, cooperative effort between all of us, with a female director, and it was - it was really fantastic. I mean, we had such a fun time shooting it and people seemed to love it on-air, so that will live on in - in the Arrowverse, regardless. ... I got to be part of the crossover this year and getting to see so many different folks that are such amazing heroes in their own right. We had the best time collaborating and working together. And, you know, like Maisie was saying, you don't have to pit women against each other, and men and women don't always have to be romantic. There's so many different kinds of relationships to be explored. It - it just leaves all of the opportunities open for that legacy to continue."

Edited by tv echo

On 7/20/2020 at 10:20 PM, Primal Slayer said:

It's just crazy for me that it would take this long to work out something with Warner Bros. 

The pandemic must have something to do with the delay. Because this week would normally be Comic-Con, right? In a normal year, we would definitely know one way or another by now. But I agree; it's still seems to be taking way too long, for any answer.

It’s still Comic Con this week but it’s all online so a different atmosphere. 

My current guess is that a pickup announcement may coincide with DC Fandome in August. 

20 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

My current guess is that a pickup announcement may coincide with DC Fandome in August. 

I doubt it. There's no reason for them to wait until then if it's a 'yes'. They need to announce before so people can talk about it at Fandome.

It's all about the timing. They don't have to announce it now (and I would advise against it since GAC isn't a part of virtual Comic Con and would get lost among the other news that will come out) but can announce a couple of days before Fandome if they intend to include it. On the other hand, if they aren't going ahead with the show it's also better to wait until these two events have concluded and let the focus be on what they're actually working on. 

• Like 1

FYI...

VARIETY "STRICTLY BUSINESS" PODCAST: CW Chief Mark Pedowitz on TV’s Year of Disruption
Variety   Jul. 22, 2020
https://strictlybusiness.libsyn.com/cw-chief-mark-pedowitz-on-tvs-year-of-disruption

-- Mark Pedowitz: "We select shows for Seed based on the ability we believe that our viewers watch our library content. We select shows for CW based on what we believe will work on both the linear and the digital, and hope that we're right. And we also select shows based on what our parent companies, I think, they perceive their needs to be. Because as a JV [joint venture], what makes it really work is that we help kick-start the ecosystem for them in terms of sales and their product."

-- MP: "We elected for January to go with stability, because I think the audience wants stability at this point. So that's why we didn't make a whole lot of change to our schedule."

Edited by tv echo

FYI - wonder if KC will have any news (or hints) about the spinoff?...

ETA: Changes to Arrow cast members participating in this panel:

Edited by tv echo
  • Laugh 1

Here are my rough notes from watching live "Wizard World Virtual Experiences Presents: From the Cast of Arrow" panel on July 31 (today)...
https://www.twitch.tv/wizardworldvirtual
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6aw4sXOUwY

Panelists: Katie Cassidy, Juliana Harkavy, Ben Lewis, Katrina Law, Kelly Hu

-- Katie Cassidy said that she and Kelly Hu were in acting class together a long time ago.

-- Ben Lewis and Juliana Harkavy both commented that Katherine McNamara had watched every Arrow episode in preparation for her role, which made them feel unprepared in comparison.

-- KC answered a mod question about preparing to play Laurel Lance. She didn't want to jump ahead because she only wanted to know what her character knew at the time. KC: "They didn't always stick to the comic book story in our show, but that's just television."

-- JH answered a mod question about joining the show as Black Canary after KC had just played Black Canary. JH said that she just treated her character as someone completely different, which worked for her. JH: "I fangirl over Katie still."

-- Katrina Law made a comment about the show having many strong female characters and how well the female cast members got along off set, regardless of one character taking over another character's role. KC said they were all a team and "you take one for the team."

-- KL joked that she wasn't hired until after KH left. KH responded that KL is like 15 years younger than her. KL said that KH still looks like she's about 12 years old. KL: "You're Asian! You don't crack." (KL is 34, while KH is 52, believe it or not.)

-- In response to mod question about the GA and the Canaries spinoff, KC: "We don't know." JH: "I think everything is on hold right now."

-- KC said that she's writing a pilot right now.

(My video cut out for a few minutes at this point.)

-- BL joked that he wasn't in the crossover or in the series finale.

-- KC said that she always loved that Arrow brought families together and that it had a "family story" in addition to Oliver's story.

-- BL said that he was "intimidated" when he first got cast because the show was in a genre that he didn't see himself fitting in. However, he liked that he was able to bring so much of himself into the character of William. He also said that there are many different ways of "being heroic" and that Felicity was a good role model for him to follow.

-- Mod commented that KC got to see "the evolution of Felicity" from the beginning, because Felicity started as a one-off character and ended up being a "mainstay" of the show. KC said that EBR brought a "refreshing" lightness to the show that it needed and that EBR "made Stephen smile" when you never saw him smile. KC said that it was awesome to see a "young girl" evolve into "the female lead" of the show.

-- KC said that it was more fun to play E2 Laurel than E1 Laurel.

-- The panelists were asked who they would've wanted to add to Arrow. Responses included: Batman, Alfred, Joker (female version).

-- In response to mod question, KL said that she would've wanted to have KC's character arc on the show and play two different people. KC responded that the writers wrote "very well" for her and that she was "never bored." JH said that she would've liked to have played Diggle, with that Green Lantern hint at the end.

-- BL said that he's also doing a lot of writing during the pandemic. He also said that he's written two movies (in different stages of development right now). He's also doing a lot of tie-dying, like the shirt he's wearing.

-- KH talked about the tee shirts that she's making under the "33 Edge" brand name. KC commented that she's 33 years old. KH joked that she's old enough to be KC's mother.

-- Panel ended with messages to the fans. KH gave a huge "thank you" to the fans. JH thanked the fans for being "loyal" and "loving." KC thanked the fans for being "loyal" and told them to "please, please wear masks." BL asked fans "to keep taking care of yourselves." KL put on her mask: "You gotta wear a mask, you might as well look cute." KC and JH then also put on their masks.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

Here's my more accurate transcription of the spinoff-related comments during the July 31st "Wizard World Virtual Experiences Presents: From the Cast of Arrow" panel (with KC, JH, BL, KL and KH, and moderator Seth Everett)...

Fandom Spotlite video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWN83q118qU

Wizard World video (also includes 10-minute waiting time, GoCollect promo, and mod intro):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6aw4sXOUwY

-- Mod SE: "And then there's the question that we've been asked, I think, three thousand times, 'What can any of you tell us about the spinoff?'" 
KC:
"What can you tell us about the spinoff?"
Mod SE: "All I know is, I did a podcast with Katherine McNamara and she said, ask you guys."
KC: "We don't - we don't know."
JH: "I think everything is just on hold right now. Like, we're just - we're waiting and we'll see how things evolve and change and - yeah."

-- Mod SE: "Question for Ben, 'Were you sad when you learned that Kat was going to be in the crossover and get to see Oliver's death and William wasn't?"
BL:
"Uh, yeah, I guess I was. I guess I was because it just meant that I was sort of - like, my time on the show was - I was done sooner, although, in theory. But then the scene, uh, towards the end of the backdoor pilot where, uh, shhh, I am kidnapped for like the 50th time and, um, Kat is, uh, knocked out, the dart, um, that actually was - we shot after the finale had been shot, because they didn't yet have the monument of Stephen built. So we had to like - that was maybe the second to last scene of the entire series that was filmed. So I ended up sort of sticking around to the end, um, anyway. But, yeah, I guess so. I mean, the way that sort of, um - I was with - I was okay with it because of the way that, um, it worked out with the cliffhanger of the crossover. I was like, with this cliffhanger, I'm like, if this spinoff happens, there's no way they can't bring me back. So I was happy with that. ... Wait a second, I just realized you were talking about the crossover and not the finale, which I was also not in... I'm so sorry, I was speaking about the finale that I wasn't in, not the crossover which I was also not in."

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Posted yesterday (Aug. 3)...

--  TD: "What excites you for the future? What do you want to do - like, one of the first things you want to do? Will you do anything more with The CW?"
KM:
"[Muted words] more with The CW. I had a great time working with them, you know, and whether or not Green Arrow & The Canaries goes forward, I - I'm not done with Mia Smoak... If they [unintelligible word] her back, she can go play in the crossovers, if there's another Crisis, I'm there. Um, but I think the thing I'm most excited for is traveling. Once the world opens up again, I have friends, you know, in different parts of the world that I haven't seen. My best friend lives in London and I haven't seen him in eight months. So it's one of those things that I - I want an adventure and I want to explore and I want to eat different foods and see different places and climb another mountain and take pictures and do all of that. It's - it's a - such a learning experience and such a - it's soul food for me, um, and I miss it. So that'll be the first thing I do."

Edited by tv echo

It sounds like there's more than a "no" there, otherwise why would TPTB be refusing to let him give a straight answer? Just say it's unfortunately not happening, we still want to tie it up someone, we love working with them all..." Done. No one would be surprised and they still have so many Arrowverse shows no one's going to stop watching over this not going forward and you can blame COVID. 

I mean I don't know what the hold up would be on announcing a short run in 2021 or 22 either. There were rumours that it and Earthborn were going to streaming which might make the hold up make sense. Or else they're retooling it somehow or some of the characters are going to different shows but even then why is it taking so long?

• Like 1

I doubt very much that DC/WB would allow two different series starring Black Canary(-ies)...

Birds of Prey's Jurnee Smollett Wants to Return as Black Canary for a DC TV Show
BY SAMUEL GELMAN   AUGUST 16, 2020
https://www.cbr.com/birds-of-prey-jurnee-smollett-return-black-canary-dc-tv-show/ 

Birds of Prey's Jurnee Smollett said she would love to return as Black Canary for a TV series centered on the character.

"It's no secret how much I love Black Canary," she told Variety while promoting her upcoming HBO series Lovecraft Country. "It's a dream, character and was a dream to play her. If [the] dynamics fell in the right way, I would absolutely do it in a heartbeat." Smollett also said that she would want to work with Lovecraft Country creator Misha Green on the project, saying, "I follow Misha wherever she leads me."

"I mean, you can't help but imagine it a little bit… like, 'What would I do with a Black Canary show?'" Green said. "It'd be exciting, I know that."

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

KM said that she's started auditioning again (even though she's still in self-quarantine) - no mention of the spinoff...

NB: "What is the state of affairs in Hollywood? ... What is going on? What does it look like? What does the future look like?"
KM: "It was ground to a halt for a good long while and I think, you know, I was working on a lot of developing of different projects and things that have kind of been just treading water, any way we can creatively... But actually, people have found ways to start to do things. I've started to audition for things more now and, you know, some real movement's been happening. But I did actually shoot a movie during quarantine without ever leaving my house." (Some talk about her Untitled Horror Movie project.)

Sassenach Scotch with Kat McNamara
Shaken & Stirred  (Nigel Barker and Tom Astor)    August 20, 2020
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/shaken-stirred/id1455145047?i=1000488680104
https://anchor.fm/shaken-and-stirred/episodes/Sassenach-Scotch-with-Kat-McNamara-eid2qa

Kat McNamara, star of Shadowhunters & Arrow, joins Nigel and Tom for some libations to talk about her acting during quarantine, social media fans and Bob, The Quarantine Boyfriend.

Edited by tv echo

EXCLUSIVE: Composers Nathan Blume & Blake Neely talk superhero music in The Arrowverse
Movers & Shakers Unlimited    August 22, 2020
https://www.facebook.com/MoveNShakeUnltd/videos/315413503107608/

-- Interviewer Brandon Troy asked whether ending Arrow was easier knowing that there was carryover with some characters moving on elsewhere to other shows and still having a "throughline" to other shows within the same universe.
Blake Neely:
"Oh, yeah. In fact, there was a - and I don't think it's completely gone yet - but there was going to be a spinoff of - of - with - with some of the women of Arrow. Uh, there's going to be Green Arrow and the - what was it? Green Arrow and the what?"
Nathan Blume: "Canaries."
BN: "Oh - and the Canaries. And that might still happen. But, as Nathan said, the DC canon is so deep that, you know, they'll just grab another character and say, what about this one? And Greg's amazing at - uh, I mean, he knows comic books like no one I know. And, uh, he can say - you know, he came up with Green Arrow. I've loved Batman, Spider-Man - not Spider-Man, I'm a DC guy. I've loved Batman and Superman and all those guys. And he pulls out, to start us off, Green Arrow, which is sort of a - I mean, he was a known character, but not the most popular - and made it into, everybody knows that character now. So he'll continue to do that, and dig deep into the repertoire."
NB: "Yeah. And you never know who's going to show up on what show. And, of course, the crossovers are always fair game for anything, too."

Edited by tv echo

FYI (this is a movie, not a tv series)...

Exclusive: ‘Urban Legend’ Reboot Eyes Rising Stars Sydney Chandler, Katherine McNamara
BY JEFF SNEIDER      AUGUST 24, 2020
https://collider.com/urban-legend-reboot-cast-sydney-chandler-katherine-mcnamara/ 

Rising stars Sydney Chandler and Katherine McNamara are in talks to star in the Urban Legend reboot that’s heating up at Screen Gems, Collider has exclusively learned.

Colin Minihan (What Keeps You Alive) is writing and directing the horror-thriller, which Mike Medavoy and Benjamin Anderson will produce for Phoenix Pictures. Screen Gems executives Eric Paquette and Michael Bitar will oversee the project for the studio.
Best known for her roles on the CW’s Arrow and the Mortal Instruments TV series Shadowhunters, McNamara will soon be seen in Josh Boone‘s star-studded adaptation of Stephen King‘s epic novel The Stand, as well as Charlie Day‘s directorial debut El Tonto. Repped by CAA and Atlas Artists, McNamara has also wrapped an untitled horror movie from director Nick Simon and co-writer Luke Baines, and you can click here to read more about that indie project.

Edited by tv echo

Also FYI...

Berlanti Productions is developing a live-action show about adult versions of the "Powerpuff Girls" for The CW:
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/powerpuff-girls-live-action-series-cw-1234746828/ 

In the updated version of the series, the titular superheroes are now disillusioned twentysomethings who resent having lost their childhood to crime fighting. Will they agree to reunite now that the world needs them more than ever?

So is The CW going to want two new shows each starring a trio of female superheroes? 

Edited by tv echo

From today's GalaxyCon's Arrow panel (with KC, BR, KL, RG, JS and KH)...

Edited by tv echo

Nothing new (from Aug. 30th)...

My #GalaxyCon chat with Katie Cassidy
Ayan Das    Sep 11, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKM6szP8ckA

-- Fan: "Hopefully, we'll see more of you in the Arrowverse in the future, like, let's say, if the spinoff gets picked up and if we seen any of the other shows."
KC:
"Yeah, hopefully. I mean, that's what's interesting - that's what's cool about our show is like, you can - they can bring me back onto any of the shows they wanted. Um, so we'll see."

Edited by tv echo

Although this spinoff is not addressed directly, I thought Jim Lee's response to this fan question was interesting (from compilation of six DC FanDome videos in which DC Chief Creative Officer/Publisher Jim Lee answered fan questions)...

Fandome: Jim Lee Q&A
MovieWatchman   Sep 12, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGkUkMtCPaI

-- When fan asked why there aren't any "titles with female-centered teams" and if we will ever get an "all-female lead team," JL: "Well, we have. Birds of Prey was one of our, uh, best known classic comics that featured an all-female team. Oracle, Huntress, um, Batgirl, um... and Black Canary. So there have been numerous runs of that.particular book. And then we have, uh, a lot of other female lead books, like Supergirl, Batgirl, Catwoman. Um, but we - we move them in and out of the publishing schedule, uh, depending on their sales and what else is happening in media that - that might warrant having a comic book to kind of support the focus or attention on these characters. Um, but we're very proud of - of our female characters. I think it one of our, um, competitive advantages. When you look at the DC Universe, things that we have that are very unique to our universe or that we kind of trailblazer started, certainly the Multiverse, we have probably the best villains in all of known fiction really, if you think about it, uh, and then our female characters. And if you look at Wonder Woman, that movie was a trailblazer in terms of, uh, setting huge box office records for a female-led movie. And I think it really showed that the female characters can - can hold their own. In fact, we should be investing more and more of our time and attention and - and dollars into those properties. So look forward for more of this going forward from DC and beyond."

Edited by tv echo

KM answered some fan questions on Instagram Live on Sep. 26...

-- KM: "Am I going to make another show? I hope so. I don't know what show. But we'll find out one day."

-- KM: "Anything more in the Arrowverse? I hope to be back in the Arrowverse, in whatever quantity they will have me, um, because obviously we're still in limbo about everything. So when you - when I know, you will know."

Katherine McNamara Instagram Live Stream 26 September 2020
instagram live stream    Sep 28, 2020

Edited by tv echo

Katherine McNamara on Playing 'Erratic Tinkerbell of the Apocalypse' in 'The Stand' | toofab
toofab   Oct 8, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY2GNIYxW-M

-- Toofab Interviewer: "All right, so last question, not sure if you can answer this, but last year marked the end of Arrow. Have there been any updates on a possible Canary spinoff?"
KM:
"We have no updates... Um, I know, I know. I feel the same way... [Coronavirus] has, unfortunately, thrown a monkey wrench into everyone's timeline. And, uh, you know, they've had so much to figure out with how to even possibly make TV anymore. Um, so we'll see... You know - I'm far from done with Mia Smoak and so, if there's ever an opportunity to put on the Arrow suit again, I'm 100 percent in. Whether that's Green Arrow & Canaries or popping in and out of the other series or next crossover or whatever it is, I'm not done with Mia Smoak yet."

Edited by tv echo

More no news...

-- On the status of the Green Arrow & The Canaries spinoff and whether it will get a series order, KM: "I wish I had something to share with you. I literally know nothing. You know, we were in limbo going into this pandemic and then now it's just put things back even further, 'cuz CW's just trying to figure out even how to make the shows they already ordered, let alone add a new one into the mix. So we'll see. We're still hopeful. And if nothing else, I'm not done with Mia Smoak yet and I'm fully volunteering as tribute to hop in and out of any other shows and come back, you know, from the future in some way."

Katherine McNamara Instagram Live with Tommy Didario - October 30th
Golden Warrior  Oct 30, 2020

Edited by tv echo