Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
scarynikki12

Green Arrow & The Canaries

No real spoilers...

Arrow's Katherine McNamara Breaks Down Mia's Emotional Trauma and That JJ Cliffhanger
BY LINDSAY MACDONALD   JAN 22, 2020
https://www.tvguide.com/news/arrows-katherine-mcnamara-interview-backdoor-pilot-green-arrow-and-canaries/ 

Should this go to series, do you think it would be a love triangle with those two and Connor (Joseph David Jones), considering the past relationship between Mia and Connor?
McNamara:
I think there definitely could be because that was one of the memories that flashed to Mia as she was remembering everything. Also it seems as though, you know, we don't get to see much of it, but it seems as though new Mia and new Connor have a very specific relationship. It'd be very interesting to see what that history is as well.
I also loved seeing you get to explore a new dynamic between William (Ben Lewis) and Mia because they did grow up together this time around. How do you think that changed their dynamic?
McNamara:
I love Ben Lewis with all of my heart, and crafting that Mia and William relationship has been really special to both of us. You know, in Season 8 we got to see the characters really grow together as they had to face their father and deal with losing him and all of the baggage that, that harbored with it. But now you see their relationship in a very different way given that they grew up together with their mom, and got to have this wonderful happy life. You see their closeness and you see their bond, so strong from the start. But then when Mia gets all of her memories back, I think that makes her almost more protective of her brother and really understand and feel responsible for him even more, given that she knows the other history that they have together.

I have to ask about that cliffhanger because oh my God! What do you think JJ getting his memories back will do to their relationship since he and Mia both now have two timelines to deal with?
McNamara:
I think it brings a lot of questions into things. I mean, Mia was already questioning his motives in this pilot and given that now he remembers, we really don't know where his loyalties are going to lie. So moving forward, it'll be very interesting to see both of them struggle with these two halves of themselves as they move forward in the world and in Star City.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

GREEN ARROW AND THE CANARIES STAR KATHERINE MCNAMARA TEASES MIA SMOAK'S NEW VIGILANTE ROLE
by Aaron Pruner | January 21, 2020
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/green-arrow-and-the-canaries-star-katherine-mcnamara-teases-new-arrowverse-role/ 

Is it safe to say that Mia’s working through these unresolved daddy issues by putting on this costume and pursuing the type of vigilante life she used to despise?
McNamara:
Absolutely, and you see that in episode 9

Spoiler

and you see that in the series finale of Arrow, as well.

What’s great about it is you get to see this girl who has all of the capabilities and all of the opportunities at her fingertips. You know, she’s still the same smart, cunning girl that we’ve known, but because she’s never really known any loss in her life and isn’t, you know, a fighter by nature, she hasn’t really found her passion. She hasn’t really found that thing that makes her feel alive. Discovering that through taking on the mantle, and through finding herself in finding the Green Arrow is a really interesting journey.
How will Team Arrow evolve in the new series?
McNamara:
It’s great to see the most unlikely of characters put into these positions. You see Mia, who’s a tiny blonde girl, being this brooding dark vigilante, in a sense. And you get to see her brother who is also the least likely of vigilantes, who takes on the Overwatch position and be the technical side and the smart side of things. You see all of these characters that you wouldn’t expect to be fulfilling these roles and it gives it a different kind of diversity. You still have the same superhero tropes that we all know and love of the dark vigilante. But you get to see that in the least likely of human beings, and it is really fun to kind of turn the classic tropes on its head and provide a fresh perspective, while still playing into the same superhero legacy that everyone loves.

Edited by tv echo

4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

The only way they pick up this spinoff, in my mind, is if they're planning to cancel two of their Arrowverse shows next season (maybe Supergirl, potentially The Flash is GG doesn't want to do it anymore, maybe Legends). 

Yeah I’m kind of leaning this direction as well.  Theoretically they could be planning on any of these ending after next season, depending on whether GG and MB don’t want to re-sign (though I don’t know for sure whether MB’s contract is for 6 or 7 years).  

Quirky tech support (William) and love interest (Connor) are two roles I don’t see Dinah or Laurel being able to credibly fill.

Well looks like Dinah [Drake] just filled the tech role.

Edited by CabotCove
  • Sad 1

I'm assuming they intend for William to fill the tech role. Maybe they'll wait a few episodes but I think that was the whole reason they had him follow in Felicity's footsteps rather than a different career. Then all three can go out into the field and take on larger groups of bad guys or run down multiple leads at the same time. And there's comic precedent as Rebirth Birds of Prey had a man running comms for a bit while Babs, Dinah, and Helena were off kicking ass.

I don't know why but at work today I got it into my head that the unnamed She that was referenced will be Sara Diggle. I was imagining that she came across one of those rings Cisco made, touched it not knowing what it was, and learned that there was a timeline where she existed and was erased and that was the start of her villain's journey. If She turns out to be Sara then the show and audience are invested in turning her away from villainy.

If She is not going to be Sara then I want her to be a higher up at Argus like Lyla.

Alternatively I can see She being Lady Shiva.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Alternatively I can see She being Lady Shiva.

I would hate if they had Lady Shiva be in charge of the Deathstrokes when she is so above that. 

3 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I would hate if they had Lady Shiva be in charge of the Deathstrokes when she is so above that. 

I'm imagining her using them for her own benefit rather than being an actual part of the gang.

Actually, comic Slade Wilson has a daughter, Rose. Rose being She would work and there's the precedent already built in. We haven't met all of Mia's friends so Rose could be a friend of Mia's from school and they can to a next-gen friendship thing with the kids of Slade and Oliver.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I like the idea of “she” being Rose, but would they use her, since that character is currently on Titans? 

True but this show has two characters with the first name Dinah who have a Canary Cry and the movie comes out in a couple weeks so I can't imagine it would be that big of an obstacle. Maybe they'd be told to change her name from Rose but I think they'd be allowed to use another Wilson offspring if they wanted.

• Like 1

DC should be at the point after COIE where multiple versions can exist of some characters on different shows. Rose would be a good fit. This show also shouldn't be afraid of using meta's, it should be the in between and utilize the universe they are in.

• Like 1

Wasn't Isabel basically Rose? I'm seriously blanking on that whole plot line, other than her being connected to Slade and sleeping with Oliver (before destroying the Queen empire). 

3 minutes ago, Jenniferbug said:

Wasn't Isabel basically Rose? I'm seriously blanking on that whole plot line, other than her being connected to Slade and sleeping with Oliver (before destroying the Queen empire). 

She was Ravager...which Rose is...but they are still really different. Plus with Rose being a meta herself, it would come in handy.

• Like 1

Yes, but if you have two Black Canaries on the same team on the same show, then you're reduced to calling each other by your real names over the comms when you're out in the field (see Arrow 8x09) - not the best way to hide your real identies...

Edited by tv echo

No spoilers (how can there be at this point, since the spinoff hasn't been picked up yet?)...

Katie Cassidy and Juliana Harkavy Tease Arrow Spin-off Cameos
TV Guide News   Jan. 21, 2020

Edited by tv echo

Key word: Credibly

She will be as credible as they want her to be, just as credible as they said all those super tech guys/girls in Arrowverse are, by throwing lines. Besides we live in the digital/technological age, people are become tech savvy and learning tech skills. The technology is also becoming more intuitive and easier for the average person to use. Even more excuse with this set 20 years into future,

They made Dinah's apartment/Clocktower the HQ/base of operation of the potential team, so thats one of the reason they need her to be the one "in the chair". Still dont think they will rely that much on a singular tech person or need to, like the other Arrowverse shows.

I believe this interview was recorded right before the backdoor pilot (809) aired...

Inside of You with Michael Rosenbaum
Episode #97 - Katherine McNamara

January 28, 2020
https://insideofyoupodcast.com/episodes/katherine-mcnamara-2

-- KM said that she cannot say much about her potential Arrow spinoff because she's "sworn to secrecy." She also said that she's already negotiated for it and already knows what she would be paid.

Edited by tv echo

CRISIS IS OVER. HERE ARE 10 THINGS WE WANT TO SEE NEXT IN THE ARROWVERSE
Trent Moore   January 27, 2020
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/arrowverse-post-crisis-infinite-earths-plots-wishlist

The new spinoffs
With Arrow ending, The CW is doubling down on the superhero world it spawned. Literally. The network has two new super-shows in the works: Superman and Lois and Green Arrow & the Canaries.
The other spinoff, Green Arrow & the Canaries, is being launched as a backdoor pilot on Arrow. This is arguably the most interesting one, as it would follow Oliver and Felicity’s future daughter Mia in Star City circa 2040. Just think: A whole show exploring the far-flung future of the Arrowverse? Yeah, that could be a whole lot of fun.

Edited by tv echo

So while this was supposed to happen after the funeral it ended becoming before the funeral due to time travel shenanigans....

And they better have Colin on contract lockdown for the potential spin off

That also allowed for a noticeable spark between her and Tommy — who revealed in the new timeline that he had been married to Earth-1 Laurel prior to her death. (The two never married in the original timeline.)

“[The chemistry,] I think, was in the stage direction, and was certainly in the tone meeting,” Guggenheim says.

Adds Schwartz: “We can play that in this spinoff. We will find a way.”
https://variety.com/2020/tv/features/arrow-season-finale-spoilers-oliver-diggle-postmortem-resurrection-interview-1203484503/

Eh.  I’d rather see Tommy and E1-Laurel’s (hypothetical) daughter show up as one of Mia’s friends.  They can call her Bex (for Tommy’s mom) and Laurel can be all conflicted about the daughter she doesn’t have. 😂

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Eh.  I’d rather see Tommy and E1-Laurel’s (hypothetical) daughter show up as one of Mia’s friends.  They can call her Bex (for Tommy’s mom) and Laurel can be all conflicted about the daughter she doesn’t have. 😂

Maybe the hypothetical daughter can be She!

Seriously, I would be very surprised given that the finale had no mention of Tommy and Laurel having a kid. They could have slipped it in there easily and wouldn't have needed to follow up right away.

Thinking of other She candidates...

Siren's niece somehow making it to Earth Prime would work but I'd rather see Sara coming face to face with that child.

Oliver made it so Emiko is good and building a relationship with Thea but she could have a kid who takes a villain's journey. My Emiko loving island is lonely but maybe a Queen cousin would go over better with the general audience. This can also apply to any daughter Thea has as well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I would've been down for that had they given them a child but if I can finally get some more Tommy/Laurel....I'll take it.

Oh I had another idea! Along the lines of kids, what if She is Siren's daughter? I don't remember when they said Siren decided to travel to the future so, unless I'm misremembering, they could write that she had a random hookup* sometime after Crisis, had a baby, and maybe left her with Quentin with the plan on returning only a few minutes after her mission. Then it turns out that she never came home and, since we now know that Quentin not only sees nothing wrong with who Siren is but actively prefers her to dead Laurel (you know, his ACTUAL DAUGHTER), she grew up angry and resentful which leads to villainy.

*NOT TOMMY! The sister swapping of early Arrow was gross and we do not need doppelganger swapping.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

*NOT TOMMY! The sister swapping of early Arrow was gross and we do not need doppelganger swapping.

I totally get it...but if they happen to fall for each other and form a new relationship I won't be opposed. 

More on that...

Arrow Series Finale: Who Nearly Missed Funeral? Did Laurel and [____] Hook Up? And More Burning Qs Answered
By Matt Webb Mitovich / January 28 2020, 7:
https://tvline.com/2020/01/28/arrow-series-finale-recap-burning-questions-answered/
https://tvline.com/gallery/arrow-series-finale-burning-questions-answered/arrow-series-finale-flashbacks/

IS THERE A FUTURE FOR TOMMY AND EARTH-TWO’S LAUREL?
Any spark you may have sensed as the two first met at the funeral was established in the writers’ tone meeting and then “set in the stage direction,” says EP Marc Guggenheim, quipping: “Who doesn’t hook up at a funeral, right?” “They nailed it,” adds showrunner Beth Schwartz, who loves the idea of Tommy (played by original cast member Colin Donnell) popping up on Green Arrow and Canaries, if it gets ordered to series in May. “Oh, we can play that in the spinoff!” she declares with a delighted laugh. “We’ll find a way!”

‘Arrow’ Series Finale: David Ramsey, Marc Guggenheim and Beth Schwartz Break Down That Ending
BY CHRISTINA RADISH      JANUARY 28, 2020
https://collider.com/arrow-series-finale-ending-explained/ 

There was a little bit of a spark between Tommy and Laurel. How much of that was planned, and is there room to play with that, in the potential spin-off?
GUGGENHEIM: I think it was in the stage direction. It was certainly in the tone meeting. They nailed it.

SCHWARTZ: We can play that in the spin-off. We’ll find a way.

GUGGENHEIM: There’s lots of potential. Part of constructing any series finale is that you want to close off a certain number of loops, but you also want to open a certain number of loops because these characters lives go on beyond the show. Even when it’s not a shared universe and even when there’s no spin-off, these characters don’t cease to “exist.” By the way, who doesn’t hook up at a funeral? Am I right? No.

Edited by tv echo

With the amount of press, the way the producers have talked about it, and the backdoor pilot being the highest rated episode of the season, this feels like it's going to series. Probably won't start until 2021, though.

1 hour ago, Trini said:

With the amount of press, the way the producers have talked about it, and the backdoor pilot being the highest rated episode of the season, this feels like it's going to series. Probably won't start until 2021, though.

They need to just announce a pick up or not already!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trini said:

I'd offhand guess midseason/Spring 2021 like where Stargirl is airing this year, but I wonder if that will depend on what DC Universe is doing with Stargirl. Part of me wonders if that's what they are waiting for, seeing how Stargirl debuts.

Edited by way2interested

So I’m rereading Birds Of Prey: Murder & Mystery and something occurred to me. A lot of people have been assuming that this will be a BOP-ish show and that Dinah will fill the Huntress role. Rereading this story has me wondering if we’ll see Siren do it instead. In the comics Babs and Helena are often at odds. In this specific story Dinah flat out says that Babs hates her (she doesn’t but the conflict is real) and Rebirth put them at odds as well. In the backdoor pilot we saw Mia and Siren at odds while Dinah was the mediator. Helena is more open to killing of the three and Siren’s got all that red in her ledger. I’m only theorizing with regard to the personalities and interactions not powers and abilities by the way. They may not do anything that resembles BOP outside of the three woman led team or they may rotate which character is the Babs/Dinah/Helena depending on what the story requires. It just struck me is all. 

• Like 2

Readers' Choice Most Outstanding Performer of December - Katherine McNamara
Posted by Aimee Hicks at January 31, 2020 
https://www.spoilertv.com/2020/01/performers-of-month-readers-choice-most.html

It is no surprise that Arrow fans are eagerly cheering for the CW to order Green Arrow and the Canaries, the spinoff continuation that will feature Katherine McNamara’s Mia Smoak as one of the lead characters. McNamara’s electric chemistry with all her costars, coupled with the love and dedication she pours into shaping her character, plus her commitment to the physicality of the role has given her the opportunity to build a beloved new addition to the Arrowverse from scratch. For all the reasons mentioned in this article, and all the dynamic performances she’s given on the show thus far, McNamara was voted December’s Performer of the Month by our readers.

Edited by tv echo

Even if (if!) CW is definitely going ahead with this, maybe they're making sure other pilots are considered before making any announcements?

I think that makes it likely something is progressing on it. It wasn't there from the backdoor pilot shooting and PW is a factual site for industry jobs etc not guesses or random updaters like wiki or IMDb. 

The four pilots the CW recently ordered are also up there but they will also be looking for crew for the next few weeks. It's possible GAATC is now in contention with them and won't be picked up or passed over officially until May but this seems like it might at least have permission to begin staffing, if nothing 100% official. 

Some of the cast and EPs are acting like it's already been picked up on social media, others say it hasn't yet. It's hard to tell. 

Sounds like they are filming another pilot to be ready for upfronts, just like Superman and Lois is doing at the same time. If is was picked up for series I would think official production wouldn't be beginning until later

49 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Some of the cast and EPs are acting like it's already been picked up on social media, others say it hasn't yet. It's hard to tell. 

Which EPs? I though Beth and MG always played the "if" game and Oscar and Jill haven't commented much.

22 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Sounds like they are filming another pilot to be ready for upfronts, just like Superman and Lois is doing at the same time. If is was picked up for series I would think official production wouldn't be beginning until later

The backdoor pilot was the official pilot. S&L had a separate pilot ordered before getting picked up straight to series. If they wanted a separate one wouldn't they just have ordered one like The Flash eventually had a completely separate one instead of a BPD in Arrow?

If it's because they aren't sure or want to tweak the concept that's a lot of money to spend on something when they already spent extra money a couple of months ago and can see what works and what doesn't. Usually if something's redeveloped it takes a year or so like The Lost Boys pilot. Maybe they're planning to start early because of the writers strike? 

Re the EPs I thought I'd seen a couple of tweets/replies that seemed more on the side of "when" from MG recently, but that might just have been a when meaning "if" scenario. 

At any rate something seems to be happening on it recently. whether it's gearing up for a series order, another pilot or just putting things in place because they presume they're getting picked up. 

3 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

The backdoor pilot was the official pilot. S&L had a separate pilot ordered before getting picked up straight to series. If they wanted a separate one wouldn't they just have ordered one like The Flash eventually had a completely separate one instead of a BPD in Arrow?

It might not be a pilot, might just be some more proof of concept footage to possibly use as promotion later, like what LoT did with its original trailer, which I think did the same thing of filming the footage in spring, got released in May for Upfronts, and then the show, using none of the footage, was later released mid-season after getting an August production start date and a straight to series order..

13 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Re the EPs I thought I'd seen a couple of tweets/replies that seemed more on the side of "when" from MG recently, but that might just have been a when meaning "if" scenario. 

The closest I found was him agreeing to Gail Simone's wish to write for it but "needing the show to get picked up to series first!"

• Useful 1