Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
scarynikki12

Green Arrow & The Canaries

a.k.a. Birds of Prey-lite? I'm happy for Katie Cassidy though. Who'd have thought all those years ago when she was killed off from Arrow, that she'd be starring into 2 shows in the Berlantiverse?

• Like 1

Caity Lotz did it first. And I suspect better.

But you know what they say, "If at first you don't succeed, try try try try try again on the same network." Good for Cassidy for sticking it out, 5 shows in 12 years at the CW is an achievement.

It seems less BOP-lite and more "Future Team Arrow" plus Canaries for added interest. Or at any rate that they smashed the two concepts together and none of the three actresses are apparently particularly happy about it. We know that the 2040 team are all in the pilot at least, as is Charlie Barnett playing JJ. 

I too suspect I'll end up saying CL did it first and better as I do about anything to do with the Canaries in the Arrowverse, but I actually hope this is decent as I like the 2040 team as a group although their storylines have been a bit dull. 

• Like 3

Green Arrow and Black Cannary are so linked in my mind I don't know that I'd watch a show without that link.  Arrow swerved it out of the romantic, but the link remained.  

• Like 1

Not sure whats really going on here anymore, but if what this Ken guy is saying has some truth to it, "taking two ideas of a show and meshing them", yeah thats sounds like a mess. 

And he should straighten up his statements, it doesnt sound like he really knows what is going on. First he said that this was undoubtedly  Kat Mcnamara's show not so many days ago. Now he is coming back and saying the dynamic has changed causing issues and two ideas are being meshed together. Didn't get the show that they were pitched. Well then Ken doll

tenor.gif

Edited by CabotCove
  • Laugh 1

8 minutes ago, CabotCove said:

And he should straighten up his statements, it doesnt sound like he really knows what is going on. First he said that this was undoubtedly  Kat Mcnamara's show not so many days ago. Now he is coming back and saying the dynamic has changed causing issues and two ideas are being meshed together. Didn't get the show that they were pitched. Well then Ken doll

He says it's Kat's show in the string of tweets that are quoted. Seems like "the dynamics have changed" is referring to them no longer going with the premise of the show that Kat was pitched when she signed up - which appears to be a strictly 2040 show with her as the lead, and are now going with a show set wherever it's going to be set with her as the lead, the 2040 crew and two Canaries. 

1 hour ago, ouinason said:

Green Arrow and Black Cannary are so linked in my mind I don't know that I'd watch a show without that link.  

Before Arrow, I always associated Black Canary with Birds of Prey, not Green Arrow.  🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

I wonder what the 'hook' for this show will be?

It's a spin-off of Arrow, but they shouldn't/can't count on the audience from that show to show up for this. They should also be targeting new viewers who haven't watched Arrow.

It has to be more than 'Arrow, but female'.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 2:02 AM, Trini said:

I wonder what the 'hook' for this show will be?

My hunch is we won't know that for sure until after the CoIE crossover because I have a feeling a lot of the premise for it would actually spoil a number of things in said crossover.

Like, say for example that as part of resolving the CoIE Ollie's fate is changed, the future is brighter and Mia grows up with both her parents (and as Mia Queen) and actually getting to know William for most of her life?

That is going to be a massively different premise than simply Mia/William/Connor return to an unchanged 2040 where they hook up with two aged Canaries to fight crime in a dystopian future... and both would play very differently than one where Mia, William and Connor are stranded in 2020 and trying to keep the dystopian future of 2040 from occurring.

Revealing any of those gives away the ending of Crisis so my hunch is we won't hear about the 'hook' until after the crossover has aired.

If I were to just guess; It's called the Arrowverse for a reason and this show is basically a "next generation" for Arrow. Further, I think the showrunners have been looking for a way move the Supergirl (and the upcoming Superman series) into the main Arrowverse ever since Supergirl moved from CBS to the CW because of the convolutions of bringing that part of the universe into the crossovers every year (its also probably why Batwoman got set in Earth-1 despite there being no history of Batman before in Earth-1 while Supergirl had referenced Superman working with Batman as early as as season two of her own show).

Finally, I don't either of the Canaries would look forward to having to wear the age-up by 20 years make-up in every episode.

So combining those three elements, I think the most likely outcome is going to be Mia, William and Connor stuck in 2020 after the Crisis and trying to keep the 2040 future from happening with the help of the two current Canaries.

It puts the show in the same Earth and time-period as the rest of the Arrowverse for easy crossovers (i.e. it avoids the Supergirl problem), it eliminates the need to worry about how actions on all the shows set in the past relative to 2040 will impact the series (a whole new problem in addition to the Supergirl-ish one) and also makes it easier for them to bring in past Arrow actors as guest stars if desired (and without needing to apply old-age makeup to fit them in).

My further non-spoilered hunch is that Ollie's "death" and Felicity raising Mia off the grid (and joining Ollie in the paradise dimension) will be maintained as is so that Mia (i.e. Ollie 2.0), William (Felicity 2.0) and Connor (Diggle 2.0) have to step in to fill the vacuum in Star City lest it turn into the future they came from.

Edited by Chris24601
  • Useful 1

When I say "hook", I'm not talking so much about the premise, but about how they plan to sell the show and get audiences interested.

For example: Riverdale is 'sexy murder, mystery, and melodrama in a small town'.

As far as I can tell, this is going to be '(female) vigilante (+ team) fights criminals in a corrupted city', and Batwoman already has that covered. What's going make this different from that and Arrow?

• Like 1

My hunch? The time displaced trying to change the future (i.e. specifically employing future knowledge to stop things before they happen) and the legacies angle.

I know that "legacies" seems like a weak premise, but then the show Legacies was literally built around essentially being TVD/TO TNG. The sequel trilogy of Star Wars was premised on what happened next in an ongoing family drama.

In other words, if the original characters are beloved enough then seeing what becomes of their offspring is actually a hook and let's be honest... Ollie, Felicity and Diggle are pretty damned beloved as characters go.

So we've got William, who is Ollie's kid (and is a lot like Felicity), Mia is Ollie and Felicity's kid (and takes after her dad) and Connor is Diggle's adopted son (and Bronze Tiger's bio-son and also worked for "the good version of ARGUS") so we've got three legacy characters each able to fill one of the OTA spots, but with a different dynamic (Mia and William are siblings, Connor is Mia's love interest).

Oh, and there are some Canaries if you care about them.

But again... that's just my hunch. A lot rides on how the Crisis Crossover plays out and where they end up. If they instead end up back in dystopian 2040 (unlikely because it puts both Canaries in their early 50s) then THAT is your hook... that they're the future of the Arrowverse putting right what the past heroes made wrong.

• Like 2

I know that "legacies" seems like a weak premise, but then the show Legacies was literally built around essentially being TVD/TO TNG. The sequel trilogy of Star Wars was premised on what happened next in an ongoing family drama.

Well the difference between this situation and that of the TVDverse is that this Arrowverse already has multiple shows still airing: The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, , Batwoman [BLack Lightining? might very well be joining, nevertheless its still counts as its another samey DC superhero show]

The Vampire Diaries universe on the other hand had no other shows left when The Originals concluded,  likely CW greenlit Legacies to keep the TVD universe alive. Just saying that its a bit of a different situation. 

Edited by CabotCove
  • Like 2

Both polls are evenly split (50-50) right now...

However, Mia Smoak is currently in the lead (with 59%) in this poll...

Edited by tv echo

So, it looks like it will be set in 2040 after all. That probably means a closed time loop situation for them in relation to Crisis so nothing we’ve seen already gets changed and whatever Ollie’s fate is, the world will believe he’s dead and Felicity goes to be with him just like before.

I can live with that, though it does bring into question how DD and LL will be involved... time travel or just a very spry 50+? My money is on very spry 50+ simply because it’s the least disruptive of what the showrunner’s original concept likely was (i.e. a straight-up non-time travel based “next generation” leading a pseudo-rebellion against a dystopian state... almost more a low sci-fi setting than a superhero one).

Honestly, it’d make more sense to me to have kept Zoe alive and gone with the already established Canary Network instead, but that’s probably where the two concepts got slammed together (and probably why Zoe had to be killed off).

I bet the original Mia & Co pitch would have just been called “Green Arrow” but because of KC now it’s this clunky name.

Based on the Twitter polls (GA&tC slightly beating Supes, Mia running away with the fave poll and split on Sarah Lance joining when LoT ends) it seems the only people who think adding DD and LL (or any other characters from past series) to mix is a good idea was whoever KC’s fan inside the CW is.

Just a hunch, but I suspect that the Canaries part is gonna end up being DD and LL splitting the part that Zoe (who had been made leader of the Canaries and was still good in the field) would have had in the original pitch rather than having significantly expanded roles due to the change-up as it’s pretty clear the writer’s focus is very much on the Mia/William sibling relationship and Mia/Connor relationship stuff.

If I were to guess DD will mostly be the Canary leader part of what would have been Zoe’s role while LL (owing to actual super powers making up for being 50+) will be the field part of Zoe’s role. I suspect their trajectory will be pretty much the same as original Laurel’s on Arrow (i.e. increasing irrelevance until written out) with Mia, William and Connor taking the bulk of the screen time.

The main other thing I’m wondering about is if the new show will keep the washed out color filters they’ve been using on Arrow to distinguish the FFs from the main show or if the future will suddenly get richer hues now that it will be the show’s “present.”

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chris24601 said:

The main other thing I’m wondering about is if the new show will keep the washed out color filters they’ve been using on Arrow to distinguish the FFs from the main show or if the future will suddenly get richer hues now that it will be the show’s “present.”

716 (which was a backdoor pilot in all but name down to the extra budget used in the episode) didn't use them, so probably not.

Good point about the full future episode having normal coloring. I’d forgotten that.

The fact that it seems this series will actually be set in 2040 though does lead me to wonder if they’re actually going to merge the other Earths after all. The main logic behind a merge would be making crossovers easier, but if GA&TC is set in 2040 while Flash, Supergirl and Batwoman are set in 2020 they’ve just moved the odd-man out for the crossovers instead of eliminating the odd-man out situation and the crossovers get even more contrived since anything not related to GA&TC happened 20 years ago for them and obviously didn’t end the world or they’d not be having their 2040 adventures.

2040 is just kinda an odd choice to make in relation to the rest of the Arrowverse series unless they’re just planning on dropping the crossovers (or not having GA&TC be involved anyway)... including non-big crossovers because of all the potential spoilers that would result.

They're referring to the ATX Television Festival on June 4-7, 2020, in Austin, TX...

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

Your original point was by not having Laurel in COIE, they are dooming the spinoff. I said Mia is in the whole crossover at least for Oliver's story since he's one of the characters who's "dying," so they aren't. That was my point.

My point is he has got two of the characters in the title of his spin off "Green Arrow and The Canaries", Guggeinheim has a chance to feature them in significant roles [Laurel and Dinah ] in the Crisis Crossover (COIE), and he doesn't. Yeah to me he is dooming himself, if he won't treat these characters well now, he is giving people a reason to not trust him that he will in the spin off.

This is the most direct Arrow spin off they have ever done, its not exactly going to be friendly to new viewers, so likely they are mostly relying on viewers already familiar with Arrow lore. Well, two of the characters confirmed in potential spin off, have been Arrow veterans for some time now and the Canary lore a part of Arrow for 8 years. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Edited by CabotCove
  • Like 1

My hunch is “the Canaries” part was foisted on them by the CW (someone there really likes KC) and is also the reason Zoe had to be killed off since as of the end of s7 she was pegged to lead the Canaries while Dinah went off into hiding (but now Dinah will be back and Laurel too).

Also, the Canaries don’t quite share equal billing in the title. Green Arrow is singular, the Canaries are plural and not even necessarily distinct from anyone in the Canary Network. If this was a band they’re clearly the backup singers (i.e. Gladys Knight and the Pips).

I’m still trying to figure out the timeline on this because, barring time travel shenanigans, Dinah and Laurel would both be in their fifties in 2040 and I doubt either actress signed up to wear old age makeup for the entire series (maybe a side effect of the Crisis is Earth 1 gets better youth retention treatments?).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CabotCove said:

This is the most direct Arrow spin off they have ever done, its not exactly going to be friendly to new viewers, so likely they are mostly relying on viewers already familiar with Arrow lore. Well, two of the characters confirmed in potential spin off, have been Arrow veterans for some time now and the Canary lore a part of Arrow for 8 years. 

And current viewers of Arrow recognize that whoever the Green Arrow is usually gets more attention than the canaries. I get the title is different, but if this is just continuing with the Arrow audience and not trying to bring in new people (besides maybe the Shadowhunters fandom with KM), then focusing on Mia over the Canaries would be pretty much doing the same thing the audience already expects

Edited by way2interested

16 hours ago, CabotCove said:

I get it Mia is mostly there to service Oliver's story but he still could have used the crossover to showcase all 3 spin off characters, not to takeover but just a significant appearance. 

If she's the newest character and the 2 others are characters that have been on the show for 3+ years (not counting KC being around since the beginning as a different character), then wouldn't it make sense to push the newest one? This isn't even about preferences, the Arrowverse has literally done this several times on their shows and even their crossovers.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Trini said:

I don't trust Guggenheim to be in charge of a female-led show. I hope Beth Schwartz has equal or more power.

MG, Jill, Beth, and Oscar are all creating the show, with if anyone I would guess Oscar and Jill being more hands-on on the show with MG having other shows and Beth having her developmental deal with WB to make other shows. Oscar was one of the backbones behind the FFs in s7 and Jill co-wrote "Lost Canary" last year and 802 this year (along with 713).

Edited by way2interested
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, way2interested said:

And current viewers of Arrow recognize that whoever the Green Arrow is usually gets more attention than the canaries. I get the title is different, but if this is just continuing with the Arrow audience and not trying to bring in new people (besides maybe the Shadowhunters fandom with KM), then focusing on Mia over the Canaries would be pretty much doing the same thing the audience already expects

I think one my favorite Twitter replies to the “comic cover” promo was the new show “carrying on the tradition of a Smoak upstaging two flops.”

Just the fact that there’s an entire Canary Network also means the “Canary” title isn’t even going to be exclusive to those two. It’s like the Canaries are the Red Shirts of the future Star City hero set and DD and LL are lumped under that heading while Mia gets her own unique codename.

• Like 3

They definitely need to try and bring in a new audience, because not everyone who watched Arrow will watch this spinoff.

22 minutes ago, Chris24601 said:

Just the fact that there’s an entire Canary Network also means the “Canary” title isn’t even going to be exclusive to those two. It’s like the Canaries are the Red Shirts of the future Star City hero set and DD and LL are lumped under that heading while Mia gets her own unique codename.

Well, no one else wants to be Green Arrow, so it's good that Mia can take her father's codename.

BTW, have they decided if Mia is a Queen or Smoak? I've seen her character just labeled as 'Mia' in press releases.

I think it will almost certainly be Mia Queen. If the timeline is a hard reset where Ollie is still seen as a hero in 2040 then I think it’s a given.

But even if the timeline mostly works out the same as we’ve seen* I suspect part of Mia taking on the mantle of Green Arrow would involve her also taking on the Queen name (for general comic book familiarity), particularly since that promo piece doesn’t have her in a mask and everyone knows Oliver Queen was the original Green Arrow (though she might be Mia Smoak-Queen in that case).

* Eden Corp/Galaxy One was behind the long term anti-vigilante propaganda in/around Star City, Felicity’s partner still has the Archer code and is looking for a payday from it and Felicity laid low with Mia because the Ninth Circle had a kill order on Oliver Queen’s family... all that is independent of Green Arrow being seen as a hero in 2020.

They’ve maybe changed things with the Deathstrokes, but per the exposition in the last Arrow episode, no prison could actually hold Grant Wilson so they may have only delayed their rise by a year or two, not stopped it (meaning it’s still up and running at the point JJ is recruited).

5 hours ago, Trini said:

They definitely need to try and bring in a new audience, because not everyone who watched Arrow will watch this spinoff.

More reason to focus on the newer character!

Just the fact that there’s an entire Canary Network also means the “Canary” title isn’t even going to be exclusive to those two. 

characters can co exist with the same title just fine and still be important: The Green Lanterns, Jedi Order, Slayers etc.

And current viewers of Arrow recognize that whoever the Green Arrow is usually gets more attention than the canaries.

Why should that always be the expectation and hard rule. If anything IMO, its time for Green Arrow to step aside a bit, so that a different lore can take over, be it the Canary lore,  Birds of Prey lore or something else.   Arrow viewers are smart enough to see its its in the Arrow world without actually becoming a 2nd Green Arrow show. 

Edited by CabotCove

33 minutes ago, CabotCove said:

Arrow viewers are smart enough to see its its in the Arrow world without actually becoming a 2nd Green Arrow show.

Lol because you just suggested that the show is generally for old Arrow viewers. If it is only for them, it makes sense to just follow a similar premise to Arrow

34 minutes ago, CabotCove said:

And characters can co exist with the same title just fine and still be important: The Green Lanterns, Jedi Order, Slayers etc. 

Sure, but if the show is called "Obi Wan and the Jedi Order," who do you think is going to have a slightly bigger focus?

• Like 2

Lol because you just suggested that the show is generally for old Arrow viewers. If it is only for them, it makes sense to just follow a similar premise to Arrow

I never suggested that Lol, I said the show is mostly to attract "old" Arrow viewers, of course they should absolutely try and attract new viewers as Trini suggested, as not every Arrow viewer will be on board either, some are jumping off when Arrow ends.  It cant be for only Arrow viewers but those are the ones that are likely to be the majority viewership interested in this direct spin off. Thats my point. Doesnt mean they have to be lazy and do the same thing they always done for 8 years, "old" viewers generally still want to watch something new, something different. Its a balancing act. 

Sure, but if the show is called "Obi Wan and the Jedi Order," who do you think is going to have a slightly bigger focus?

That example doesnt apply here, Mia/GA is not the leader of the Canaries, they have their own team and leaders. A separate entity from her. 

Edited by CabotCove
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CabotCove said:

That example doesnt apply here, Mia/GA is not the leader of the Canaries, they have their own team and leaders. A separate entity from her. 

K, Han Solo and the Jedi. What now, Han Solo isn't going to get slightly more attention?

Edited by way2interested
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, CabotCove said:

Doesnt mean they have to be lazy and do the same thing they always done for 8 years, "old" viewers still want to watch something new. 

I just think TPTB on tv networks are always lazy and would rather replicate old stuff especially when it was on one of their cheapest and most profitable shows then make new things just to "give fans something new." But guess we'll agree to disagree

K, Han Solo and the Jedi. What now, Han Solo isn't going to get slightly more attention?

Perhaps, perhaps not but we are getting ahead of ourselves, we gonna have to watch that backdoor pilot first to be sure who is getting the major focus or to even know what this spin off is really about. It really doesnt have to be a competition. For all we know, both sides are equally featured. And even if one side is somewhat more featured it might still be balanced. 

Edited by CabotCove
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CabotCove said:

It really doesnt have to be a competition. For all we know, both sides are equally featured, And even if one side is dominant it might still be balanced. 

Fair enough, I wasn't trying to make it a competition XD. I just thought this whole thing started with saying the spinoff was being screwed over since it seems Mia is in the whole crossover, and Laurel (and Dinah, I guess) aren't, but yeah, we do have to ultimately see 809 first. Maybe they'll get balanced or more focus there, so the crossover representation doesn't mean anything ultimately, I guess.

• Like 1

Fair enough, I wasn't trying to make it a competition XD. 

Yeah I know, its cool👍.

Well, no one else wants to be Green Arrow, so it's good that Mia can take her father's codename.

Doubts thats true Lol, Im sure a couple of people who would love to be GA. Green Arrow is an inspiration and a hero. 

Edited by CabotCove
  • Like 1

So it is basically the FTA 2040 spinoff, just with added Canaries.  Now the only question is whether KC and JH are going to be stuck in old-age makeup, or whether they end up traveling to the future.  I can maybe see why Laurel might want to, but not sure why Dinah would.

20 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

So it is basically the FTA 2040 spinoff, just with added Canaries.  Now the only question is whether KC and JH are going to be stuck in old-age makeup, or whether they end up traveling to the future.  I can maybe see why Laurel might want to, but not sure why Dinah would.

They must travel to the future or get stuck there somehow - Katie and Juliana were both wearing their current outfits/hair/etc. during at least part of the filming for the backdoor pilot. Either that or they're still doing flashbacks and this time the flashbacks are the current timeline (probably not likely, but who knows).

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 9:32 AM, Chris24601 said:

My hunch is “the Canaries” part was foisted on them by the CW (someone there really likes KC) and is also the reason Zoe had to be killed off since as of the end of s7 she was pegged to lead the Canaries while Dinah went off into hiding (but now Dinah will be back and Laurel too).

Someone on twitter suggested that it could have been either a network or DC requirement to add DD and/or LL to the spinoff for IP issues, because almost all the main characters in 2040-- Mia, William, Zoe, JJ-- are original characters with no ties to the comics.  

So to accommodate the last minute additions, they get rid of Zoe, and they'll probably come up with timey wimey bullshit to bring DD and LL into the future. Even in the spinoff, BC stands for Because Comics. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Someone on twitter suggested that it could have been either a network or DC requirement to add DD and/or LL to the spinoff for IP issues, because almost all the main characters in 2040-- Mia, William, Zoe, JJ-- are original characters with no ties to the comics.  

So to accommodate the last minute additions, they get rid of Zoe, and they'll probably come up with timey wimey bullshit to bring DD and LL into the future. Even in the spinoff, BC stands for Because Comics. 

I'd guess network requirement (the same one that kept KC showing up even after Laurel had been killed off). I don't know what it is, but someone at the CW keeps putting her on shows where the show-runners seem to go out of their way to use and develop her character as little as possible.

I don't think it'd be an IP related element... copyright is copyright on all created works and both the comics and the Arrowverse shows belong to Warner Brothers so its technically all the same umbrella. Meanwhile the trademarks don't even care who's using the title... which is why Wally West was the Flash in the comics for decades and was the version to appear in the Justice League cartoon along with the John Stewart version of Green Lantern.

The point is, Zoe using the name Black Canary would be just as good IP-wise as Dinah Drake or Dinah Lance being the Canary. That leads me to think that it has to be more CW related than DC related.

I kinda hope DD and LL actually do have to wear aged up makeup and play being in their 50s just because that's the version of the story that would have the least amount of 'shenanigans' in its setup. Anything involving time travel is gonna make things more complex for general audiences and just a distraction unless its actually the primary focus of the series (ex. Legends of Tomorrow).

Actually, the Legends gives me a bit of a thought.

Rumor has it Clark & Lois' son is going to be a pre-teen/early-teenager in the series they're shooting the pilot for in March. If rapid aging isn't involved that implies their spin-off would actually be set 10-15 years in the future (i.e. 2030-2035).

Rumor also has it they're going to do a variant on the Superman: Rebirth as refugees who arrive on Earth 1 via temporal hi-jinks from the previous universe so a little time travel might adjust their present day for their series a bit... perhaps even to 2040.

The Legends already time-travel as their central shtick. They could visit 2040 as easily as they could 2020.

The Flash can time travel and they've been hinting at Iris being somehow connected to the 31st Century. Barry just needs a reason to end up in 2040 during crossover season (and for once he couldn't mess up 2020 with anything he does while time traveling in 2040).

I've also heard a rumor that MB is unlikely to renew her contract on Supergirl when it comes up at the end of next season because she's looking to go back to L.A. (this might even be part of the reason the CW is looking at a Superman & Lois series now). If so, they'd only need to worry about Supergirl showing up for one more crossover.

The point is... if two of the new Arrowverse series are set in the future, the two oldest of the rest both include time-travel elements and the next oldest might be wrapping up next season... the whole general timeline for the Arrowverse might end up shifting to 2040 with only Batwoman and Black Lightning set in the present day (Legends sat out last year's crossover and Black Lightning hasn't really been involved in any crossovers... even Crisis isn't crossing over into his show directly... so just because they're IN the Arrowverse doesn't mean they need to be in every crossover).

Alternately, the showrunners specifically want to move away from the crossovers and are putting GA&tC in 2040 specifically so they can skip the next crossover or three.

• Useful 2

Well, personally, I'm not a fan of this title anyway. It's a bit too long and it's basically trying to encapture TWO different plots (Green Arrow stuff vs the Canary stuff, which will always be somewhat separate). I think they need a more generic and universal title that encompasses what the show would be about. 

The title definitely works against its favour. It would be like if they had changed the name of The Flash to The Flash and the Wells, or if they changed the name from Legends of Tomorrow to White Canary and the Atom. This show isn't necessarily going to be solely about Mia, or solely about Dinah or Laurel. It seems like it's in a weird middle ground; not a solo lead, but not a full fledged ensemble. 

Plus, it's not a very flowy title. Green Arrow & The Canaries isn't a catchy title. They're better off calling it Star City or something like that. Keep it generic enough, not just to capture more people, but not to narrow it so specifically. 

• Like 3

Interviews from this week where KM mentions the spinoff--

https://tvline.com/2019/11/18/arrow-8x05-preview-katherine-mcnamara-mia-oliver-russia/

TVLINE | When I spoke with Charlie Barnett (who plays JJ/Deathstroke) a couple of weeks ago, he said pretty much nothing about the backdoor pilot episode except that he’s in it. Can you share a bit more?
[Network publicist on call intervenes, slams down the Cone of Silence] No. I can’t really say anything. I can say it’s really exciting and it’s very different, and there are going to be a lot of things that are quite unexpected within that.

https://collider.com/arrow-season-8-interview-katherine-mcnamara/

How and when did you find out about the possibility of a new Arrow spin-off, and that it would focus on this crime fighting team of The Canaries?
McNAMARA: The spin-off was always a rumor, but so many things change, in television and in this industry. I try not to get too excited about things, until they’re actually real. But it’s been really exciting, though, to get to discover what the possibilities for the future are, and what this new world could be. I think people are going to be rather surprised by the direction that we take with it. I’m hoping for the best.

https://www.tvinsider.com/833564/katherine-mcnamara-arrow-season-8-mia-oliver-canaries-spinoff/

But I am sure you still have a lot to do even though the show has wrapped...you've done the backdoor pilot, right?

It was kind of crazy. We have so much to do and coming off of the crossover, everybody was already slightly at their wits' end. But this crew is so amazing. We had to build an entirely brand-new world in about half the time of shooting a normal pilot and they pulled it together. We figured it out and truly, truly made something that I hope people are going to enjoy.

I'm really hoping that it goes forward because you, Juliana Harkavy and Katie Cassidy together is just fire.

Thank you. It's really different. I think it's going to be more different than a lot of people expect, but I'm feeling exciting.

I can only imagine the stuff that you did in the Canaries backdoor pilot involves all-new fight styles for the three of you?

Oh yeah. It's great. It's going to be a lot of fun. Moving forward, Mia is constantly getting new gadgets and skills. With a brother like William (Ben Lewis) who knows Smoak Tech, he is going to create [things for her]. And it's really interesting to see as she goes through the season and is confronted by new challenges, what skills she has learned from her father.

• Like 1