Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Ne’e aku, ne’e mai ke one o Punahoa (That Way and This Way Shifts the Sands of Punahoa)

• Start Topic

Five-0 teams up with a DEA agent to search for a killer whose plane crashed in the jungle with $10 million worth of heroin on board. Also, Grover is thrilled when his niece Siobhan (guest star Nia Holloway) comes to try out for the University of Hawaii basketball team. Basketball star Metta World Peace guest stars as himself. The episode was co-written by series star Chi McBride.

Original Airdate: November 15, 2019

SOURCE: https://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=53827

Steve talking on phone:  "Hey, it's me.  I'm-I'm sorry. No, I did, I did.  I, uh, I got all your messages. I just miss her, Danny."

Miss her?  WTF!  Has he seen her for more than a few minutes in the past five years????  She was a bad mother.

Also, I hope Lou isn't thinking of getting his niece into Five-O.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, preeya said:

Also, I hope Lou isn't thinking of getting his niece into Five-O.

Hopefully after a college degree and 4 years of hoops to bring her to age rather than the first female SEAL.

What was up with Sergeant Quinn Liu declaration of total victory? They lost two Deputy Marshals 

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Both Quinn and Steve were getting a bad vibe from the DEA agent so why didn't they just have someone run him through the system immediately.   There's like 25 people on 5-0 now so someone should have been available.  

Edited by Maverick
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Oh man, I was a bit conflicted on this episode!  I spent half the time thinking Sonny Crockett was dirty, and the other half the time thinking he was being introduced to be the new Danny.  You know, since the real Danny apparently decided to abandon his best friend in his time of need after making such a extravagantly supportive gesture to fly all the way to DC to comfort him. 

I also liked the bit of actor-y business that AOL demonstrated.  Steve's way to grieve and process is to perch on the edge of his bed or couch in quiet concentrated contemplation.  He did it after Catherine left him, the episode opened with him sitting in his bedroom doing that, and then there was the scene in his office.  I appreciated the character continuity.

• Love 1

And Eddie strikes again - this time as attack dog!

I swear to God when Steve picked up the phone in the last scene I wondered who he was going to call, then thought maybe Catherine and when he finally said 'Danny' it still took me a second to realize who he was talking to. That's how much I missed Scott Caan.

Young Lou talking wee Siobhan into getting out of the apartment without 'waking up' momma was the best scene - that really got me in the feels.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 5

When I saw that Chi McBride had co-written the episode, I knew it would include a dose of something he likes, which in this case is probably the basketball sub-story. Too bad he can't do his homework in regards to athletes trying out for a college team. Not sure if it was the mythical Aloha State team, but if it is Division I, only men's basketball is allowed to hold tryouts and there are a lot of conditions. Division II schools are allowed to hold 1 tryout, but the student must be enrolled in high school and I'm pretty sure they said she was expelled for the gun episode. Division III schools cannot hold tryouts, period.

So, Junior/Adam/Eddie take off into the woods to try to find the airplane that they suspect may have drugs on board, and between them all they have 2 1/2 pistol clips of ammunition? Eddie is good, but he isn't that good. Yet, they will show up at someone's house where they think the drug runner may have went and they have tactical military weapons.

And, you then have the known criminal who is involved in the big drug sale and the money laundering who lands in the hospital, and they are looking forward to questioning him on the "bigger conspiracy,"and there is no police guard? But, the flat line machine noise was a nice touch as the killer janitor strolled down the hallway.

I've noticed that this season, they have not shown Kamekona walking, he is always sitting. I think on the crossover episodes of Magnum P.I. where he has appeared, the same is true. Is the actor non-ambulatory at this time?

One last mystery, I looked ahead to November 29 and I see they are repeating the Joe White death show from last year (again). I've looked for media reports/interviews, etc., and I cannot find anything as to why Terry O'Quinn wanted to leave the show? It isn't as if he had a huge role, just wondering if it was a Lenkov decision to continue erasing people from McGarret's life, or if O'Quinn said he didn't want to do the character any more?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, GustheCat said:

So, Junior/Adam/Eddie take off into the woods to try to find the airplane that they suspect may have drugs on board, and between them all they have 2 1/2 pistol clips of ammunition? Eddie is good, but he isn't that good. Yet, they will show up at someone's house where they think the drug runner may have went and they have tactical military weapons.

This happened once on The Blacklist when an FBI agent hollered "I'm Out" during a shootout.  It really drew the ire of the forum.

Re: Eddie the dog, very unlikely a Labrador Retriever would attack anyone. Bark maybe, bite unlikely.

1 hour ago, threebluestars said:

I swear I heard Lou call her Sha-bon more than once and it threw me.

He did. Thus, her calling herself Bonnie.

Edited by preeya
23 hours ago, Raja said:

What was up with Sergeant Quinn Liu declaration of total victory? They lost two Deputy Marshals 

Right? I mean, I get wanting to cheer Steve up, but she went about it in a really tone deaf way. 

And how weird is it that we have Danny calling Steve constantly but he's, you know, not around. Caan's contract is so weird. 

9 hours ago, GustheCat said:

And, you then have the known criminal who is involved in the big drug sale and the money laundering who lands in the hospital, and they are looking forward to questioning him on the "bigger conspiracy,"and there is no police guard? But, the flat line machine noise was a nice touch as the killer janitor strolled down the hallway.

Anybody notice the killer used a pillow with a silenced gun?  Guess he was afraid of somebody hearing a shot, but didn't care if the heart monitor made a sound which probably set off an alarm at the nurses' station anyhow.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Utpe said:

Anybody notice the killer used a pillow with a silenced gun?  Guess he was afraid of somebody hearing a shot, but didn't care if the heart monitor made a sound which probably set off an alarm at the nurses' station anyhow.

The pillow gives you a PG rated head shot. The silencer on the other hand you would have the hospital's immediate response be to a medical emergency instead of an active shooter. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, GustheCat said:

I've noticed that this season, they have not shown Kamekona walking, he is always sitting. I think on the crossover episodes of Magnum P.I. where he has appeared, the same is true. Is the actor non-ambulatory at this time?

Maybe Eddie wasn't that good, but Adam and Junior were. Did you notice the carnage Adam and Junior inflicted even with the assault weapon armed bad guy yelling at his mooks to flank them and do something besides spray bullets.

I have been worried about Taylor Wily for a few seasons now, especially when Flippa started showing up solo on occasion. Sumo wrestlers do have a relatively low life span expectancy.

• Love 1
On 11/16/2019 at 4:29 PM, GustheCat said:

When I saw that Chi McBride had co-written the episode, I knew it would include a dose of something he likes, which in this case is probably the basketball sub-story. Too bad he can't do his homework in regards to athletes trying out for a college team. Not sure if it was the mythical Aloha State team, but if it is Division I, only men's basketball is allowed to hold tryouts and there are a lot of conditions. Division II schools are allowed to hold 1 tryout, but the student must be enrolled in high school and I'm pretty sure they said she was expelled for the gun episode. Division III schools cannot hold tryouts, period.

One last mystery, I looked ahead to November 29 and I see they are repeating the Joe White death show from last year (again). I've looked for media reports/interviews, etc., and I cannot find anything as to why Terry O'Quinn wanted to leave the show? It isn't as if he had a huge role, just wondering if it was a Lenkov decision to continue erasing people from McGarret's life, or if O'Quinn said he didn't want to do the character any more?

Regarding the bolded: I don’t know who decided the Joe White character should die, or why (other than we get to see Alex exhibit more manpain onscreen, which is something he does well). But Terry currently appears in Perpetual Grace LTD, a show which streams/otherwise airs on the Epix channel; he also has, or will have, a role on Emergence, which airs on ABC (I think).

16 hours ago, Raja said:

I have been worried about Taylor Wily for a few seasons now, especially when Flippa started showing up solo on occasion. Sumo wrestlers do have a relatively low life span expectancy.

I noticed he hasn't been on a lot in the past couple of seasons.  I also saw a behind the scenes pic, that looked like he might be wearing some kind of compression or massaging sleeves for his feet and legs.  You could barely see it and it looks like they aren't putting him in shorts like they used to.  Hopefully, it's something minor.

Is Siobahn and Bonnie synonymous?  I never knew that to be the case.  It was confusing because Grover was alternating between the names, and at one point at the end, I think the niece says she goes by Bonnie.  I couldn't have cared less for this niece storyline.  The minute she came out of the airport with the steely eyes and "don't bother me" attitude, I knew immediately there was some kind of backstory.  And then we learned it was fighting and a suspension.  Meh, I don't really even care if she was being noble.  Where did Grover's kids go?  College?  They left the island?  Wasn't the boy dating Danny's daughter for a while?

The DEA agent was so smug that alarm bells immediately went off in my head.  Yet only Quinn had some concerns.  Seems like they should have checked him out immediately when they started working together, no?

I guess Metta World Peace never changed his name back.

So no Danno in this episode.  Seems like the team has one too many people now with Junior, Adam, Tani, and Quinn new to the fold and needing screen time. 

1 hour ago, greyhorse said:

Where did Grover's kids go?  College? 

Yes. Will & Grace (Danny's kid) just started college this year (although I don't think we know which college(s)). Grover's daughter (I can't think of her name, despite the fact I think they mentioned it in the episode) went off to college a few years back (in fact, shouldn't she be graduating soon?). First episode this season, Grover mentioned that he and his wife were "empty-nesters" and therefore their house was too big & they wanted to downsize (which apparently they did to this condo/apartment).

I was confused about the Grover's living space.  At first I thought "Wow, this niece must be quite the athlete, if the university basketball booster club is ponying up for her to stay at this fancy hotel/condo for her tryouts."  Then Grover and his gorgeous wife were there too, kind of like they were taking advantage of the freebie, and I was thinking "Oh sure, they're alllll about the family, but they're not welcoming their niece into their actual home?"  Then only during their devil's advocate discussion on the lanai about taking their niece on as a responsibility did I twig to the fact that they were in their actual home, and that they'd moved out of their lovely house.  Then I vaguely recalled that downsizing discussion from earlier in the season.

High school graduation and college seemed to have come awfully fast for Grace and Will.  I think the writers had a hard time showing Grace really growing up, since Teilor Grubbs's availability for appearances seemed to be so limited, so her teen years seemed to be largely glossed over by offhand grumbling references from Danny or excuses for why Danny was absent ("Danny is on the mainland with Grace doing some college visits/cheerleader competitions/tryouts so he's out this week.")

On 11/16/2019 at 7:49 PM, preeya said:

Re: Eddie the dog, very unlikely a Labrador Retriever would attack anyone

He's not a pure Lab. He has some Chow in him (black on the tongue). And he was a military dog so of course he would attack.

9 hours ago, illdoc said:

Yes. Will & Grace (Danny's kid) just started college this year (although I don't think we know which college(s)). Grover's daughter (I can't think of her name, despite the fact I think they mentioned it in the episode) went off to college a few years back (in fact, shouldn't she be graduating soon?). First episode this season, Grover mentioned that he and his wife were "empty-nesters" and therefore their house was too big & they wanted to downsize (which apparently they did to this condo/apartment).

Grover’s daughter’s first name is Samantha. I’m thinking she should be about halfway, or more, through (undergrad) college, but not quite ready to graduate yet, & she shouldn’t be ready for grad school yet either.

8 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I was confused about the Grover's living space.  At first I thought "Wow, this niece must be quite the athlete, if the university basketball booster club is ponying up for her to stay at this fancy hotel/condo for her tryouts."  Then Grover and his gorgeous wife were there too, kind of like they were taking advantage of the freebie, and I was thinking "Oh sure, they're alllll about the family, but they're not welcoming their niece into their actual home?"  Then only during their devil's advocate discussion on the lanai about taking their niece on as a responsibility did I twig to the fact that they were in their actual home, and that they'd moved out of their lovely house.  Then I vaguely recalled that downsizing discussion from earlier in the season.

High school graduation and college seemed to have come awfully fast for Grace and Will.  I think the writers had a hard time showing Grace really growing up, since Teilor Grubbs's availability for appearances seemed to be so limited, so her teen years seemed to be largely glossed over by offhand grumbling references from Danny or excuses for why Danny was absent ("Danny is on the mainland with Grace doing some college visits/cheerleader competitions/tryouts so he's out this week.")

Teilor & her family moved to LA (so it would hopefully help Teilor’s career) early in Season 7; if I counted right, Grace should’ve been 14 then—as I remember, the character was a year older than Teilor is. So she (Grace) should’ve been 16 last season, when she was in the car accident & she should be 17 this season, & of reasonably close age to be a High School graduate/College Freshman (I graduated High School when I was 17; by the time I started College, without taking off more than the time between my graduation day & the first day of the fall semester at my chosen College [no “gap year”, etc.], I was 18 thanks to a summer birthday).

I liked Lou's plot better because I like the actor, and I just can't buy Adam being useful at anything in the field. It's so ridiculous.

I would have liked the show to take a creative risk and have Steve feel guilty because he was relieved Doris died.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 1