Type keyword(s) to search

S39.E06: Suck It Up Buttercup

Whimsy
Message added by Whimsy

It is understandable that what transpired between Jamal and Jack is going to cause discussion.  I can't, and don't want to, try to prohibit any thoughtful discussion.  But, we do need to remember our "Be Civil" rule.  Posts that diverge from the rule and start to get too personal against your fellow posters will be removed.  Additionally, if you and another poster are just not agreeing with each other, instead of going back-and-forth (and back-and-forth), agree to disagree and move on.  

• Start Topic

Rival alliances go head to head over a powerful player, and one castaway must decide if they are daring enough to take on a risky task after visiting the Island of the Idols.

Original airdate 10/30/19

All I had to hear was Elizabeth scream “tarantula!” to be reminded why I will never do this show. 

I wonder if they ever caught the chickens Wendy liberated last season.

I really wanted Elaine and her naive country girl shtick to go home.  Her novelty has worn off.  And I really don’t like the rest of OldLairo on that tribe.  I seriously hope their arrogance is blindsided big time (especially Aaron).

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 11

Wow!  I wish Aaron had gone instead of Jason, but I'll take it.  Did I see him vote Jason?  wtf?

Tommy can go anytime too.

Donuts?  I do my Survivor with vodka, so this may be a bit disjointed.

Stupid of the old Volkai on the new Larro to win that challenge. 

Starstruck Elaine almost loses the advantage.  Smart play confiding with Elizabeth for help. 

What if she just reached out, stopped the sand from flowing, and said "Now let's talk"?  

After 39 seasons, hundreds of challenges and millions of posts:

Enough with the chickens.

Kill them all (humanely) now.  Have a feast tonight.  Be done with it.

Dan is pawing everybody's bags?  Emerging target.

• Love 12

Sorry, Aaron for all the vile things I said about you when I thought you were voting out Elaine.

That would have be an idiotic move of Reichenbach proportions.  He would have put himself at the bottom of a 4-3 split in his own tribe and almost certainly would have been the next to go.

Lauren goes from a cutthroat, BIG move making assassin, to a weepy little crybaby.  Pathetic.

I think Elizabeth, Jack, Elaine, Kellee and Janet are the only people left who I can stand.  I can't believe it, but Noura is probably my next favorite after them now.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 19

I like Elaine and was so afraid Aaron would jump to the bro alliance. Rob and Sandra are amused by her too. 

I finally figured out which is Aaron and which is Jason and Jason gets booted. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 12

I’ve been pretty down on Jamal since episode 2, but dang if that moment with Jack didn’t get me in the feels.  After last season, and what Julia said occurred, I don’t think they were going to make that mistake again.

So the tribe with the 4-4 divide gets the block a vote advantage?  Yeah, I’m sure that was random.  And how would they have explained her not having a vote if she didn’t succeed?  As far as I know, no one has revealed when they don’t have a vote.      

Jack has the hair, but Ozzy/Malcolm/Joe he is not when it comes to the challenges. 

When TPTB came up with the theme and title this season, I wonder if they meant for everyone to think IOTI was full of actual idols, or if this is something else they didn’t think through.

• Love 13

That was great.  It was awesome.  I like Jason.  But, this episode was just great.

- Underdog team wins immunity
- Jamal's whole moment with Jack, and Jamal's little speech after that made me tear up
- Elaine being great
- Aaron and Missy totally fooling me

Damn, the whole thing was good.  Tribal was sooooo dramatic.  Lauren CRYING!  I thought she was out too.  I love how classily Jason handled his exit.  I'm not getting the red underline under "Classily" so I guess it is a word.

8 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I’ve been pretty down on Jamal since episode 2, but dang if that moment with Jack didn’t get me in the feels. 

Same!!!!!!!!!!!!   

I've decided that I might like Jamal, and that no matter what, I have to like Aaron, because he is SO beautiful.  That body, oh my GOD.  He's…… wow.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 20

Elaine ruled tonight. She earned an advantage and actually used it. I give her credit for not using her mother's death to gain sympathy votes. I noticed she's not getting the same amount of screen time that Donathan received.

• Love 19

Wow, they really had me going with that vote. I thought Aaron was completely deadset on Elaine. I wonder what brought him back around.

Well, honestly it was the right call. If he and Missy flipped when their original group has a clear advantage out in the open, who would trust them after that?

I don't really think Rob and Sandra are living in a shelter. they are having margaritas with Jeff behind the scenes. (Mark Ritas for any real old time viewers ;).

I do think Noura is crazy.

• LOL 4
  • Love 15

I'm sorry but Lauren's boo-hooing had me rolling my eyes. It's all fun and awesome when she's blind siding others. I'm sure that woman, was it Molly, dreamed of playing Survivor for years too. And Lauren was all too happy and giddy to blind side her. And I mean it's not like I cared about Molly being blind sided. But don't come boo-hoo when the shoe's on the other foot and suddenly you're not the one controlling the game. 

That said, what I don't get is why Jason and company didn't just wreak havoc at tribal when Elaine showed her advantage. I know they wanted to believe the plan was still on but at that point, with the power completely in the other's side hand, they had no way of knowing this. Especially as Jason himself commented on how quickly and easily it was for Aaron to be willing to throw one of his own under the bus.

Aaron didn't even wait for them to lose to come and let Jason and company know he was all to ready to get rid of Elaine. Why would you trust this person? YMMV and hindsight is of course 20/20 and we can all say what we would have done sitting on our couches but I just feel like at that point, Jason and company should have said "fuck it" and go for broke.

And basically let Elaine know that Aaron and Missy were all set to throw her under the bus in a heartbeat. So she needed to think about that when voting to keep their "four strong" because that four is not strong. And she's not a part of said four in Aaron and Missy's eyes. Maybe she'd go for it or maybe not but let's face it, what did they have to lose since as we saw, Jason went home anyway. 

Speaking of, I think in the end Aaron changed his mind on the plan because it would have been one thing to flip when it was 4-4 and he could declare it was a fear of going to rocks and putting his fate in that. But to get rid of Elaine when they had the numbers, thanks to her advantage would have infuriated Elizabeth, who was clearly not in on that plan and have him completely at the other four's mercy with a pissed off Elizabeth, likely not willing to work with and trust him at all. Wasn't worth it in the end.

And if a merge comes the next tribal, he would be going in with his original tribe in the numbers and again Elizabeth not trusting him and Dean and Karishma also likely not wanting to work with him and other tribe knowing how untrustworthy he is. In the long run, it just didn't make sense. 

• Love 13
8 minutes ago, PaperTree said:

Wow!  I wish Aaron had gone instead of Jason, but I'll take it.  Did I see him vote Jason?  wtf?

Tommy can go anytime too.

Donuts?  I do my Survivor with vodka, so this may be a bit disjointed.

Stupid of the old Volkai on the new Larro to win that challenge. 

Starstruck Elaine almost loses the advantage.  Smart play confiding with Elizabeth for help. 

What if she just reached out, stopped the sand from flowing, and said "Now let's talk"?  

After 39 seasons, hundreds of challenges and millions of posts:

Enough with the chickens.

Kill them all (humanely) now.  Have a feast tonight.  Be done with it.

Dan is pawing everybody's bags?  Emerging target.

I was half wondering if she was supposed to stop the sand, and that was going to be part of the challenge.

I don't blame OldVokai for being upset.  And really, Elaine's tribe was more than willing to throw her under the bus.  If she had any idea, maybe she wouldn't have been so willing to work with them.  But really, they went in thinking, at worst, they'd have to draw rocks.  And then that happens.  And they still thought Elaine was the plan.  So yeah, I'd probably be upset in their shoes, too.  OldLairo would have reacted the same way if the situation were reversed.  They weren't even willing to entertain a rock option.  Times like this I wish someone had a super idol to play and save Jason, just to see the reaction on Missy and Aaron's faces when they knew they were screwed.

And BTW, Tommy/Lauren/Dan will probably go back to thinking they are in control next episode.  Aaron and Jamal got blindsided, and their arrogance only got worse in thinking they were in control still.

But I do have to agree...Aaron is very nice to look at.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

I think Tommy is a moron and a horrible actor.  That act at Tribal?  LOL.  "I'll remember this night for the rest of my life."  I'm sure that Aaron and Jason were like dial it down; Jesus!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 12
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

That was great.  It was awesome.  I like Jason.  But, this episode was just great.

- Underdog team wins immunity
- Jamal's whole moment with Jack, and Jamal's little speech after that made me tear up
- Elaine being great
- Aaron and Missy totally fooling me

Damn, the whole thing was good.  Tribal was sooooo dramatic.  Lauren CRYING!  I thought she was out too.  I love how classily Jason handled his exit.  I'm not getting the red underline under "Classily" so I guess it is a word.

Same!!!!!!!!!!!!   

I've decided that I might like Jamal, and that no matter what, I have to like Aaron, because he is SO beautiful.  That body, oh my GOD.  He's…… wow.

Jason did not handle that classily! (and I got the red underline)

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

So I take it Aaron will not be getting the Sia money this season? 

I am glad to see the Old Lairo survive intact this episode. I am probably in the minority here but I like the Aaron and Missy duo, or is it trio now since Aron seemed to included Elizabeth as in with the two of them.

Tommy can leave anytime now.  I can't put my finger on why but he annoys me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I wonder how they decided on Jason. I think I would had gone for Dan after he got caught going through bags.

In a cast of mostly likeable or inoffensive people or people I feel neutral to good about, Dan is just the worst.  I hate this guy.  I don't even mind Noura at all.  I reserve the right to change my mind later.  But so far so good.

Elaine had a small confessional towards the end where she said she thought Jason was smart, so she had him in her sights.  It was this clip of like 20 rapid fire confessionals from different people one after another, and no matter how many times I rewound it I couldn't pay attention to all of it.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, vb68 said:

I wonder how they decided on Jason. I think I would had gone for Dan after he got caught going through bags.

I was thinking it was going to be Dan or Tommy.  Surprised they went with Jason, as he was really the last of the 4 I expected to see leave.  Maybe because he didn't have a vote?  

Where are we at with idols?  Just Kellee and Jamal that have them?

Something about Elizabeth just bugs.  I can't exactly pinpoint what it is, but I'm just not digging her.

Also, I loved the look on Dean's face when Noura was proposing working together and axing Jamal.  Reminded me of someone who was praying for a bolt of lightening to strike down and put him out of his misery.

In a cast of mostly likeable or inoffensive people or people I feel neutral to good on, Dan is just the worst.  I hate this guy.  I don't even mind Noura at all.  I reserve the right to change my mind later.  But so far so good.

I don't like Dan, either.  In fact he's the only one from OldVokai that I don't like.  Noura is just entertaining.  Like, I want her around just to see what crazy thing she does or says next.  And I really want her to return to IOTI just to see Rob and Sandra scramble to the top of their McMansion that production Rob built.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, vb68 said:

They must think Jason is a bigger social and strategic threat, while Feely Dan would be an easier boot later on.

• LOL 5
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Something about Elizabeth just bugs.  I can't exactly pinpoint what it is, but I'm just not digging her.

Once again, I'm with you.  I can't help but dislike what a bad liar/ fake she is.  

11 minutes ago, Bryce Lynch said:

They must think Jason is a bigger social and strategic threat, while Feely Dan would be an easier boot later on.

FEELY DAN.  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

There has seriously been NO story about Dan besides him touching people inappropriately or him going through people's shit inappropriately.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6

I may be sick of Elaine's "aww shucks" attitude and I'm not really a fan, but I think Aaron did the right thing in sticking with his old tribe. I was convinced he'd be going with the other four but realized, at the very last moment when it was a tie, that Aaron doesn't benefit better going with the Vokai, since he'll STILL be at the bottom with them. 

I don't know if this was a good move on Aaron's part, but man if I didn't love it. Another surprise at Tribal Council. 

I'm not surprised at Jason being upset either. He just got blindsided so I think he's earned it. Aaron was just fist bumping him not even five minutes earlier so he truly thought he was good. I did like Jason, for the most part, so I'm a bit sad to see him go.

Aaron and Missy are still willing to get rid of Elaine, but they seemed to realize that this Tribal Council wasn't the time for them. They needed the advantage. Except Missy benefits more since Aaron was the one who outright betrayed the other side of their tribe so he'll get more of the backlash of someone not to be trusted.

That moment with Jamal and Jack was really interesting and I liked seeing it. It endeared me to Jamal, and made me remember now that there's a guy named Jack!

To be honest, I don't remember what Dan's done in this game. Now, the only thing I'll remember of him at this moment is him going through bags. I don't remember what he's done in the previous five episodes so....guess he isn't that important! Similarly to Jack, who was a non-entity until his segment with Jamal. 

I still don't have anyone really that I'm hardcore rooting for. Maybe Kellee? Maybe Missy?

• Love 4

I'm tired of the challenges that involve basketball. I feel like we've had a lot of those back to back to back. I miss the old school swimming/rafting/diving challenges that really took a tribe's full strength. There's no way that Lairo would have won immunity if that had been the case.

Liked the Jamal/Jack talk.

That tribal was ridiculous. SO overdramatic, but I had to laugh and laugh. Lauren, why are you crying? And Tommy "I'll remember this for the rest of my life". Dude, chill out. I'm not a fan of Elaine right now, because that's my mom's name and she and I aren't speaking. But I'm glad Aaron stayed because he's really good eye candy.

I still enjoy Rob and Sandra and I might just be the only one. Hell, I'd like to be on an island alone with Rob period.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 16
10 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I still don't have anyone really that I'm hardcore rooting for. Maybe Kellee? Maybe Missy?

I do like Kellee the most.  I like a lot of people, but I really like Kellee.

10 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

I still enjoy Rob and Sandra and I might just be the only one. Hell, I'd like to be on an island alone with Rob period.

Now I'm picturing myself on an island alone with Aaron…..

12 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

To be honest, I don't remember what Dan's done in this game. Now, the only thing I'll remember of him at this moment is him going through bags. I don't remember what he's done in the previous five episodes so....guess he isn't that important!

Molesting everyone

• Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3

FANTASTIC episode all around. Loved Dean/Jamal conversation about Noura, really enjoyed Jamal’s African dancing and the heart to heart with Jack. Elaine was pure gold at Idols Island. I was so nervous during the challenge and when she dropped the advantage...oh my goodness! 

So glad Aaron stuck with the group, I was going to be so mad if he voted Elaine. But really they should’ve voted out the ginger. 

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

And Tommy "I'll remember this for the rest of my life". Dude, chill out.

Didn't Tommy say the exact same thing about the Applebee's reward last week?  I think he did.

I think that must be one of Tommy's go to phrases when he's trying to emphasize something.  

• LOL 20
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I do like Kellee the most.  I like a lot of people, but I really like Kellee.

Now I'm picturing myself on an island alone with Aaron…..

Molesting everyone

I was trying to remember something Dan did that was deemed as creepy in the first (second?) episode.  Now I remember why I think he's a sleaze.  

And I think I'll keep the rest of my Aaron comments to myself so I'm not branded a sleaze.

I like Kellee, too.  Honestly there's no one I'm really rooting for, or even actively against.  Elizabeth and Dan can be the next to go and then I'm good.  There's people I like, but Kellee stands out so far as who I'm really rooting for.

And I want Noura to make the jury.  I hope she's the first or second juror, just to see what poor soul has to be stuck alone with her. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Jamal's "One To Grow On" moment with Jack? Gonna be replayed at the Reunion after Jamal wins. I felt that way when Ben had his shell shock moment, and I reckon that scene indicates a win for Jamal.

At least Tribal was interesting. I root for Elaine because her type (older ladies) don't get much love. She almost blew the advantage pick-up, but she got it, negated Jason, and she's still in the game.  And she had a good time with the Idols. And they had a good time at Tribal. So it's all good. Well, except I can't seem to depend on a guy with my name not looking like a jackass on this show.

Hey, Karishma got an episode off from the drama. Good for her.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
42 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:
48 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

But I do have to agree...Aaron is very nice to look at.

Oh…… so…….. nice………

In my dreams:

In an upcoming episode, it's up to several women's choice to vote for Aaron or one of the very skinny, muscle challenged, bad hair, guys.  A couple of the women stand up at the fire and announce:

We have a majority of votes.

We are keeping Aaron because he's so nice to look at.

So sorry Tweek, but you aren't adding anything to the landscape. Bye,bye.

(Or would Probst make sure it was edited out.)

• LOL 6
53 minutes ago, tvgoddess said:

I'm tired of the challenges that involve basketball. I feel like we've had a lot of those back to back to back. I miss the old school swimming/rafting/diving challenges that really took a tribe's full strength. There's no way that Lairo would have won immunity if that had been the case.

Oh how I long for the challenge where the tribes are carrying weight, tethered together while walking in a circle in the water and if someone drops out someone else has to take their weight.  That challenge was amazing.  Oh Ulong, you didn’t stand a chance.

• Love 20
4 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Forgetting the association with thugs.  Jamal was unhappy because Jack saying "Move your durag" to him reminded him that Jack sees Jamal as black first, and a friend or ally second or third. When someone sees your race first before simply seeing you as a human being, it's dehumanizing. That's what upset Jamal.  

Who said it means he saw Jamal as black FiRST?

That was Jamal's assumption.

Jamal seems to be the one who is prejudiced against men who wear doorags, and perhaps against black men in general.  I get the sense that Jack doesn't have any negative generalizations about black men, but, sadly, Jamal does.

• Love 18
48 minutes ago, vb68 said:

They are reminding me more and more of Statler and Waldorf from The Muppets.

There was one point where Rob had to shush Sandra because she was getting too excited and giggling loudly at Elaine's "Suck it up, buttercup."

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, tvgoddess said:

Hell, I'd like to be on an island alone with Rob period.

Ah tvgoddess,  I see your Rob love is still as strong as ever, lol. Speaking of Rob and Sandra, I was amused how into the tribal council Sandra was, while Rob just looked amused at how into it she was. 

• Love 14
22 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

How did he rake him over the coals for hours? When Jack first apologized, Jamal quietly accepted it but told Jack honestly that he needed some time to deal with what Jack said in his own way and time.

He didn't yell, he didn't attack Jack.  He simply expressed his feelings quietly and calmly. And then when he was ready to fully get past the situation, later that night, they had another calm and mature conversation about it. 

Maybe because everyone knows that these things are called buffs. Jeff actually uses the term and that's how it's always been described as and referred to as. So for Jack to refer to it, while Jamal was handling his, as a "doo-rag", was yes, odd and strangely out of the ordinary. 

I hate these conversations so much because at the end of the day, there is no way to get across that how someone feels is not wrong just because that's not what the other person's intention was. And that is essentially what Jamal appreciated about Jack's response to what he felt.

That Jack didn't get defensive, he didn't go, "I'm not a racist, how dare you, that's not how I meant it". Because at the end of the day, no matter what his intention was, someone was offended and hurt and to dismiss that without any consideration of that person's experience is not how people grow and learn. 

Also, having an Ivy League education doesn't automatically make Jamal stop being a black man in a very racially divisive society. Because I know we're not going to pretend that's not a reality.

Botham Jean was a college educated Christian man and he got gunned down in his own apartment by a trigger happy police officer. I highly doubt if Jamal is pulled over by a cop, his Ivy League education will suddenly exempt him from any prejudice.

The Botham Jean shooting was about a nervous, confused, incompetent cop, who didn't know she was in someone else's apartment and shot the "intruder" she foolishly perceived to be in "her" apartment.  It is highly unlikely race was a factor.

But, it is certainly racist to assume Jack (who showed nothing but admiration and affection toward Jamal) was racist because of what some other white person did a year earlier, thousands of miles away.

Yeah, some real racism still exists.  But, convincing yourself something that obviously wasn't racist, was, is foolish and destructive.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Ah tvgoddess,  I see your Rob love is still as strong as ever, lol. Speaking of Rob and Sandra, I was amused how into the tribal council Sandra was, while Rob just looked amused at how into it she was. 

😊 My hardcore crush on Rob from Day 1 has never really gone away. I wish I knew how to quit him.

He wasn't so prophetic in saying that Lairo would never win another challenge though. And damn if I can't keep these tribes straight. I have no clue who is on which one.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6