Type keyword(s) to search

S28.E07: Halloween Night

• Start Topic

Just now, vdw84 said:

I pro. would have voted for Karamo too only because I think he was finally coming into his own whereas kate to me has been slowly falling behind, I didnt really care for her rumba nor her dance last week, too stiff and I love her but I would have to base it on where the two r at now and karamo wins it for me but again neither one deserved to go home of pillsbury doeboy.

I don't agree.  Karamo was better this week but I LOVED Kate's dance last week.  I've watched it so many times and I actually quite like her rumba too.  It's far from perfect, the rumba, I mean.  It looks like she had a little screw up at the very beginning and clearly she's less comfortable in the more intimate sexy dances, but once she got into it her technique looked pretty good for the most part and her routine was pretty content filled.

To me Karamo is a good performer but I find a lot of his dances more flash than substance re: his technique and Kate is kind of the opposite.  Though she's a good performer in the dances that fall more in her regular wheelhouse as a performer (her quickstep, foxtrot, etc.)

But of course it's subjective.  What is not subjective is that they are both miles better than Spicer.

• Love 10

Unless Sean wins we will know he was always pulling the most votes every week, but I suspect he's getting maybe the 4th or 5th best votes and it's just enough to pass the ones that are merely a few points ahead of him in scores. Kate and Karamo could be the bottom 2 in votes and if Sean has the 5th highest votes, he's out of the bottom 2. 

Now that Karamo is gone, he was someone with a smaller fanbase, I wonder if it'll now lead to the likes of Ally or Kate hitting it again, or Sean finally slips in there.

The judges NEED to get harsher in the scores. Literally give everyone left 9's and even some 10's and leave Sean with 6's or 7's and he'll finally at least be the second lowest total and they will send him home.

Usually every season I always want my favorites to win. but after last season I'll just take someone that can dance, whether I like them or not.

I've seen some people say they wouldn't want Lauren to win because of the Bobby connection, but she'd be a FAR better winner than Bobby and she's actually improving and getting good scores and coming off as likable.

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, babyhouseman said:

It was speculated that Hannah is getting a lot of votes, and that's why the judges are tougher. I don't know. She does have that pageant face like she's got Vaseline on her teeth. lol 

I didn't need to see Sean Spicer crawling on the floor like a bad Johnny Castle. Somebody put him a corner please. 

Hannah has the biggest fanbase out everyone, I dont think its anything the judges can say or do to stop the voting for her. She will be in the finals regardless of her critiques and scores, u can bet ur ass on that. Im not fan of her nor her dancing but she will be in that finals, so Alan u will be choreographing another freestyle buddy.

I only feel bad for karamo because he truly was enjoying himself and he really wanted to be there. I could care less about his partner because JJ came for people who were truly upset last season over Joe outstaying great dancers and she had the nerve to act all bitchy on twitter, so now she finally get to know how it feels and why stuff like that isnt fair and people have a right to angry and complain esp. if they voted.

24 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

All of this.  And that is exactly why Tom expressed his disappointment at the casting and I was 100% with him. He made it clear that it wasn't a Democrat vs Republican thing for him but simply that the show was meant to be this fun, light hearted, feel good show. And the bottom line was casting someone SO divisive was guaranteed to take some of the light-hearted feel good element away.

Not only that, Tom has been there since the beginning along with the judges (with Len sitting a few out) so he has to deal with new show runners who always think they know how to ‘fix’ the show. He barely gets involved with the showmances aside from Robert and Kim and that’s just fluff.  So for him to speak up to say “I’m not feeling this and I’m disappointed” says a lot. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
19 minutes ago, PBGamer89 said:

I've seen some people say they wouldn't want Lauren to win because of the Bobby connection, but she'd be a FAR better winner than Bobby and she's actually improving and getting good scores and coming off as likable.

I don't want Lauren to win both because Bobby Bones would be insufferable and because I don't want Gleb to be rewarded for his awful behavior every other season.  Also I don't remotely think she's better than anyone left besides Spicer, but that said I agree she's miles above a Bobby win so it wouldn't be a travesty in that way.  It's just having to deal with Bobby.

• Love 4

Eh, anyone would be fine winning over Sean. Hell, even Bobby would be better than Sean if they were competing in the same season. Bobby is a "7" dancer whereas Sean is a "5" or a "6" dancer. Not up to the caliber of Juan Pablo, but Bobby is better than Sean. However, I didn't like Bobby's attitude on his season, whereas while I don't like Sean politically, his attitude itself on the show has been fine. 

But James is the best of this season, bar none. I'm cautiously optimistic that he won't get the Juan Pablo treatment because he's better known.

ETA: Week 7 and no 10s yet!

Edited by madpsych78
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

ETA: Week 7 and no 10s yet!

I don’t think anyone in this cast has deserved a 10–choreography, performance, technique.  But, I’m sure the judges will give someone a 10 soon, deserving or not.      They know people are looking for them.  From what I’ve read, people would prefer the 10s go to James or Kate.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MikaelaArsenault said:

Why is Sean Spicer even still in this?

Spite. Spicer's playing Frankenstein was redundant. He's so bad he almost makes me miss Master P.

James' VW & Team Trick were the dances of the night for their elegance, originality & sex appeal. James' mistake didn't bother me because it was still way better than anything Spicer did.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

Karamo was the worst dancer after Sean, but at least he continues to improve and can manage most of the steps and rhythm so that its  not painful to watch. Sean's like a "5" to Karamo's "7"  with everyone else an 8, 9 or 10.

There will hopefully come a time when Sean--whoclearly realizes he's the worst--will hopefully start being embarrassed to be eliminating others based on Trump supporters' voting.

If it goes on another week (and someone so much better would be eliminated, probably Kel or Kate), then I'd be in favor of Sean winning the whole thing--and ratings declining accordingly. The producers knew what they were doing (Bristol Palin).

They should give Sean Spicer the Mirror Ball for the worst finals dancing ever seen, ruin this season, lose viewers, --and stop doing it.

• Love 3

I love Halloween week!  The costume and makeup department killlllllllled tonight.  Loved seeing the individual dance get ups get very elaborate.

I found the team dances underwhelming this year.  Both seemed low energy.  I didn’t think the first team dance showed up very well on TV since it was so dark.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, HappyDancex2 said:

I didn’t think the first team dance showed up very well on TV since it was so dark.

At times, they kind of reminded me of that one episode of "Are You Afraid of the Dark?" where these shadow people appeared every time a kid put on some weird glasses. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, JenLily said:

When they called Sean's name, my rage-scream was so loud and sustained that Mr. Lily, who was watching TV upstairs, ran down in a fright because he thought something actually happened to me. 😂

I didn't see the slip-up they pointed out in James's dance either but I don't know that I would've cared because the rest of it was amazing. I did see Lauren's slip but I was impressed at how well she managed to recover from it. I don't understand why they gave Kel such high marks; his dance was nowhere near all 9s. I hate the rumba but I thought Kate did a lovely job and I am again so dazzled by Pasha and his choreography. I'm sad that Karamo left tonight because I really think he's starting to hit his stride but I'm glad that Kate was saved. I don't really understand why they were so harsh with Hannah, especially considering she did a jazz number. They're usually so generous with jazz and contemporary, and I don't think that she did so much worse than anyone else. Ally was. . . there, I guess. Something about her doesn't really resonate with me but I'd still rather she be there than Sean. Casting really fucked up by putting him on this season.

Count me in with all the others praising hair, makeup, and costuming. Everyone looked amazing tonight!

I agree with most of this! I didn't think Kel's dance was awful, but I didn't think it was worthy of all 9's and din't understand the purpose of the whole snake thing. 

Was definitely impressed with how Lauren recovered from that slip. I didn't really notice whatever slip James had and the dance was still awesome!

I was so glad Kate was saved. I think if she was in the bottom two with anyone else - other than Sean - she probably would have been gone, unfortunately. Also, nice to see the praise for Pasha because he really has been awesome with her and his choreography is great.

I get Carrie Ann's criticism of Hannah. I felt a little bad for her when she almost started crying during the critique for Team Trick, but for me, she hasn't really improved. Like, I wasn't paying very close attention to their rehearsal package, but I thought she mentioned the dance was supposed to put aside the beauty pageant stuff but as soon as she started the first thing I noticed was that plastic smile. Even when she was being critiqued or being interviewed by Erin she kept these canned answers that were so fake. There was a look on her face at times during the dance that just felt awkward.

If Sean isn't going to be booted out, I'd love it if they stopped giving us hope and waited to save him until the very end. I'm at least glad for the second night in a row someone deserving and talentless got rightfully booed. 

I'm glad the judges, at least, did what I suggested and accurately (for the most part) judged Sean and gave him 6s. I think they did their best to push him out the door and they looked really upset Sean was still around. I'm hoping whatever this dance-off is next week might do the trick.

• Love 4

Yeah, this will keep happening now. Neither Kate nor Kamaro should have gone, but it will be difficult to get Spicer into that bottom two. I'm not sure it's impossible, but he'd probably need to be against people who get a lot of votes (James? Hannah? Lauren?) and get realistic scores. Because he is so much weaker than everybody else. And I was glad the judges finally didn't give him "Oh, you were there and breathing" pity scores, but at least somewhat appropriate ones compared to everyone else. They need to keep that going.

I actually thought Kate's rumba had very nice choreo, the costumes and setting was nice, she had a lot of content and her footwork was good. But yeah, it's out of her comfort zone and she was tentative. Still, I think she's doing much better at latin now than at the beginning of the season (look at her cha cha) and it was a good effort. It's just the kind of dance that doesn't play to her strengths. I also think that Pasha is very smart in the way he just works to his strengths, teaches her and doesn't try to camouflage too much etc. In the hands of a lesser pro, rumba had the potential to be cringeworthy for Kate. But he didn't play it for laughs or concentrate too much on showmanship (always a temptation at Halloween), therefore making it possible for her to put in a solid effort. Not her best, but a good dance. This could have been a real trainwreck if done wrong.

James was super awesome. And I take back what I said about Emma's choreography; the last two weeks she has been brilliant. Lauren's dance was actually really good too, I thought. Which leaves us with the Gleb conumdrum: If he's perfectly capable of producing decent dances like this week and last, why does he chose to go the sleazy and/or nonsense route so often? It's frustrating. Kel was really good as well, just hampered by the stupid set the producers gave him. You could barely see the two of them. I'm sad to see Karamo go, he wasn't the best technical dancer or anything, but he had fun being there and was entertaining to watch.

• Love 9

Even the judges 6s didn't do a damn thing to bring Spicer's votes down. 😡 If these idiot producers haven't learned anything from this and last season, then ABC should just clean house and hire new producers that know what the hell they're doing.

• Love 6

The opening number is exactly the kind of stuff I expect for Halloween, but man there was a lot of filler before we actually got to the requisite spooky themed dancing. That is the inherent problem with Halloween week though - we get the same kinds of costumes, songs, dances, etc. every year because there's only so much you can do with this theme so it's Thriller, Monster Mash, ghosts, vampires, witches, shredded dresses, etc.

I liked Team Trick because although the song, costumes, and dancing fit the Halloween theme, nothing screamed Halloween cliche. On their own, the gold masks, the Rockwell, song, and the table dance were not strictly Halloween. Even combined together, this dance could have been done as a regular non-Halloween routine.

Team Treat's performance was much weaker overall. The main difference is that even when Team Trick was backlit and we were just watching their silhouettes, it was much harder to tell who was the pro and who was the celeb. With Team Treat, it was obvious who the celebs were. I don't know how much of that was a matter of the choreography versus the execution, but there you have it.

I have liked Kel since the first week, but his jive was not great. I kept noticing his floppy feet during the flicks. The camera work seemed designed to make him look as bad as possible. Maybe the lighting looked cool in person but it was terrible to watch on my screen.

James' Viennese waltz was good. When he commits to the character and gets the right carriage, he really pulls these dances off. His footwork looked pretty good too. Heh, I'm surprised they didn't have him as Frankenstein's monster so he could make fun of his own giant head.

Aly's tango was what I expect from her - lots of hair flinging. sloppy footwork, and mediocre dancing. Her carriage and head position were really weak. I could hear Johnny Castle admonishing her, "YOU GOTTA HOLD THE FRAME."

Hannah's jazz was another example why I wish the pros would just hire someone else to choreograph jazz routines. What the hell was supposed to be jazz about that dance?

Karamo's makeup was awesome! His paso doble wasn't bad but it made me wish he had a different partner (which is what I've thought every week). He's not the best dancer but he's coordinated. I think he could have done a lot better this season if he'd had a partner who gave him more content, taught him more technique, and didn't worry about spotlighting herself.

Lauren's Argentine tango wasn't bad but it was a little messy. her feet often seemed half a beat behind Gleb's which was rally distracting.

The less said about Stompy McStomperson, who can't even stay on the beat, the better.

I wish that I could tell you more about Kate's rumba but my sense were being assaulted. Between the horrible singer murdering "Wicked Game" and that FUCKING spinny camera making me want to vomit, I could barely pay attention to the actual dancing.

5 hours ago, Tish58 said:

Other than the producers being idiots and the always-ridiculous voting system, this program has NEVER really defined itself outside of the first season. Back then, it truly was "Which celeb with no dance experience has progressed the most as a dancer?" Within a few seasons, they started adding ringers, changing the original theme of the show.  They also added pros like Derek who would mostly get the pretty young starlets while the other male pros got Cloris Leachman or some older lady who just couldn't dance. DWTS hasn't defined itself in nearly, what--15 years now?

Which is it, showrunners? The best ringer or the best up-and-coming dancer? The most popular celeb or the most popular pro?

Even in S1, Joey McIntyre was being called a ringer because apparently the "dancing" he did in NKOTB gave him an edge. Both Drew Lachey ("Being in a boy band means you can dance and that's not faaaair!" - apparently none of those people had seen a 98 Degrees video before or they would have known that the group's "dancing" consisted of squatting, standing, and pointing) and Stacy Keibler got the same criticism in S2 ("she was a Nitro Girl and a professional cheerleader so she shouldn't even be on this show!").

But I agree - the show can't decide if they want to see someone's journey or if they want people who can actually dance.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Padma said:

Karamo was the worst dancer after Sean, but at least he continues to improve and can manage most of the steps and rhythm so that its  not painful to watch. Sean's like a "5" to Karamo's "7"  with everyone else an 8, 9 or 10.

It's a travesty that ANYONE was eliminated before Spicy because he's obviously the worst dancer this season. But now that we're getting further into the season, it's getting beyond ridiculous because there is a huge gap between him and everyone else.

I totally agree - Karamo has definitely been improving over the season. He can stay on the music and he is a fun performer to watch. None of those things can be said about Spicer. Yet somehow he's still here torturing us with his terrible dancing. As a former dancer, it's painful for me to see everyone kick at the same time except for ONE person. It's like the dance equivalent of nails on a chalkboard because it makes me shudder.

3 hours ago, Sarah Heart said:

Bones who won last season   is telling every to vote for Lauren  and not Hollywood  elite. As if Lauren needs his help,  she's good, very good

And as if anyone who competes on this show is Hollywood elite, especially this season. These are D listers. James Van Der Beek is the only one who's an easily recognizable actor who has worked steadily in Hollywood. The rest are retired athletes, reality show contestants, etc. which is NOT what I consider Hollywood elite.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Sarah Heart said:

Bones who won last season   is telling every to vote for Lauren  and not Hollywood  elite. 

In what universe are these people considered “Hollywood elite”? Contestants have always been D list celebrities and athletes past their prime looking to recapture (or stir up) a few minutes of fame. 

• Love 9

Are we sure Lauren could win this?  Even with the previous winner considered, she isn't that attention grabbing, or at least not for me.  I don't know, I tend to ignore her dances for whatever reason--not intentionally, but I just don't see that she could be getting the bulk of the votes (outside of the Spicer possibility--which he could be getting the stupid people votes).  

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

In what universe are these people considered “Hollywood elite”? Contestants have always been D list celebrities and athletes past their prime looking to recapture (or stir up) a few minutes of fame. 

Bobby is a first class moron and I agree these aren't the Hollywood elite, but I think he just means that the show is still populated with Hollywood types versus Lauren the big ole country girl from whatever southern state she's from.  Which is ridiculous anyway considering Hannah is from Alabama and only came to Hollywood for the Bachelor.

Plus when people use that term anyway, I get it I guess when you're talking about A-listers in their mansions and who are so removed from reality but most people in Hollywood did not originate in Hollywood.  They grew up in other parts of the country and had "normal" upbringings are used to working crap jobs while trying to make it.  Look at Kate.  She grew up in Philly as one of seven kids and I think her dad owned a bar.  Then she worked as a waitress for 30 years. Ooh.  So elite.

The only one of these people you could in affluence was Sailor, unless I'm forgetting someone.  And Sailor has other issues since I just read yesterday her dad is now engaged to a woman her age.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, alexa said:

Are we sure Lauren could win this?  Even with the previous winner considered, she isn't that attention grabbing, or at least not for me.  I don't know, I tend to ignore her dances for whatever reason--not intentionally, but I just don't see that she could be getting the bulk of the votes (outside of the Spicer possibility--which he could be getting the stupid people votes).  

I don't know if Lauren could win, but I think she will make it to the finals.  The only three whose votes I am 100% solid on besides Sean are Hannah, James and Lauren.  I know Lauren isn't the most dynamic dancer, but she's not a stranger to having to fight for votes on reality tv.  She came to the public via being the runner up on American Idol.  She has a likeable personality (to most, I know not everyone likes her), country has fans, she's got Bobby pushing for her, and she just fits the demos of the people that watch the show.  What I don't know is how her votes stack up next to Sean, Hannah and James.

I do think Kel, Kate and Ally are the ones most likely to be in trouble next and I think Kate got her one save the judges will give her unless they can manage to get her there versus Sean of course.  

• Love 3

It was a mistake casting Spicer. The show really needs to stop this stunt casting. I don't think he even brings any new viewers to the show, since a lot of his fans seem to blind vote. At least with Bobby Bones he has a real fanbase of millions. I really hope Spicer is out by the semi-finals. I think if he makes the finals we will know he could be top 2 or win, as if he had never been in the bottom at that point, he is getting a ton of votes.

I think the scores are bad this season. I feel like a lot of the women have been overscored (Ally, Sailor, Lauren). Then Hannah gets weird scores and critiques, and at times Kate's scores are off too. I hope James wins the season and Kel makes the finals. I've felt pretty underwhelmed by this season and cast.

Also the rule change was totally pointless since it does nothing. I can think of several better alternatives than what they instituted. I saw someone mention if a person is in the bottom 3 times they automatically go home which I think would be acceptable. Or in the first few weeks, the judges should just determine who is eliminated and that can weed out the worst ones like Sean, but after X amount of weeks it reverts to the fan vote. I also think this season once the judges are stuck making a controversial choice, they will probably get some backlash. For instance, the judges seem to love Ally so I could see them saving her over someone like Kel and I don't think fans would be happy about that.

• Love 9

The judges can whine all they want but they're the ones consistently overscoring Sean. Giving him 6s is way too generous for what that was. If they really wanted to get rid of him they'd give him such low scores that the votes couldn't save him. As it stands I bet we lose (at least) Lauren and Kel before Sean is finally put to pasture 😞

• Love 9

Does anyone besides me dislike Carrie Ann? She just comes off as a drunk ditz who can't stop laughing over nothing. I'd be happy with new judges altogether. Len is too old school for this type of competition and Bruno takes 10 years to get to his point (so does Carrie Ann).

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

The judges can whine all they want but they're the ones consistently overscoring Sean. Giving him 6s is way too generous for what that was. If they really wanted to get rid of him they'd give him such low scores that the votes couldn't save him. As it stands I bet we lose (at least) Lauren and Kel before Sean is finally put to pasture 😞

I always wondered why they marked the other guy so low every week ( I don't even remember which one--but he is voted out now!  lol ), and not Sean.  I mean they are pretty much the same.  Maybe at the time they thought Sean was trying harder, but they should see that he hasn't really had any improvement, so low scores would match his effort.

Maybe at this point, they should just look for ringers and only bring on people that have a chance at being able to dance.  At least that way whoever won could actually dance well, even if they weren't the most popular for everyone.  It would be kind of fun to have a season where everyone knocked it out of the park (instead of hanging on to so many that are just kind of blah).

• Love 4

Positive: Karamo’s attitude after being eliminated and the pros and other contestants hoisting him up on their shoulders as if he’d won. 

Negative: Tired of Hannah’s “I’m just a girl from a reality show” whining. She spent her life as a pageant girl in front of audiences where she had to perform talent pieces, which in her case were dance pieces, and she’s had years of dance training. Yes, that’s different from what is required for this show, but it’s a lot closer than the professions and experiences the other contestants come from.

This show, if it lasts past this season, needs to never cast a political figure ever again. Have they ever cast a non-conservative political figure? I can only remember Bristol Palin, Rick Perry, and now Spicer. I must be forgetting some. Probably a lot!

• Love 12
1 hour ago, spanana said:

Bobby is a first class moron and I agree these aren't the Hollywood elite, but I think he just means that the show is still populated with Hollywood types versus Lauren the big ole country girl from whatever southern state she's from.  Which is ridiculous anyway considering Hannah is from Alabama and only came to Hollywood for the Bachelor.

Plus when people use that term anyway, I get it I guess when you're talking about A-listers in their mansions and who are so removed from reality but most people in Hollywood did not originate in Hollywood.  They grew up in other parts of the country and had "normal" upbringings are used to working crap jobs while trying to make it.  Look at Kate.  She grew up in Philly as one of seven kids and I think her dad owned a bar.  Then she worked as a waitress for 30 years. Ooh.  So elite.

The only one of these people you could in affluence was Sailor, unless I'm forgetting someone.  And Sailor has other issues since I just read yesterday her dad is now engaged to a woman her age.

All of this. Frankly, as somebody from "middle America" who's never been even close to middle class, let alone rich, I'm sick and tired of people throwing around the term "Hollywood elite" and acting like they're standing up for us against those people or something. Most of the people complaining about them are elite in their own right and come off very out of touch with the working people, too, so they can frankly sit down. 

Also, the show is called "Dancing with the Stars". Having people from Hollywood on here is kind of the whole freaking point. If people don't want to mingle with the "Hollywood elite", then maybe don't sign up to be on this show? Just a thought. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 22
4 minutes ago, SHD said:

Positive: Karamo’s attitude after being eliminated and the pros and other contestants hoisting him up on their shoulders as if he’d won. 

I meant to mention this last night! His leaving was on a bright note! I think that everyone now realizes they could be in the same position. They all know that Spicer is going to last unfortunately!

• Love 7

So finally watched the dances this morning. Yeah Lauren's slip during the turn in that Argentine Tango was pretty damn noticeable, even though she did well to cover it up. But even without the slip, the dance was still meh because Lauren had none of the sex appeal and sultriness that makes an Argentine Tango really wow. The choreography wasn't much to write home about it either. It actually felt a bit rushed for an Argentine Tango. 

Hannah did well enough with what she was given but the dance in general was just utterly forgettable. Really surprised by Alan there because I swear that looked like some middle school dance number. Very basic and paint by numbers moves. I guess to be fair, that was really sucky song choice for a Jazz and on Halloween Night no less. Also, other than the Paso Doble where they had to make a whole storyline about getting her to be intense and serious, Hannah's default really is that damn pageant smile and it's exhausting. 

I didn't see any outright slip from James but that said, I have noticed a week or two ago that James is slightly pigeon toed. And so sometimes when he's doing the really fast footwork and spins, it can look a tiny bit out of sync or off. So that may have been what they were referring to, since there's such intricate footwork in a Viennese Waltz. Still a gorgeous dance and as usual, he performs the dance really well. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

whereas while I don't like Sean politically, his attitude itself on the show has been fine. 

Yeah, if Sean wasn't, well, Sean, and I only knew him from this show, I wouldn't dislike him. (I would still think he should have left by now, just based on his dancing ability, or lack thereof.)

8 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Spicer was not Frankenstein, he was the monster Dr. Frankenstein created. 

"Knowledge is knowing that Frankenstein is not the monster. Wisdom is knowing that Frankenstein is the monster." (--no idea who wrote that, but I love it)

1 hour ago, Jaclyn88 said:

Does anyone besides me dislike Carrie Ann? She just comes off as a drunk ditz who can't stop laughing over nothing.

She is the one most likely to make me mute my TV during the judges' comments. (Though if I were a judge on this show I'd probably need to be drunk, too.)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, spanana said:

I know Lauren is primarily country, but Bobby seems to not realize that she got her start from American Idol, one of the most Hollywood shows to go on. So, even though Lauren may not be completely Hollywood, she still got her start FROM Hollywood. 

And I like Lauren; I think she's been showing vast improvement over the last few weeks. I mean, yes, she doesn't have a great pro, but Lauren, herself, has been getting better. So, in terms of her getting to the finals, if she does, she would absolutely deserve it. Unlike Bobby last season, who should have gone way earlier because he was incapable of improving past a certain point. He was still making noticeable mistakes right through to the finale. 

And, for all of Sean's flaws, his attitude has been miles better than Bobby's. Sean hasn't been as disrespectful like Bobby was. Yes, Sean is a weaker dancer than Bobby was, but Sean's attitude is more tolerable than Bobby's for me. So yeah, if given the choice between listening to Sean and listening to Bobby, I'd easily choose Sean. In terms of watching both of them dance...can I choose neither option? 

This was a weak week for Sean. I did thought that he had shown some improvement last week, but he went back to being really terrible with his dancing this week.

6 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I have liked Kel since the first week, but his jive was not great. I kept noticing his floppy feet during the flicks. The camera work seemed designed to make him look as bad as possible. Maybe the lighting looked cool in person but it was terrible to watch on my screen.

He's one of the ones who I thought that his scores were too high. All 8s would have been acceptable. And I say this as someone who is actively rooting for Kel. I think that they're overscoring many of the celebs so it makes celebs like James look like they're being underscored. I think James' dance was better than Kel's or Lauren's and I think it was even a point higher than Ally's, but because they scored all of them with 9s, it makes James look on par with them when he's better.

Personally, I would have scored Kel all 8s (maybe with one 7), I would have preferred seeing Lauren get an 8 or two in her scores, and I would have been just fine if James and Ally had scored the same in that case. 

• Love 8

A couple of things that I kind of forgot:

Kudos to Karamo for his classy exit.  However I wondered if the show was also done with him because I feel like when he was cast, the show was salivating over all the Fab 5 content they could get on the show.  Then I think only Bobby showed up and other than Bobby, none of the others even bothered to ask people to vote for Karamo.  Now I understand with Sean there it probably drove them away from supporting the show, but they still could have at least supported him on social media and asked people to vote.  It made me wonder if there was something else going on there that they didn't entirely seem supportive of Karamo, or at least not in a way where they would go out of their way to support him.

Not complaining about this but when I've rewatched Kate's dance on youtube, Pasha's makeup from far away looks a bit like blackface.  I know it wasn't and I'm not saying it is a problem, but my only point was the wolf makeup didn't translate when the camera was far away.  He just looks very dark.  I'm also about five seconds away from starting a Pasha fan club (kidding maybe).

Lastly on Hannah, I don't think Carrie Anne was entirely wrong on what she said to Hannah.  Hannah was talking about how she was going to have a creepier or darker vibe on the dance floor and then as soon as the dance started the perma grin was back.  Where I have an issue with it is when judges are scoring down dances that were executed without mistakes and scoring up dances with obvious actual mistakes.  

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, spanana said:

Not complaining about this but when I've rewatched Kate's dance on youtube, Pasha's makeup from far away looks a bit like blackface.  I know it wasn't and I'm not saying it is a problem, but my only point was the wolf makeup didn't translate when the camera was far away.  He just looks very dark.  I'm also about five seconds away from starting a Pasha fan club (kidding maybe).

I thought the same thing about Jenna's makeup.

(PS I would join your Pasha fan club.)

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, MsTree said:

Even the judges 6s didn't do a damn thing to bring Spicer's votes down. 😡 If these idiot producers haven't learned anything from this and last season, then ABC should just clean house and hire new producers that know what the hell they're doing.

They did hire a new show runner this season. He sucks.

2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I think they're afraid to score him any lower and rile up even more people who think he's being treated "unfairly."

• Love 3

It was a mistake casting Spicer. The show really needs to stop this stunt casting. I don't think he even brings any new viewers to the show, since a lot of his fans seem to blind vote.

I think the show uses the voting numbers to set their advertising rates, so I imagine they don't care who is actually watching so much as how many votes they're getting.

It's very interesting to compare to Battle of the Blades (figure skaters partnering hockey players (our A and B-list celebs, here in Canada)) which allows ONE vote per day and where the couples are competing on behalf of charities (which means that the charities take the place of your president and Bones exhorting people to vote).  It's a much more feel-good show these days.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

It’s making up a grievance by making up someone to be against. The political name of the game. Then, when your pretend opponent calls you out on it, you call them “sensitive” and at the same time cry endlessly about how mean they are. If someone points out that makes no sense, call them crazy.

Straight out of the playbook of He Who We Are Not Allowed To Talk About. I hate that it seems to work.

• Love 12

Tom Bergeron's concerns when Spicer was included in the cast have unfolded right before our eyes:

“A few months ago, during a lunch with ‘DWTS’ new Executive Producer, I offered suggestions for Season 28. Chief among them was my hope that ‘DWTS,’ in its return following an unprecedented year-long hiatus, would be a joyful respite from our exhausting political climate and free of inevitably divisive bookings from ANY party affiliations,” Bergeron wrote in a note posted on his Twitter account Wednesday. “I left that lunch convinced we were in agreement. Subsequently (and rather obviously), a decision was made to, as we often say in Hollywood, ‘go in a different direction.’ It is the prerogative of the producers, in partnership with the network, to make whatever decisions they feel are in the best long term interests of the franchise. We can agree to disagree, as we do now, but ultimately it’s their call. I’ll leave it to them to answer any further questions about those decisions.”

Spicer should, minimally, have been bounced last week but there is clearly a politically driven voting block supportig him that is strong enough to negate the judges' scores.  It's very unfortunate. The show runners should have paid heed to Tom's opinion.  Each week that Spicer survives at the expense of another vastly superior dancer is just one more black eye for the show.  Truthfully, there's a part of me that almost hopes that Spicer wins.  After last season's debacle, it might just be enough to finish the show off. 

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, SHD said:

Negative: Tired of Hannah’s “I’m just a girl from a reality show” whining. She spent her life as a pageant girl in front of audiences where she had to perform talent pieces, which in her case were dance pieces, and she’s had years of dance training. Yes, that’s different from what is required for this show, but it’s a lot closer than the professions and experiences the other contestants come from.

Listen here, on the 3rd video down on the page,  at about 1:03 " was a trained dancer for 16 years..."

https://heavy.com/entertainment/2019/05/hannah-brown-miss-alabama-usa-2018/

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I feel bad for Alan, Carrie Ann really put him on the spot about Hannah being insecure and then he just agreed, with Hannah standing right next to him.  Ugh.  Calling the girl insecure on national tv is not helpful.  On his insta this morning he basically apologizes for saying it and that he's not good at public speaking.  I'm guessing Hannah was not amused (and rightfully so).  Carrie Ann calling her out in the group dance for suddenly making a huge change in her dancing and Hannah was like, it felt like any other dance. 

I think producers have made a huge mistake in not letting us see their dancing "journeys" this year.  They've gone personal with sob stories, but we're missing out on what its like to practice each week.  Who knew that Lauren had broken ribs from the beginning?  Hannah's feet have been swollen so much that she couldn't dance at a friend's wedding this weekend and was asking on insta for recommendations on how to help her feet.  It also feels like many of the pairings aren't actually friendly.  Whitney and Kell still appear to be strangers this far into the competition.  Which is odd for Whitney, who's everyone's friend usually.  There's a really lack of chemistry in the pairings, even with James and Emma and James has chemistry with a brick wall, so it makes no sense.

It's like no one, the stars, pros or hosts are having any fun anymore.  The season did start out hard with unexpected firings, I still wonder if Keo and the other pro without a partner had partners that dropped out before the announcement was made.  Why hire someone totally new as a pro and not give them a partner?

• Love 12