Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: The Club

• Start Topic

On 10/30/2019 at 3:31 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I think that depends on how loud Cassidy and Kevin are while having sex and how sound proof Kevin's trailer is!

Even if they weren't having sex, Kevin surely didn't just get up and walk out without telling Cassidy he was going to go get ... whatever ... and to wait and he'd be right back. Yeah, Nick DEFINITELY would have heard that. Interesting that fifth wheel has a real door to the bedroom, so many trailers just have a folding slider door to that space but a real door to the bathroom. Cassidy also would have heard the entire Nicky/Kevin convo too.

I couldn't figure out why Randall could play golf as a kid with Dad teaching him, then he was helpless as an adult. So thanks everyone for pointing out Randall was faking it to make the other guys look good and like him. I was completely confused about it but now it makes sense.

When we saw Jack taking the blame for some failure at work, where he'd been employed for 20 years, and Miguel stood up for him ... I'm thinking that's the job that was offered him on the golf course when he worked at a gas station. So I guess he takes the job, then Pops lets him marry Rebecca.

There are public golf courses, one doesn't have to belong to a country club.

And finally ... Justin Hartley w/o a shirt ... wow.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

There are public golf courses, one doesn't have to be long to a country club.

Yeah, my dad plays golf at a local course. They have a "VIP Club" but it's just special rates/perks, not a club in the country club sense. Their rates range from $40-75 depending on the day/time and whether you walk or use a cart. There are also junior rates for kids 17 and under. So not exactly a cheap hobby but not out of reach for the average person to play at least once in a while.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

When we saw Jack taking the blame for some failure at work, where he'd been employed for 20 years, and Miguel stood up for him ... I'm thinking that's the job that was offered him on the golf course when he worked at a gas station. So I guess he takes the job, then Pops lets him marry Rebecca.

When Rebecca was pregnant, Jack was working as a construction foreman, not in an office job, so he didn't take the job offered by Rebecca's father's friend. Then when the Big Three were eight years old, Jack wanted to start his own business, but Rebecca wanted to send Randall to private school, so Jack instead took a job working for Miguel, which promoted him to a desk job (which he didn't enjoy, but apparently it paid well). I'm not sure how Miguel went from selling suits to being Jack's superior in the construction industry, but it's not the most implausible thing on this show.

And I don't think either Jack or Rebecca cared whether her father "let" them marry - it was the 1970s, not the 1870s. We know from flashbacks that they had a pretty small and modest wedding, nothing like the grand church and country club wedding her father had envisioned. 

23 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Jack should have just said no to golf.  He wasn't wearing the clothes he needed.  Having Rebecca's dad buy him clothes had to be humiliating for him.   Then coming home drunk didn't help matters any. 

He did say no at first, but Rebecca wanted him to spend more time with her dad, so Jack gave in.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, PRgal said:

That's the problem.  Writers of TV shows target a certain segment of society so they make people like Rebecca's parents seem like snobs (even though her dad also grew up blue collar).  I don't know if it's writers not having done enough research or if it's written to mock the upper middle class.  

I think they're clearly trying to make her parents seem unlikable, compared to sincere, earnest Jack.  It's working for me but it's a bit over the top with the stereotypes.  

• Love 2

The clash between Rebecca's father and Jack could be a lot more interesting if the father wasn't such an over-the-top snob. He honestly has some very good reasons to be concerned about Jack. Jack at this point has no direction, his father was an abusive alcoholic, he's showing signs of alcoholism himself, and he hasn't dealt at all with the incredible trauma he experienced in Vietnam.

But instead of making reasonable objections, he has to act like a rich villain from an '80s movie.

• Love 8

There seems to be a lot of negative views about Kate in this thread.  I guess I'm the only person who actually likes her and doesn't think she's a selfish, horrible person.  I think Kate has a big heart.  She's very loving towards her brothers.  When Kevin thought the baby didn't like him, Kate took the time to reassure him that he was a good uncle and taught him that he just had to approach the baby differently since he can't see.  She was even kind to her neighbor, and went for a walk with him once he explained to her about his stroke.  Regarding her not wanting Toby to donate his old pants, I don't view that as her not supporting him.  I view that as someone who knows what it's like to go up and down with your weight.  I remember watching an episode of Mike and Molly where something similar happened.  Of course, since that was a comedy there wasn't all of these dark assumptions about the spouse being selfish or not being supportive.  Basically, Molly had lost a lot of weight and was getting together some of her old clothes to give to charity.  Mike asked her what about when she needs those clothes again.  She was hurt by his comment, but Mike didn't say that because he didn't support or believe in her.  He said it because of his own experience of losing some weight and putting it back on.  There's even an episode where he goes to his mother's house to get some of his old bigger clothes, and his mom makes a comment about how she kept them because she knew he would need them again (or something to that effect).  So he grew up hearing those kinds of comments while struggling with his weight.  It's only natural that he carried those views over into his own relationships as an adult.

Anyone who has struggled with their weight is probably familiar with both sides of this.  I know I am.  I know what it's like to lose some weight and be so proud of yourself, and I know what it's like to be disappointed if/when you start to gain again.  It's hard to admit you screwed up and have to go buy new clothes in a bigger size.  Sometimes it's less humiliating to hold on to some of your old clothes just in case.  It's not that you don't believe in yourself, it's just that you're realistic and you've experienced it before.  Maybe that's where Kate is coming from.  Issues of obesity and weight loss can be very complicated.  So I just don't see Kate's comment about the pants as an indication that she's selfish and doesn't support Toby's efforts at getting healthier.  I certainly don't view her as someone with no redeeming value.  Someone here actually said they don't know what Toby loves about her because she's negative and selfish.  I think that's extremely harsh.  Kate isn't perfect, but who is?  I'm glad these characters aren't written as perfect people who are always happy, with minor issues that are conveniently wrapped up by the end of each episode.  Every human being is flawed.  I'm certainly glad my spouse didn't think I had to be flawless in order to be worthy of her love.

• Love 4
43 minutes ago, Crs97 said:

Am I the only one who wasn’t offended by the offer for an interview?  Jack is working part-time as a mechanic, but wants to get married.  Who cares why the offer was made?  Go hear what is out there.  Get some interviewing skills.  Find out what you need in the business world.   Find out if you think you would be interested in the business world.  You can still say no at the end of the interview.  IIRC, he wouldn’t be working for Rebecca’s dad.  Rude and dumb to refuse outright IMO.

Word to all of this. I absolutely agree. But then, this is This Is Us we're talking about, gotta have strife and angst and conflict. I'd never turn down an interview for anything. Doesn't mean you'd get hired and doesn't mean you'd want the job. But jeez, at least it's doing something contructive. But then again ... this show ... of course, it went on later to show how deals are made on the golf course. *sigh*

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, TheLotusFlower said:

Regarding her not wanting Toby to donate his old pants, I don't view that as her not supporting him.  I view that as someone who knows what it's like to go up and down with your weight.

I view it as someone being negative and putting a big damper on Toby's feeling good about himself and his weight loss. So he wanted to donate his pants, what's the big deal. Because they were his "favorite pants" 100 pounds ago? Why dwell on the negative that HE MIGHT gain weight back. Not everyone does. Let Toby enjoy feeling good about donating old clothes to Good Will.

And if he does gain the weight back? Go to Good Will and buy bigger clothes. It's not like he's destitute and living in a cardboard box under a bridge. Support the good Salvation Army and Good Will does and buy some things there. Or not. A new pair of pants isn't going to bankrupt him. And that's IF he puts the weight back on. Saying he will is hurtful and negative. Try being supportive, Kate. "Tobe, you look so fine, let's go get you some new clothes to match your new hot body."

Instead, we get "Don't give away your fat clothes loser, because I said so." Ugh.

If I had Kate ragging at me day and night, I'd lose my appetite and shrink down to nothing just to get away from her, she's such a harpy.

And a nine-month-old baby isn't going to die if you have sex in the next room for 10 minutes. Or just turn some music on and do it right there in the same room. I don't see the big deal, but then Kate makes a big deal out of everything.

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I view it as someone being negative and putting a big damper on Toby's feeling good about himself and his weight loss. So he wanted to donate his pants, what's the big deal. Because they were his "favorite pants" 100 pounds ago? Why dwell on the negative that HE MIGHT gain weight back. Not everyone does. Let Toby enjoy feeling good about donating old clothes to Good Will.

And if he does gain the weight back? Go to Good Will and buy bigger clothes. It's not like he's destitute and living in a cardboard box under a bridge. Support the good Salvation Army and Good Will does and buy some things there. Or not. A new pair of pants isn't going to bankrupt him. And that's IF he puts the weight back on. Saying he will is hurtful and negative. Try being supportive, Kate. "Tobe, you look so fine, let's go get you some new clothes to match your new hot body."

Instead, we get "Don't give away your fat clothes loser, because I said so." Ugh.

If I had Kate ragging at me day and night, I'd lose my appetite and shrink down to nothing just to get away from her, she's such a harpy.

And a nine-month-old baby isn't going to die if you have sex in the next room for 10 minutes. Or just turn some music on and do it right there in the same room. I don't see the big deal, but then Kate makes a big deal out of everything.

I already gave my opinion as to why I felt Kate made the comment, so I'm not sure why you're asking me why dwell on the negative.  Again, people respond to things differently.  It's not about not being able to afford new pants.  The issue has nothing to do with money.  People tend to respond to things based on their own experiences, so just because you wouldn't have responded the way Kate did that doesn't mean she's a horrible person for responding differently than you would have.  You obviously don't like the character, and that's perfectly fine.  I was simply giving a different perspective.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Crs97 said:

Am I the only one who wasn’t offended by the offer for an interview?  Jack is working part-time as a mechanic, but wants to get married.  Who cares why the offer was made?  Go hear what is out there.  Get some interviewing skills.  Find out what you need in the business world.   Find out if you think you would be interested in the business world.  You can still say no at the end of the interview.  IIRC, he wouldn’t be working for Rebecca’s dad.  Rude and dumb to refuse outright IMO.

The offer for the interview wasn't really to help Jack, it was to make Rebecca's father better about Jack potentially marrying Rebecca. It was offensive to Jack because it sent the message that (a) he's not good enough for Rebecca's family at his current status, and (b) he's not capable of improving his status on his own merits.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 2
On 10/29/2019 at 10:05 PM, CleoCaesar said:

They’ll never do it, but it’s time to cut Milo V. out of the show. 3+ seasons in, we’ve seen all there is to see of Jack. The endless flashbacks to Jack and Rebecca's dating years are dragging down the show, IMO. I want to see how Rebecca moved on after his death, how the kids fared, how life moved on. Not see how Rebecca's dad was mean to him. Who cares, for real.

I completely agree.  I'm not a big fan of them as a couple to begin with, and I'm completely over seeing their dating years.  Jack & Rebecca in the way past has already been overdone for awhile now.  There's so much else the writers could be exploring that would be far more interesting. 

On 10/29/2019 at 10:13 PM, greekmom said:

2. I think that Toby actually does not find Kate attractive anymore. It's very hard when one person in a couple loses or gains weight. It's almost like a betrayal of sorts.

Yes, it is.  I have a friend who was dating a guy who started working out and lost a lot of weight.  She was overweight (nowhere near as much as Kate), and eventually the relationship started to fizzle.  Finally he told her that his new more fit self was not as attracted to her anymore.  It was all pretty sad because they had been together for awhile and they had been very compatible and happy.

I agree that Toby probably doesn't find Kate attractive.  Not only physically, but in other ways too.  He has always been super-supportive of her in whatever she wanted to do, and I think he's seeing that he doesn't get that back.  At all.  She's clearly upset that he got in shape and is taking care of himself.   And she has an overall negative attitude about it because as always - it's all about her.  I think he may be realizing that this is who she is, and this is the way it's always been.  It's understandable that he's viewing her differently now.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

The offer for the interview wasn't really to help Jack, it was to make Rebecca's father better about Jack potentially marrying Rebecca. It was offensive to Jack because it sent the message that (a) he's not good enough for Rebecca's family at his current status, and (b) he's not capable of improving his status on his own merits.

If Jack wanted to play the long con on the dad, he could go to the interview, get offered the job, then turn it down saying he's gonna stay working at the gas station. Which he was going to do anyway. Stay at the gas station I mean.

Of course if I were Jack, I wouldn't have gone with the dad to play golf in the first place. That would have been a big no thanks from me. If Rebecca wanted me to get to know her dad/parents better, then order a pizza and some KFC* and lets eat it on the picnic table in the back yard.

*It existed then, it just went by a different Fried name.

• Love 1
On 10/30/2019 at 11:30 AM, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I think Toby is a grown adult and can give away his pants if he wants to. Some people are more practical (like me) who would keep the pants in case and some people like to get rid of them because they see them as a crutch and they want to motivate themselves not to fall back into old patterns. Neither way is wrong, in my opinion. 

The way Kate and Toby went about starting up their sex life seemed cold to me. They just set up a sex room and were like let's go at it! I think it would have been better if they had tried a non-sex activity together and made an emotional connection first. It's probably been awhile since they really concentrated on themselves as a couple rather than focusing on Baby Jack and his needs. Then after they were able to re-connect, go for it if they were feeling it. I'm not judging any couple who would just go for it, I just think Kate and Toby aren't really on the same page in their marriage now and they need to work on that.

It would have been nice to have a platonic friendship between a man and a woman so of course TIU had to ruin that and have Kevin and Cassidy hook up. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll go back to being friends and no one will be pregnant.

Ugh, the stuff with Jack and Rebecca's father was so cliche. "You'll never be good enough for my daughter!" "I'm going to marry your daughter." Also, the way it's all behind Rebecca's back like it's just her father and her boyfriend's decision who she's going to marry. I'm tired of it.

I completely agree with your entire post.

Toby & Kate should have gone out for a romantic dinner - just quiet time, just the two of them, a chance to reconnect as a couple.  Or maybe a movie where he could put his arm around her and they could snuggle without having to worry about the baby maybe waking up or crying or whatever.  Let the feelings happen.  Let nature take its course.  Pave the way for actual sex that maybe would happen that night, maybe not.   Their lives are so pressured with this new baby, and the last thing either of them need is more pressure.  This should have been about relaxing, recharging, and connecting,  I agree - The way they went about it seemed cold (and super unromantic) to me too.  

And yes, Rebecca's father and Jack.  I hated all that.  For the reasons you said.  And also, it was boring.

On 10/30/2019 at 4:01 PM, JudyObscure said:

Remember last season when you all had to educate me all about phone chargers and WiFi and such?  Nicky is my person!

Haha!  I do remember!  This really made me laugh.  😅

• Love 5
On 10/31/2019 at 12:08 AM, NUguy514 said:

A jello salad gels exactly with a lobster/country club background.  I've been to plenty of brunches and dinners at country clubs (I come from a WASP-y background), and there have been jello salads at each and every one.  The food at those clubs is blander than bland.

Just to provide another point of view:  I had a privileged childhood on Long Island, and we belonged to country clubs.  I've been to many in several states, and never once saw a jello salad at any of them.  I actually never saw one anywhere (other than in magazines and cookbooks) until I was in college.  I've always thought of jello salad as something inexpensive that people bring to potlucks.  (And I think country club food is delicious!)  🙂

On 11/1/2019 at 10:03 AM, sasha206 said:

I'm also so tired of Jack in flashbacks.  Does Milo try to drop his voice down a few registers?  His general manner of speaking sounds so forced to me that I really hate it any time he's on screen.

I have an issue with his voice too.  I find it distracting.  And I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think he's attractive at all.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, DebbieM4 said:

I have an issue with his voice too.  I find it distracting. 

My issue with his voice is that there’s a very Kermit the Frog aspect to it because he’s talking from the back of his throat rather than from his chest. [/former choir nerd]

I also don’t like the way he deliberately lowers his voice. It sounds like when a high school kid plays a middle aged adult in the school play and they think doing this makes them seem old enough to pass for 45. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, DebbieM4 said:

Just to provide another point of view:  I had a privileged childhood on Long Island, and we belonged to country clubs.  I've been to many in several states, and never once saw a jello salad at any of them.  I actually never saw one anywhere (other than in magazines and cookbooks) until I was in college.  I've always thought of jello salad as something inexpensive that people bring to potlucks.  (And I think country club food is delicious!)  🙂

Ah, my experiences were in the Midwest, so that probably accounts for the differences.  Now that I think about it, the club in Ft. Lauderdale (where I lived as a kid) did not have anything made of jello, so it must have been a Midwest/WASP thing; the food hasn't been good at any of them, though, in my experience.

• Love 3

Just one more to pile on Jack and Rebecca.  This is really going to sound ridiculous, but I hate the sound they make when they kiss (and let’s be honest - they kiss way too much). It sounds so juicy and so smacky like they’re a couple of teenagers making out. Maybe I’ve got misophonia (thanks google) but it creeps me out every time. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I think they're clearly trying to make her parents seem unlikable, compared to sincere, earnest Jack.  It's working for me but it's a bit over the top with the stereotypes.  

16 hours ago, Blakeston said:

The clash between Rebecca's father and Jack could be a lot more interesting if the father wasn't such an over-the-top snob. He honestly has some very good reasons to be concerned about Jack. Jack at this point has no direction, his father was an abusive alcoholic, he's showing signs of alcoholism himself, and he hasn't dealt at all with the incredible trauma he experienced in Vietnam.

But instead of making reasonable objections, he has to act like a rich villain from an '80s movie.

Exactly.  In many ways Jack is not the greatest catch no matter how tight he wears his shirts. Remember, he first saw Rebecca when he was in the process of robbing a bar.

Rebecca is not exactly a prize either. She is flakey as hell and left LA after one measly rejection, despite always screaming singing is her passion.

I guess it is easier for the writers to turn her dad into Thurston Howell the Third, who just won’t give an earnest working class guy a chance than be realistic about it.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Exactly.  In many ways Jack is not the greatest catch no matter how tight he wears his shirts. Remember, he first saw Rebecca when he was in the process of robbing a bar.

Rebecca is not exactly a prize either. She is flakey as hell and left LA after one measly rejection, despite always screaming singing is her passion.

I guess it is easier for the writers to turn her dad into Thurston Howell the Third, who just won’t give an earnest working class guy a chance than be realistic about it.

Especially a guy who grew up working class himself.  

• Love 2

I didn't catch any Jello references in the episode (must have tuned them out) but back a few decades, Jello everything was a huge deal. There were scads of recipes for Jello molds in Better Homes and Gardens, and McCalls. Shredded carrots were encased in gelatin rings as were chunks of other vegetables. There was green gelatin that was typically used for veggies trapped in the stuff. Mayo was the topping applied after you took your serving. So there were gelatin main and side courses, and gelatin deserts.

Thankfully, those days are gone. But I'm sure gelatin dishes were there (or not there) depending on the era when ya'll went to those dinners. I'm guessing some families continued the tradition after the Viet Nam era so it got written into the show.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't catch any Jello references in the episode (must have tuned them out) but back a few decades, Jello everything was a huge deal. There were scads of recipes for Jello molds in Better Homes and Gardens, and McCalls. Shredded carrots were encased in gelatin rings as were chunks of other vegetables. There was green gelatin that was typically used for veggies trapped in the stuff. Mayo was the topping applied after you took your serving. So there were gelatin main and side courses, and gelatin deserts.

Thankfully, those days are gone. But I'm sure gelatin dishes were there (or not there) depending on the era when ya'll went to those dinners. I'm guessing some families continued the tradition after the Viet Nam era so it got written into the show.

It actually didn't get written into the show.  Somebody mis-remembered Rebecca making some jello for Thanksgiving at her parents, but what she actually was bringing was cranberry sauce.  Jack's family probably was more likely to have had jello variations.  My own family, and most people I knew as a kid, had it often as you describe.  My grandparents were of quite modest means, and when they would have us over, dessert was always jello with bananas in it, and we loved it.  Comes in handy now for colonoscopy prep, minus bananas. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Nicky needs to tell Kevin to move his trailer.

I know this is a make-believe show and so much is hand waved, but I wonder where Nicky has his trailer, it appears to be somewhere isolated, yet he has a mailbox so he must own the land it's on. So there must be electrical and phone lines running to it. And is a septic connected? Kevin will have to be hauling his fifth wheel out somewhere for a sanitary dump pretty soon, although I've never seen a vehicle there, he and his lady friends all have to walk to it. Does Nicky have a vehicle? Because Kevin needs a pickup to move that big trailer of his.

I know, I know ... hand wave.

• Love 4

Cassidy's husband already threatened Kevin once.  If he finds out about Kevin having sex with Cassidy, I wouldn't be shocked if there was some sort of violent confrontation.

Then Cassidy would get custody of her kid.

Cassidy gets to decide who she sleeps with and her husband doesn't get to violently confront the person she chooses to sleep with. Once you tell your wife to get out of the house and you start divorce procedures, you also give up your right to complain about their sex partners. You might be able to complain about somebody not being good to have around your kid or living in the same house as your kid, but this sex took place at Kevin's place.  

I don't think there is evidence that Kevin is bad around kids (he had a job for years being a Nanny where he worked professionally with babies and children (the baby had older siblings)), but he did drive drunk with Tess in the car (which he didn't know about)), so I'm not sure Cassidy's husband has a legal footing to object to Kevin being around his kid.

At this point, Cassidy's husband is going to have to reconcile with her or accept that she can have new partners. Cassidy herself is the one who is trying to stop the divorce.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, kili said:

Then Cassidy would get custody of her kid.

Cassidy gets to decide who she sleeps with and her husband doesn't get to violently confront the person she chooses to sleep with. Once you tell your wife to get out of the house and you start divorce procedures, you also give up your right to complain about their sex partners. You might be able to complain about somebody not being good to have around your kid or living in the same house as your kid, but this sex took place at Kevin's place.  

I don't think there is evidence that Kevin is bad around kids (he had a job for years being a Nanny where he worked professionally with babies and children (the baby had older siblings)), but he did drive drunk with Tess in the car (which he didn't know about)), so I'm not sure Cassidy's husband has a legal footing to object to Kevin being around his kid.

At this point, Cassidy's husband is going to have to reconcile with her or accept that she can have new partners. Cassidy herself is the one who is trying to stop the divorce.

But working with kids as an actor is different from actually taking care of kids.  

But working with kids as an actor is different from actually taking care of kids.  

Certainly, but in order to try control Kevin's presence around Cassidy, Cassidy's husband's only avenue is to try to prove that Kevin would be bad to be around Cassidy's son. Kevin not only is not bad, but there is some evidence he is good around kids (his nieces would be another example). 

You could raise the issue that he is an alcoholic, but so is Cassidy. And a sober alcoholic would be better than a dad who gets violent because he thinks he owns his ex-wife's sex life.

But this is all just hypothetical. Cassidy's husband has shown zero indication of being violent and I don't think he will be. I was just responding to the thought that he would be justified in being violent. He wouldn't be. The only thing that justifies violence is defence against violence. 

He did tell Kevin to stay away from Cassidy, but he had no right to do that. He can ask him to stay away from her or tell him to stay away from himself. 

I know it's difficult when one gets divorced to see your ex with somebody else, but you have to get used to it or remarry them. I expect he might not be Kevin's biggest fan and that's fine.

21 minutes ago, kili said:

Certainly, but in order to try control Kevin's presence around Cassidy, Cassidy's husband's only avenue is to try to prove that Kevin would be bad to be around Cassidy's son. Kevin not only is not bad, but there is some evidence he is good around kids (his nieces would be another example). 

You could raise the issue that he is an alcoholic, but so is Cassidy. And a sober alcoholic would be better than a dad who gets violent because he thinks he owns his ex-wife's sex life.

But this is all just hypothetical. Cassidy's husband has shown zero indication of being violent and I don't think he will be. I was just responding to the thought that he would be justified in being violent. He wouldn't be. The only thing that justifies violence is defence against violence. 

He did tell Kevin to stay away from Cassidy, but he had no right to do that. He can ask him to stay away from her or tell him to stay away from himself. 

I know it's difficult when one gets divorced to see your ex with somebody else, but you have to get used to it or remarry them. I expect he might not be Kevin's biggest fan and that's fine.

I agree, but Cassidy and her husband aren’t officially divorced yet.  But still, he has no right to have that sort of attitude.  

Note:  he could make tons of money selling a “Kevin Pearson is having an affair with married vet” story to the likes of TMZ....but seeing as he doesn’t seem to watch tv/recognize Kevin....

On 10/30/2019 at 10:23 PM, Pallas said:

The episode where Kevin was at football camp before coming to the cabin. He felt estranged, took it out on Randall and got Jacked. During a storm, he finally followed his siblings into their parents' room, where all four were in the bed. He fell asleep on the floor and later that night, Rebecca got up and lay down near him, as he slept. 

That was the sweetest scene ever ❤️

Not to nitpick, but Rebecca’s grandfather would’ve been a steel worker, not a pipe fitter.   — Pittsburgh girl 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Rebecca never did seem like much of a cook.   I guess her having no issues with serving raw poultry further proves the point as to how clueless she is.  She is a mom and she isn't concerned about food poisoning?

I think she's an over-ambitious cook. Every time we've seen her make something, it's always a been a huge undertaking - the "special" birthday cake she wanted to make for Jack's birthday before the kids were born, the "perfect" cranberry sauce from scratch, some fancy French recipe that called for yellow onions and apparently allowed no substitutions (which led to a meltdown at the grocery store), those Cornish game hens. Maybe she's competent enough at basic everyday cooking, we've just never seen her do that.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, icemiser69 said:
19 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I fully expect dress codes are going to have to be dropped in an effort to get people to show up to play at the public courses.

She is a mom and she isn't concerned about food poisoning?

Dress codes likely instituted only to keep the riff-raff out. There is nothing inherent in the game that makes wearing a collared shirt and khakis necessary.

I don't think you have to be a female parent to be concerned about food poisoning. And the meat was burned also, so she might not have realized that some wasn't cooked through.

Jello. My mother's specialty in the 1970s was green jello with cottage cheese mixed in.

I think she's an over-ambitious cook. Every time we've seen her make something, it's always a been a huge undertaking - the "special" birthday cake she wanted to make for Jack's birthday before the kids were born, the "perfect" cranberry sauce from scratch,

Given that Randall's Cranberry Sauce has 30 ingredients, I think that he has turned out to be an even more ambitious cook than his Mom. Based on the people who seem pleased with the result, he doesn't appear to be over-ambitious. 

"Randall's recipe for cranberry sauce has, like, 30 ingredients, including 'fresh mint from my garden.'"

And the meat was burned also, so she might not have realized that some wasn't cooked through.

She knew. She announced that the pan was too small so they were burnt on the top and raw on the bottom before she even served them.  And everybody who heard the argument through the door knew it too. 

"And it doesn't matter that I didn't have the right size pan and that the hens are all squished together and they're burnt on the top and raw on the bottom. [SNIP] wedding. So pull yourselves together, pretend you like burnt raw food, get your whiny little asses back out in those seats, and enjoy my damn dinner."

• Love 1

Jello fun fact:  Utah buys the most jello of any state, and their favorite is green jello.

Jello salad is on of the most disgusting things people ever invented.  Fruit in jello = good.  Vegetables and mayonnaise = GTFO.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I was thinking while watching this that I now can watch most episodes without crying (unlike season 1) but that "this one's for you pop" got me.

I'm fine with this episode. I wasn't expecting the Randall fake out. He's not focused on athletic stuff so it was believable to me he didn't play.

I don't want Jack off the show. There are plenty of real life moments we have not seen.

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, RedbirdNelly said:

I was thinking while watching this that I now can watch most episodes without crying (unlike season 1) but that "this one's for you pop" got me.

I'm fine with this episode. I wasn't expecting the Randall fake out. He's not focused on athletic stuff so it was believable to me he didn't play.

I don't want Jack off the show. There are plenty of real life moments we have not seen.

Randall decided to play football in high school as a FU to Kevin, and he is a runner. I don't see him picking up golf as too far fetched.  As others have pointed out, his previous job practically necessitated him having some experience.  Deals are made on the golf course, so Randall would have made sure he could be out there and not embarrass his employer.  

• Love 1

Besides the usual Christmas dinner requirements, I usually make several dishes for nostalgia purposes and my mother's jello salad is one of them: Strawberry jello containing crushed pineapple and tiny chunks of cream cheese.  Also, celery in a crystal celery dish. Yep,  keeping alive customs that were dead before I was born.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

forgot to add one other thing I liked was simply Jack telling Randall not to make his mistake. It wasn't St. Jack thumbs his nose at future FIL/yea Jack. He realized he didn't handle everything as a young man correctly and tried to help Randall rise above. And then to top that off with this one's for you pop. . .

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Randall decided to play football in high school as a FU to Kevin, and he is a runner. I don't see him picking up golf as too far fetched.  As others have pointed out, his previous job practically necessitated him having some experience.  Deals are made on the golf course, so Randall would have made sure he could be out there and not embarrass his employer.  

agreed that all makes sense, but it also would have made sense for me if he had not. Not everyone plays golf. So I wasn't sitting there the whole time thinking "no way Randall isn't a golf wiz".

• Love 1
3 hours ago, RedbirdNelly said:

agreed that all makes sense, but it also would have made sense for me if he had not. Not everyone plays golf. So I wasn't sitting there the whole time thinking "no way Randall isn't a golf wiz".

Right, and even if he was likely to have been on the golf course a lot, it doesn't guarantee he would be good at it.  Not everyone is.

• Love 2

I was really enjoying Kevin and Cassidy as a friendship and was happy the show want going the obvious route by pouting them together. Guess that's out the window. I'm sure I'm alone on this once, but I'm still wishing Kevin and Sophie will find their ways back to each other.

Kate continues to be my least favorite.

I am much more interested in how Rebecca and Miguel got together than Rebecca's past with Jack, at this point.

• Love 4

I want more Miguel as well.  Did everyone attend her wedding to him, or did Rebecca and Miguel elope?  I would love to know why he went to Houston and why he came back.  Their mature, quieter love story is now more intriguing to me.

• Love 10
On 11/4/2019 at 12:43 AM, chocolatine said:

I think she's an over-ambitious cook. Every time we've seen her make something, it's always a been a huge undertaking - the "special" birthday cake she wanted to make for Jack's birthday before the kids were born, the "perfect" cranberry sauce from scratch, some fancy French recipe that called for yellow onions and apparently allowed no substitutions (which led to a meltdown at the grocery store), those Cornish game hens. Maybe she's competent enough at basic everyday cooking, we've just never seen her do that.

This whole thing about what a homemaker, wife, mother, etc. that Rebecca is, yet she ruins so many dishes.....just seems like a cliche to me me.  Writing in something that they think is amusing for script sake.  I don't appreciate it. 

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This whole thing about what a homemaker, wife, mother, etc. that Rebecca is, yet she ruins so many dishes.....just seems like a cliche to me me.  Writing in something that they think is amusing for script sake.  I don't appreciate it. 

My mom was a great homemaker, wife and mother, but she was simply not a great cook. Mind you, stretching a dollar to feed a big family on one paycheque (my dad's) was a skill in and of itself, but I grew up on mostly plain, meat/potato/vegetable meals and more than a few disasters when she did experiment. So I don't find it terribly cliché or unrealistic. Then again, I had a dad who was flawed, but perfect in my eyes, much like Jack, so I may not be the most objective observer here, lol.

• Love 3
On 10/30/2019 at 9:02 AM, RedDelicious said:

I wish they would just have the Kate character lose weight.  I think it would be inspiring for other people who need to do the same.  She's a beautiful girl and I love her style, but this ongoing story line of Toby losing and Kate staying the same hits a nerve with me.  It brings back unfortunate memories (hello bad relationships with sh*tty people who made me feel bad about myself and food made me feel better at the time thank God that's over).  Why can't we get a success story for Kate?

Not saying that this has anything to do with Toby's behavior towards Kate at all.  Just the concept of him succeeding and her not succeeding.  I would like to see Kate succeed.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Christy Metz has gained more weight from the other seasons.  Perhaps they had a plot line where she lost weight, too, but then she put more on so that got scrubbed and changed to this one.  Christy Metz is beautiful, but she really does need to lose weight.  I don't think she's wearing a fat suit, right?

• Useful 1