Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: The Club

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

Sometimes, especially lately, it feels like Randall is not a Pearson

I think part of that is that Randall and his family are isolated on one side of the country while Rebecca, Kevin and Kate are all on the other.  I don't know what storyline they could use to have Randall realistically move to join the others, but I definitely think more interaction between the present day characters would be a good thing.

• Love 6

He felt estranged, took it out on Randall and got Jacked. During a storm, he finally followed his siblings into their parents' room,

Rebecca had accused Kevin of stealing Randall's glasses and didn't believe him when he said he had not. That got him upset and he wanted nothing to do with the family after that. Randall had simply misplaced them in his room. Kevin may never have known that Rebecca slept with him on the floor.

That's the episode where they go see Kevin in rehab. He himself asks Rebecca if she has any memories of special things just with him and she doesn't. She admits she found it difficult to get close to him.

Kevin sleeps with every woman he meets because it keeps things at a physical level - away from the personal. He has no friends and tries to keep things at a superficial level. It's part of him thinking the real him isn't worth knowing. He puts on a bon homme cheery face and tries to charm everyone. 

As M. Night Shyamalan said to Kevin earlier this season: You know, when you strip away all the artifice, all those tricks you use to make yourself seem appealing and charming and handsome When you let all that crap go, you're absolutely incredible.

Kevin doesn't see that. He is acting a part most of the time. Kevin isn't going to have a friendship with anyone, let alone women in his orbit, until he accepts himself and lets people past his shell.

• Useful 5
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, bros402 said:

Was I tired or was the editing there at the end with Kevin's trailer super confusing? For a second there I thought he was imagining Cassidy there because of the janky editing

I was hoping that also. I have a feeling there will be some discussion with Nicky too that will be choppy and Kevin wont want to hear anything negative. I was hoping "complicated" by the producer meant tension but they stayed friends. I still hope for that. Showing a recovering addict bonding with another, emotionally and sexually, so soon in recovery,  taking care of his addict uncle (in his mind) and with so much going on in his life, is a bad thing. It will get ugly with the husband and she has a son she should have as top priority, getting healthy for herself and him.

Of course Cassidy will bond with a nice looking guy who sees her as someone other than a wife with PTSD but she never gave her marriage a try. She didn't get help until she hit her son and then group counseling would have helped. Her marriage might be over but many just need help when one is gone a lot and has experiences that hurt their psyche. If a guy came home damaged, hit his kid and then slept with his fellow beautiful AA friend, I wouldn't think he was right either. Give it all you have and then look for other support but you can't work on a marriage sleeping with Kevin.

Nicky's line  “We should have taken that hike,” will have Kevin feeling bad I'm sure and we'll see where it goes.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5

I think Kate and Toby's problem is not the lack of sex rather than the lack of communication and understanding of each other. As we saw, they never resolved the ussue of why Kate acts this way about Toby losing weight. He asks her "why are you doing that?", she avoids the question and when they go home she apologizes (but we still don't know why she acts this way) and then they have sex. The main issue here is still unresolved and that's why it will come up over and over again.

It's hard to understand an obese person's state of mind and psychology. It's not only the constant bullying since they are little (all people have experienced bullying more or less) but it's the constant thinking that people are always judging you. Being overweight is the only visible reason people can judge about (and being underweight of course). Also there is this thought that everything else you are and have achieved in life, all your talents and good things of you are not getting noticed just because you are overweight. So please let's judge less.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, c0urtmarie91 said:

Didn't they mention in the second season, why Kevin was the forgotten child? When the family went to see his therapist in rehab? Over the course of the show he's had some bonding time with Jack and Rebecca. But it's been established that growing up Kevin wasn't given enough attention from his parents. 

Luckily for him. He's the best one by far.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I don't think Kate needs anything else to do right now either.  As it is, she has a new baby with special needs and it's wearing her out.  

And postpartum is just about the worst time I can think of for a woman to lose weight who hasn't been able to before.  I have a lot of empathy for her situation.  As others have pointed out, the writers are in a tough spot because the actress isn't seeming to lose much.  If the only way they can resolve it is to have her and Toby split, that will be too bad.  The character needs to be shown as trying something new like a medically monitored program, or something else besides doing it all on her own. Or the both of them sincerely accepting themselves and each other as they are.  The show introduced something that they've kind of dropped the ball on.  The first episode (I think) had her telling Kevin on their 36th birthday "tell me to lose the weight already".  They shouldn't have gone there without some sense of a plan B if the actress in fact couldn't. 

• Love 8

Although Tiger wasn't a pro in 1992, he was already the youngest winner of the US Amateur and then won for a second time in 92. I remember he got a lot of TV time for that tournament. He also played in a PGA tour event as an amateur that year. 

Very true. Even as an amateur, Tiger was a god, and he did get a ton of press and TV coverage. I saw him play in the U.S. Open at Oakland Hills in '96 (which I believe was his last tournament as an amateur), and there was a huge crowd following him around.

Sorry for the off-topic digression. Golf nerd here.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Mars477 said:

What exactly makes Cassidy and Kevin more “predictable” than any iteration of “Show heartthrob gets with sexy Hollywood professional woman a decade his younger”?

Well, Jennifer Morrison is 40, so presumably Cassidy is around that age. That makes her Kevin's age.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, NUguy514 said:
18 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

In season one she seemed to be from working class.  Recall the year she was to bring a jello salad for Thanksgiving?  Somehow that doesn't jell with the lobster/country club background, imo.  And didn't her parents give the kids modest gifts or Christmas?

A jello salad gels exactly with a lobster/country club background.  I've been to plenty of brunches and dinners at country clubs (I come from a WASP-y background), and there have been jello salads at each and every one.  The food at those clubs is blander than bland.

It wasn't a jello salad, though.  It was her one dish she could do really well - homemade cranberry sauce.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 10/29/2019 at 10:05 PM, CleoCaesar said:

They’ll never do it, but it’s time to cut Milo V. out of the show. 3+ seasons in, we’ve seen all there is to see of Jack. The endless flashbacks to Jack and Rebecca's dating years are dragging down the show, IMO. I want to see how Rebecca moved on after his death, how the kids fared, how life moved on. Not see how Rebecca's dad was mean to him. Who cares, for real.

I would have much preferred to see teen Kate’s relationship with her dodgy coworker fleshed out and how it apparently affected her, or see the fallout from teen Kevin’s marriage. Instead of Randall golf montages and his millionth identity crisis stemming from his adoption. Stop spinning your wheels, show.

I agree about the flashback scenes. That was the only boring part of the episode for me. The scenes with Jack, Rebecca, and Jack's dad, that is. I fast forwarded all of the flashback scenes that didn't include the kids. 

I preferred last week's flashbacks because most of them did have the kids. 

But I liked this episode overall. I'm liking this entire season much better than last season. 

On 10/30/2019 at 8:40 AM, icemiser69 said:

There is nothing to talk about.  He is losing weight because of his heart attack and he wants to be there for his kid when he gets older.

Does Kate want him to put all of the weight back on and die of a heart attack?

Kate needs to deal with her insecurities.  Toby can't do that for her.  It doesn't matter how supportive Toby maybe, if Kate can't find a way to feel confident about who she is.

On 10/30/2019 at 8:44 AM, MissLucas said:

Toby and Kate definitely need therapy because there's simply too much stuff going on impacting their marriage right now. They're both overwhelmed and although nobody is bringing it up at this point if things don't go better soon they can get worse when Toby's depression resurfaces. I'm also surprised it's never mentioned that one of the side-effects of regular workout is that it helps coping with depression. Another reason Kate should be happy he's going to the gym.

Remember when Kate went to the retreat and realized that a lot of her weight gain had to do with unresolved grief about her dad's death and her interpersonal relationships? What happened to all of that work? 

And Toby's depression? Was that plot dropped?

I agree that they both need individual therapy, and probably couple's therapy at this point. Having a child with special needs puts a lot of strain on a marriage. 

On 10/30/2019 at 9:21 AM, Ohiopirate02 said:

I saw Kate being practical with Toby about the pants.  Kate has been gaining and losing weight for more than 20 years at this point and she knows how easy it is to gain it back.  Keeping some bigger clothes in the back of the closet is practical.  There is a very real possibility that Toby will gain at least some of the weight back and then he won't have any clothes that fit him.  Kate has probably done the whole throw out all her bigger clothes because she lost weight just to gain it all back again.  She is not wrong, but needed to go about this in another way.  She should have kept her mouth shut and taken the pants out of the Goodwill box before donating the rest.  Then keep the pants and a shirt or two hidden in the back of the closet.  But she is human, tired and stressed.  

But we saw an episode of Kate in her early 20s, and she was basically the same size she is now. If there was a time during her adulthood that she lost a lot of weight, I've never heard about it. 

I thought Kate was being mean and selfish, not practical. Part of her doesn't want Toby to be fit and healthy--because she isn't. Sure, it's about worrying if Toby is still attracted to her. But mostly, it's about her insecurities about her own body.  Kate is all about me, me, me (except when she used to be all about Kevin). 

• Love 14

I hate Kevin and Cassidy hooking up right now. I really like Jennifer Morrison too and think she looks great. Kevin hooking up with a married woman who recently told him what she wants most is to fix her marriage and he just told her that her husband is still in love with her is so wrong. He was just about to have sex with the redhead too. I guess women are interchangeable, anyone will do for Kevin. Yuck.

I don't really care that much about Deja either. I would like to see more about Tess and Annie, so I don't care about Deja and Malik's storyline. I also hope we see more of Jack when he is young and his struggles with his blindness as a toddler, young boy and teen. 

I did like Randall and Jack together in this episode. 

Edited by Quiet1
  • Love 6

Kevin and Cassidy's hook-up seemed to me to be more of a 'foxhole' thing than the beginning of anything real. She was coming off another fight with her husband, Kevin was stinging from all the Zoe stuff on Instagram(?). I have the feeling they'll both be cringing in the next episode and agreeing to never speak of it again. Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking. 🙂

• Love 10
13 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

A jello salad gels exactly with a lobster/country club background.  I've been to plenty of brunches and dinners at country clubs (I come from a WASP-y background), and there have been jello salads at each and every one.  The food at those clubs is blander than bland.

Does anyone find it strange that Rebecca is so clueless that her family is not thrilled with her very blue collar choice of boyfriend?

Not everyone in the Country Club set is a snob, but there is a real pressure for women of this time period to marry guys who were "Our kind of people".  Her parents are always going to think she married down and that is probably one of the reasons she is not very close to them in her adult years. Jack sometimes acts likes he does not think he is good enough for Rebecca and these insecurities often lead to drinking.

3 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

And postpartum is just about the worst time I can think of for a woman to lose weight who hasn't been able to before.  I have a lot of empathy for her situation.  As others have pointed out, the writers are in a tough spot because the actress isn't seeming to lose much.  If the only way they can resolve it is to have her and Toby split, that will be too bad.  The character needs to be shown as trying something new like a medically monitored program, or something else besides doing it all on her own. Or the both of them sincerely accepting themselves and each other as they are.  The show introduced something that they've kind of dropped the ball on.  The first episode (I think) had her telling Kevin on their 36th birthday "tell me to lose the weight already".  They shouldn't have gone there without some sense of a plan B if the actress in fact couldn't. 

On one hand I do not want everything about Kate to be about weight. However, your weight is the center of your life if you are morbidly obese.

I am happy they did not go the "thin actress in a fat suit route", as it give an unfair representation of how easy it is for someone to lose weight.

I remember a scene where young teenage Kate is trying on dresses for a dance. We see that she is actually a size 6 and she has been hiding how slim she is under layers of clothes. This was before Jack died. 

Kate obviously has some deep issues with esteem and the weight is just the symptom. I sometimes think it was because Jack adored her so much. I notice he made the boy "prove their worth" through accomplishment and achievement. The guys have their issues but it is no surprise both of them are successful and financially secure.

He never held the same type of standards for Kate and almost made it like she was amazing just for showing up and doing nothing more. I think sometimes this is why Kate has had such a hard time. Life is tough and most people have to work to achieve anything. This was augmented by the one person who made things so rosy dying fairly early.

I do think they really have Kate in some nice clothes. I was however, shocked to see the flashbacks from the first season because she seemed so much smaller back then.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Does anyone find it strange that Rebecca is so clueless that her family is not thrilled with her very blue collar choice of boyfriend?

Not everyone in the Country Club set is a snob, but there is a real pressure for women of this time period to marry guys who were "Our kind of people".  Her parents are always going to think she married down and that is probably one of the reasons she is not very close to them in her adult years. Jack sometimes acts likes he does not think he is good enough for Rebecca and these insecurities often lead to drinking.

On one hand I do not want everything about Kate to be about weight. However, your weight is the center of your life if you are morbidly obese.

I am happy they did not go the "thin actress in a fat suit route", as it give an unfair representation of how easy it is for someone to lose weight.

I remember a scene where young teenage Kate is trying on dresses for a dance. We see that she is actually a size 6 and she has been hiding how slim she is under layers of clothes. This was before Jack died. 

Kate obviously has some deep issues with esteem and the weight is just the symptom. I sometimes think it was because Jack adored her so much. I notice he made the boy "prove their worth" through accomplishment and achievement. The guys have their issues but it is no surprise both of them are successful and financially secure.

He never held the same type of standards for Kate and almost made it like she was amazing just for showing up and doing nothing more. I think sometimes this is why Kate has had such a hard time. Life is tough and most people have to work to achieve anything. This was augmented by the one person who made things so rosy dying fairly early.

I do think they really have Kate in some nice clothes. I was however, shocked to see the flashbacks from the first season because she seemed so much smaller back then.

Holy h3!!, there's pressure even TODAY in some cultures.  There's a couple in Calgary, Alberta where the guy's parents more or less disowned him for marrying a non-Korean who happens to be half black and half Filipina (and Muslim).  The guy's dad hasn't even told his wife that she's now a grandmother! 

I think Rebecca might knows that her family doesn't like Jack, but it's her way of being rebellious.  She was always a "good girl" and this is the time for her to be bad.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, PRgal said:

Holy h3!!, there's pressure even TODAY in some cultures.  There's a couple in Calgary, Alberta where the guy's parents more or less disowned him for marrying a non-Korean who happens to be half black and half Filipina (and Muslim).  The guy's dad hasn't even told his wife that she's now a grandmother! 

I think Rebecca might knows that her family doesn't like Jack, but it's her way of being rebellious.  She was always a "good girl" and this is the time for her to be bad.

Yeah, American t.v. pretends class does not exist and anyone who points it out is an asshole. In reality people rarely marry out of their economic, social, and racial demographic.

In my culture it is almost like your parents own your soul and you owe it to them to live your life the exact way that they want. Marrying someone they do not approve of is almost seen as a fate worse than death.

It took me a long time to get out of this toxic mindset and become my own person. I am much happier now for it.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Kevin and Cassidy's hook-up seemed to me to be more of a 'foxhole' thing than the beginning of anything real. She was coming off another fight with her husband, Kevin was stinging from all the Zoe stuff on Instagram(?). I have the feeling they'll both be cringing in the next episode and agreeing to never speak of it again. Or maybe that's just my wishful thinking. 🙂

Is that a thing? "There are no celibates in foxholes."  (JK. I know what you meant). 

BTW, can you really tell--or infer-- if someone had sex based on their IG picture? Or were Cassidy and Nicky just messing with Kevin? 

I loved, "You hit the heart. Now she's going to know I've been stalking her." 

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, Mrs. DuRona said:

It wasn't a jello salad, though.  It was her one dish she could do really well - homemade cranberry sauce.  

Oh, that's right.  So, nevermind. lol I guess the country club crowd would be okay with that. Or, maybe not. lol 

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, topanga said:

Is that a thing? "There are no celibates in foxholes."  (JK. I know what you meant). 

LOL! I was thinking along the lines of people who hook up after (during?) funerals or wakes. Grasping at anything (heh, you've got a dirty mind if you grinned) to make themselves feel better.

• LOL 1
On 10/30/2019 at 8:57 AM, icemiser69 said:
On 10/30/2019 at 2:26 AM, Kirkydee said:

I have a HARD time believing Toby couldn't perform after 9 months. Especially after working out and losing weight. Testosterone will increase, therefore libido will increase.  Unless he's been masturbating, he's ready to explode like Mount St Helen. Perform poorly (and quickly)?  Hell yeah!! Not perform at all? Like Chris Carter would say, "c'mon man"

I really don't want to go there, but I will.

A person having multiple "solo performances" to relieve their horniness may not be able to immediately go back into "plug and play".  It isn't about not wanting to.  It is about being so used to his new "sexual partner" no matter if he is using his righty or lefty, that he can't just turn it on like a light switch when he tries to go back to having sex with the other person in his life.

At risk of TMI, my pregnancies were high, high risk.  Mr Crs said he really had to shut down that part of his being, and turning it back on isn’t like flipping a switch.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

Yeah, American t.v. pretends class does not exist and anyone who points it out is an asshole. In reality people rarely marry out of their economic, social, and racial demographic.

I'm assuming this show will tackle class issues this season with the budding relationship of Deja and Malik.  Jack was trying to talk to Randall about class in the flashback, but Randall shut him down.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Crs97 said:

At risk of TMI, my pregnancies were high, high risk.  Mr Crs said he really had to shut down that part of his being, and turning it back on isn’t like flipping a switch.

Yes, I've heard of men coming home from long periods away at war and not being able to perform for awhile. From what I read this was first observed and documented by doctors around WWI and most of those men at the time believed self pleasure was wrong so it wasn't even related to that.  Some studies showed that testosterone levels lowered as time passed.  The body was just not manufacturing what wasn't needed. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 10/30/2019 at 10:30 AM, DoubleUTeeEff said:

It would have been nice to have a platonic friendship between a man and a woman so of course TIU had to ruin that and have Kevin and Cassidy hook up. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll go back to being friends and no one will be pregnant.  

The Kevin character is just not that type of guy to have a platonic friendship with an attractive woman.   Part of his persona is getting people to love and pay attention to him.

On 10/30/2019 at 4:05 PM, Mars477 said:

Honestly the show desperately needs to give Kate a storyline that isn’t about her weight or her motherhood, both of which are interrelated.  The other Pearson siblings are given the opportunity to have careers and interests that have nothing to do with their gender, not to mention more character depth and complexity.  Kate, though, is 1) a wife and mother, and 2) morbidly obese, and that’s about all there is to her.

They've tried to give her other several story lines that had little nothing to do with weight.. trying to be a singer, working as a personal assistant  to the writer (I think that's what she was??),  trying to be a music teacher and finish college....   

But given her current situation, being a mother of a blind infant, I would like if her story line was primarily about motherhood and family versus her trying to find herself and a career.   I think advocating for her son as he grows up and teaching him to love music could be the thing that makes her happy.  

On 10/30/2019 at 6:41 PM, chocolatine said:

Chrissy has mentioned in several interviews that she only had a few hundred dollars in her checking account when she booked her role, so I can absolutely believe that she said yes to whatever NBC demanded because she couldn't afford to miss out on such a rare opportunity. I probably would have too if I had been in her place. Who knows, maybe she genuinely wanted (and still wants) to lose weight, but has a health condition (such as PCOS) that makes it very difficult?

Either way, I don't think a weight loss contract is enforceable in California.

I would have too.  But I also would tried to get that extra money offered if I lost some weight : ).  

Chrissy has said she suffers from PCOS which does make it difficult to lose weight (and easy to gain).   But there are also hormonal treatments out there that will help.  Her body may not be capable of being a size 4, but there a lot of options out there if she truly was ready to lose weight.  I don't know Chrissy's life to judge, but it's seems as though her weight is her choice.   

Edited by After7Only
  • Love 5

Watching Kate does make me uncomfortable. I really hope that she's as comfortable in her body as she claims. Obesity is a complex issue, so I make no judgments. I read a theory about her today...will post over on Media or Kate thread as it's speculation ......I put it on speculation thread.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

But many are improving their menus to please the millennials. Because they aren’t going to stay if the clubs don’t.  It’s still not super-innovative, but an improvement.  And clubs in more diverse towns are also starting to serve more international cuisines (in my area, this basically means Chinese or Indian inspired dishes).  

• Love 1
23 hours ago, debraran said:

Nicky's line  “We should have taken that hike,” will have Kevin feeling bad I'm sure and we'll see where it goes.

I hope not. Isn't Nicky the one who turned down Kevin's offer to hike? If so, there's nothing for Kevin to feel bad about. He can only do so much and he needs to be respectful of Nicky's wishes. If he says he doesn't want to go for a hike, there's no point in forcing him to do it. Kevin already feels very responsible for Nicky so I don't want him adding to that by feeling guilty for taking Nicky at his word when he said he didn't want to go another hike.

21 hours ago, himela said:

I think Kate and Toby's problem is not the lack of sex rather than the lack of communication and understanding of each other. As we saw, they never resolved the ussue of why Kate acts this way about Toby losing weight. He asks her "why are you doing that?", she avoids the question and when they go home she apologizes (but we still don't know why she acts this way) and then they have sex. The main issue here is still unresolved and that's why it will come up over and over again.

ITA - I mean, yes, they can't go on not having sex forever, but the larger problem is their lack of communication and the lack of honesty when they do talk to each other. Your partner should be the person who you can be completely honest with, not the one who you're keeping secrets from or trying to "protect" by not sharing your feelings.

I give Toby credit for pushing the issue and trying to get Kate to talk to him, but this is why they need to see a therapist. She finds ways to sidestep the issue, not answer the question, change the subject, etc. If they had this conversation with a therapist, they wouldn't let her get away with that kind of stuff.

14 hours ago, qtpye said:

In my culture it is almost like your parents own your soul and you owe it to them to live your life the exact way that they want. Marrying someone they do not approve of is almost seen as a fate worse than death.

It took me a long time to get out of this toxic mindset and become my own person. I am much happier now for it.

I don't think it's true that people rarely marry outside of their race. Of all the weddings I've been to in the past decade, I can only think of two that were NOT interracial. Everyone other wedding I attended was people marrying outside of their race.

In my culture, we are supposed to do everything to please our parents and families but when it came to my relationships, I was like uh, sorry if you don't like this person but whatever. My parents always made it very clear when they didn't like my boyfriends and when I moved in with my now husband, they flat out told me how disappointed they were in me and that I was making a huge mistake. I was like welp,, it's a good thing that I'm the one who will be living with him and not you. I was a very obedient kid but my relationships are where I drew the line.

• Love 9
On 10/29/2019 at 10:04 PM, screenaddict said:

I like Cassidy. I think she is an interesting character. But, unless I'm wrong, she is still married. I'm not comfortable watching this unfold.

Her husband kicked her out of the house.  She is free to do whatever she wants.

• Love 3
On 10/30/2019 at 6:07 PM, Pallas said:

By the time the Big 3 were 9, Rebecca's widowed mother lived in Greenwich, the much more august Alpine of Connecticut. She and her father may have moved there when he accepted a late-career opportunity in NYC or Stamford (where several large firms had moved their HQ's by then). Or, the Malones snuck out of Pittsburgh in the dark of night after their daughter got married to a hard hat at City Hall. 

I was wondering about what happened to the parents.  I don't recall them being in any scenes when the kids were young.  How do we know what happened to Rebecca's father?  Was this covered in an earlier episode?

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I hope not. Isn't Nicky the one who turned down Kevin's offer to hike? If so, there's nothing for Kevin to feel bad about. He can only do so much and he needs to be respectful of Nicky's wishes. If he says he doesn't want to go for a hike, there's no point in forcing him to do it. Kevin already feels very responsible for Nicky so I don't want him adding to that by feeling guilty for taking Nicky at his word when he said he didn't want to go another hike.

My take on that scene was that it was Nicky that was feeling bad/guilty for not taking the hike when Kevin clearly needed the distraction. I think he knew Kevin had someone in the bedroom, even if he didn't know it was Cassidy. To me, he was either a bit guilty (damn, I should've taken the hike and saved you from yourself) or it was snarky/passive-aggressive judgement of Kevin's hook-up. Haven't quite decided which one yet 🙂

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Dminches said:

How do we know what happened to Rebecca's father? 

I don't think we do: I said widowed because Rebecca's mother drove alone to Pittsburgh (more than 400 miles) in the 4th-grade-ish Christmas flashback, with no mention of her father. She also came alone to Jack's funeral. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

My take on that scene was that it was Nicky that was feeling bad/guilty for not taking the hike when Kevin clearly needed the distraction. I think he knew Kevin had someone in the bedroom, even if he didn't know it was Cassidy.

Agreed: Nicky realized that was why shirtless Kevin came out of the bedroom at midday to chase him off, when normally Kevin would be thrilled that Nicky was willing to drop by and fix himself lunch. I think he expressed regret at not helping Kevin distract himself the day before to let Kevin know that he knew Cassidy was there, and that his nephew had screwed up.

Maybe he wasn't sure it was Cassidy. Nicky could simply be reminding Kevin of the adage about not starting a relationship within the first year of sobriety. Or he could be protective of his neighbors for 50 years, in the presence of the Hollywood hot-shot. (Nicky would be sensitive about a Pearson guy's coming into a faraway small town, camping out among the locals and, despite his good heart and best intentions, leaving grief behind.)

But I think he knew who. 

• Love 5
On 10/30/2019 at 12:38 AM, chocolatine said:

Predictable event #4: Rebecca's father trying to get Jack to a status that's "acceptable" to him. That was extremely cliched and didn't add anything to the show.

I hate this whole storyline of the parents being super snooty.  A few episodes when Rebecca's mom made a comment to Jack that his parents must have money was a real eye roller to me.    

I'm also so tired of Jack in flashbacks.  Does Milo try to drop his voice down a few registers?  His general manner of speaking sounds so forced to me that I really hate it any time he's on screen.

Also, I'm trying to understand what it is that Toby finds so enthralling about Kate.  She's the most negative character on the show.  Has a problem with anyone thinner than her.  Instead of supporting Toby, she's derailing him.  What is it to love about her? (I do find Christy Metz beautiful).

• Love 9
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

ITA - I mean, yes, they can't go on not having sex forever, but the larger problem is their lack of communication and the lack of honesty when they do talk to each other. Your partner should be the person who you can be completely honest with, not the one who you're keeping secrets from or trying to "protect" by not sharing your feelings.

I give Toby credit for pushing the issue and trying to get Kate to talk to him, but this is why they need to see a therapist. She finds ways to sidestep the issue, not answer the question, change the subject, etc. If they had this conversation with a therapist, they wouldn't let her get away with that kind of stuff.

I don't think it's true that people rarely marry outside of their race. Of all the weddings I've been to in the past decade, I can only think of two that were NOT interracial. Everyone other wedding I attended was people marrying outside of their race.

In my culture, we are supposed to do everything to please our parents and families but when it came to my relationships, I was like uh, sorry if you don't like this person but whatever. My parents always made it very clear when they didn't like my boyfriends and when I moved in with my now husband, they flat out told me how disappointed they were in me and that I was making a huge mistake. I was like welp,, it's a good thing that I'm the one who will be living with him and not you. I was a very obedient kid but my relationships are where I drew the line.

I am a person of color and besides me, almost every single one of my cousins have married outside their race so it honestly might not be all that uncommon now.

You were very smart to know when to draw the line, it took me years to learn that and I suffered for it.

Rebecca probably has her father on a pedestal and does not know how he thinks someone like Jack will never be good enough for his daughter.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, qtpye said:

YES. I find it very odd.  I hate this entire storyline.  Seems more like a bad soap opera storyline with the snobby parents and blue collar boyfriend.

• Love 10
11 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

I hate this whole storyline of the parents being super snooty.  A few episodes when Rebecca's mom made a comment to Jack that his parents must have money was a real eye roller to me.    

I'm also so tired of Jack in flashbacks.  Does Milo try to drop his voice down a few registers?  His general manner of speaking sounds so forced to me that I really hate it any time he's on screen.

Also, I'm trying to understand what it is that Toby finds so enthralling about Kate.  She's the most negative character on the show.  Has a problem with anyone thinner than her.  Instead of supporting Toby, she's derailing him.  What is it to love about her? (I do find Christy Metz beautiful).

Kate never seems to have an issue attracting guys and heck, she even had that poor anorexic girl begging to be her best friend.

You do have to wonder since she is not the nicest person in the world and can be extremely self centered.

I do think the actress is pretty.

4 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

YES. I find it very odd.  I hate this entire storyline.  Seems more like a bad soap opera storyline with the snobby parents and blue collar boyfriend.

Maybe Jack can one day pull up to the house on a motorcycle, wearing a leather jacket, and pretend that he’s Fonzie.

Edited by qtpye
  • LOL 5
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

I thought I was the only person irritated to no end by this. A few years ago I noticed that Joseph Gordon-Levitt was speaking in a similar, unnaturally deep voice when making public appearances - and it sounded equally strange coming out of his mouth.

Between the ridiculous "tough guy" voice, the super-greasy hair, and the pornstache, Jack is like a rich Hollywood producer's idea of what a working class guy from Pittsburgh is like.

• LOL 3
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, qtpye said:

I am a person of color and besides me, almost every single one of my cousins have married outside their race so it honestly might not be all that uncommon now.

You were very smart to know when to draw the line, it took me years to learn that and I suffered for it.

Rebecca probably has her father on a pedestal and does not know how he thinks someone like Jack will never be good enough for his daughter.

It might not be uncommon for millennials to marry outside of their race/ethnicity/culture* (other than me, all my cousins (so far) have married partners of Chinese heritage, but their partners are all from or have parents from places other than Hong Kong), but marrying outside of one’s socio-economic class is still less common.  Marrying same culture people is still much more common for some communities.  

ETA for the *:  yes, culture is also tied to class, but the above refers more to region. 

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 4

This is probably going to be a wildly unpopular opinion, but when Kevin and Cassidy were talking at the gym, I thought they had good chemistry. *ducks* Yeah, hooking up now is a colossally bad idea, but I'm open to the idea of pairing them off eventually. *ducks again*

I'm beyond tired of Randall's many, many identity crises and there are very few things more boring than golf (actually, there might be none), so that storyline was particularly tough to get through. Still, that last shot was genuinely moving. 

I'm not buying the clueless Rebecca either. She's not that dumb not to understand her father wouldn't approve of her relationship with Jack and it's not like she's being rebellious against him either. The whole thing doesn't feel realistic at all. 

• Love 12

If only Kevin had listened to his own quote about AA's edict on romantic relationships in the first year.  I'm so disappointed in the Cassidy hookup.  It feels sleazy and desperate.  Cassidy was waiting for Kevin to come home (alone), and he sent the redhead young girl away?

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Joana said:

This is probably going to be a wildly unpopular opinion, but when Kevin and Cassidy were talking at the gym, I thought they had good chemistry. *ducks* Yeah, hooking up now is a colossally bad idea, but I'm open to the idea of pairing them off eventually. *ducks again*

I'm beyond tired of Randall's many, many identity crises and there are very few things more boring than golf (actually, there might be none), so that storyline was particularly tough to get through. Still, that last shot was genuinely moving. 

I'm not buying the clueless Rebecca either. She's not that dumb not to understand her father wouldn't approve of her relationship with Jack and it's not like she's being rebellious against him either. The whole thing doesn't feel realistic at all. 

I've always thought Kevin and Cassidy had a nice chemistry. I agree with you on that and I would like to see them together but not right now. Honestly I wouldn't even mind if they ended up being good friends. I'm hoping they realize their hook up was a mistake. Like a lot of people have said we don't see enough platonic relationships with men and woman on tv. If she does end up being the mother of his child, I wouldn't hate it. But I'm still holding out that Kevin ends up being a single father. 

• Love 3
On 10/31/2019 at 8:16 AM, NoReally said:

Very true. Even as an amateur, Tiger was a god, and he did get a ton of press and TV coverage. I saw him play in the U.S. Open at Oakland Hills in '96 (which I believe was his last tournament as an amateur), and there was a huge crowd following him around.

Sorry for the off-topic digression. Golf nerd here.

Not a golf nerd, but I live really close to Stanford University.  Tiger got enormous press when he was a Stanford student.

Looks like Sterling Brown is pretty good at it too.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Not a golf nerd, but I live really close to Stanford University.  Tiger got enormous press when he was a Stanford student.

Looks like Sterling Brown is pretty good at it too.

I'm old enough to remember seeing Tiger on Merv Griffin when he was two years old, and a couple years after that on That's Incredible.  He's been a phenomenon literally his whole life.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 10/30/2019 at 12:39 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

I'm still thinking Zoe will come into the picture again, but who knows. I think she'll come around to having kids.  I think they're just keeping her away for now because there's still 2 seasons left and they need Kevin to be involved with other things/people.. but I feel like she'll be back.

Or maybe he'll come around to not wanting kids. 

On 11/1/2019 at 10:10 AM, sasha206 said:

That's the problem.  Writers of TV shows target a certain segment of society so they make people like Rebecca's parents seem like snobs (even though her dad also grew up blue collar).  I don't know if it's writers not having done enough research or if it's written to mock the upper middle class.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I also like Kevin and Cassidy as a couple. Maybe she is the one who can finally show him that he needs to get over losing a parent twenty years ago and that his first world problems are nothing compared to what other people are dealing with. 

Along with lowering his vocal register, Milo also has a way of pursing his lips and literally talking out of the side of his mouth that I find very annoying. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Johnny Dollar said:

Along with lowering his vocal register, Milo also has a way of pursing his lips and literally talking out of the side of his mouth that I find very annoying. 

He was born with damaged nerves on the left side of his mouth; that's why one side doesn't move. (But, yeah, it can be distracting sometimes.)

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The actor who plays Cassidy's husband (actor: Nick Welsher) was on "Chicago PD".  Good thing Voight isn't around or Kevin might just disappear.

He was also on Revenge. Emily and/or Amanda might have had a word with Kevin, as well.

11 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Once people have seen one stiff.....

Ba-dum psshhhh 🙂

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Useful 1