Type keyword(s) to search

Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

MarkHB
  • Start Topic

On 9/12/2020 at 10:08 AM, starri said:

I would happily pay for this on VOD, although I know Patty Jenkins (in a much more humble way) is as insistent as Christopher Nolan that it be seen on the big screen. 

I saw a pretty good comment under a YouTube video about the additional pushback that said something like, “At this point, they should just release it VOD.  It’s disappointing, but so is 2020.”

I think that’s right for any blockbuster movie like this that is scheduled to come out in the next 9+ months.  Either delay it an additional year+, or if that has you bumping up against other films in your development slate that are now finishing production or are in post, just get what money you can out of your marketing investment and write off the losses.  I just don’t see a critical mass of people wanting to venture out for this film at Christmas this year.

• Love 2

I heard that next year is full up so they can't push it back any further unless they start pushing back all the movies. 

By December WW84 would've been delayed for a year. They might as well release the 2020 movies on VOD and take the hit. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I saw a pretty good comment under a YouTube video about the additional pushback that said something like, “At this point, they should just release it VOD.  It’s disappointing, but so is 2020.”

I just read an article about Tenet's box office, which was a huge disappointment in the US.

Releasing movies on demand, even at a marquee price, to try to recoup costs isn’t workable for a film as expensive as Tenet or Wonder Woman 1984. Disney recently attempted a hybrid approach for Mulan, putting it in theaters internationally while charging Disney+ subscribers $30 to watch it at home. Its opening in China was underwhelming ($23 million), and although Disney hasn’t provided official data on streaming grosses, industry estimates have them pegged at around $33 million over Labor Day—not nearly enough for a movie budgeted at $200 million.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't think Mulan is good indicator since it was riddled with controversy that the other movies don't have. They should release at a cost on HBO Max since that service is not doing that well. 

I'd rather have it on regular VOD because I really hate it when only one streaming service buys a movie, making us feel like we need to subscribe to a bunch of other services just to watch a certain movie. 

This is why I miss the theaters...

• Love 2
6 hours ago, xaxat said:

I just read an article about Tenet's box office, which was a huge disappointment in the US.

Releasing movies on demand, even at a marquee price, to try to recoup costs isn’t workable for a film as expensive as Tenet or Wonder Woman 1984. Disney recently attempted a hybrid approach for Mulan, putting it in theaters internationally while charging Disney+ subscribers $30 to watch it at home. Its opening in China was underwhelming ($23 million), and although Disney hasn’t provided official data on streaming grosses, industry estimates have them pegged at around $33 million over Labor Day—not nearly enough for a movie budgeted at $200 million.

I enjoyed Mulan but it probably would have been a disappointment even if it had opened in theaters. It’s a movie that targeted Chinese audiences without a real understanding of that market. I’m sure it would have made more money than it has on Disney+ but I can’t see it finding much more of an audience. 

3 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

They should release at a cost on HBO Max since that service is not doing that well. 

I think that would really backfire because HBO Max is already the most expensive streaming service. Plus HBO Max still isn’t available in Roku or Amazon. 

Edited by Guest
On 9/15/2020 at 10:01 PM, Dani said:

I think that would really backfire because HBO Max is already the most expensive streaming service. Plus HBO Max still isn’t available in Roku or Amazon. 

Yeah, that would be terrible for Wonder Woman 1984 to debut on that.  The whole launch was a disaster, and that's with Fresh Prince, Big Bang Theory, and Friends.  Luckily for HBO, Peacock is apparently even worse.

• Love 2
On 8/27/2020 at 6:53 PM, starri said:

I just wish they were taking a page from the most recent origin story for Cheetah from DC Rebirth.  She was a professor of archeology who was the only person who could communicate with Diana when she first came to Man's World.  They became besties and Barbara had a relationship with Etta Candy.  And then she was tricked into becoming the Cheetah.

Wait, they gave Barbara the Julia Kapatelis role in Diana's story?

On 9/13/2020 at 12:33 PM, MarkHB said:

The theaters in my state are open, but the main chain (which isn't very big) is telling their Facebook followers that "we'll happily sell you popcorn regardless of whether you're going to a movie."

I'll happily pay for movie popcorn without going to a movie if it's popped fresh on-site with the same flavor it had when I was a kid, at the same prices. Your move, theaters—otherwise I'm sticking with Orville Redenbacher at about 70¢ per bag.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Yes, although instead of foster mom, Barbara was Diana's BFF.  It was a really good, and quite tragic, rewrite.

Impractical with the film Diana, given that she's been in Man's World for 70 years, but I couldn't help wishing for some version of it.

• Love 1
On 9/19/2020 at 8:32 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I've been kicking this idea around for something they COULD have done in this film.  When Diana got back to London at the end of the first film, who did she know? Steve was dead, the Oddfellows were likely scattered... the only person we know she knew, and we see this in the Trafalgar Square scene at the end of the film, is Etta. So my idea is this: she stayed friends with Etta, who eventually married, and Etta's family knew her "secret".  By the time we get to 1984, Etta of course has passed away, but her granddaughter or great-granddaughter (also played by Lucy Davis but without the fat suit) is still Diana's extended family if you will... and she has a tween daughter named Julia.  Get to the third film, Julia has grown up, has a daughter of her own named Vanessa... and we tell the Silver Swan story.  Gets us a nice arc and also drives home the idea of Diana being immortal while her friends age around her.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

By the time we get to 1984, Etta of course has passed away, but her granddaughter or great-granddaughter (also played by Lucy Davis but without the fat suit)

She doesn’t wear a fat suit in WW. I really don’t understand why so many people jumped to that conclusion when there is nothing to support it. 

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

We'd better not see any bad video game-y final battle special effects or unconvincingly-erased mustaches in this movie after all the extra time they've had to polish post-production.

Time? Yes. Money? Ehhhhh....

22 hours ago, Trini said:

Time? Yes. Money? Ehhhhh....

I think this has been done-and-done for close to a year (if not longer, depending on what was done between the November and June release dates). And it didn't have any execs saying "You have to reshoot the movie in 2 months, regardless of the principal actors' availability, and make sure it's no longer than 2 hours."

Plus I'm not sure that Chris Pine can even grow a moustache.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Plus I'm not sure that Chris Pine can even grow a moustache.

HOW DARE YOU

😛

635b5de9867e97a2924bae6b6116b0d9cc04ce0c

(I don't have any more info on this cover than tumblr did; it's a fairly recent Chinese magazine.)

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

Do you mean that photo to be argument for, or against😂

LOL! I meant 'for', but take it as you will! I'm sure there are better pics of his facial hair, but I was trying to stay on topic. 😄

• Love 2

Variety: ‘Wonder Woman 1984’: Warner Bros. Mulls January HBO Max Release or Delay to Summer 2021

Six weeks before “Wonder Woman 1984” is scheduled to open in theaters on Christmas, Warner Bros. execs are considering whether to push the highly anticipated superhero sequel to the summer of 2021, or keep the movie on its Dec. 25 theatrical debut and then put it on the HBO Max streaming service in early January, according to sources with knowledge of the plans.

The way things are going with the virus rebounding, it's likely that even where I am the theaters (which have been open since July to poor crowds) will be closed again by Christmas. So I'd be surprised if they'd try to do a theatrical release if NY and LA aren't open.

Worst decision Warner Bros. has made in the last 3 years is either pushing WW84 out of 2019, or merging with AT&T.

• Love 5
On 11/14/2020 at 1:00 PM, MarkHB said:

The way things are going with the virus rebounding, it's likely that even where I am the theaters (which have been open since July to poor crowds) will be closed again by Christmas. So I'd be surprised if they'd try to do a theatrical release if NY and LA aren't open.

Worst decision Warner Bros. has made in the last 3 years is either pushing WW84 out of 2019, or merging with AT&T.

I still don't understand why the movie was moved from November 2019. 😞

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

We were robbed! ROBBED! *breaks down weeping at what might have been*

Same. May this be a lesson: don’t push back movie releases for unclear reasons. If the movie is done, release it.

It may behoove them to perhaps do some market research on who would still see the movie in theatres even after it’s streamed on TV. Personally, I know I would still see this movie in theatres because that’s how I feel it should be seen.

They also need to go ahead and start writing and pre-production on the third movie. Given the delays, WW3 needs to come out no later than 18 months after WW84.

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Couldn’t they have just put it on regular VOD instead?!

*sigh*

Okay so can you just do the 30 day free trial for HBO Max? Or do you they make you pay with no free trial?

I think they have a 7 day trial. 

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Couldn’t they have just put it on regular VOD instead?!

"Make HBO Max succeed" is pretty much the Prime Directive at AT&T these days. I just hope they get the Roku situation worked out.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

I think they have a 7 day trial. 

Yes. Although I wouldn’t be surprised if they stop offering the free trial like Disney+ did before Hamilton. 

2 hours ago, MarkHB said:

"Make HBO Max succeed" is pretty much the Prime Directive at AT&T these days. I just hope they get the Roku situation worked out.

This explains why they finally made the deal with Amazon. I wonder if they are going to to finally add 4K. 

I guess I'm not actually too surprised with the news even though it would have been unthinkable a few months ago and the amount of new subscribers just for this seems a bit doubtful. They clearly do want HBO Max to succeed with just how much money they're spending on JLSC.

I'll probably be watching it through Amazon. 

Who knows it might surprise everyone in its success like it did at the BO last time. (Hopeful for once!)

Edited by Featherhat

HBO Max is a good service that could be a great service if they'd only put more of the Warner archive on it.

As much as I would like to see it on the big screen, I fully support this move.  I can't imagine theaters in NYC will open before the spring, and it's nice to have SOMETHING to get us through the next few months.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, starri said:

HBO Max is a good service that could be a great service if they'd only put more of the Warner archive on it.

As much as I would like to see it on the big screen, I fully support this move.  I can't imagine theaters in NYC will open before the spring, and it's nice to have SOMETHING to get us through the next few months.  

Yeah, beggars can’t be choosers. I’m sure the third movie will be in theaters. We’ll just make up for it then😉

Edited by Spartan Girl
On 11/19/2020 at 3:07 AM, starri said:

They really need to drop their rotating content plan and just work on adding as much content as they can. They can’t do anything about pre-existing deals but they need to stop wasting content they do have. 

I wonder if they were able to postpone the other DC movies from leaving in December. I can’t imagine people who sign up for WW84 will react well if most of the movies are missing or immediately leaving. 

Edited by Guest
10 hours ago, Trini said:

IMAX featurette with new clips of some action sequences:

I like how it promotes watching on an actual IMAX film screen when those are becoming scarcer and scarcer. I believe there's only one in New England that shows popular films and it's on the Connecticut coastline.