Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: Careful What You Witch For

• Start Topic

THE STRUGGLE IS REAL — While Mel (Melonie Diaz) and Harry (Rupert Evans) try to crack the Book of Elders, Macy (Madeleine Mantock) struggles with the good and bad aspects of her demon side. Maggie (Sarah Jeffery) competes with Jordan (Jordan Donica) for a promotion. Macy ventures out alone and meets an injured and terrified witch named Abigael (Poppy Drayton). Mel and Harry visit another dimension. Gina Lamar directed the episode written by Nicki Renna (#203). Original airdate 10/25/2019.

I enjoyed abigael... For a bit thought she may have been the actual overlord.. But maybe she really is as she claims.. I hope I'm right.. She sizzled with Macy.. Then again damn near everyone does.. I felt for Maggie she needed to do what she did.. But it weighed on her... Looks like there were some Ill effects to the astral plane trip for Katrina... 

• Love 2

Oh show, what am I going to do with you. I was left more bewildered by this episode than anything. I still don't love the safe space location. Though I do have a guess about why Elders Central is stationed there that is solely informed by my familiarity with supernatural shows as a medium. In the first episode, Macy viewed a plaque on the wall that mentioned that the building was built on the grounds of an insane asylum whose residents were thought to be witches tortured out of their power by the asylum staff. If I'm remembering it right, there was also a mention of a secret tunnel that they may have dug for escape? Perhaps those witches were the original elders or connected to them in someway? 

As far as the episode itself goes. I liked Macy's plot. It required less torturous leaps for me than some of the others, though leaps remained.  Why are Macy and Maggie talking in full hearing of Abigail? I mean I guess she already knew Macy's name so their cover would eventually get blown, but...a leap nonetheless. Still, I could at least follow what was happening, Macy is desperately trying to save the magical world on her own by relying on her demon powers, but it's a lost cause. She's been hardened by the events of last season(loosing Galvin), and she's now alienated from her sisters and Harry(because his double is invading her mind with sexy dreams). In general, I feel like Macy is actually in a different show than all the other characters. And it may not be the most inspired show(demon families, demon overlord etc etc, very original charmed actually complete with the leather in place of budget, but also a pinch of Supernatural and maybe Lost Girl), but it's one that has a stakes, mystery and actual magic. I agree on the chemistry with Abigail. They had my favorite scenes of the night and I'm happy she seems to be around for at least another episode. May she be better served than Jada. 

Another guess based on nothing but my previous television habits, Evil!Harry is shooting witches with darts because he's looking for the overlord or his spawn. Perhaps the demon blood running through Abigail and Macy's veins, by birth or by resurrection, is the bloodline of the original overlord(or the Source by any other name)?

On the flipside, Maggie is stuck in a workplace romcom(like she was stuck in a college comedy last season with double the sorority cliches) and Mel is taking acid trips with Harry in search for relevance(or for a very cheap looking maguffin), and those shows are more perplexing to me. Like when Mel's love interest talked about their special connection, I started to wonder if I'd missed something. I guess that ended up not being real, but I don't quite know what's going on there. Maggie's plot? I'd honestly rather see the girls selling magical cures on the streets of Seattle or antiques from their house for money. But no such luck. Hopefully they can be guided back to the plot any episode now. 

Edited by Mikay
  • Love 3

I actually didn't mind this episode.  I thought the three different storylines were different and engaging enough.  

I liked seeing Mel with Harry.  Visiting another plane was an interesting idea and a good way to include that store owner (still can't remember her name).  I'm getting kind of impatient with them failing to get their powers back, though.  Hopefully, now that they can translate the Book of Elders, they will get their powers back soon.  

Maggie getting the assistant manager job was a stretch, though she did use magic.  I thought Mel would be applying for it.  I felt a little badly for that boxing guy (can't remember his name either), though surely, he's going to stick around somehow. Wouldn't people be suspicious seeing non-employees like Maggie, Mel and Harry walking through that unauthorized entry door all the time?  

I liked the new witch/demon initially, but I hate watching moles or evil characters undercover duping the protagonists, so I have mixed feelings about her presence.  

• Love 1

I cant work out why Abigail was trying to kill Macy, and then suddenly changed her mind. I'm not sure why  the green scar made a difference. Did I miss something?

And why did it take until the last second for the fortress/command centre to recognise a breach?

Edited by dini
typo!
  • Love 5

So wait, was Abigail evil or not? She almost stabbed Macy, but she was also targeted by Not Harry the Darklighter? And that means everything's cool now? I am legit confused. 

I do appreciate that they dealt quickly with the girls not having background anymore, even if it means that Maggie had to cheat and the boxer guy lost out on the job. I hope that they develop the setting more soon, I am already tired of the random building and basement. Are they shooting in Seattle? Because there is a ton more you can shoot in Seattle! 

I liked the astroplane with Harry and Mel, I always like their dynamic and the keeper guy was an interesting character. Not a bad plot, even if I am not riveted by Mels new love interest. 

Geoffrey Blake, the actor who played the Sentinel in the astral plane, also appeared in the OG series. He played one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Strife, to be specific). 

I cant work out why Abigail was trying to kill Macy, and then suddenly changed her mind. I'm not sure why  the green scar made a difference. Did I miss something?

I didn't get this either. They were both apparently attacked by the same assassin, I'm assuming. Does Abigail think killing other witches will cure the infection or something? We're definitely missing some info here.

And it's extremely annoying that we have this new character who has some weird, vaguely defined psychokinetic power while Maggie and Mel are powerless. I just don't get the rationale for this plot point at all.

I also think everyone is assuming the demon (or whatever he is) that looks like Harry is a shapeshifter, but I think it's probably going to turn out to be Harry himself, either from the future or some other timeline.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I'll wait one episode for this new witch to have some better explanations... Because yeah trying to kill macy.. Then just letting it go seems sketchy.. And she knows more than she's letting on... Callum the demon knew her.. And he's def not the overlord... So was she lying to get him off her tail.... Is the assassin only going after demon/witch hybrids?...  I mean macy has always been the sister I was most interested in so I'm glad all this is swirling around her.. But I could still use some answers 

9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I didn't get this either. They were both apparently attacked by the same assassin, I'm assuming. 

On 10/27/2019 at 2:13 AM, dini said:

I cant work out why Abigail was trying to kill Macy, and then suddenly changed her mind. I'm not sure why  the green scar made a difference. Did I miss something?

My CW feed cut out when Macy saw Abigail's green scar, but from these comments, I guess I didn't miss much.  

It makes no sense at all.  A tried to kill you.  B tried to kill you.  You find out A tried to kill B too, hence, B is fine and dandy to have around?  

Nice to see Poppy Drayton from "The Shannara Chronicles" again.  She's already listed as a regular for season 2.  This episode was somewhat confusing.  Did Mel and Harry give up their powers to keep Katrina worm-free?

1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

Nice to see Poppy Drayton from "The Shannara Chronicles" again.  She's already listed as a regular for season 2.  This episode was somewhat confusing.  Did Mel and Harry give up their powers to keep Katrina worm-free?

Naw.. They were still on the astral plane in some kinda test by the guardian gardener... So when they figured it out.. He gave them the scarab looking thing to help decode the book of elders

• Love 1

The way I see it, Season 2 is literally a new show.  They've rebooted the whole thing - almost like nothing that came before happened really.  I take it almost as if this is the start of the show.  And for me - it works.  But I didn't watch Supernatural, so.

They've been layering in nice heartfelt moments to drive the story - along with the darker supernatural parts and I really like it.

Thanks to who pointed out Poppy - I knew I'd seen her somewhere before but couldn't remember where.

The one thing I really like this season is that Harry is no longer a caricature like he was for the few episodes I saw in S1 - he's not male Mary Poppins, lol.  This season he seems to have far more depth and the actor is showing some serious range.

Is there going to be any consequence of Maggie using that spell to influence the manager to get that job?