Glory
  • Start Topic

(edited)

F01fIapaYAEyxTW?format=jpg&name=large

FyljHZzaUAA9qp6.jpg

FyljNbSaEAAdZ4C.jpg

FylkDGnaAAASkK8.jpg

In a slightly related vein:

‘Wheel of Time’ Animated Feature ‘The White Tower’ Underway with iwot and Squeeze

The White Tower will be a feature-length animated film inspired by Robert Jordan’s The Wheel of Time fantasy epic. It is still very early in the production process.

The animated feature will be set in a time before the events chronicled in the popular The Wheel of Time television series from Amazon Studios and Sony Pictures Television.

It is an action-adventure about a young girl with a special gift whose life is forever changed when evil visits her remote mountain village. Finding herself alone in a dangerous world, she must go to The White Tower to learn how to use her magical powers in order to save her family and friends. Rebellious and distrusting, she learns that friendship can be as powerful a weapon against evil as any form of magic.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Like 2

Holy shit that looks totally bonkers.

The White Tower looks even more magnificent than was in my head. And in a turn of events, LanfearSelene actually looks like I thought. 

What was the bloody figure with the long hair? 

We've discussed all the changes they've made from the books; mostly, I think we agree that they needed to be made in translating to television. I have to say, the smartest was making Lan an actual person that talks. Lan training Rand is really a crucial character development, and it appears that they get this. 

Is season 2 only covering Book 2? I'm chomping for the scene with Callandor, Ish, and Rand, but we have a ways to go to get there. Actually, the whole breaking in to the Stone up to that is probably my favorite in the entire series. 

• Like 1

I’m going to post this here and in the episode eight thread: Amazon Prime has added an about four minute sneak peek scene from season two right after the very end of the episode. 

Edited by Boadicea
  • Like 3
On 7/19/2023 at 4:41 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Holy shit that looks totally bonkers.

The White Tower looks even more magnificent than was in my head. And in a turn of events, LanfearSelene actually looks like I thought. 

What was the bloody figure with the long hair? 

We've discussed all the changes they've made from the books; mostly, I think we agree that they needed to be made in translating to television. I have to say, the smartest was making Lan an actual person that talks. Lan training Rand is really a crucial character development, and it appears that they get this. 

Is season 2 only covering Book 2? I'm chomping for the scene with Callandor, Ish, and Rand, but we have a ways to go to get there. Actually, the whole breaking in to the Stone up to that is probably my favorite in the entire series. 

We have our Faile

• Like 2

Lan Mandragoran (Daniel Henney) and Moiraine Damodred (Rosamund Pike)
F3qXqWCaAAA0Tiv.jpg
Rand al’Thor (Josha Stradowski) and Selene (Natasha O’Keeffe)
F3qhn-CbQAE_pvz.jpg
Elayne Trakand (Ceara Coveney) and Egwene al’Vere (Madeleine Madden) 
F3qhxdWa0AAMK9s.jpg
Liandrin Guirale (Kate Fleetwood) and Nynaeve al’Meara (Zoë Robins)
F3qh4NfbUAAU8ez.jpg
Aviendha (Ayoola Smart) and Perrin Aybara (Marcus Rutherford)
F3qiANCb0AAAg7F.jpg
Min Farshaw (Kae Alexander) and Mat Cauthon (Donal Finn) 
F3qiGLia4AA3TSW.jpg
Ishamael (Fares Fares) and High Lady Suroth (Karima McAdams)
F3qiMUmbsAAdEKn.jpg

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Elayne looks way young. 

If memory serves, Elayne is a few years younger than Rand, Mat, Perrin and Aviendha. Min is a bit older than Rand and Aviendha, and Nynaeve a bit older than Min.

That mask/helmet thing for High Lady Suroth looks fantastic but wearing it must have been awful for the actress.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

If we have Selene, I'm wondering how much of the time they're going to spend on the portal stones. That was a huge chunk of rambling around tbh. 

We did see the portal stones in the first season, so I suspect they'll be coming up - and one of the portal stone scenes is one of my favorite bits from The Great Hunt so I'm kinda hoping it's included, although from a perspective of "let's focus on the plot, thanks," I can understand leaving it out. 

• Like 1

Did we just see them, or did they use them?

The portal stones are reasonably important because don't they actually go to Seanchan? Doing that, and then, uh oh, these people are here now? is a good reveal. But it's fair to suggest they need to streamline that for tv. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

Did we just see them, or did they use them?

The portal stones are reasonably important because don't they actually go to Seanchan? Doing that, and then, uh oh, these people are here now? is a good reveal. But it's fair to suggest they need to streamline that for tv. 

I don't remember any of the characters using them, but Rand spent some time looking at one and pointing it out to Mat, shortly before they entered Tal Valon.

That could have been just a nice nod to book readers, or an indication that they will be used later in the series.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

They must have to get to Callandor, no?

My guess is that Callandor is pushed to later in the series.

RJ set it up as a clear end-game weapon for Rand - he gets it in the book after he loses his heron-mark sword, it can cut through weaves and be channelled into to make it more powerful.

But then he realised he had a lot of books left to write and it was too powerful for Rand, allowing him to solve any problem. So Rand realises the same thing, and leaves it in Tear.

I think Falme will serve as a show-version of Tear from The Shadow Rising.

• Like 2

It's looks like that from Falme because they had the prophecy of the Dragon revealing himself. Callandor is really the actual, "ok you are really the Dragon" though. He can still leave it there and have Moraine say something like, "we should table this right now because everyone is going to freak out if they see you coming with that". 

I think going into the Three-Fold land, in the show Rand would want to have the confidence in knowing he's the actual Dragon because of their prophecies and what he learns in the stones, and then you got the other guy proclaiming himself. "Uh, no, I pulled the sword out". Plus he meets all the Aiel when they bust into Tear. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

It's looks like that from Falme because they had the prophecy of the Dragon revealing himself. Callandor is really the actual, "ok you are really the Dragon" though. He can still leave it there and have Moraine say something like, "we should table this right now because everyone is going to freak out if they see you coming with that". 

I think going into the Three-Fold land, in the show Rand would want to have the confidence in knowing he's the actual Dragon because of their prophecies and what he learns in the stones, and then you got the other guy proclaiming himself. "Uh, no, I pulled the sword out". Plus he meets all the Aiel when they bust into Tear. 

I don't think the show has had Rand doubt he's the Dragon Reborn, like the books did. He's accepted his destiny from the off (though the show sadly hasn't mentioned any of the dying for mankind stuff yet). So Callandor isn't needed to really prove it to himself.

I've seen some people suggest that the Callandor prophecy might be changed slightly, and it might be what Couladin crosses the Dragonwall to achieve - he gets to Tear first and seizes it, he proves himself the Car'a'carn. The fact Aiel are forbidden from touching swords would make Couladin's transgressions even more severe.

• Like 2

Well, he wouldn't be able to pull the sword out because he isn't the actual Car'a'carn. I suppose that would achieve the same end. 

It's a political tool too. It's smart of Rand to stick it back there to make sure Tear will play ball. I know it's not the most engaging plots, but Rand does have to navigate several nations' political nonsense to get everyone on the same page. The show has to tackle that somehow. 

I was just doing a search and this is what came up - Why does Rand put up with Cadsuane?

• Like 1

I hope they release that scene eventually for book readers, but I have to say, I don't think the show spent enough time with that character to make that scene emotionally satisfying, and I understand why it was cut.

• Like 3