Type keyword(s) to search

Wheel of Time in the Media

Glory
  • Start Topic

53 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

The Wheel of Time-piece from Tockr.  

Limited Series of “The Wheel of Time” officially licensed Timepiece is available for Pre-order for $449.00 and should ship in 4-6 weeks.

Even if I needed a new watch, it wouldn't be this one. The numbers are missing. I hate removing functionality from a tool and turning it into just an object. Just ask my parents. They seem to like clocks without the numbers, and I've bashed their ears about it a few times.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

What's the significance of the snakes on the watch?

Probably an ouroboros reference.

The ouroboros is often interpreted as a symbol for eternal cyclic renewal or a cycle of life, death, and rebirth. The skin-sloughing process of snakes symbolizes the transmigration of souls

You could take that as the circular nature of time, and reincarnation.

1 hour ago, DoctorAtomic said:

You'd think the wheel or the Aes Sedai symbol would be more apt. You show me that watch with no context, I'm not coming up with Wheel of Time. 

That's fair enough. I didn't design the thing, just trying to make sense of these strange decisions. :)

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

You'd think the wheel or the Aes Sedai symbol would be more apt. You show me that watch with no context, I'm not coming up with Wheel of Time. 

It is way more obvious if you wear the watch face down.

tockr-x-the-wheel-of-time-526398.jpg?v=1

They should have put the drawing from the back, on the front. Maybe as an intricate 3D object under the glass, that might have been worth owning. You have plenty of space since you don't need that room for numbers.

Edited by AnimeMania
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

It is way more obvious if you wear the watch face down.

They should have put the drawing from the back, on the front. Maybe as an intricate 3D object under the glass, that might have been worth owning. You have plenty of space since you don't need that room for numbers.

Yes, that's a better design. And I was right about the ouroboros.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

What's the significance of the snakes on the watch?

Instead of an ouroboros, I was thinking dragons

Spoiler

In particular, the twin dragons that run down Rand's arms... while he still has two arms that is.

• Love 1

Miss Banner has finished the reconstruction of Moraine's White Tower dress. Even if you're not into historical garment making techniques or sewing in general it's worth a look for the supreme geekery at 2:50 first by justifying the addition of an invisible zipper and then by the explanation of how this is being done ;)

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 4/15/2022 at 7:58 PM, AnimeMania said:

The Wheel of Time Season 2 Casts Justice League Actor as Bayle Domon

The Wheel of Time has cast Julian Lewis Jones as Bayle Domon in Season 2 of the Prime Video series. Bayle Domon, appears in The Eye of the World, the first novel in author Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time fantasy series, but has an even larger role in the second novel, The Great Hunt.

And Katie Lueng from Harry Potter as a Brown sister .

So plenty of pehs with ingin bridies to go around - Katie is from Dundee the land of DC Thomson and Dennis the Menace and the two football teams across the street fron one another

• Love 1

Finally we know who is playing Aviendha. I'm not familiar with the actress, but from the picture, she looks like a good choice - someone who can play stubborn and vulnerable both. And an interesting contrast to Elayne.

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Finally we know who is playing Aviendha. I'm not familiar with the actress, but from the picture, she looks like a good choice - someone who can play stubborn and vulnerable both. And an interesting contrast to Elayne.

She was in Killing Eve and Les Miz on the BeeB as Lily Collins' friend Zephine

Ehpwju8XkAAPTry.jpg:large

Her and Fiona Shaw on Eve which is weird as they come from Cork

Edited by Humbugged
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Season 2 will have the same number of episodes (8), but they will be longer.

Good! A little more breathing room is no bad thing. Even though the second book is actually shorter. Maybe it'll pull in stuff from book three as well.

• Love 3

I've been seeing this trend of supersized episodes lately, most notably Stranger Things. I'm glad to have more show, but it can be a bit much. I'm not sure overall what the advantage is between 8 episodes at 90 minutes, for example, vs 12 at 60 minutes. The show is fairly serialized so you're telling the same story. 

I think you're pushing the boundary of the audience once you're getting to the 75 minute mark. 

• Like 2

Even being serialised - they want an end point for each episode - even the Netflix model of releasing the entire season at once for binge-watching. Unlike Netflix shows, WoT is released an episode per week; so each episode needs a degree of being self-contained.

S01's problem was a lack of time (well, that and Covid) - especially in the first episode, where we're getting to know the principals.

Now that the introductions have been made, I don't really mind if they get their extra time by adding 2 lots of 60 minutes or 8 lots of 15 minutes.

Edited by Which Tyler
  • Love 1

I just personally don't have a huge amount of time to devote to a 90 minute episode. I suppose I can keep my usual viewing on Friday nights. I don't like falling too behind on this particular show because I don't want to miss out on the discussion. 

Some interesting clips in that sneak peek. The Seanchan look amazing, and there are a few shots that seem like they're from various Testings or Dreams, rather than actually happening - Nynaeve with a sword, Rand on the wheel - but I could be wrong.

Nothing of the new characters yet, but everything looks bigger and grander. Hopefully they've managed to expand the world in the same way Robert Jordan did when he wrote book two.

• Love 1

‘The Wheel Of Time’ Adds To Season 2 Cast: Chiad & Bain Among 4 New Recurring Characters

Maja Simonsen as Chiad, a Maiden of the Spear of the Stones River sept of the Goshien Aiel who is bonded as a first-sister to Bain.

Ragga Ragnars (former Olympic swimmer) as Bain

Jay Duffy is Dain Bornhald, a high-ranking officer of the Children of the Light.

Rima Te Wiata is Sheriam Bayanar, an influential Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah.

• Useful 1
On 5/12/2023 at 11:33 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

Nice bland statement on Verin there. 

This is actually the first character that kind of fits how they looked in my head. 

Allana looks exactly like she looks in thw WoT Guide Book that RJ wroe and her had her drwan at very Asian  . She got a Fellowship award at the BAFTAs that was given to her by Adrian Lester whose wife it in the show as Egwene's mother - her sister does the main news on the Beeb at 10pm

• Like 1

I don't tend to visualise characters clearly in my head, but I've thought from the first casting news that Meera Syal is perfect for Verin. That matronly, slightly flustered but unnervingly knowing demeanour fits her to a tee.

Some of the other casting that's been announced has disappointed me, and I do have concerns about how the second book is going to be adapted without sacrificing some of my favourite parts, but at least Verin is right.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1