Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Shoplifter Rehab

Aulty

Amy, Jonah and Glenn hatch a plan to make Amy look like a tough boss after she loses face in front of the district manager. Dina recruits Mateo to help her run Cloud 9's shoplifter rehabilitation program -- with a few of Dina's personal tweaks.

Original Air Date: November 7th 2019

Edited by Aulty
9 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Sandra managed to figure out just in time that Carol was going to kill her / leave her for dead. 

I literally said, out loud, "Don't eat that!" when they were cake-tasting. And when Carol said "And now, we wait" I was like "SEE?"

Glad to see more Justina Machado (whoever said last week she was going to be evil was right), but Amy is in between a rock and a hard place.

• Love 7

I wonder if the show changing to "you have to watch every single episode if you want to be able to follow the plot" will effect the viewership. Anybody viewing casually "an episode here and there" would be completely lost, plot wise.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I wonder if the show changing to "you have to watch every single episode if you want to be able to follow the plot" will effect the viewership.

I don't think anything had changed. The show has always had long story arcs that played out over an extended time. They weren't always at the forefront of every episode, but they were there:

Jonah/Amy/Kelly

Jeff/Mateo

Dina/Amy pregnancy

Dina/Garrett

Mateo's Immigration status

Corporate/Unionization/Myrtle

Sandra/Carol/Jerry

• Love 7

I came to the show late and I know there's a lot of stuff about the characters that I don't know (e.g. Amy's back story re: her ex and two kids), but the fact that the show is contained completely in the store makes it a bit easier. And there are enough one-off things (all the weird shoppers!) that make it entertaining to me regardless.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Glad to see more Justina Machado (whoever said last week she was going to be evil was right), but Amy is in between a rock and a hard place.

Is she evil?  Is it not possible that she really was looking out for Amy?  She could have reported her, even without the union cards as evidence.  And she didn't even mention the fact that someone must have broken into her car to retrieve the cards.

• Love 5

Way to go Sandra, run for it! 

Justina Machado is so great, she really did seem terrifyingly devious at that lunch. Maybe she does really like Amy and see her as someone who is like her, and wants to look out for her, but it sure is convenient that she shows up and sticks around, taking a personal interest in Amy, right when their branch is trying to unionize. Yeah, "dont do anything to jeopardize your future" does sound a whole lot like "your career is screwed if this place unionizes." 

• Love 12

The thing that stuck out to me is that in the few minutes that Glenn became manager again, he was actually doing manager things. He was checking the stock, sending employees to clean up spills, and walking the floor to see what needed to be done. We hardly ever see Amy do any of that; she mainly sits in her office and talks to Jonah about how she's afraid she's going to lose her job.  I mean, Glenn hiring Bo was not the greatest idea, but he's not much worse than anyone else who works there.

Before last night, did we know Dina's last name was Fox?

• Love 15
2 hours ago, ShelleySue said:

I'm trying to figure out what has to happen for me to stop watching this show.  I really used to like it but I'm reaching the tipping point of being more annoyed with the characters than enjoying them.

I've been kind of thinking the same.  I will probably finish off the season.  I don't know if I will be back next season. I don't like any of the characters anymore except Dina and Glenn.  I think these are the only two whose core character hasn't changed. Plus I like they way they interact with each other.  I don't like any of the other characters and I don't care what happens to them. 

I liked Sandra rolling out of the car.  She finally concluded her suspicions were real.  I thought she was going to find a way to spit out the cake.  

I'm sure America likes the idea of her character being successful, but taking her out the actual store wouldn't make any sense. 

5 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

The thing that stuck out to me is that in the few minutes that Glenn became manager again, he was actually doing manager things. He was checking the stock, sending employees to clean up spills, and walking the floor to see what needed to be done. We hardly ever see Amy do any of that; she mainly sits in her office and talks to Jonah about how she's afraid she's going to lose her job.  I mean, Glenn hiring Bo was not the greatest idea, but he's not much worse than anyone else who works there.

I forgot about this part. Bo did put the display up. He wasn't supposed to, but it looked like he did it right.  These are the scenes when Amy doesn't know when to change gears and as a viewer, it gets very frustrating.  After the display was built, Amy should have just said "Nice job".  This was already a win. People in the store looked like they were working.  Instead she still goes ahead with her ridiculous plan and it looked worse when she "fired" him. 

• Love 8

I think the story is moving towards Amy being demoted back to being floor supervisor. I can't see any other way forward with this whole union thing. 

I thought the whole shoplifter rehab thing was pretty stupid, except for Bo saying he'd fallen for Dina's trick three times. Heh. Still, I don't get how that whole thing was supposed to work. Were those people they had caught shoplifting that day? Surely nobody would come back for that.

There's a portrait of Justina Machado in an attic somewhere aging while she stays young. I swear she looks the same as she did 20 years ago.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I thought the whole shoplifter rehab thing was pretty stupid, except for Bo saying he'd fallen for Dina's trick three times. Heh. Still, I don't get how that whole thing was supposed to work. Were those people they had caught shoplifting that day? Surely nobody would come back for that.

I agree, it was stupid. I only laughed once and that was when dumb Bo said he'd fallen for Dina's trick 3 times but Sandra rolling out the car was awesome.

Why wouldn't the DM mention to Amy that someone had broken into her car the last time she was there?

It seems like they are running out of ideas for this show. Cheers was set in a bar and ran for 11 seasons but had characters people liked. I do like that this show is set in the store but it's too bad most of the characters are unlikeable.

The DM isn't mentioning it so Amy falls for her friendly act. If Amy does, she'll try to delay the union.

Sandra rolling out of that car was delightful. I couldn't stop laughing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Why wouldn't the DM mention to Amy that someone had broken into her car the last time she was there?

Well Dina was using a slim jim from what I recall so if done correctly there wouldn't have been any way for her to know her car was broken into. Although unless the car is REALLY old I think that's an anachronism. I doubt slim jims would work on modern car locks.

• Love 1

The evidence isn't from the slim jim. The premise was the bag contained empty candy wrappers and the union cards, implying she couldn't have eaten the candy and not seen the cards. So she knows her car was broken into because they took the bag out of it, and she'd notice it gone. 

• Love 1
On 11/8/2019 at 11:29 AM, ShelleySue said:

I'm trying to figure out what has to happen for me to stop watching this show.  I really used to like it but I'm reaching the tipping point of being more annoyed with the characters than enjoying them.

Same and it makes me sad because I just recently binge watched all seasons and initially loved it. Amy and her stupid schemes are getting on my last nerve.