Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Self-Care

Aulty

After Glenn has a health scare, Dina takes control of his nutrition and fitness. Jonah and Cheyenne try to get Amy to take a break from working too hard. Mateo interviews for a new position in the store.

Original Air Date: October 24th 2019

Edited by Aulty

Sometimes it's easy to forget Jonah and Amy are together, so it was weird hearing him talk about caring for her baby and remembering they live together. They're the most platonic romantic couple on TV.

The stuff with Matteo and the optometrist was actually funny and would've been a good running gag had they not introduced the indentured servitude blackmail. I guess that was inevitable, although who even knows if that guy has the cash to pay him under the table, because how else could he get paid?

The funniest part of the episode was Garrett worrying about his weak chin.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

I guess that was inevitable, although who even knows if that guy has the cash to pay him under the table, because how else could he get paid?

Yes, I kept thinking there was no way Mateo could get paid on the books, so good luck if the optometrist stiffs him.

Oh, and apparently Garrett and Dina really are even now in Dina's eyes.

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 3

Sometimes it's easy to forget Jonah and Amy are together, so it was weird hearing him talk about caring for her baby and remembering they live together. They're the most platonic romantic couple on TV.

I think that's largely due to the fact that the entire show takes place within the store. It's not like Friends where they meet up at coffee shops and we see them at home. With few exceptions, every show takes place exclusively within Cloud 9. That limits their interactions primarily to work-related ones.

The flaming ass hot sauce display was really good, and my favorite part was Cheyenne laughing like a crazy person when asked if Amy was taking a nap. Also, Garrett clean-shaven! He kind of does have a weak chin, in that his face is very round.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

The stuff with Matteo and the optometrist was actually funny and would've been a good running gag had they not introduced the indentured servitude blackmail. I guess that was inevitable, although who even knows if that guy has the cash to pay him under the table, because how else could he get paid?

In most of the optical places in the big box stores at least the optometrist is independent so he could pay Matteo under the table because he's setting his own prices for the exam and reaping all the cash (outside of the rent he's paying to the store to be their optician).   I liked that they kind of went there with the indentured servitude because I think that's a pretty big issue for folks who are working under the table when they're undocumented. Who do you complain to when you're being underpaid or overworked or harassed? So I like that they are presenting that reality. 

• Love 16

I want more from this show. It's been five eps. What is the big storyline?

We had Amy becoming a manager (training with Cheyanne, interviewing with Laurie, having to tell Glenn to stop being a baby), we had Cheyanne and Bo, we had Amy's baby, Dina and Garrett together and then not... this show had steadily raised its own bar since Season 1 and I feel that perhaps due to the change in show runner, it has taken a noticeable step back.

While Mateo does seem to be getting his return arc, it feels as though it was inevitable, and he is barely affected for the experience. He's still a petty, unsympathetic little worm. I don't identify with him much.

Maybe we have Jerry and Sandra's wedding to look forward to. Her glee about the puppy ("there is no puppy, Sandra") was this episode's highlight for me.

• Love 1

I really like the Dina/Glenn interactions.  She seems so cut and dry about things, but she really does care about the baby's welfare - without any outright mushiness.  I thought it was funny when she announced to Glenn that "now he's vegan".  And Glenn tries to help her with her abandonment issues.  

I didn't represent any one company in particular, but I used to work for a company that put displays up in stores.  Certain companies would send the displays - whether the store would allow it or not. The store generally didn't have floor space so the giant cardboard would always end up in the dumpster without anyone ever seeing it. 

• Love 3

I need a nap bunker ASAP! 

Mateo getting stuck doing stuff with Dr. White Savior was funny, but also a pretty big issue with undocumented workers, who often are mistreated, overworked, and underpaid (or not paid at all) by employers who know that they cant go anywhere to complain, so it was interesting to see it addressed here, albeit in a more small scale comical way. 

Yeah Garret without his beard just looks...wrong.

• Love 8