Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Unleashed

• Start Topic

Who are these people? 

Why is everyone so over dramatic?

Why can't they ever act like adults?

Do they work? Ever? 

Every episode there is a character throwing a temper tantrum because even situation gets overblown. It is getting ridiculous. 

• Love 11

Delilah never even said “thank you” to Katherine for watching Charlie all day. 🤬

As a few of you also pointed out, Delilah was also the only one who didn’t offer to help look for Colin. She’s beyond unlikeable. I can’t decide if she’s meant to be really self-centered or really stupid. Probably both.

Other than Maggie, I am struggling to recall any other characters on other TV shows that were this awful. I can’t think of anyone.

I really hope DJ Nash took some screenwriting courses during the summer hiatus because I’m dying to see how Delilah and Maggie will redeem themselves. He’s got to know how terrible he’s made them out to be thus far, right?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Bridget said:

Delilah never even said “thank you” to Katherine for watching Charlie all day. 🤬

As a few of you also pointed out, Delilah was also the only one who didn’t offer to help look for Colin. She’s beyond unlikeable. I can’t decide if she’s meant to be really self-centered or really stupid. Probably both.

Other than Maggie, I am struggling to recall any other characters on other TV shows that were this awful. I can’t think of anyone.

I really hope DJ Nash took some screenwriting courses during the summer hiatus because I’m dying to see how Delilah and Maggie will redeem themselves. He’s got to know how terrible he’s made them out to be thus far, right?

I did love how Katherine said when Delilah had something for her, "No my babysitting rate is ridiculous" or something to that effect.

No it had to be scotch from Jon that she never got when everyone got their gift or got to pick something out. I thought I'd wait until after the baby was born and you were babysitting.

I still wonder what happened to his lap tops and phone, no one was curious what was on them especially the business computer?  So odd. Did she leave them there?  His papers or notes?

I know it's a soap but being a curious, sensitive type, this sort of apathy is so weird to me. Even at apartment, she barely looked at albums, my hubby joked, "She's not in them"

Edited by debraran
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Bridget said:

I think Maggie has an easier time redeeming herself because she wasn't ALWAYS awful on this show. We can, at least, chalk it up to her being lost after being cancer free and taking out all of her emotions in the wrong way. That, and she needs a LOT of therapy to deal with losing her brother all those years ago because she's clearly never dealt with it.

I have more hope for Maggie to figure her shit out. Delilah's been awful from the start and has shown no signs of being a better, less narcissistic person. It's all about her, always playing the victim, and always thinking that she can just be saved by someone else to get out of the messes that she creates. 

See how quickly she latched onto Andrew supporting her decision to keep baby Charlie's real father a secret. She started her whole "Maybe I'm doing the wrong thing", Andrew said "no, you're a good person" and she immediately responded "You're right! I AM!" She has ALL of the control in this situation but she's not the only one involved. At least Eddie has the decency to look and feel guilty, because he is. He knows how lucky he is to have Katherine forgiving him and he's not taking advantage of it. 

Delilah would absolutely ask Katherine to babysit again after she's done it now, just because she thinks it's all cool. Well, she would have before Katherine, in Delilah's eyes, had the AUDACITY to suggest telling the kids the truth. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

I think Maggie has an easier time redeeming herself because she wasn't ALWAYS awful on this show. We can, at least, chalk it up to her being lost after being cancer free and taking out all of her emotions in the wrong way. That, and she needs a LOT of therapy to deal with losing her brother all those years ago because she's clearly never dealt with it.

I have more hope for Maggie to figure her shit out. Delilah's been awful from the start and has shown no signs of being a better, less narcissistic person. It's all about her, always playing the victim, and always thinking that she can just be saved by someone else to get out of the messes that she creates. 

See how quickly she latched onto Andrew supporting her decision to keep baby Charlie's real father a secret. She started her whole "Maybe I'm doing the wrong thing", Andrew said "no, you're a good person" and she immediately responded "You're right! I AM!" She has ALL of the control in this situation but she's not the only one involved. At least Eddie has the decency to look and feel guilty, because he is. He knows how lucky he is to have Katherine forgiving him and he's not taking advantage of it. 

Delilah would absolutely ask Katherine to babysit again after she's done it now, just because she thinks it's all cool. Well, she would have before Katherine, in Delilah's eyes, had the AUDACITY to suggest telling the kids the truth. 

Delilah has zero self awareness. She has no concern for anyone but herself. Are there actually any fans of Delilah out there? Her relationships are all one sided. She gets all the benefits out of her relationships while offering nothing in return. 
Having said that, where can I get friends like these that will do ANYTHING at a moments notice and can magically appear whenever I need something?

• Love 5
On 10/31/2019 at 11:17 PM, SpiritSong said:

My favorite piece of stupidity was Rome, Regina, Sophie and PJ all wandering around in a group looking for the dog. It never occurred to any of these geniuses that they could cover 4 times as much territory if they split up?

Agreed.

On 11/1/2019 at 2:01 AM, debraran said:

Katherine found it cathartic but it was rude.

I experienced something like that in real life. The mom of one of my kids' friends was getting a divorce due to his screwing around. She couldn't help but talk about it whenever she would come over to pick up her kid from a play date. It was certainly uncomfortable, and if it had been on a park bench instead of my home, I probably would have noped out too. But after I thought about it awhile, I realized that she probably didn't have anyone she could really talk to about it (who wasn't involved in the situation) and was in such emotional turmoil that she couldn't keep it from spilling out whether not it was appropriate.

On 11/1/2019 at 2:47 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Then Gary and Eddie sat at the shelter to have a heart to heart (which is a conversation they could have had while walking around looking for Colin). And on top of that, Gary said that Colin had been missing for six hours and then Eddie said they could make signs and post online. Seriously? No one thought to post on NextDoor or stop for five minutes to print a few flyers with Colin's picture and Gary's phone number so they could hand them out at the places they stopped or tape them up as they were canvassing the neighborhood? Gah, be efficient, people!

Which would have provided a far more interesting way of finding out Colin was someone else's dog. (I believe Gary took Colin to a shelter when he first found him, and then went back because it was a kill shelter or something?)

On 11/1/2019 at 5:29 AM, luna1122 said:

I feel like I say "Ugh, this show" every post, but seriously: ugh, this show.

I don't hate watch shows, but I am veering into "what stupid, unbelievable, thing will they do next" territory.

On 11/1/2019 at 6:21 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Also, a couple of other things that bugged me: Katherine bragging about having sex in that walk-in closet when talking about the "uptight couple." She's definitely starting to mould her behaviour with the rest of the group. I like Katherine but that definitely fell in line with the attitude that the group often takes and it bothers me.

That was very jarring. Especially since Katherine, despite the closet sex, is pretty uptight herself. It didn't seem like her at all.

On 11/1/2019 at 6:56 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I went back and checked and Gary said in the previous episode, "Nine months ago, I sat here as a breast cancer survivor. Today I'm sitting here as someone who is in love with a breast cancer survivor." I'm going to take that to mean it's been nine months since he met Maggie at that meeting which should make it July. So does that mean the kids attend year round schools? This season we've already seen Theo at garden day, Danny auditioning for the school musical, and now Sophie gets out early on Mondays.

I doubt they've given it that much thought. They clearly haven't set up a master calendar to set up believable times for people to be available.

On 11/1/2019 at 1:26 PM, izabella said:

Regina, your restaurant will fail because neither you, nor Delilah, nor Andrew actually take the time to run it or even be there.  I will not be sad when that happens.

Yes, Regina's wanting to run a restaurant her way clearly means running it into the ground because someone with a head for business just doesn't understand her. I don't think Delilah's presence will have any impact on it though - seems like her only contribution was interior design (and that was limited).

On 11/1/2019 at 2:49 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

I think both things can be true. He can be both jealous (agree) and have the opinion that what she (and her mother) was doing was creepy/pathetic.

And also be afraid that he's losing her because they no longer have the initial cancer connection. Though that doesn't make any sense to me. Remission isn't a cure, so far as I know. Being "cured" isn't official until some years down the line, right? So they're still in the same boat - she just doesn't want to go to the group, and wants to live life as if she hasn't had cancer.

On 11/1/2019 at 5:19 PM, Brian Cronin said:

Unless they're going in a Game of Thrones direction, didn't PJ think it was kind of weird to flirt so much with Sophie and hold her hand like that? I'm sure that he will turn out not to be Jon's actual son (I have never understood the logic of "He didn't help his best friend's wife with her baby after his best friend died while on a plane that he was almost on, as well, but that wouldn't make him this guilty, he must have also knocked my mom up and bailed on her") but not only does PJ not know that, he believes the OPPOSITE, so it's really strange behavior on his part. 

You know, that didn't occur to me.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

And also be afraid that he's losing her because they no longer have the initial cancer connection. Though that doesn't make any sense to me. Remission isn't a cure, so far as I know. Being "cured" isn't official until some years down the line, right? So they're still in the same boat - she just doesn't want to go to the group, and wants to live life as if she hasn't had cancer.

You're never "cured" of breast cancer, since it's always a possibility of it coming back at some time in the future, even if it's decades later. The only time you're ever "cured" is if you die from something else, ya know?

But its interesting that you mention Maggie and Gary being in the same boat, because there is a significant difference, in that Maggie has had a local reoccurrence. She's actually in a weird place,  support group-wise, since she's had a reoccurrence, which freaks out all the people who haven't had one, as it reminds them of what could happen to them, so regular support groups aren't good for someone like Maggie and she isn't metastatic, so she would depress people in a metastatic group, so metastatic groups aren't good for people like Maggie, either. 

So she's sort of off on an island. That's some REAL drama that Nash could mine for the show, but of course he'd rather just come up with some hacky shit instead. 

• Love 1

So Delilah and Eddie marvel about the place they’re in now, when the last time they discussed their relationship on camera was about how they really wanted to be together but can’t be, and have to pretend Charlie is Jon’s baby. Guess they’re so over it now.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

You're never "cured" of breast cancer, since it's always a possibility of it coming back at some time in the future, even if it's decades later. The only time you're ever "cured" is if you die from something else, ya know?

But its interesting that you mention Maggie and Gary being in the same boat, because there is a significant difference, in that Maggie has had a local reoccurrence. She's actually in a weird place,  support group-wise, since she's had a reoccurrence, which freaks out all the people who haven't had one, as it reminds them of what could happen to them, so regular support groups aren't good for someone like Maggie and she isn't metastatic, so she would depress people in a metastatic group, so metastatic groups aren't good for people like Maggie, either. 

So she's sort of off on an island. That's some REAL drama that Nash could mine for the show, but of course he'd rather just come up with some hacky shit instead. 

Good point. I hadn't looked at it that way.

17 hours ago, nexxie said:

So Delilah and Eddie marvel about the place they’re in now, when the last time they discussed their relationship on camera was about how they really wanted to be together but can’t be, and have to pretend Charlie is Jon’s baby. Guess they’re so over it now.

Right? I really and truly believe that Nash thinks that the characters have had conversations he had in mind for them that they haven't actually had on the show. You know, like, "Oh, of course Charlie can't be Jon's kid, Jon had a vasectomy! Wait...did I not say that on the show? Oops, let me have Gary say it now, months after this would have been extremely pertinent information."

Similarly, I'm sure that he believes that Eddie and Delilah have talked this all over, so he writes their current interactions with those past interactions in mind, even though we never actually got to SEE those past interactions.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

Right? I really and truly believe that Nash thinks that the characters have had conversations he had in mind for them that they haven't actually had on the show. You know, like, "Oh, of course Charlie can't be Jon's kid, Jon had a vasectomy! Wait...did I not say that on the show? Oops, let me have Gary say it now, months after this would have been extremely pertinent information."

Similarly, I'm sure that he believes that Eddie and Delilah have talked this all over, so he writes their current interactions with those past interactions in mind, even though we never actually got to SEE those past interactions.

You might be on to something there. Writers do fill in backstories and conversations that don't make it to the book/screen all the time. But then they need to be careful to make sure that scenes based on those extracted conversations either get revised, or have had the information relayed earlier on in some other way.

I mean, they have continuity people for the filming of the scenes - they should have a continuity person for the scripts and what makes it to broadcast. Some do this beautifully. The best imo, and perhaps the first, was JMS of Babylon 5. There were random conversations in the first season that didn't pay off until seasons later. Then again, JMS wrote almost every script.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Why is Delilah even working?  She has a newborn at home.   No time for maternity leave?   Who leaves a newborn at home all day long with someone who barely knows her?   Delilah should get her priorities straight...take care of your baby, your teen children and your home.  Leaving your child all day to do a podcast is ridiculous.  

Time for Maggie's pink wig to go.   Actually...time for Maggie to go.   

• Love 4

I'd like to nominate "Random Woman in the Park" as my favorite character.

Poor Eric. He just wanted to thank the donor's family for his heart and he wound up getting sucked in to all this drama. He really should take his cue from "Random Woman in the Park" but I absolutely love Jason Ritter so I'd like to see him stick around.

I could have sworn last season Delilah told Eddie that she knew the baby was his because she and Jon weren't having sex.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Your Aunt Tilly said:

I could have sworn last season Delilah told Eddie that she knew the baby was his because she and Jon weren't having sex.

Now that you mention it, yes she did. It could be a lie, as she's a lying liar who lies, but there wouldn't be much point to that lie - at that particular stage of the game.

• Love 3
On 11/3/2019 at 1:09 PM, Clanstarling said:

My favorite piece of stupidity was Rome, Regina, Sophie and PJ all wandering around in a group looking for the dog. It never occurred to any of these geniuses that they could cover 4 times as much territory if they split up?

That (we kept screaming at the TV screen), and to start with, who takes the leash off the dog before getting inside the apartment?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Your Aunt Tilly said:

She definitely did, but because I want the Eddie/Delilah stuff to be severed completely, I WANT Delilah to be lying to everyone about not having sex with Jon. It's why I was bitter when they hammered in the point that it's not Jon's baby in the premiere, with the random vasectomy reveal.

Plus, it REALLY seems like they're going the antagonistic route with Delilah. They really didn't do her any favours in this episode, with her being the ONLY one not helping Gary in any way, and then giving Katherine the stink eye at the mere mention of telling the kids. So, if they added more lies on top of it? It wouldn't be surprising, especially since Delilah has had no issues lying to anyone before.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, S.Batts said:

Why is Delilah even working?  She has a newborn at home.   No time for maternity leave?   Who leaves a newborn at home all day long with someone who barely knows her?   Delilah should get her priorities straight...take care of your baby, your teen children and your home.  Leaving your child all day to do a podcast is ridiculous.  

Time for Maggie's pink wig to go.   Actually...time for Maggie to go.   

Delilah - Yes!  Why on earth is she leaving the baby with anyone at this stage?  I guess she needs to spread her specialness all around.

Maggie - Yes and yes.  The role of special bitch is already filled.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Suzn said:

Delilah - Yes!  Why on earth is she leaving the baby with anyone at this stage?  I guess she needs to spread her specialness all around.

I feel for Delilah...so sad that her job doesn't give her decent maternity leave...

😜

• Love 1
On 11/5/2019 at 9:30 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Plus, it REALLY seems like they're going the antagonistic route with Delilah.

You think the writers know we all hate her? I don't. I don't think the writers have a clue how ridiculous much of their stories are. They are not making Delilah a villain on purpose.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, smartymarty said:

You think the writers know we all hate her? I don't. I don't think the writers have a clue how ridiculous much of their stories are. They are not making Delilah a villain on purpose.

I think you're right.  I think we are supposed to love her like all her friends do.  The writers should be able to pick up a clue by now about how most of us feel.

• Love 5
On 11/1/2019 at 2:39 AM, Dowel Jones said:

Props to the other woman in the park when Katherine started oversharing about the baby.  "Okay, time to go."

That was my favorite part of the show.  I'm guessing that woman is a therapist and has enough drama in her job.  Or her family is a mess.  And she has enough sense not to get sucked into a stranger's mess.  That was a major "you go girl" for sure!!!  

I did like hearing Katherine say all that outloud.  And she did acknowledge later what a relief it was. 

• Love 3
On 11/1/2019 at 10:36 AM, iwasish said:

In the real world ....i wonder with the popularity of the DNA Ancestry kits out there, how many family secrets will be revealed.

Oh, lots and lots.  In my situation, I found two long-lost sisters (I didn't know my bio-dad, so not too strange or unexpected) and an uncle my grandmother had in her 40's that NO ONE mentioned.  

On 11/1/2019 at 8:34 PM, KaveDweller said:

Yes, thank you! I was thinking the same thing, but I am not an animal person, so I was worried I was just being callous.

On 11/2/2019 at 10:57 PM, OpalNightstream said:

So someone’s dog gets loose so everyone drops everything they are doing (work, childcare) and runs over to look for said dog. I wouldn’t expect any of my friends to do that for me, nor would I ask. 

I'm about the biggest animal lover out there.  I have two rescue dogs, volunteered for a rescue league for years, oh and ah over my daughter's cats, etc, etc, and I would 1. Not leave work to help a friend find their dog and 2. Not expect everyone I know to drop everything to find my dogs.  If my dog was still missing hours later, after everyone was done with their work, and they want to come by to help, I'd be super appreciative.  But, I wouldn't expect it. 

On 11/5/2019 at 8:37 AM, Clanstarling said:

Now that you mention it, yes she did. It could be a lie, as she's a lying liar who lies, but there wouldn't be much point to that lie - at that particular stage of the game.

I think it's only us that are hoping for a surprise reveal that the baby is Jon's.  I think Nash, etc, are firmly in the "It's Eddie's" camp so I don't expect any reveal with Charlie's paternity.  I think the comment to Eddie about Delilah & Jon not having sex was so there was no question on Eddie's part and then the reveal about the vasectomy was an easy way to get the secret out. It's hacky and stupid, but I think the writers think it's a done deal. 

On 11/3/2019 at 12:54 AM, Bridget said:

22 hours ago, smartymarty said:

I agree with some others in that I don't think they realize how much Delilah is hated.  I think they think she's the special snowflake and that everyone adores her.  But, we don't.  They need to figure out how to either redeem her, or kill her off.  I vote for #2

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Whimsy said:

...I agree with some others in that I don't think they realize how much Delilah is hated.  I think they think she's the special snowflake and that everyone adores her.  But, we don't.  They need to figure out how to either redeem her, or kill her off.  I vote for #2

Yep.  I sincerely wonder how the writers are so tone-deaf as to think they've created an adorable special snowflake.  

Also adding, I am very much an animal lover and it wouldn't even occur to me to expect people to drop whatever they're doing to help me find my dog.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 1
On 10/31/2019 at 9:22 PM, sinkwriter said:

They should have made the dog incident happen on a weekend. Then it wouldn't seem so weird that everyone's able to drop everything and help search.

If that was the requirement, this entire show would have to take place over a series of weekends! 😄

On 10/31/2019 at 8:00 PM, bybrandy said:

Loved Katherine telling Charlie that neither of them did anything wrong so they didn't have to let anybody shame them.  Katherine is a rock star.   

Favorite moment of the show!

• LOL 2
On 11/1/2019 at 8:19 PM, Brian Cronin said:

Unless they're going in a Game of Thrones direction, didn't PJ think it was kind of weird to flirt so much with Sophie and hold her hand like that? I'm sure that he will turn out not to be Jon's actual son (I have never understood the logic of "He didn't help his best friend's wife with her baby after his best friend died while on a plane that he was almost on, as well, but that wouldn't make him this guilty, he must have also knocked my mom up and bailed on her") but not only does PJ not know that, he believes the OPPOSITE, so it's really strange behavior on his part. 

I thought maybe he was hoping his dad would see it, and it would push a confession, if there was one to be made. 

On 11/2/2019 at 9:57 PM, OpalNightstream said:

So someone’s dog gets loose so everyone drops everything they are doing (work, childcare) and runs over to look for said dog. I wouldn’t expect any of my friends to do that for me, nor would I ask. 

My sister lost her dog in college and we fell in line just like these friends did. Also, assuming Gary is as attached to Colin as I am to my dog, my friends would also call out for the day to keep me from a meltdown.

It's far fetched for some, but knowing how attached your childless friend is to their dog makes for a very supportive friend. 

• Love 1