Type keyword(s) to search

Evil: Speculation & some Spoilers too!

Norma Desmond
  • Start Topic

So I have read the description for episode 6 here https://www.tvmaze.com/episodes/1740261/evil-1x06-790

"When the Catholic Church asks Kristen, David and Ben to assess the veracity of a local prophetess, Grace Ling, they are shaken when they see one of her visions come to life. Also, David struggles with jealousy when he sees God speaking with the prophetess, and to Kristen's dismay, her mother, Sheryl, and Leland begin a relationship."

I knew the mother was up to no good!

Edited by Norma Desmond
  • Love 2

Katja just said that some things from previous episodes are coming back, including the VR girl "Rose360 (sic)". Nice to know that.

I loved to know the actress more, fun interview. I like her xD

• Love 5

https://tvline.com/2019/11/06/walking-dead-season-10-spoilers-negan-tested-by-alpha/

"What do the numerals in Evil’s episode titles mean? [E.g. “177 Minutes,” “3 Stars,” “Rose390,” “October 31” and “790”.] Are they referencing bible verse, or tracking things? Does it tie into The 60 which has been referenced? Any idea when we will start connecting dots of the symbols David is supposed to write down? —Maureen

So many questions! But… maybe some of the answers are interconnected? As the Kings (aka the series creators) shared with Inside Line upon surveying your email, “There is a puzzle buried in each of the episodes except the pilot. The numbers have to do with solving this puzzle….” (And yes, that is their mystery-churning ellipse.)"

So we are definitely revisiting some of the past episodes, right? It makes me think if all past cases werent faked...(?) Have to wait and see.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Since there's supposed to be some clue there with the numbers, I figured I'd list all the episode titles in one place so it's easier to puzzle over:

Episode 1: Pilot
Episode 2: 177 Minutes
Episode 3: 3 Stars
Episode 4: Rose390
Episode 5: October 31
Episode 6: Let x = 9
Episode 7: Vatican III
Episode 8: 2 Fathers
Episode 9: Exorcism Part 2
Episode 10: 7 Swans a Singin'
Episode 11: Room 320
Episode 12: TBA
Episode 13: TBA

Edited by luvly
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, luvly said:

Since there's supposed to be some clue there with the numbers, I figured I'd list all the episode titles in one place so it's easier to puzzle over:

Episode 1: Pilot
Episode 2: 177 Minutes
Episode 3: 3 Stars
Episode 4: Rose390
Episode 5: October 31
Episode 6: Let x = 9
Episode 7: Vatican III
Episode 8: 2 Fathers
Episode 9: Exorcism Part 2
Episode 10: 7 Swans a Singin'
Episode 11: Room 320
Episode 12: TBA
Episode 13: TBA

Edited 10 hours ago by luvly

The "Official" title of Episode 1 is "Genesis 1". OMG, I solved the puzzle!, Oh wait, I got nothing.

• LOL 2

This is pure speculation, but thought I'd post here anyway.  I think they're going to end up needing to perform an exorcism on grandma.  It won't be for quite some time (season finale? later?), and it's going to take a while to realize and decide that, especially with Kristen and other non-believers (and I can see hubby really being opposed due to not believing) , and before that it'll take a while to put the pieces together.  But I just kind of feel that it'll end up there.

• Love 3

I know there's also been puzzle pieces that pop up in each episode very briefly. I keep missing them, but hopefully somebody else here has spotted them and can share them, so we can start putting that thing together, too. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I know there's also been puzzle pieces that pop up in each episode very briefly. I keep missing them, but hopefully somebody else here has spotted them and can share them, so we can start putting that thing together, too. 

If you could elaborate more about what and when these puzzle pieces occur. I might be able to do some screen grabs. I have no idea what you are referring to.

• Love 1

Supposedly there are actual puzzle pieces that pop up at random points in each episode, that when put together are supposed to, of course, create some kind of image or something, I'm not sure what. They seem to be kind of in the background or something, and I think they go by rather fast, so it's hard to catch them. But I've seen discussion elsewhere from those who seem to have found some of them. 

ETA: Here's a photo from the Reddit page for this hsow about the puzzle pieces to give you a better idea-looks like somebody's managed to get most of it put together:

Edited by Annber03
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

https://www.spoilertv.com/2019/12/evil-episode-111-room-320-press-release.html

K1NzAm.jpg

Room 320” – After David is badly wounded, he is determined to fight off the menacing presence of death from his hospital bed, on EVIL, Thursday, Jan. 9

GUEST CAST:
Nora Murphy (Rose 390)
Li Jun Li (Grace Ling)
Kristen Connolly (Mira Byrd)
Megan Ketch (Judy James)
Megan Ketch (Kelsey)
Marcus Callender (Harlan Zephyrs)
Tara Summers (Nurse Linda Bloch)
Paton Ashbrook (Nurse Karen Piper)
Michael Mulheren (Father Gary Douglas)
Mark Bedard (Dr. William Hughes)
Antonio Michael Woodard (Patient)
Marti Matulis (Ghoul Orderly #1)
Kevin ‘Ohgr’ Ogilgive (Ghoul Orderly #2)
Anna Tullis (Ghoul Doctor)
Lisa Birnbaum (Ghoul Nurse)
Roxanne Schiebergen (Lydia)
Michael Charles Roman (Chris Simmons)
Carly Gold (Heather)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I feel like I hear Michael Emerson‘s voice in any off screen character, so I wasn’t surprised when he turned out to be the singer of the earworm song. But now I’m paranoid that he is the priest that David is confessing to. Anyone else?

• Love 2

Got this from TV Line regarding Michael Emerson.

Question: Where has George been on Evil? —Naomi
Ausiello: You’re in luck: Kristen’s nightmare buddy is back in this week’s episode “in a form that… you couldn’t imagine what you’re going to see,” Katja Herbers teases. “He’s going to be back, but he’s going to be very different. A different shape.” And has the disturbing demon been paying attention to what’s gone on in his absence? “Yup,” Herbers confirms. “He seems to be very aware of what’s going on in the whole world.”

10 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Do we know the titles/letters for the rest of the season? Because I have a new, improved theory for what the episode titles mean, and I want to see if it works...

Not that I'm aware of thus far, no. But I'm assuming we'll start getting them fairly soon here, so something to keep an eye on :).

18 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Do we know the titles/letters for the rest of the season? Because I have a new, improved theory for what the episode titles mean, and I want to see if it works...

O Is for Ovaphobia (Ovaphobia - fear of eggs).

T Is for Temporoparietal Lobes.

The other 2 episodes TBD.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

O Is for Ovaphobia (Ovaphobia - fear of eggs).

T Is for Temporoparietal Lobes.

The other 2 episodes TBD.

Thanks. The first thing I think of when I see the word egg is the creepy fertility clinic where Lexis (and first-season Eric) were conceived.

• Love 2

Spoilery interview with Christine Lahti. Evil Star Christine Lahti Discusses Sheryl's Dark Side, Leland & More. Some bits of interest:

I think Sheryl's breakup with Leland was the trigger that has catapulted her into her 'dark side' or you might say her more 'empowered side'," Lahti explained. "I think that she's had one too many demons in her life, and when I say 'demons,' I just mean bad men, men who have hurt her, abused her, or tried to control her. I think now she's on a journey that it is her turn, her time, and 'Watch out world!' I'm not saying that she's going to use all positive methods to become empowered, but I think she's on that journey and it's fueled by revenge, rage, a history of being unempowered, and being abused by men. So I think she's that is what's fueling what's going on

I think Sheryl loves her daughter and her granddaughters very much. I don't think she would do anything to intentionally harm them. I think she does things that she thinks will empower them. Like, yes, I want to show your granddaughters how what a badass you were in the grocery store when you hit that guy. That's good. That's taking your power. That's standing up for yourself. So I don't think she thinks of it as all positive. She never would intentionally give advice or I think do anything to hurt them

. I think with Leland, I'm doing a lot of manipulation and pretending to go along with his stuff, but I have a greater. It's for a greater good. I have a higher purpose that I can't reveal, and I'm not even sure too much about it, but I've been told that there's something coming down in terms of a power dynamic between Leland and Cheryl. I feel like people think that I'm under his influence or, you know, his subordinate, but that is the opposite of what I think with Sheryl

• Love 3

I do like the idea that she wouldn't intentionally harm Kristen or the girls. I do want to think that's true, at least - I can totally see her wanting to do things that she thinks will help empower the women in the family in general. And it also makes sense that she'd be drawn to all these weird things, because she's always had such a wild, freaky streak as it is. You start with a few crazy encounters and it's so easy to be lured in further to even weirder and darker things. It is also interesting to see how Sheryl and Kristen are each rebelling against some of the shit they have to put up with as women, both professionally and personally, and compare and contrast their respective responses. They seem to be more alike in many ways than I think even they realize, and I can see them both appreciating and being a little freaked out by that, Kristen especially (I think realizing she was turning into her mom with covering her cheating aided in her decision to try and recommit to her marriage, for instance). 

And I definitely agree Sheryl's messing with Leland, which I am very much enjoying. What her angle/plan with him is, though, I'm still figuring that out. But it would be a hell of a kick if she gets one over on him in the end :D. 

Good interview, thanks for sharing this. 

• Love 3

My little theory about Leland and Co is that they have found a way to keep themselves young/healthy by using parts  from other humans.
They have possibly experimented in genetics and used the fertility clinic to "create" humans they can "consume" after or experiment with them. One of those humans is Kristen's daughter.  And Sheryl might have joined them to keep her enemy closer and protect her granddaughter.
I doubt there is something supernatural in their story. Leland's "goat" shrink could be a hallucination-side effect of the transfusions. Or just paranoia.

• Love 3

Thanks to @Annber03 giving me a list of the Sue Grafton-esque episode titles for season two, I've come up with a version of a theory of what it means but I'm going to need a little help. It has to do with Andy and the belief that in one way or another he's not long for this world or his marriage with Kristen. 

Using the most simplistic number-letter substitution cypher [A=1, B=2, Y=25, Z=26, etc.], all the opening letters used in the daily episode titles adds up to 128. And using the latitude-longitude/GPS coordinates for Mount Everest where Andy climbs, the total number is 256. 256  128 is 2. straight even. Is there any significance to the number 2, or halved or half, in relation to Andy/climbing/Mount Everest?

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

Using the most simplistic number-letter substitution cypher [A=1, B=2, Y=25, Z=26, etc.], all the opening letters used in the daily episode titles adds up to 128. And using the latitude-longitude/GPS coordinates for Mount Everest where Andy climbs, the total number is 256. 256  128 is 2. straight even. Is there any significance to the number 2, or halved or half, in relation to Andy/climbing/Mount Everest?

None that I can think of right offhand, but that's a really intriguing take on those letters/numbers. He and Kristen were once a climbing duo, but they also worked with other people, so I don't know whether that would fit or not :p. 

I personally think the letters are some jumble of the name of an angel or demon, but I can't think of what one would fit. Unless it's one that's made up for the show, that is. 

I have 2 possible guesses for how season 3 will end.   This is just my WILD speculation so take it for what it is.

Option 1: Kristen is horrified when her daughters attack Leland but then confesses to the crime herself leaving Sheryl in charge of them.

Option 2. Believing Andy is dead Kristen lets Sheryl back into the family but just as she does Andy escapes drugged and confused wandering aimlessly through the city.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Option 3. (I forgot about option 3 which is my favorite).  David is horrified when he finds out that the secret Church group that he secretly is working with is willing to kill people including children with even the slightest connection to the sigils.  He is even more horrified when Kristen finishes completing the renovations on her home and he finds one of the sigils and his told by Lexis that it is a “lucky sign” of Sheryl’s.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 1