Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Outbreak

ohjoy

When a bad flu epidemic hits William Penn, Coach Mellor is sent to his sick bed and Principal Glascott must step it up as the wrestling coach with the Jenkintown Cup on the line. Meanwhile, Lainey thinks she can easily pass a class taught by CB, yet it's anything but.

Original air date: October 23, 2019

Why the hell were all the band students wearing their uniforms during day??? Its not like changing into gym clothes.  As a proud former marching band person myself...I just could not let this go, especially since they had them on on the middle of the school day just to sit in a classroom and practice.

I am also a retired teacher so even though I love this show ( especially coach...loved him naming his IV) I have finally just let it go that Lainey has no formal education/training ...but the sub test storyline brought that issue back up.

I did sub work while in college in the early 80s. You needed 45 college.credits to do so.  But if that school treats Lainey as a teacher and trusts her LEGALLY with the welfare of her own classes...then she would be qualified to sub in her own school.

Edited by Poohbear617
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Poohbear617 said:

I am also a retired teacher so even though I love this show ( especially coach...loved him naming his IV) I have finally just let it go that Lainey has no formal education/training ...but the sub test storyline brought that issue back up.

I did sub work while in college in the early 80s. You needed 45 college.credits to do so.  But if that school treats Lainey as a teacher and trusts her LEGALLY with the welfare of her own classes...then she would be qualified to sub in her own school.

I think I thought she had a degree of some sort but was last night trying to tell us she has no college degree? Did I forget the original premise of the show between seasons? I know you can get away with things when you work for a private school, but to have no degree? And the questions he was asking her that were going to be on the test? Those were questions she should have graduated high school knowing. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, joanne3482 said:

I think I thought she had a degree of some sort but was last night trying to tell us she has no college degree?

She doesn't have a degree.  I was surprised about this as well.  This and qualifications for teaching were discussed in the early episode discussion threads, if you're interested in checking those out. 

Glad that we are actually kind of dealing with the lack of training that Lainey has as a teacher, and they are making slow moves towards correcting that!

Coach G really nailed that coaching thing! They have to wrestle not just with their opponent, but with their feelings!

• Love 2
On 10/24/2019 at 8:44 AM, Poohbear617 said:

Why the hell were all the band students wearing their uniforms during day??? Its not like changing into gym clothes.  As a proud former marching band person myself...I just could not let this go, especially since they had them on on the middle of the school day just to sit in a classroom and practice.

Yep, this is what bothered me regarding Lainey being a supposed teacher. I’m not a teacher but I’m pretty sure you can’t just BE a regular non-sub teacher In one subject at a school just because you’re super good at that one subject but with only a high school diploma yourself. It’s been bothering me since last year but I figured okay it’s a stupid show. Just ignore it. 

But they went out of their way to bring it up again!  Plus why can’t she be a sub in other classes but she can have her own full time classes?  Makes no sense!

I think my state has a program where you can be hired as a teacher without a teaching certification but you still have to have a college degree first and be working on getting your teaching certification within a certain period of time. I’m not sure what’s required for subs.

• Love 1

I liked Glascott teaching Mellor to connect with his students on an emotional level. The ridiculous Lainey subbing B-plot was just a pretext for Lainey/CB bonding to lay the groundwork for her developing feelings for him.

That state capitol rap...I love Brett Dier.

• Love 4