Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

S01.E05: October 31

Recommended Posts

On Halloween night, Kristen and David are sent to assess an exorcism, but once the pair analyzes the situation, they are at odds while trying to determine whether it is a supernatural demonic possession, or severe mental disease escalated by physical and mental distress. Also, Ben goes on his favorite show, "Demon Hunters," where he debunks their supernatural finds with fellow unbeliever Vanessa.

Airing Thursday, October 24, 2019.

Share this post


Link to post

Sigh. How suggestible are these 4 girls? They seem to follow any suggestion given by another child. After last week's freaky VR shenanigans, they just gonna wander off to a graveyard on Halloween night with some strange masked kid?

Dammit, I wanted to see that girls face!

And Grandma having sexy times with Kristen's nemesis? Ok. 

  • Like 14
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

Granny is a terrible babysitter. She's all holed up doing sexy time with a new beau of 12 seconds while 3 of 4 granddaughters are gallivanting by themselves on Halloween? Good move, Sheryl.

  • Like 19
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post

Another good episode, IMO. I wouldn’t leave Granny in charge of a guppy. 🙄 I like Michael Emerson, but, as far as charming devils go, he is no Ray Wise (Reaper) or Gary Cole (American Gothic).

I wanted to see Brenda’s face, too. Ben has a girlfriend! 😁 If they take the exorcism victim to the hospital, how would they explain her injuries and general physical condition? Liked the Exorcist homage scene when the psychiatrist arrived.

  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post

I found this episode really BORING. The three disjointed stories did nothing for me, and I’ve come to realize I really dislike plots involving the girls. 
 

it just didn’t gel at all.

i really want to unequivocally like this show, but it’s not making it easy for me.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

You would think the girls were old enough to know not to leave the house without telling someone, especially if they have somebody else's kids with them. Grandma has zero parental abilities. I thought the Grandma might have figured out that Leland was calling from right outside her house when she hear the train pass overhead on the phone. I guess Grandma's date with Leland only lasted about 3 minutes before she ran off to watch those stupid kids.

What was the costume of the one girl, at first I thought she was a traffic light, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I liked the crazy cat lady costume.

I was a little worried that the male psychologist might have gotten possessed.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

8 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

i really want to unequivocally like this show, but it’s not making it easy for me.

That's kind of where I am, too. I can't think of many workplace type shows where scenes of the protagonist's family life weren't boring, so that's on me. But George is tedious and I don't even like Michael Emerson in this!

I'm losing interest unless we get more time with supernatural investigations and less with stuff that isn't.

Edited by 2727
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

Dammit, I wanted to see that girls face!

The best horror is that what is left to the imagination.

Kristen better have a heart to heart talk with Sheryl after this.  And then lay into the girls a bit, because it doesn't take the supernatural to turn Halloween into a tragedy.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

What was the costume of the one girl, at first I thought she was a traffic light, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

She was a paint palette, like the kind that are attached to books kids can paint in. I thought she was the Twister mat at first. 

Good Halloween episode, though a week early, and next week appears to be a rerun. While I did want to see what the creepy girl really looked like behind the mask, I get why they didn't show it, since things left to the imagination are always worse than reality. I've read some theories that she's the same kid from the VR game last week. Not sure how, but it would be interesting if so. 

I can understand the girls going off to the cemetery, because, well, they're kids it's the kind of thing they do when they're trying to fit in or impress other kids, but Kristen's mom is the worst babysitter ever. Yikes.

  • Like 17

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, rollacoaster said:

And Grandma having sexy times with Kristen's nemesis? Ok. 

Except that the dude was in the car fully clothed.  No, I didn't want to see him naked.  That would have been scarier than seeing the kid under the mask.

As for the kid under the mask, I assumed that was the girl from the game last week.

12 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

I found this episode really BORING. The three disjointed stories did nothing for me, and I’ve come to realize I really dislike plots involving the girls. 

I find the series boring and not the least bit scary.  When I get annoyed or irritated, that makes me emotionally numb to just about any television series.  I don't care about any of the characters

I can't get past the screaming kids which continue to annoy me to no end.  And Kristen doesn't have enough brains to come up with someone other than her mother-in-law to watch her screaming kids. 

Her mother-in-law can't seem to put down a glass of wine and is as horny as an old goat.  I was surprised she didn't rifle around in Kristen's bedside table looking for a sex toy when she was having phone sex with Kristen's arch enemy, even though that dude was just talking and not stripping.  Granny thought he was stripping, so I guess the imagery she had of it really happening was enough to get her going. 

Kristen has to have sex toys, she hasn't seen her husband in a very long time.

I wasn't happy that the writers went down the horny grandma path. But then again, I haven't been happy with the writing going all the way back to the first episode.

 

9 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

The best horror is that what is left to the imagination.

I agree with you, as long as the surrounding atmosphere within the show sets that mood.  This series isn't setting that mood for me.  I can't get scared when I am constantly annoyed

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, phalange said:

She was a paint palette, like the kind that are attached to books kids can paint in. I thought she was the Twister mat at first. 

There were 4 colors in the front "holes" and the "holes" in the back didn't have any colors at all.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, 2727 said:
9 hours ago, Eliza422 said:

i really want to unequivocally like this show, but it’s not making it easy for me.

That's kind of where I am, too. I can't think of many workplace type shows where scenes of the protagonist's family life weren't boring, so that's on me. But George is tedious and I don't even like Michael Emerson in this!

I'm losing interest unless we get more time with supernatural investigations and less with stuff that isn't.

Totally agree. They are right on the line of losing me.  

How do you make Mike Colter unappealing?  At this point the only person I'm rooting for is Aasif Mandvi. 

Why would Christine Lahti Grandma find Michael Emerson's character attractive? What he did in the restaurant is creepy AF.   She ditches hiccup guy to go make out in an alley with that weirdo?  And then locks herself in a bedroom to Google him? while she's supposed to be babysitting seven young girls? 

This show has potential. Get rid of a couple daughters, and find a Grandmother who isn't trying to be Karen from Will & Grace .   Figure out the husband situation. Stop having exorcisms willy nilly. Those are very rare. The Church usually believes they are mental disorders and not demonic possession. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

The problem is that every episode (including this one) has unresolved issues.  We are five episodes into this and we haven't had a complete fully resolved episode yet.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

I hope Christine Lahti's character has a "World's Worst Grandma" coffee cup somewhere.

And I'm also glad they didn't show the little girl's face. It remains to be seen how she is connected to the nefarious elements of the show...IS she the little girl from the video game? she was shown wandering the street after she left the kids in the graveyard, and scaring the crap out of passers by, So she definitely exists in the real world.

And I thought the kids were behaving like kids: making bad choices, capable of being pressured into doing something for the sake of peer approval, and not considering the consequences of their actions. Their brains aren't developed yet...it's why you need RELIABLE caretakers.

So I'm looking forward to more backstory on the mother/daughter relationship, and why Kristen continues to bring her unreliable mother into her house. 

And how long will it be before the mother mentions her new friend "Leland" to Kristen? (If it's one thing I hate as a narrative device, it's the withholding of information for the sake of a Big Reveal.) And, my instinct is that the mother won't believe Kristen when she tells her about Leland.

The two other plotlines didn't seem to gel as much with the grandma/girls/Halloween plot. Though Kristen's shrink is now "read in," so to speak to her new role, and she considers him an ally. And the way the possession was presented is that it was real: that the woman was possessed in order to send a message to Acosta about his visions. 

And as for the "ghost hunter" TV show, Ben did have some great chemistry with the woman host...I hope she's back.

NB: there actually is an old graveyard within a few blocks of "Kristen's house," in Astoria, but it's not as scary as the one they used in the episode.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, the girls are old enough to know that they shouldn't sneak out.  They are also old enough to do it anyway.  What I don't understand is actually getting in the grave.  No way I would have done that.

That Not Brenda kid was psycho.  I guess if her parents will tried to burn her to death, she has a bit of an excuse.

Did the woman they were trying to exorcise die?  I think I lost concentration for a minute.  If so, that's not going to look good.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Did the woman they were trying to exorcise die?  I think I lost concentration for a minute.  If so, that's not going to look good.

No. The demon left her after it communicated with Acosta. She shut her eyes and seemed to pass out, but she woke up again, and her husband seemed to acknowledge that she was "back."

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I forgot that I meant to comment on grandma and skeevy guy.  

I'm kind of assuming that he set the whole thing with the kid up and was just trying to keep grandma distracted.  It does beg the question of how he knew Kristen was going to have this last minute job, though.  Unless he really is the devil.  But, anyway, I would never go off with a guy that said "kindness is hypocrisy."  That's kind of creepy.  The dying from hiccoughs, heart attack thing didn't really bug me all that much, but that quote, no.

I also wouldn't like it if someone tried to bully me into not taking a call. Which to me is further proof that he was trying to distract her.  I don't mind so much that grandma was holed up in Kristen's room on the phone, but with that many kids in the house, when it gets too quiet, you know something's up.  Plus, those kids are not capable of a quiet sneak out.  They just aren't.  

This would have been one of those times when tattling would have been OK, and I'm kind of surprised Lexie didn't go that route.   She seemed sufficiently freaked out to know something wasn't right.  So, from here on in, I'm officially referring to her as the smart one.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

18 minutes ago, rhys said:

I have the memory of a goldfish. Who is George? TIA

George was either a legit demon or a dream demon in a night terror. He looked like he'd spent a few decades in a tanning bed or meat smoker.

I think the grandma character needs to be replaced with a functioning father and the "children in danger" plots should to be dialed back. Grandma only serves as a function to let the girls fall into dangerous situations. I want the girls to stop screaming and talking over each other though I know they're there to make the Mom character vulnerable and stressed, which they can do simply by showing evil in society and Mom's protectiveness/natural parental worry. Let home be her safe spot and ramp up the paranormal investigations.

I want to keep this show around but I'm worried the Kings have bitten off more than they can chew, and it'll turn into a "Lost" sorta story but with a child-sized portal to hell in the basement.

eta: Teddysmom got there first.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm kind of assuming that he set the whole thing with the kid up and was just trying to keep grandma distracted.  It does beg the question of how he knew Kristen was going to have this last minute job, though.  Unless he really is the devil.  But, anyway, I would never go off with a guy that said "kindness is hypocrisy."  That's kind of creepy.  The dying from hiccoughs, heart attack thing didn't really bug me all that much, but that quote, no.

I also wouldn't like it if someone tried to bully me into not taking a call. Which to me is further proof that he was trying to distract her.  I don't mind so much that grandma was holed up in Kristen's room on the phone, but with that many kids in the house, when it gets too quiet, you know something's up.  Plus, those kids are not capable of a quiet sneak out.  They just aren't.  

If you want a logical/rational explanation of how Leland might being doing these things, he could have cloned Kristen's phone and listened in on her conversations.

Grandma should have put a comfy chair in the hallway so she could watch the girl's door and still play on the computer.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, AnimeMania said:

If you want a logical/rational explanation of how Leland might being doing these things, he could have cloned Kristen's phone and listened in on her conversations.

But, how did he know where her mom was?  And assuming he's listening to her phone too, how did he get there so fast?

2 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Grandma should have put a comfy chair in the hallway so she could watch the girl's door and still play on the computer. 

She could have, but these kids aren't infants.  If she had just listened for the cessation of noise and heard them leaving (which I can't believe she didn't) it would have been fine.  She did hear them go downstairs and asked what they were doing.  Which probably means had she been in the hallway, they still could have escaped.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

We are five episodes into this and we haven't had a complete fully resolved episode yet.

And that's exactly why I like it😏

Loved the whole Ben subplot; I stopped watching Ghost Hunters when the original cast left, and the line about 'You know, you could just turn on the lights' was soooo true. Still not sure if the potential GF is for real, though.

The burned girl couldn't be the VR game girl, unless she's wearing a wig. VR girl had straight black hair, Brenda had curly blondish hair. What I didn't like about this plot line was that they should have left it at 'burned girl disappears, leaving only her mask behind'. If they'd left her as a ghost, it would have been much more 'traditional Halloween'. Instead, they show her gleefully freaking out the neighborhood. This means she's real, which opens up a some practical questions: Why isn't there an Amber Alert out for this troubled kid? Why is only her face burned- we saw her unburned neck, forearms and legs, plus she has a seemingly healthy head of hair? The only way she'd get that kind of injury would be with a blowtorch, or possibly a bomb going off right in her face.

11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Liked the Exorcist homage scene when the psychiatrist arrived.

Yes! I believe there was also a scene in The Exorcist where someone substituted tap for holy water- the usual explanation being that the demon wanted to sow doubt in Karras' soul.

Hiccup guy was like 10X more attractive than Leland, although his banter was pretty intriguing. However, how long will it take til Kristen wises up to the unsuitability of Granny Hot Pants babysitting her kids? 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

23 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

Hiccup guy was like 10X more attractive than Leland, although his banter was pretty intriguing. However, how long will it take til Kristen wises up to the unsuitability of Granny Hot Pants babysitting her kids? 

And the walking in the house singing and playing the guitar like she's in Flight of the Conchords. 

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

he could have cloned Kristen's phone and listened in on her conversations.

Well, when he was Mr. Finch, 2 seasons ago on "Person of Interest" it was totally in his skill set. 😉

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Oh how I love a Halloween episode! It puts me in the most festively spooky mood!

I thought this episode was quite good, with both the flaws and strengths of the last few episodes being apparent. I am glad we finally got us an exorcism, complete with an The Exorcist homage that gave me good chills, and I am glad that we are getting some actual supernatural things now. 

Can we all agree that Grandma should be banned from all babysitting duty? She clearly sucks at it, not paying attention to the girls she is supposed to be babysitting to drink and facebook stalk/dirty talk with the random creep she just met. I mean, all she had to do was notice that she couldn't hear them anymore and realize something was weird! Just stick your head in every once in awhile! Grandma also has really shitty taste in men apparently, dumping cute bee guy for this obvious serial killer she just met. "Kindness is hypocrisy? Happily talking about people dying in horrible ways? My date was in a car wreck! Your date is probably going to have a heart attack! Oh what a gentlemanly dreamboat!" I mean, what does it say about her that she thinks that is appealing? 

Not Brenda was creepy as fuck, and I am guessing she was in league with Leland and is some kind of demon/ghost child that was trying to hurt the kids or start corrupting them or some evil thing. I think the girls would be more weirded out by "Brenda" not wanting to take her mask off and all of her creepy "games", but it WAS Halloween, and going to graveyards is the kind of thing that some kids think is fun. The girls need a lesson about peer pressure ASAP. Especially when its peer pressure but probable ghosts! They are, especially the older ones, are right in the age where they should know better...but still would probably do that. 

The Not Ghost Hunters show that Ben was on was a hoot! Of course they managed to find a haunted strip club of all places, complete with gratuitous shots of the dancers doing their thing, and the dramatic black and white shots and the "oh my god, I definitely saw something!!! We are getting so many readings!!" was so accurate to those kinds of shows I was cracking up. Those kinds of shows are my guilty pleasure, so that was a lot of fun for me. And Ben might have gotten a girlfriend too! 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

I think the producers were aiming for Holloween...so they inserted the scenes with the girls. I thought as a Holloween story, pretty effective.

Could not believe in Grandma reactions..she seemed desperate. BTW, I miss the earlier shows...who is the guy she 'partied' with? I  think I saw in an earlier trailer that he was Mr. Evil, himself.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Because it's on right after "Mom," Christine Lahti reminds me of Drinking Bonnie (Allison Janney!) ...making similar terrible decisions.

This show is definitely going to be about the concept of "family" (and how they f*ck you up.)

Kristen seems as though she had no positive role model as a mom (and we haven't heard about her Dad yet). Despite his not being there, Kristen's husband/the girls' dad seems like a loser: he has 4 young children at home and he goes away for "work" for months at a time;.

And maybe that's all Kristen expects of him...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Grandma also has really shitty taste in men apparently, dumping cute bee guy for this obvious serial killer she just met. "Kindness is hypocrisy? Happily talking about people dying in horrible ways? My date was in a car wreck! Your date is probably going to have a heart attack! Oh what a gentlemanly dreamboat!" I mean, what does it say about her that she thinks that is appealing? 

Yeah, that's what I didn't get at all.  The "I knew a guy who had the hiccups and died" could just be a true thing that he blurted out.  Sometimes people do that.  But, the more he said, the creepier he got.  Yay, my date was in a car accident.  Your date's having a heart attack.  And, actually just even leaving all that aside, the way people treat other people is the way that they will treat you.  So, I wouldn't want to leave with a guy who was urging me to ditch my date because that's just not nice.  It would have been different if her original date was falling over drunk and being a complete jerk, but he just, through no fault of his own, had the hiccups.  

I liked it when she tried to scare him and he asked if she was OK.  That was pretty funny.

Anyway, back to skeevy dude.  They're having phone sex on the first date. He tries to not  let her answer the phone.  Even without knowing what we know from previous epis.  All these things are red flags.  I was actually expecting him to show up at the house after Kristen left.  You know grandma would have let him in.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I thought it was a pretty good episode, and I've been a little cold on the show so far. Sure, it was rather predicable and yes, the girls made some really bad choices, etc. But the mood they set was good and I liked the debunking of the 'Ghost Hunters" and the call back to The Exorcist. If every episode were as entertaining to me, it would be one of my favorite new shows.

As an aside, I was talking to my sister yesterday, and she sad there was nothing good to watch on Thurs. night. I suggested this show ( which I knew she wouldn't watch, as she never stays up past 10 PM.) But besides that she said she doesn't watch scary shows ! And she would think this is scary ! Which to me it's SOOO not !)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Wait, assuming that Leland was behind Fake Brenda, how did he know Real Brenda wasn't going to show up?  Did he give her slightly poisoned candy?  I wouldn't put it past him.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, sempervivum said:

Why is only her face burned- we saw her unburned neck, forearms and legs, plus she has a seemingly healthy head of hair? The only way she'd get that kind of injury would be with a blowtorch, or possibly a bomb going off right in her face.

Realism doesn't seem to be this show's strong point, and I don't mean the supernatural bits. Did I hear correctly that the doctor expected the daughter's heart issue to possibly change in three weeks? Like, it wasn't phrased as, "We need to run more tests and it'll take three weeks to get the results," but rather, "Something's still wrong, but let's check again in another three weeks and see if it changes." Like, WTF?

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, sempervivum said:

This means she's real, which opens up a some practical questions: Why isn't there an Amber Alert out for this troubled kid? Why is only her face burned- we saw her unburned neck, forearms and legs, plus she has a seemingly healthy head of hair? The only way she'd get that kind of injury would be with a blowtorch, or possibly a bomb going off right in her face.

And if her parents really burned her, wouldn't child services be involved? How can she just roam around. 

4 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Kristen seems as though she had no positive role model as a mom (and we haven't heard about her Dad yet). Despite his not being there, Kristen's husband/the girls' dad seems like a loser: he has 4 young children at home and he goes away for "work" for months at a time;.

And maybe that's all Kristen expects of him...

Maybe going away for months at a time is how he can maximize his income. I don't know how much Everest guides make, but I feel like climbing is an expensive sport. People may pay a lot for it. Four kids get expensive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
34 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Maybe going away for months at a time is how he can maximize his income. I don't know how much Everest guides make, but I feel like climbing is an expensive sport. People may pay a lot for it. Four kids get expensive.

He is a world famous top climber and Everest isn't the only mountain that people might want to climb, so he should be able to find work all year long doing what he loves.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

54 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Maybe going away for months at a time is how he can maximize his income. I don't know how much Everest guides make, but I feel like climbing is an expensive sport. People may pay a lot for it. Four kids get expensive.

Yeah, I don't think going away to make money makes you a bad parent.  People in the military do it all the time and nobody calls them bad parents.  As long as he actually comes back at some point, which is yet to be seen..

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I think the fake Brenda was supposed to be a ghost or demon so I don’t think child protective services would be an issue here. Leland is very creepy and I don’t see how the grandma would be attracted to him but he could have put an idea in her head or something.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

He is a world famous top climber and Everest isn't the only mountain that people might want to climb, so he should be able to find work all year long doing what he loves.

There are other mountains, but none in New York City.  If he is working as a mountain guide, he would be away regardless. He may be a shady guy or a loser, but I don't think him working on Everest is enough reason to decide that yet.

1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

I think the fake Brenda was supposed to be a ghost or demon so I don’t think child protective services would be an issue here. Leland is very creepy and I don’t see how the grandma would be attracted to him but he could have put an idea in her head or something.

Likely not, I was just speculating on whether she could be real and how it would be explained. So far, every potential supernatural event has been explained logically.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Except for the girl in the game and Leland who seems to have some evil powers. I think the cases they have worked on have mostly been explained ( the possessed woman seemed real) but it seems like something really evil had attached themselves to Kristin’s family. I think “Brenda “ is part of the evil.

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The missing dad sent a check for $900. That's not much for guide pay is it? Crikey, he could be working locally & doing better than $900.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I looked it up and read a few articles.  As with anything else, the services are negotiable depending on the destination.  A top guide might make several thousand dollars per expedition, but agency guides make a lot less (the agency takes a bite).  A newer guide might make only $1000 or so.  One guide's story was how he survived on $35,000 per year.  Hint:  he was a bum most of the year.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think the girl looks like Michael Emerson and that's why she's scaring the hell out of people.

This show is definitely getting tiresome. From the viewer's perspective, a lot of supernatural stuff is happening but they're always just short of finding proof. 

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Personally, I like that they aren't able to find "proof" to a lot of the supernatural things--not that this means that it is definitely supernatural, but rather that some things just don't have explanations.  I've mostly been able to separate myself from realistic expectations here, although the daughter's mysterious and possibly fatal heart condition that they can't seem to do anything about is hard to buy.

I will say that I fell into the horror movie trap during this episode of screaming, "No!  Not that!" during this episode.  Sadly, it was not during any "scary" part, but when Ben had the woman put her head back during a nose bleed.  Never do that! Put your head FORWARD!  Sigh...

While I do enjoy this show, I realized I would also enjoy a show that is just Ben going on various Ghosthunter-type shows and debunking what they are doing.  Aasif Mandvi is definitely my favorite part of this show.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 1:01 PM, Dowel Jones said:

Why haven't either Kristen or her husband ever noticed, or dealt with, the giant hole in the basement wall?

And how did notBrenda know about it while none of the girls who actually live in the house did?

And even though the kids said that they didn't know realBrenda, Kristen pointed out that they went to school with her.  So, even with the mask, are we to believe that notBrenda's hair, voice, size, etc were so similar that the girls didn't realize she was an imposter.

Finally, as if four screeching, annoying girls were not enough, they had to import two more.  As far as I could tell, the extra two added nothing to the story.  They could have just had original recipe four plus notBrenda and had the same storyline.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

And even though the kids said that they didn't know realBrenda, Kristen pointed out that they went to school with her.  So, even with the mask, are we to believe that notBrenda's hair, voice, size, etc were so similar that the girls didn't realize she was an imposter.

I'm actually OK with that.  Obviously she can only be in the same grade as one of the girls. And she might very well be in a different class from that one. Assuming real Brenda has similar hair and isn't to far off with size, I can totally believe that they would notice a voice differentiation, or other minor differences, in someone they barely know.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Finally, as if four screeching, annoying girls were not enough, they had to import two more.  As far as I could tell, the extra two added nothing to the story.  They could have just had original recipe four plus notBrenda and had the same storyline.

I appreciated the fact that they were shown having friends... it was getting a little weird/ unbelievable that the four sisters are always hanging out with one another and doing everything together, particular since there seems to be a five or six year range in their ages. Honestly it would have been more believable if it had just been the younger two with friends over/ falling under notBrenda's influence while the older two continued trick or treating with friends or went to a Halloween party or something. I don't get why they always have to be attached at the hip. I did like that the one girl (Lexis?) decided she'd had enough of the notBrenda-led shenanigans and separated herself from the group.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I wanted to see notBrenda's face. So, the girls never go to the basement for anything? They also invite a school girl that they don't really know in to the home? The girl has no phone to call home and tell mom or dad where she is? The cemetery is conveniently open at night? Not here. Too easy for folks to vandalize grave sites.

The nonBrenda creepy story seemed a bit disjointed along with the other ones.

Is Leland behind this very long con? Has something come in to the house?

I do miss The Exorcist. It just did this type of thing better. Did like the street light going out.

Do I believe the woman was possessed? Dunno. I would think exorcisms would take a lot longer than a few hours. Just seemed a plot point to deal with the visions.

Did like the Ghosthunters story.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size