Type keyword(s) to search

S39.E05: Don't Bite the Hand That Feeds You

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

I felt like production/Jeff were totally trolling because they weren’t happy with the forced product placement. The tribe reactions felt like forced over the top nonsense. But what really convinced me was that they chose Karishma, who they’ve edited as a whiny dead weight wet blanket all season, to give the only talking head where she enthusiastically exclaimed Applebee’s!Is!My!Favorite!Restaurant!Ever!!!!  It’s like they purposely chose the worst spokesperson out there. “Okay Crapapplebee’s, we’ll do your stupid infomercial, but we’re gonna make sure it looks as ridiculous as possible!”

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, phlebas said:

Respect.

I have an Applebee's nearby but I have to drive 45 minutes to get to a Taco Bell. AND I HAVE DONE SO.

I know it's shit.  I don't care 🙂

But if any of you crave Arby's, don't tell me...

12 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

First of all, I will not be Applebee's shamed here!  I could eat a plate of their boneless buffalo wings the size of my head and you cannot take that away from me. (Look, I live in an area so rural that we have to drive 40 minutes just to get to someplace as 'nice' as Applebee's, so give me a break lol.)

And while I find Karishma just as useless and whiny as everyone else, I still wanted to crotch punch Jeff for his running commentary of how much she sucked in the immunity challenge.  Give it a rest, dude - you think we can't see that she's slow?  You think her tribemates can't see it?  We all get it.

I live in a small town that is kinda hippy and they have a main street with all the restaurants and there are NO chains in town. The folks here fight that. On the edge of town, near the highway, is a dumpy section that has some fast food places, all the main ones. It's about 12 mins drive. But not one single chain sit down restaurant and I too crave me some Applebees or Red Robin once in a while. You know, when you're sitting around being lazy or have been doing chores so you don't feel like primping up. Or you don't want to fight parking and getting seated at the small congested popular main street venues. Or you wanna watch a game while eating. ANd you want a simple burger or quesadillas (not quinoa kale avocado some such) and, dare I say it, cheap lite draft beer (not some icky craft crap). And you don't want to spend $65 for just 2 meals and 2 waters. Sigh...I looked at that footage of Applebees food longingly. 

(Oh, and I like Arby's....we don't have that either 🙁)

Edited by Lamima
  • LOL 2
  • Love 13

My husband and I ate at an Applebee's around 1995. At that moment, we made a "life decision" to never eat there again. I'd rather eat at McDonald's for that food quality. When our kids were small and we'd drive past an Applebees, they would ask to stop because they'd seen the adds. My husband would tell them that we didn't eat there because all they served was broccoli. It was a running joke with us for years. Anyway, when that popped up as at reward, we were both "I'd be tempted to say 'No thanks, Jeff. I'm good with the rice.'" also when Karishma said it was her favorite sit down place I had to ask "where on earth does she live??" and now I realize from visiting here it's Philadelphia??? I mean I might understand if it was an Arkansas town. I grew up in rural Arkansas, so Western Sizzlin was fine dining for my little town.

Anyway, I understand what they are doing with not voting out Karishma but on the other hand, winning is nice (you never know; blindsides can happen if someone in power decides one in the alliance is a threat). Not going to tribal is always helpful. Also, I just don't see how she comes across as that loyal. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

Hahaha we are all talking about Applebee's and like someone upthread said, I am beginning to think this was masterful product placement.  I too thought that Applebee's was dead or dying, but not after last night.  I have to believe that the contestants were coached in advance on what to say.  I don't think I've been to an Applebee's in at least 15 years.  It's definitely a road trip type restaurant to me... you know, it's late and everyone is cranky and hungry and you don't necessarily need great food, just something familiar and mediocre.

But just watch... Survivor is going to do for Applebee's what "Office Space" and its 37 pieces of flair did for TGI Friday's.  Applebee's is apparently back!

I am a bit nostalgic for the halcyon days when Survivor and I were both a little younger and less jaded.  When the reward was Dorito's.  Or Mountain Dew.  Such simple rewards.  And the contestants orgasmed just as much.  Le sigh.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Nashville said:

I was noticing that as well, and I think it’s because Dean’s face is so... featureless as to approach artificiality.  Unmarked by wrinkles or blemishes to the point Dean’s face looks - unfinished, more like an anime pencil drawing than real life.  And it’s not exactly an appealing quality.

Nailed it.

4 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I wonder why they kept Dean.  Do they think he will be better in challenges than Tom, or do they think he is such a douchebag that they don't see him as a social threat, like the more likable Tom might be?

I just assume that it's because they sussed that Tom had closer ties to his original tribe that Dean did. Hell, Karishma could have even told them that. I refuse to accept that these idiots think Dean is an asset in challenges.

• Love 1

Karishma is a whiner.  Can't stand her.  Stupidest decision at a tribal council ever!

I actually like Applebee's, and like a poster above, I live in a rural area where there isn't a lot of other choices.  Besides, if I had been on a diet of rice and sand for a couple of weeks I would probably chew on shoe leather - at least something that had flavor to it.

• Love 6

I was amazed they kept karishma.  She absolutely was the reason they lost both challenges. Had Jamall had time to work that puzzle he probably would’ve got it first because he’s so good at puzzles but he was so far behind there was no catching up. And Dean also didn’t have enough time to allow a missed shot or two. The other team had plenty of time. how many shots did the other guy get to throw before he got three? Dean only got to throw what four or five shots while under pressure while the other guy had plenty of time. They will not win food challenges which will make them weaker. They will not win immunity challenges and eventually the three outsiders were all going to be  voted out before the other five so by keeping her it’s just going to be a longer process and they’re going to be hungrier. 

Plus I think her “confessional” was a very strategic move on her part. It was fully intended to make people feel sorry for her and was a total social move on her part. After all she is a lawyer and knows how to manipulate.

Edited by watch2much
Add
  • Love 9

Another thing I read a while back that the reason they have to do product placement like Applebee’s or outback they’ve done that in the past is because so many people can fast forward through commercials now which kind of makes sense so I don’t really have a problem with them mentioning Applebees favorably

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, watch2much said:

I was amazed they kept karishma.  She absolutely was the reason they lost both challenges. Had Jamall had time to work that puzzle he probably would’ve got it first because he’s so good at puzzles but he was so far behind there was no catching up. And Dean also didn’t have enough time to allow a missed shot or two. The other team had plenty of time. how many shots did the other guy get to throw before he got three? Dean only got to throw what four or five shots while under pressure while the other guy had plenty of time. They will not win food challenges which will make them weaker. They will not win immunity challenges and eventually the three outsiders were all going to be  voted out before the other five so by keeping her it’s just going to be a longer process and they’re going to be hungrier. 

Plus I think her “confessional” was a very strategic move on her part. It was fully intended to make people feel sorry for her and was a total social move on her part. After all she is a lawyer and knows how to manipulate.

the food reward issue is perhaps the best reason to dump her. None of the 3 people they were debating between are big threats or on the verge of pulling together a coup--so get rid of the person who causes you to starve pre merge and risk some idol screwing up your game. It will be funny if they lose, Dean gets an idol, they go for him and he kicks out one of the power people as a result. I just did not see the strong case for keeping her. Dean and Tom don't come across as master players that need to be squashed the first chance you get. . .  They kind of acted like they needed her the way a tribe with an even split desperately needs someone to flip.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, himela said:

By the way, Dan is the biggest loser this season; his only story is him being a perv who likes touching women inappropriately. 😛

Yes, I had pretty much forgotten about him haha.  I keep thinking he looks like the old guy shark from Shark Tank.

10 hours ago, himela said:

I'm happy this misogynistic idiot was voted out because I would not want to see him taken to the end.

I understand this is a majority view - but all Tom did to prove himself to be an alleged misogynist was try to find the words to describe his appreciation for Elaine's frankness and practicality, as he stumbled on his 60 year old legs through hot forest on day one. I think he was trying to say, as Janet said appreciatively about him, that Elaine was a no-nonsense sort of person, and that she was a bit of a tomboy (if you're still allowed to say that, probably not, don't care).

Elaine is not fussing around with her hair, and artfully tying scarves in new combinations, or whining about being in her underwear in the water, or sitting around while others carry firewood or heft logs about, and she's not sucking her gut in either, which I find delightful.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

I actually like Applebee's, and like a poster above, I live in a rural area where there isn't a lot of other choices.  Besides, if I had been on a diet of rice and sand for a couple of weeks I would probably chew on shoe leather - at least something that had flavor to it.

I would too - and if Jeff had served me nachos - I would die.  I'd probably spout off all the commercial lines too.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Nashville said:

I was noticing that as well, and I think it’s because Dean’s face is so... featureless as to approach artificiality.  Unmarked by wrinkles or blemishes to the point Dean’s face looks - unfinished, more like an anime pencil drawing than real life.  And it’s not exactly an appealing quality.

I dunno, there's something off about his nose. Either it's been broken and healed crooked, or it's too big and in the wrong place or something.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

(small voice) when I used to live nearer to an Appleby's I loved their mudslide drink and quesadilla hamburger.  Good times...

I would like to see a season when they do not merge the tribes until the very end (if that).  I totally get that the tribe felt they could lose two more immunity challenges and vote the minority members out without touching their own alliance.  I would love to see everyone scrambling once they realize there is no merge.  Make is so Jeff!  Like others have noted, too many people are playing too far ahead.

As for Karishna, I read her bio and it stated that she fell in love with a good man from Texas.  How do we even know if she had an arranged marriage other than her saying so.  I don't necessarily believe anything she says as she also said she was good with puzzles (liar) and physically strong (liar).  Therefore, her 'sob' stories could just be more lies that she is saying in order to gain sympathy.  

I applied for Survivor a few times when I was younger and in pretty good physical shape.  However, as that egan to change I stopped applying as I felt I would hinder a team (and puzzles were never a strength of mine).  Contestants should be aware of the various types of challenges.  Karishna just seems too out of touch with what Survivor is actually about.  Sigh.

I do think though that this tribe could win a challenge if it's primarily puzzle based as Jamal is a wizard at them.  Oh, and the challenges when they try to forceably move the members of the other team?  That may be a lock for this tribe as well.

I want more snark from Rob and Sandra.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

(small voice) when I used to live nearer to an Appleby's I loved their mudslide drink and quesadilla hamburger.  Good times...

I would like to see a season when they do not merge the tribes until the very end (if that).  I totally get that the tribe felt they could lose two more immunity challenges and vote the minority members out without touching their own alliance.  I would love to see everyone scrambling once they realize there is no merge.  Make is so Jeff!  Like others have noted, too many people are playing too far ahead.

As for Karishna, I read her bio and it stated that she fell in love with a good man from Texas.  How do we even know if she had an arranged marriage other than her saying so.  I don't necessarily believe anything she says as she also said she was good with puzzles (liar) and physically strong (liar).  Therefore, her 'sob' stories could just be more lies that she is saying in order to gain sympathy.  

I applied for Survivor a few times when I was younger and in pretty good physical shape.  However, as that egan to change I stopped applying as I felt I would hinder a team (and puzzles were never a strength of mine).  Contestants should be aware of the various types of challenges.  Karishna just seems too out of touch with what Survivor is actually about.  Sigh.

I do think though that this tribe could win a challenge if it's primarily puzzle based as Jamal is a wizard at them.  Oh, and the challenges when they try to forceably move the members of the other team?  That may be a lock for this tribe as well.

I want more snark from Rob and Sandra.

Quesadilla burger is my fave. The mud slide is good too. But I'd do those fishbowl sangrias. MMMM. How about the wonton something apps. We had an Applebee's near our last house. I do miss it...call me crazy!

And they did have a season go near to the end before merge. A whole tribe decimated and left Stephanie as solo on her tribe. It wasn't pretty. That was some tough times there. Not this wimpy game they play now.

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

As a Canadian, I don't even know what Applebee's sells! 

I think I ate there once about 20 years ago, but maybe that was a Chili's. It's just American food but in grotesque portions with nonsensical add-ins (like Twizzlers in the margaritas).

21 hours ago, Omeletsmom said:

It's not his wife; it's a woman he used to date.  Kellee asked why they were not together anymore.  I doubt production grills the cast on every past relationship.  I do not see shenanigans at all.

A similar thing happened in Gabon when Marcus and Crystal found out they had a mutual friend, or Marcus's friend was Crystal's cousin or something. Marcus thought this meant that he could use Crystal as a secondary alliance but then she voted him out. He was so bitter about it, which was hilarious because Marcus was a terrible person.

4 hours ago, OldWiseOne said:

I think part of it is that [Karishma]'s not just useless, she's not a competitor. You don't get the feeling that she's giving it her all and putting every ounce of energy on the line, she is just there, just fumbling through, and then making excuses. To me that is more annoying than her physical shortcomings at challenges.

Yeah, Jeff gets a lot of (mostly) undeserved crap for favoring athletic men, but it seems to me that he just likes active rather than passive players. He loves Ciera and Sandra, neither of whom are physical threats, but they were always making strategic moves or scheming and even if it didn't always work out for them, he at least admired the effort. The players who coattail and whine are annoying to him, and while I do think he could make more of an effort to hide his disdain, I get why it bugs him. Karishma's sad sack act is irritating me too, and I usually like the weirdo outcast or at least have some sympathy for them.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 15
11 hours ago, blackwing said:

I feel like it's been a while since we've seen an idol clue at a food reward?  When was the last time?

Was it table-cloth shared spaghetti? *shudder*

6 hours ago, Nashville said:

Assuming Karishma actually is a lawyer, nothing she’s said/done to date would necessarily indicate she’s a good lawyer. 😉 

There are also a myriad of lawyers jobs/roles that are nothing like what people think when they say "lawyer" which often means to them a litigator. And it takes many many lawyers to fill a firm and the low-lying levels are rife with high turnover and low pay for long hours. Saying "I'm a lawyer" means nothing much more than you passed the state's Bar exam and are licensed.

1 hour ago, Lamima said:

And they did have a season go near to the end before merge. A whole tribe decimated and left Stephanie as solo on her tribe. It wasn't pretty. That was some tough times there. Not this wimpy game they play now.

Damn, that was brutal. So different from today's almost posh living...

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 8

I don’t dislike Karishma as many do. She’s not necessarily a favorite but no one really is. Who knows if her marital problems are lie, truth or a mix but I will say that living as roommates with a spouse is not just lack of sex. It’s a lack of emotional intimacy, loss of friendship and feeling oddly alone even while with someone. If that’s truly how she’s living - it sucks. 

Jeff used to entertain me but more and more I just find him grating. His calling out of Karishma felt oddly personal. Like he simply doesn’t like her. If so, grow up man, this is a tv show. And your money-making livelihood. Maybe they edited his heckling of others out but still it didn’t sit right with me.  

Tom didn’t bother me. I understand the way he operates. But I’m old. I also thought he played well, not for his age, but regardless. Surprising me I’m beginning to appreciate  Noura’s annoying ways at times. 

• Love 7

I honestly expected Noura to tear Karishma a new one for not trying hard enough, or give her a life coaching session at the very least.

Is Applebees a comfort food kind of place?  Maybe that's why Karishma likes it?

Sorry to see tom go, he could have been cut later.

• Love 1

I doubt that Applebee's is Karishma's favorite restaurant.  She is just the most susceptible to producer pressure.  If there is another product promotion later in the game, then that product will probably be her favorite too.

Regarding Dean's face:  That guy is a total Picasso.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

And while I find Karishma just as useless and whiny as everyone else, I still wanted to crotch punch Jeff for his running commentary of how much she sucked in the immunity challenge.  Give it a rest, dude - you think we can't see that she's slow?  You think her tribemates can't see it?  We all get it.

I hate it when Peachy does commentary.  It adds nothing to the challenges and just serves as background noise.

15 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:

I think new Lairo's only hope for an immunity win is a huge come from behind puzzle win by Jamal.  

Jamal seems to have some sort of magical powers when it comes to puzzles that guy is a wizard with them.  

15 hours ago, phlebas said:

Respect.

I have an Applebee's nearby but I have to drive 45 minutes to get to a Taco Bell. AND I HAVE DONE SO.

I know it's shit.  I don't care 🙂

But if any of you crave Arby's, don't tell me...

I did the same with Red Robin.  About fifteen years ago there were none locally and the closest one was about a 45 minute drive.  So every so often I would hop in the car and drive up there just for that.  Now there are two within about a 15 minute drive and I never go to either one.

14 hours ago, portergirl99 said:

It is beyond annoying that Karishma's entire strategy seems to be telling her teammates she brings value (without bringing any) + sob stories that REALLY don't belong on national television ahead of a frank conversation with her roommate/husband

I am not sure why, but the term roommate/husband had me cracking up.  

12 hours ago, Nashville said:

Maybe Dean is a synth from Fallout 4...

9 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

The burden is bringing shame to your family for being an unmarried woman.  I feel the same pressure from my own mother, but it's a totally different culture.  I think a lot of women feel like this or are made to feel like this.

Not just on women.  My mother gets on me about it from time to time.  She'll say, "I would love to have a grandkid to spoil but you and your sister are getting older and that's probably not going to happen now."

Hell I often think the only way I will ever find a wife would be through a mail order bride or and arranged marriage.

9 hours ago, OldWiseOne said:

I think part of it is that she's not just useless, she's not a competitor. You don't get the feeling that she's giving it her all and putting every ounce of energy on the line, she is just there, just fumbling through, and then making excuses. To me that is more annoying than her physical shortcomings at challenges.

That is why I do not like her.  I have liked plenty of players who were not great at challenges (Chet, Suzie are two that come to me right now).  For me her constant complaining and excuses is what bothers me about her.

• Love 6
On 10/23/2019 at 8:08 PM, Lantern7 said:

When was the last time we had sponsored food? Probst was selling the shit out of Applebee’s. It’s not even the merge. I don’t know if it’s time to basically orgasm (or pretend to do so) for grub.

I want to say Game Changers, but it could be even later than that.  I'm almost certain that it was Outback as the sponsor though, since there was the Outback Shack.

On 10/23/2019 at 8:09 PM, LadyChatts said:

Kellee has one more TC to play her idol, right?

One more TC that the tribe she is on attends, yes.  And given the tribe she's currently on... yeah, just one more TC.

On 10/23/2019 at 8:10 PM, LanceM said:

Karishma is going to cockroach her way all the way to the end, isn't she? lol

Karishma is no Eliza Orlins.

18 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

First of all, I will not be Applebee's shamed here!  I could eat a plate of their boneless buffalo wings the size of my head and you cannot take that away from me. (Look, I live in an area so rural that we have to drive 40 minutes just to get to someplace as 'nice' as Applebee's, so give me a break lol.)

Fair enough for someone in your residential area.  But Karishma lives here in Houston, TX (not Philly anymore.)  And Houston is one of the foodier cities in the state!  Ninfa's, Los Cucos, the Pappas family, etc.  Lots of great options, and her "favorite" place is Applebee's.  🙄

On 10/23/2019 at 8:06 PM, vb68 said:

I was hoping it would be Krishma because I find her pretty annoying. Not only is she bad at challenges, she's such a whiner. All I could think when she said Applebees was her favorite restaurant was "Oh girl, aim higher."

My sentiments exactly.

12 hours ago, Bryce Lynch said:
12 hours ago, Nashville said:

Assuming Karishma actually is a lawyer, nothing she’s said/done to date would necessarily indicate she’s a good lawyer. 😉 

Here is her profile from the law firm she works for.  

https://www.jimadler.com/about-us/lawyers/karishma-sandesara/

Hah!  She works at the firm run by a man that unironically calls himself "The Texas Hammer."  He's a personal injury lawyer known throughout the state for his over-the-top advertising.  (And that's not even the best example...)  Not quite an ambulance chaser, but pretty close.

If she's with that firm, that might actually explain the whole Applebee's thing.

6 hours ago, fishcakes said:
On 10/23/2019 at 8:54 PM, North of Eden said:

Calling shennanigans on Kelly being Dean's wife college buddy. The country is too big for such a wild coincidence...so why would the casting director allow this. It gives an unfair advantage like a certain annoying accented pair from Staten Island in another recent CBS reality show.

A similar thing happened in Gabon when Marcus and Crystal found out they had a mutual friend, or Marcus's friend was Crystal's cousin or something. Marcus thought this meant that he could use Crystal as a secondary alliance but then she voted him out. He was so bitter about it, which was hilarious because Marcus was a terrible person.

There was also Patrick and Ali in HvHvH.  Both on the Hustlers tribe to start, and both attended the same college at the same time.  One even helped the other move once, so the two were definitely pre-acquainted.  And that all came out in the casting process, so casting both at the same time was deliberate.  Didn't help either of them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, marys1000 said:

This season doesn't suck...........but........am I the only one who is feeling sort of bored?  Not sure why. 

I feel the same! Maybe it's because so far I don't have a single favourite player. Not even close. They're a pretty tough, competitive bunch which is fine, but I'm not finding any of them particularly humorous or endearing. 

I'm hoping this changes as the season continues. 

• Love 5

It may have been the most boring episode so far, which was strange for a tribe swap.  The best part was the reward challenge, which seemed harder than I've normally seen with that, making them go over those big humps.  The immunity challenge wasn't close and once I saw who was doing the puzzle it was obviously over, he aces all of them.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, amazingracefan said:

The immunity challenge wasn't close and once I saw who was doing the puzzle it was obviously over, he aces all of them.

1. There was no puzzle in the immunity challenge.  It was in the reward challenge.
  2. If you're referring to Jamal, he was on the tribe that lost.
On 10/23/2019 at 9:04 PM, truthaboutluv said:

: Nutty though she may be, that was bad ass on Noura's part that she essentially dragged herself and Karishma to the finish line of that challenge. 

Noura is most definitely my favorite passed away and years and years. I love her nutty, fun, eccentric personality. I think she's awesome and I am rooting for her big time.

• Love 2

If they actually WANTED to win immunity challenges, they should have gotten rid of Karishma. But, they don't. They WANT to lose the next three immunity challenges to get rid of the 3 former other tribe members while protecting the 4 members of their previous tribe on the evenly divided other tribe. Once they've gotten rid of the 3, then they can start winning. I predict that Karishma will be the last to go of the 3.

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Last time I went to an Applebees was 15-20 years ago and they ran out of nachos (yes, nachos!)... I figured if they were too lazy to buy a couple bags at the grocery store across the parking lot I would hold a grudge for far too long and never go back 🤣

Edited by FlyingEgret
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Hah!  She works at the firm run by a man that unironically calls himself "The Texas Hammer."  He's a personal injury lawyer known throughout the state for his over-the-top advertising.  (And that's not even the best example...)  Not quite an ambulance chaser, but pretty close.

So, basically she is an associate at Saul Goodman and Associates?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 10/23/2019 at 9:54 PM, North of Eden said:

Calling shennanigans on Kelly being Dean's wife college buddy. The country is too big for such a wild coincidence...so why would the casting director allow this. It gives an unfair advantage like a certain annoying accented pair from Staten Island in another recent CBS reality show.

I believe she was friends with Dean's ex-gf.   I don't see any shenanigans.  Dean and Kellee never met, but had a friend in common.  Ali and Patrick on HvHvH realized that they were acquaintances.

I don't see how it is an unfair advantage.  The "relationship" is not nearly close enough for them to want to work together as a pair, if it is not beneficial to them both.   

I would think players who have no acquaintances  in common, but have the same breed of dog, root for the same sports team, or watch the same TV shows would probably feel more of a bond than two people who happen to know the same person.  

• Love 5
On 10/24/2019 at 7:02 AM, JudyObscure said:

I really don't like Dean.  I disliked the sneering way he talked about Karishma, "time to cut the fat," or made fun of Tommy's looks. Dean thought he was so smart wasting time being a detective to figure out who had masterminded the last vote, when he should have been  busy ingratiating himself with everyone.  He just seems like a cocky frat boy to me.

Same. But his "brilliant" and "subtle" interrogation of his teammates had me rolling. Some finesse, there, Dean.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

I've just gotten caught up on this season. I've watched every single one of them, but last spring I got really bored and had to binge watch most of it. Then I held off on this current season because I thought the addition of Boston Rob and Sandra sounded pretty lame and would pull needed time away from the story. But to my surprise, I am liking this season more than any in recent years. Maybe it's because there's so much diversity among the cast this time. Even the Rob and Sandra bits have been entertaining, although I think they've already run out of good tips to share.

I had to laugh at the comment about finding Dean's face intriguing. Dean does look like Noah Wylie after multiple fistfights (a combination of comments above). Apologies to Springsteen fans, but my first thought was that he looks a bit like a young Bruce, too. Props to him for that hot bod, though, and for having hair that never seems to get messed up. The episode title referred to an early comment about him in this episode, and I went back and forth several times on whether he was being voted off or the title was just a misdirect.

How is it that Survivor has gone this many seasons without casting a Canadian?

And in an odd coincidence, I just ate at an Applebee's last week, for the first time in many years. It's the closest restaurant to home, but we never go there because there's something that feels institutional or prepackaged about it all  -- the food, the lighting, the decor, etc. We only went because it was too late to go to any of our favorite places.

• Love 1

It seems to me that Jack is the most invisible castaway in years. Has he had a confessional?

Yes, early on when he and Molly thought they were running the whole show then Molly got blind-sided. He's been invisible since then.

On 10/24/2019 at 7:21 AM, phlebas said:

It was a bad move if the Applebee’s marketing people had anything to do with it. If all that was paid for by the people who make Pepto Bismol, it was genius.

Whenever I see these types of rewards, my mind goes to the fact that these people have been subsisting on rice and coconuts and are very suddenly introducing quesadillas full of meat, cheese, onions and peppers and a huge piece of gooey chocolate cake into their system, washed down with a bowl of blue alcohol topped with a gummy shark.  If that's not a recipe for disaster, I don't know what is.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:15 AM, TaraS1 said:

The way the show is edited, I always think that the contestant being slammed by Probst can hear every word he's saying, but with all the niose from the other players, that's probably not the case in most instances.  Regardless, if he feels the irrepressable urge to snark on someone, the least he can do is spread it around a bit so it's not completely obvious who he loathes with every fiber of his being.

On 10/24/2019 at 8:56 AM, marys1000 said:

Well I sort of watched most of last nights episode.  

I have forgotten to watch the last couple, and havent bothered to go to on demand. 

This season doesn't suck...........but........am I the only one who is feeling sort of bored?  Not sure why. 

Not bored here, just....jaded, maybe?  I long for the Survivor days of old where we didn't have a thousand distractions and were allowed to actually get to know the players.  I hate that they've removed the title sequence with the players' names.  I can absolutely do without surprise visits from Boston Rob or Cochran, 10+ immunity idols per season, and any island named Extinction, Ghost, or Redemption.  I am patiently waiting for TPTB to recognize that going back to the simpler style of Survivor, even for a couple of seasons, might be the refresher that many long-time fans are craving.  

43 minutes ago, Rough Draft said:

It seems to me that Jack is the most invisible castaway in years. Has he had a confessional?

There's a Jack??!?  I literally can't picture anyone named Jack!

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 6
On 10/24/2019 at 9:43 AM, DEL901 said:

Something Karishma said...her family ragged on her for being a burden for a decade before she gave in and got married... isn't she a lawyer?  Couldn't she pay her own way?   Maybe I misunderstood?

Also, there is bonding and there is over-sharing.  Talking about how you were more or less shamed/forced into an arranged marriage that is making you miserable on tv, especially when you aren't on a show about relationships... was not a good idea.

Am I the only one thinking that Karishma is lying about that to get sympathy?  It's one of her only cards - that whole thing with cutting her hand and then lying on the ground in front of everyone else, was to try to get sympathy.  She's got that, and then swearing to be loyal.

Not my favorite player of all time.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, watch2much said:

I was amazed they kept karishma.  She absolutely was the reason they lost both challenges.

Retaining Karishma was a purely strategic decision, based upon the answers to three questions:

1. Do you follow the first-tribes-first ethos (also known as “<insert original tribe name here> Strong”)?
  2. Does enough original-tribe depth exist with the minority tribe that the majority tribe can Pagong the minority up until the Merge without having to eat one of their own?
  3. Is maintaining original-tribe numeric superiority post-Merge a significant enough goal for you that you’re willing to sacrifice the creature comforts of the occasional challenge reward to attain that goal?

If the answers to all three questions are ‘Yes’, then it makes perfect sense for the tribe with the post-shuffle 5-3 majority to (a) continually throw every challenge, then (b) get rid of the minority tribe’s most significant threats at each subsequent TC.  

(In truth I suspect the original TC target was Dean, right up until he started mouthing off about how totally out-of-the-loop he’d been at Chelsea’s eviction - and in so doing, emphasized his absolute lack of a supporting social structure within his own original tribe.)

If the answer to #1 is ‘Yes’ - but maybe not so much #2 and/or #3 - then I’d expect more ping-ponging back and forth between the two new tribes.  This represents a much-greater risk for the overall original-majority tribe, though, as a single TC/HII could flip the balance of power on the evenly-split post-swap tribe.

36 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Whenever I see these types of rewards, my mind goes to the fact that these people have been subsisting on rice and coconuts and are very suddenly introducing quesadillas full of meat, cheese, onions and peppers and a huge piece of gooey chocolate cake into their system, washed down with a bowl of blue alcohol topped with a gummy shark.  If that's not a recipe for disaster, I don't know what is.

A gummy shark?  Seriously?  Every alcoholic I ever knew just threw up in their mouths a little.

36 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

The way the show is edited, I always think that the contestant being slammed by Probst can hear every word he's saying, but with all the niose from the other players, that's probably not the case in most instances.  Regardless, if he feels the irrepressable urge to snark on someone, the least he can do is spread it around a bit so it's not completely obvious who he loathes with every fiber of his being.

Here’s how I’ve always looked at Probst’s running Challenge commentaries:

1. Probst always - ALWAYS - kisses the collective asses of the comp front-runners, and snarks on the deadweight dragging ass in last place.  Don’t want Peachy snarking on you?  Then STOP DRAGGING ASS IN LAST PLACE.  Seriously.
  2. Purely supposition on my part - but I’d guess if you truly have your head in the game then you’re not paying attention to a damn thing Jiffy says, be it praises or pillories. Paying close enough attention to Probst’s snark to respond to it?  Then congratulations - you just laid claim to every piece of shit Probst slung your way.  If you were paying as much attention to working the comp as you were Jeff Motherfucking Probst, then you might have actually stood a chance of not actively sucking.
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

the fact that these people have been subsisting on rice and coconuts and are very suddenly introducing quesadillas full of meat, cheese, onions and peppers and a huge piece of gooey chocolate cake into their system, washed down with a bowl of blue alcohol topped with a gummy shark.  If that's not a recipe for disaster, I don't know what is.

My thoughts exactly. I was surprised when one of them said later it was an awesome reward. Somehow his body managed to cope with the giant feast, but I'd be surprised if they were all that lucky. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Retaining Karishma was a purely strategic decision, based upon the answers to three questions:

1. Do you follow the first-tribes-first ethos (also known as “<insert original tribe name here> Strong”)?
  2. Does enough original-tribe depth exist with the minority tribe that the majority tribe can Pagong the minority up until the Merge without having to eat one of their own?
  3. Is maintaining original-tribe numeric superiority post-Merge a significant enough goal for you that you’re willing to sacrifice the creature comforts of the occasional challenge reward to attain that goal?

If the answers to all three questions are ‘Yes’, then it makes perfect sense for the tribe with the post-shuffle 5-3 majority to (a) continually throw every challenge, then (b) get rid of the minority tribe’s most significant threats at each subsequent TC.  

I don't necessarily disagree with the strategy.  I just think that at some point, your basic survival and competitive instinct kicks in.  For the most part, the kind of people who want to be on Survivor are no shrinking violets... they are competitive and successful people who know what they want and are driven to get it.  We have seen tribes in the past purposely throw challenges, but this is done with discussion in advance and done strategically.  I think the difference in this situation is that the tribe does not appear to be purposely losing. 

The bigger reason why I don't think they purposely threw the reward challenge is there would be no reason to.  All of them are hungry, and at some point, they want to eat.  

I really don't think they threw either challenge.  I'm kind of surprised that after losing the reward challenge that there wasn't more blame placed on Karishma (and to a lesser extent, Janet) over losing the challenge for them.  And that there wasn't more discussion about losing Karishma after she lost them the immunity challenge.  Dean was very close to winning the challenge even with the huge disadvantage caused by Karishma.  I'm surprised more of the tribe didn't say, "hmmm if we hadn't had Karishma we wouldn't have lost the reward challenge, and if we had had more food in us, maybe we would have won the immunity challenge".

• Love 1

I'm white, but I'm married to an Indian who immigrated here at the age of 30. So Karishma had some sympathy from me going into the show. That being said, I'm starting to tire of her as well. First of all, the pressure to get married in an arranged marriage is getting weaker and weaker even in India. Most single Indians in America who were primarily raised here opt for love marriages. That being said, the ones that I've met in arranged marriages are very happy. Modern arranged marriages aren't really what she described when she explained her parent's marriage. Today it's more like parents setting their children up, and the children deciding. 

Also there is no way someone with an Indian background like hers would consider Applebee's her favorite restaurant or comfort food. Indian comfort food is found at, surprise, surprise, an Indian restaurant. That confessional was obviously forced upon her.

Regarding Probst's challenge commentary, I was not so much annoyed at his Karishma commentary but his anti Lairo comments during the immunity challenge. He kept saying over and over that Lairo had only one win, but this current Lairo mix is predominantly made up of former Vokai tribemates who had the winning streak.

• Love 5

I started off liking this season so much, but was off making banana nicecream when they were eating the horrible reward food - so missed if there was any hint via camera of a hidden advantage that they all missed?

Normally I would rewatch the ep, but for the last few eps have not had the heart to do so. There are still a lot of players I am keen on: Janet, Elaine, Jason, Kellee, Lauren, in  particular, but it is not the most engaging series and/or edit.

Maybe I'm still sulking about Vince getting the boot, instead of Karishma. And now Tom, ditto... Maybe it's how much of the show is sucked up by underlining the point of how hopeless and useless Karishma is, to the point where it's soul-sucking to watch, and rather unkind. Maybe I'll have to start rooting for her, somehow?

I hate the way they have previews, wtf, instead of 'previously on Survivor'. What are we, goldfish, that we need previews?! Sorry, goldfish, that's probably just a rumor.  And they're stupid snippy little previews. Pointless. 

Having Rob and Sandra in the spyshack is good value, but they can can their mentoring sessions now, as far as I'm concerned, and go back to hidden idols. Shoving them in means the rest of the edit, especially pre-Tribal, is too choppy, unless they are spending more camera time on Karishma moping about.

And, I agree, bring back the title credits, even if truncated.

Edit to add: Oh my god, the whiny is catching! Hahaha.

Edited by violet and green
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, albinerhawk said:

I'm white, but I'm married to an Indian who immigrated here at the age of 30. So Karishma had some sympathy from me going into the show. That being said, I'm starting to tire of her as well. First of all, the pressure to get married in an arranged marriage is getting weaker and weaker even in India. Most single Indians in America who were primarily raised here opt for love marriages. That being said, the ones that I've met in arranged marriages are very happy. Modern arranged marriages aren't really what she described when she explained her parent's marriage. Today it's more like parents setting their children up, and the children deciding.

Interesting.  They explored this on the show "Four Weddings and a Funeral" which I REALLY enjoyed this year.  There was a plot as you described.

13 minutes ago, violet and green said:

Normally I would rewatch the ep, but for the last few eps have not had the heart to do so. There are still a lot of players I am keen on: Janet, Elaine, Jason, Kellee, Lauren, in  particular, but it is not the most engaging series and/or edit.

I hate the way they have previews, wtf, instead of 'previously on Survivor'. What are we, goldfish, that we need previews?! Sorry, goldfish, that's probably just a rumor.  And they're stupid snippy little previews. Pointless. 

And, I agree, bring back the title credits, even if truncated.

Agree!  Agree!  Agree!  I really like Kellee to be honest, and I want to like Lauren, but there's been no good stuff about her in sooooo long.  I'm sure Elaine is really entertaining too.  Possibly even Jason.