Type keyword(s) to search

Rock The Block - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I had never watched Jasmine's show before this, and I watched a bunch of season 1 and I'm not sure if it is that she doesn't have a design concept going in or if she isn't good at communicating it.    When I see some designers--such as Leanne or even Alison, or Joanna Gaines, I can understand how it all comes together in their heads--into a cohesive design---not always a design I like or agree with but I do see they HAVE a plan.   After I watched Hidden Potential, I noticed a lot of details--she bought or installed pretty things, but all those pretty things didn't make a memorable impression for me.    But with that said--their mission was not to design the prettiest home--it was the most $$$ amount added to the value, so it made sense to me that Jasmine and Mina would come in on top--that is what their businesses are.    I honestly could not repeat many details of either of their homes--they were nice but I didn't get that excited.   I always think Good Bones homes are nice but over-decorated and tight on space.  I assume their buyers send back all the stuff and furnish the homes themselves --but who knows?

I really did like Leanne's house and I personally know people who would buy that one even tho it is really different--a wealthy couple whose kids are out of the house--retired to CA, they collect art--they'd love it.   I liked some aspects of Allison's house--in particular the black stuff over the fireplace and I loved those big windows the way they looked closed--very elegant.   I don't like her much but there was an overall feeling about her home that I liked--maybe because I'm from Chicago and now live on the East Coast?

The homes on Good Bones, are staged in the actual sale ads, but have a lot of the extra furniture, and knick knacks removed.     Personally, I could have lived in Mina's house, or second choice Jasmine's, but Alison and Leanne's would never even be on my list to view them. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7
On 11/17/2019 at 2:42 PM, carrps said:

I know, right?

Well, I, for one, am tired of DIY. I don't mind small doses, but there's no real, true design on HGTV anymore. A lot of wannabes with their amateurish projects...I just get so tired of it.

And you don't have to spend a ton of money if your design ideas and space planning are actually good. On people's recommendations, I watched that show of Jasmine's that was on after the Rock-the-Block finale, and I hated everything she did! Bad space planning, a rolling library ladder for a family with small children???, wrong chairs for a reading nook that didn't fit in the "nook", an office space with an enormous chaise longue smashed in with the impractical "desk" and uncomfortable chair, and don't get me started on that STUPID hole in the counter for slamming your espresso grounds into a drawer?????? How does that save you from having "to walk you grounds over the the trash"? Now you have to walk the container of grounds from the drawer over to the trash, and you'll have to clean grounds off the inside top of the counter inside the drawer. Dumb.

Wow. That felt good to get off my chest. 🙂 So, not impressed.

I think the one truly talented designer left on HGTV is Erin Napier on Hometown, and her husband Ben is a real craftsman. I love what they do almost without exception.

It does mystify me that Sarah Richardson is no longer featured on U.S. HGTV. They did show the Sarah off-the-grid series linked above, but a ridiculous time like 9:00 am on Tuesday or Wednesday mornings. You would think they could eliminate one of the dozens of iterations of House Hunters to give Sarah a prime time slot.

• Love 8
On 10/22/2019 at 10:58 AM, CruiseDiva said:

Alison Victoria was certainly pissed that she didn't win that challenge.

Being dismissive of the other designers, except Leanne Ford, wasn't a good look for her, especially since her show's been shut down due to code violations in Chicago. She's always been a real bitch.

Yeah, Alison seems like a pretty unlikable character to me. Arrogant and cold. And, not that it matters but that hair looks awful on her. The only time it has looked good was when she had it up so you didn't see the wavy lighter colored parts.

• Love 3

This show was successful in getting me to check out the two shows I hadn't seen (I was already a fan of Good Bones, and I watched Alison's show since I'm in Chicago and know the areas and markets she works in, although she usually drives me crazy).  I haven't seen that much of Jasmine's yet (I enjoyed the supplemental episode), but was surprised that I've been really enjoying Leanne's show.  I don't like her obsession with white or share her precise design sense, but the houses she works on are really interesting, and that's something that appeals to me. 

• Love 4
On 11/1/2019 at 1:31 AM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

Holy crap. She did that on purpose?

As I said, her homes are not for people to actually live in. That whole house looked so damn uncomfortable and nonfunctional.

What, you don’t like sitting on a sofa made of sticks and staring at a black smear on canvas? And are you too un cosmopolitan to appreciate some sideswept weeds on your dining room table? 

What a mess. That house was beautiful before, and I’m not the biggest fan of wood and brick. 

Just stopping in to say that I loathe that Chicago woman. Is the “Chicago style” really woodwork painted black and brass hardware? I’m such a rube. I thought it was exposed brick and heavy millwork. I hate her mad eyebrows that she drew on extra mad, and her unstyled hair topper. And yes she is a hag. And I hate brass. 

• LOL 7

The first episode of 100 Day Dream Home premiered on January 1st. I’ve just started watching, but I like the hosts so far. The wife (Mika) has a sultry, scratchy throat. I wonder if she’s a smoker or grew up around a lot of second-hand smoke. 

Edited by topanga
Spelling errors are bad.

Wow, karma really is a bitch! 

Alison and her contractor are being sued for one million dollars! Apparently she and her crew pretty much ruined one of the houses they worked on that was featured on her show. Now the family is filing a lawsuit against them.

https://www.eonline.com/news/1108840/hgtv-s-windy-city-rehab-stars-sued-for-fraud-over-1-million-home

In addition, Donovan, her contractor, is being sued by a sub-contractor for not getting paid. This article talk about both lawsuits:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/1/6/21054099/windy-city-rehab-lawsuit-sub-contractor-donovan-eckhardt-alison-victoria-gramenos-fraud

• LOL 2

four pairs of HGTV’s brightest renovation stars

K, if Erin and Ben are on board, I could be, too. Just because at least one house won't be grey and white (not that there's anything wrong with that, I said, looking around.) And no Allison!

• Love 2

No Erin and Ben.  I highly doubt they would participate in any show that was not being filmed within driving distance from Laurel.

But Alison is back, paired with Mike Holmes.  What an odd partnership.  Shoddy workmanship and "make it right".  His whole show is based on cleaning up after sketchy contractors.

It must have been filmed a while back.  Why HGTV is sticking with Alison despite her legal troubles is beyond me.  I would think they are subject to some liability since the messed up houses were being filmed for one of their series.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, nb360 said:

The episode that aired on March 8: was that new or a re-run??

New. It was the season premiere. I liked Alison’s kitchen and the Florida couple’s kitchen. Both were beautiful and functional—I’d love to have those in my house. But that brick archway put Alison and her partner over the top. The sketch of it actually looked tacky. But the execution was flawless—it looked amazing when it was done. 

The Design Star couple and the Berkus couple had kitchens that looked like something out of a design magazine. Interesting to look at, but not very functional or homey-looking. 

And are pot-fillers out of style now? That’s one of my favorite design features, and no one had one. 

Seems like it’ll be a great season. I like that the designers are in pairs. The banter and conversations are hilarious. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, topanga said:

Seems like it’ll be a great season. I like that the designers are in pairs. The banter and conversations are hilarious. 

I do too. It was funny when Jeremiah was trying tamp down Nate overly competitive edge. Nate would say something so  OTT about winning. and Jeremiah would say quickly follow up with "Nope, nope that's not what that means. That's not what that means at all". LOL!  

Overall though I could do with a little less trash talking.. especially from the design stars. They should just worry about their house... and not what the others are thinking or doing. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Color me surprised to say I was glad Alison and Mike won this week. Didn't like her at all last season, and I think she goes to the same well of design tricks over and over again, but that brickwork was a showstopper, both gorgeous and functional. I do agree with Tarek that carrying over the brickwork to the dining area would've been the icing on the cake, but, all-in-all, well done. Also give them top marks for being most creative in how they used their box of extras.

I think all of the other three kitchens had elements to commend them and they all looked gorgeous. - Shut-up, Tarek, about the green cabinets. I loved them. - But I did agree that Nate and Jeremiah's wasn't the most functional design for most families. I also didn't get the "view is the feature" then covering up the feature with shelves and bric-a-brac, but the Design Stars kitchen was pretty.

I enjoyed the ep, but do think there was too much talk and not enough action. Would've loved to see the drama of the broken slab happening, or the inspiration that led to the melted down mason jar bowl, rather than just hearing about it all after the fact.  Show, don't tell, Rock the Block.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Like 1
  • Love 9
(edited)

I wonder if Mike Holmes talking A.V. out of painting the brick white was real, or just for the show?  

I really liked David and Tiffany's kitchen.   They had so much more seating and dining area than Nate and Jeremiah (I hope I'm not confusing the contestant, and what they did). 

I don't think two dishwashers would add value to a home.   

Ty's voice has always been too loud, and raspy for me.    

I think Nate and Jeremiah's kitchen is designed for people who never cook, and if they have a party or other event, the caterers do the food delivery.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

That was a decent start to this new season (anything new is welcome to me! 🙂 ) but I would also like to see more work and less talk. The view from the Design Stars home was gorgeous so it was really disappointing to see the windows reduced to half their original size and barred with shelves! Why?

Did something happen to Ty Pennington? His voice is really grating, has he been ill?

• Love 3

I'm still a bit confused why they were so adamant that a second dishwasher added to much value to the kitchen.  What am I missing?  It's not like a 10 person family is moving in there.  A single dishwasher should be plenty for 99% of families out there (unless they're hosting 20+ person dinner parties every week) and a second dishwasher just seems like a wasted addition.

3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder if Mike Holmes talking A.V. out of painting the brick white was real, or just for the show? 

I'm sure it was 100% real.  Although, I'm surprised she didn't want to paint it black.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't think two dishwashers would add value to a home. 

Welcome to my life.  We redid our kitchen a few years back and my husband really wanted two dishwashers.  I did not want to lose the cupboard space.  99% of the time it is just fine, but every year at Christmas when all the kids are home and there are lots of dishes he says "You know what would be great?  Two dishwashers!"  He's got my daughter saying it too. 🙄😄

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

Coming from a small family (4 of us) and now living with just one other person, I have no idea what I would do with a second dishwasher.  A second oven on the other hand...

I surprisingly didn't mind Alison, but we'll see as the show goes on.  She and Mike will be an interesting pair.  I've seen a lot of his shows and got the impression that he was just barely keeping his huge ego from coming out.  The clash of the two egos will hopefully make for good tv.

• Like 1
  • Love 8

A single pair couldn't make a non open concept kitchen??! Really?! 

With a blessed wall or two I'd give either Nate and Jeremiah or Tiffany and David the prize, easily. The other two kitchens looked like typical flipped ones. Nothing all that original. 

• Love 1

I would watch this season but I saw a clip and David Bromstad was shown & I can’t look at him anymore. Was he a one off or is he on every week? It will impact my decision if he’s on it or not. 

1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

I would watch this season but I saw a clip and David Bromstad was shown & I can’t look at him anymore. Was he a one off or is he on every week? It will impact my decision if he’s on it or not. 

He's on it. There are 4 "couples" (or pairs) of design stars competing for the win. David is paired with Tiffany, who is also a Design Star winner.

I liked all of the kitchens.  I loved David and Tiffany's backsplash, Nate and Jeramiah's island and the Florida couple's pantry.  I shocked myself by liking Mike and Allison's kitchen the most because I'm not a fan of either of them.  I loved the brick and I'm glad they didn't paint it white.  I think the reason I liked theirs is because they didn't do the open shelving.  I absolutely HATE open shelving.  I see that HGTV is now pitching that on all of their design shows like the way they started all the other crap, white shaker cabinets, open concept, etc.  I hope it doesn't catch on.  They could have did something with the dining room wall though.

• Love 9

I agree about the open shelving...maybe two 24 inch shelves to put a couple of platters on, but all my dishes out all the time?  No thanks.  I'll join the chorus to say how much I liked Allison and Mike's kitchen.  And I loved the green cabinets, I'm sick to death of white.

• Love 6

Allison paints stuff, so good for Mike. A hilarious pairing! Mike make-it-right and Allison, the Windy City train wreck. 

I like Nate and Jeremiah, but their open shelving was a no-go. Perhaps they’ll win the living room? They design nice living rooms.

• Love 3
On 3/9/2021 at 3:46 PM, Shelbie said:

Not a fan of the brick or Alison. 
I loved the walk-in pantry. Thought that was an excellent design.

Me neither.  Looked like an old fashion pizza oven that belonged in a pizza shop and very dated.  It was my least favorite kitchen.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, ByaNose said:

Every week,  he is one of the competitors on the team with Tiffany.

2 hours ago, buttersister said:

Allison paints stuff, so good for Mike. A hilarious pairing! Mike make-it-right and Allison, the Windy City train wreck. 

I like Nate and Jeremiah, but their open shelving was a no-go. Perhaps they’ll win the living room? They design nice living rooms.

Their shelving was bad.  It also was shelves that sat on the counters so you couldn't really use that space either and the gold and glass looked cheap to me.

• Love 6
On 3/9/2021 at 3:26 AM, topanga said:

New. It was the season premiere. I liked Alison’s kitchen and the Florida couple’s kitchen. Both were beautiful and functional—I’d love to have those in my house. But that brick archway put Alison and her partner over the top. The sketch of it actually looked tacky. But the execution was flawless—it looked amazing when it was done. 

The Design Star couple and the Berkus couple had kitchens that looked like something out of a design magazine. Interesting to look at, but not very functional or homey-looking. 

And are pot-fillers out of style now? That’s one of my favorite design features, and no one had one. 

Brian and Mika's kitchen seemed the most functional for an average family.  I hated the brick monstrosity.  It looked like a pizza oven and very dated.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, justdoit10 said:

I hated the brick monstrosity.  It looked like a pizza oven and very dated.  

My thoughts exactly! When I saw it I had a "cheap 80s Italian restaurant" vibe.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I can’t even imagine cleaning all that brick around the stove.  It didn’t seem designed for a real family to cook in but a kitchen to wow your friends with while you order takeout.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
19 hours ago, Shelbie said:

I can’t even imagine cleaning all that brick around the stove.  It didn’t seem designed for a real family to cook in but a kitchen to wow your friends with while you order takeout.

I had a similar brick design around my cooktop for years and never had an issue cleaning it. A good (exterior vent) hood also helps.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I loved the green cabinets. Totally agreed with Tarek though about the open shelves. Loved Mike telling Alison not to paint the bricks! Haven’t we all shouted at the TV ”Don’t paint that, bitch!” while watching WCR? 😆

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7

I really enjoyed the episode, but I hated Nate and Jeremiah’s countertops with the corner cut-outs. I seem to remember on their own show, they did a different “creative” countertop, but that time the edges were cut so the design was outward.  I remember thinking how impractical it was because I’d likely jam my hip into it several times before remembering it was there.

I like the pair a lot, but think they design for magazines and not real families. 

• Love 13
6 hours ago, LoveIsJoy said:

but I hated Nate and Jeremiah’s countertops with the corner cut-outs. I seem to remember on their own show, they did a different “creative” countertop, but that time the edges were cut so the design was outward.  I remember thinking how impractical it was because I’d likely jam my hip into it several times before remembering it was there.

Oh my goodness, yes!! I thought it looked nice, but all I could think about every time they showed them was how much much it would hurt to catch one (or both!) of those edges with my hip. I have enough problems with normal corners. 

• Love 4

They are all so ANIMATED.ALL.THE.TIME. Annoying as hell. And the host's blonde side piece bouncing around in her ponytail emitting worthless commentary. Ugh.

David Bromstad was shown & I can’t look at him anymore.

If he has to contribute something intelligent he is completely lost. His 15 minutes are long expired.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 3/9/2021 at 11:10 PM, Grrarrggh said:

A single pair couldn't make a non open concept kitchen??! Really?! 

With a blessed wall or two I'd give either Nate and Jeremiah or Tiffany and David the prize, easily. The other two kitchens looked like typical flipped ones. Nothing all that original. 

Same.  I am not big on a whole open concept.  I like some kind of wall division.  I live in a craftsman house and the entrances were widened but there are still some wall to define the spaces and I like it that way.

• Love 10

Catching the rerun. Some thoughts:

Ty's hyperactive, shouty delivery worked better when he was 15 years younger and was moving that bus. Now...nah, man. David is a bit over the top but he is younger so it still works-ish. I like the tudor best but I grew up in a neighborhood with tudor houses. Mika's house was the "house of many sidings". Mike's house exterior was snoozy. I like an all brick house and they are doing brick 360, right? Because full brick front with siding everywhere else is stinky. (and the horn for the brick deliver was so dumb. "Don't look at the product placement we just blasted the horn to get your attention about..."

HGTV built these houses just for the show, right? Why did they bother to put in the cabinets and ponywalls and whatnot if they knew/suspected it was going to be yanked out? At least they weren't breaking the cabinets and they could probably be reused.

Did they ever show a floor plan?

Is Tarek's new gf a clone of Christina? Man clearly has a "type". In the previews I thought it was Christina until she talked--same bleach hair, same fake eyelashes, same yogawear.

The show is a little funny in how it shows the one room at a time but you know they had to have been given some time to examine the house and come up with an overall floor/design plan.

In five years, we'll all be redoing our kitchens because our islands don't have corner cutouts...er, probably not. Nate and Jeremiah should have painted the chickenwire another color. Even brown to go with the leather. It would have added just a bit more. David and Tiffany's window shelves on the other hand were one thing too many, as was the gold on the mason jar bowl--edit people!

(my friend has 2 dishwashers (well 3) in her kitchen: 2 of the drawer ones next to the sink that she uses every day and then the one that came with the house moved to the island for party dishes when she has a non-pandemic party. But she finds it fun to give 8 course meals to her friends so...the extra dishwasher makes some sense)

• Love 3

I wasn't planning to watch this but fell asleep, woke up, and presto!  It was on.  Kind of enjoyed it.  I liked the kitchen with the view best despite the annoying shelves and bric a brac.  Those are easily removed.  In my opinion it is a crime to fail to take advantage of a beautiful view from your kitchen window.  I have a beautiful view across my neighborhood from my kitchen and I have spent many hours dreamily staring out the windows at snow showers, spring flowers, and summer sunshine while I cook or do dishes.

Hated the brick pizza oven and the open shelves.

Why did David Bromstad tattoo all those hideous things on his neck?  Neck tattoos are the worst.  He and Michael Voltaggio, both good looking guys at one time, have made themselves gross and ugly.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, susannot said:

I wasn't planning to watch this but fell asleep, woke up, and presto!  It was on.  Kind of enjoyed it.  I liked the kitchen with the view best despite the annoying shelves and bric a brac.  Those are easily removed.  In my opinion it is a crime to fail to take advantage of a beautiful view from your kitchen window.  I have a beautiful view across my neighborhood from my kitchen and I have spent many hours dreamily staring out the windows at snow showers, spring flowers, and summer sunshine while I cook or do dishes.

Hated the brick pizza oven and the open shelves.

Why did David Bromstad tattoo all those hideous things on his neck?  Neck tattoos are the worst.  He and Michael Voltaggio, both good looking guys at one time, have made themselves gross and ugly.

That’s the reason I’m not watching this year. David and his (extreme) tattoos. I admit it. I’m a snob. Well, I admit it here where no one knows me. I wouldn’t actually admit it in real life. LOL!!!!! That said, I wasn’t too crazy with the show last year so I don’t think I’m missing too much. I think I’m pretty much down to just HH. I used to watch several shows on HGTV but nothing appeals to me. My last not miss show was Fixer Upper which Chip sort of ruined for me towards the end. I tend to watch home and decor shows on YouTube. I don’t know how these nameless influencers hooked me but they did. LOL!!!!

I think David looks fine, but obviously tattoos aren't for everyone. Not a huge fan of face or neck tattoos, but his doesn't bother me.

I started watching this by accident (pretty much same reason as the post above me), and I stayed because I liked the concept, I enjoy Ty, and I didn't know Brian from TAR15 was an HGTV host and was part of this! I liked his and Mika's kitchen the best, followed by David and Tiffany. Allison and Mike's was my least favorite and I couldn't believe it won. Aside from the pizza oven resemblance that others have pointed out, it just seemed so monotone. I don't really mind a monotone color palette, but I HATE that light brown travertine tile-color that seemed to have thrown up all over that kitchen. I almost wish they had painted the brick white.

I'll keep watching because I love design competition shows, and HGTV screwed me out of seeing the rest of Design Star.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, susannot said:

I can’t watch Pit Bulls and Parolees because of those women (the main women’s daughters, I think) covered in tattoos, particularly on the neck and chest. I can’t stand men or women covered in tattoos.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 5

I despise open shelving.  I just can’t imagine having all of our dishes, glassware, etc. sitting out on an open shelf for the world to see while getting dusty if not used frequently.  They are so impractical.

I’ll never understand why the woman (don’t know everyone’s name yet) was making a point of saying the views were outstanding and should be appreciated after having covered up half the view with shelves and plants.

I, too, hated the 80s pizza oven.  Can’t believe it was the winning kitchen design.  

What has happened to Ty?  Eeeeeek....

Edited by tinderbox
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, Giuseppe said:

I think David looks fine, but obviously tattoos aren't for everyone. Not a huge fan of face or neck tattoos, but his doesn't bother me.

I started watching this by accident (pretty much same reason as the post above me), and I stayed because I liked the concept, I enjoy Ty, and I didn't know Brian from TAR15 was an HGTV host and was part of this! I liked his and Mika's kitchen the best, followed by David and Tiffany. Allison and Mike's was my least favorite and I couldn't believe it won. Aside from the pizza oven resemblance that others have pointed out, it just seemed so monotone. I don't really mind a monotone color palette, but I HATE that light brown travertine tile-color that seemed to have thrown up all over that kitchen. I almost wish they had painted the brick white.

I'll keep watching because I love design competition shows, and HGTV screwed me out of seeing the rest of Design Star.

I forgot I watched Design Star last week and enjoyed it. It’s too bad HGTV did the bait & switch. I would loved to have seen the conclusion but I’m streamed out at the moment. 

• Love 1