Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Rage

ESS
  • Start Topic

50 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Red-headed cop will always be Eddie from “The Kids Are Alright” to me and it’s so hard to take him seriously.  RIP to that fabulous show.

Thanks for this. I recognized him, but I've been racking my brain to ID him.  And yes, that was a good show.

• Love 2

This episode just left me feeling sad. Usually the rescues make me smile even if the character stuff doesn't but everything in this ep left me sad or pissed off:

The lawsuit stuff with Buck mad my teeth itch. Especially since he was suing for wrongful termination when he hadn't been terminated.

The duck rescuers and the owner of the farm were all assholes so I had no one to root for.

Ronda Rousey is trying her best but it's not working. Why does this character exist?

The police storyline has a lot to unpack and I just can't right now.

• Love 1

You know, I wasn't really minding the Ronda Rousey character too much at first but the more lines and screen time they give her, the worse she comes off.  I hope her guest star stint ends sooner rather than later.  

Eddie having sudden rage issues?  I'm not buying it.  Sweet Christopher would not approve of his father beating up people even if they're dumb enough to consent to it. 

While I didn't want the Buck lawsuit plot to drag out all season, I did want to see him face some more repercussions from his friends over his decision to sue and, more importantly, spilling their personal business to his lawyer so it could be used against them.  I liked Eddie confronting him at the store and wanted to see that play out but instead it all got interrupted by the two idiots fighting in the parking lot.  Hopefully the rest of the 118 will slap Buck with some more reality in coming episodes.  

The traffic stop with Michael and the kids was super tense.  I was holding my breath when Harry popped up in the backseat.  Athena did a much better job of keeping her cool when doling out some payback to the veteran cop than I would have.  Hopefully the rookie cop will take her "do better" advice to heart.  It's heartbreaking that talks like the one Michael had with Harry have to happen at all, but they do.  

• Love 5

Angela Bassett and Peter Krause have no chemistry but I blame him. He's about as sexy as a wet noodle. I've only ever seen him in Parenthood and The Catch, and he was about as bland, boring, and vanilla as anyone could possibly be, and he really isn't any different in 9-1-1. I've heard rumblings that he was actually appealing in earlier shows, but I didn't see those. Something must have happened between Dirty Sexy Money and Parenthood, because his sex appeal is at a solid 0 for me on a scale of 1 to 10. 

Angela Bassett, OTOH, I expect could generate chemistry with almost anyone. (Except Peter Krause, apparently).  They're a good team but they seem more like friends and co-parents than a married couple in love.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 7

I find "chemistry" to be entirely subjective so I'll refrain from passing any judgment. I like both actors, although I must admit that Angela Bassett seems to play the same type of character in everything I've seen her in lately.

Buck's lawsuit was destined to go away quickly. Weird he didn't tell his lawyer from the start he just wanted his job back.

As I recall the lawyer was clear that the station wasn't exactly going to welcome him back with open arms and it seemed to go in one ear and out the other. This whole plot line just made Buck look really, really dumb.

Ronda wasn’t half bad this week.  I mean, the bar is lower than the ground, but still.

I think that's what's called "damning with faint praise." She's able  to recite her lines all right, but I just don't find her very charismatic. She's just sort of "there." 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I think that's what's called "damning with faint praise." She's able  to recite her lines all right, but I just don't find her very charismatic. She's just sort of "there." 

You could see the difference in her 'acting' when it came to fight club scene - clearly, she was enthusiastic about it, and it came through in her performance. I think she's not the worst stunt casting I've ever seen, but she is definitely limited in what she can do. But you know, The Rock started out somewhere, too. 🙂

1 hour ago, Jillybean said:

Angela Bassett and Peter Krause have no chemistry but I blame him. He's about as sexy as a wet noodle. I've only ever seen him in Parenthood and The Catch, and he was about as bland, boring, and vanilla as anyone could possibly be, and he really isn't any different in 9-1-1. I've heard rumblings that he was actually appealing in earlier shows, but I didn't see those. Something must have happened between Dirty Sexy Money and Parenthood, because his sex appeal is at a solid 0 for me on a scale of 1 to 10. 

Angela Bassett, OTOH, I expect could generate chemistry with almost anyone. (Except Peter Krause, apparently).  They're a good team but they seem more like friends and co-parents than a married couple in love.

Good gravy, he was a terrible miscast in The Catch. He really, really was.  He was so not the sexy grifter, man of mystery that show needed.  LOL.  That role needed a Josh Holloway... someone who could smolder. 

That said, I like Bobby and Athena as a couple.  No they don;t scream sexy or heat, but they do seem like an old married couple.  Like they've been married more like 10 -15 years instead of being newlyweds.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Jillybean said:

I saw him on 6 Feet Under, where he had lots of sex, and sad to say, I had the same opinion even then. It was probably an unpopular opinion. (then again, I thought Redford was similarly bland back in the day - taste varies considerably)

• Love 3

I agree Peter Krause is bland and boring as hell, but I think Angela Bassett has always come across as rather stiff and lifeless.  I don't care where she studied drama.

If we're talking chemistry, it would have been a lot more interesting if Bobby and Michael had hooked up. 

• Love 4

Some actors just can't do sexy, others can't do comedy, some can't do rage, all depends on the actor and who they are acting with (you need a feedback loop).

When I think of well know actors who can't act I think of John Wayne, others just play the same character when they age even if they have a much larger range (Jack Nicholson).

• Love 1
5 hours ago, DearEvette said:

That said, I like Bobby and Athena as a couple.  No they don;t scream sexy or heat, but they do seem like an old married couple.  Like they've been married more like 10 -15 years instead of being newlyweds

I like them too. I think the show plays into their strengths in that their story has never been about tons of UST or lust and therefore the actors don't need to have tons of heat between them.  Maybe they would if the show focused on that more.  Or maybe it would come off as extremely awkward which is probably why it's good that isn't the focus.

But I do think they have a good, relaxed and stable vibe to them that works.

• Love 8

While none of these actors have given what I'd call Emmy worthy performances, I do think that Buck has upped his game this season.

Also, I've liked Hen/Aisha Hinds ever since I first saw her on Detroit 187. I'm still pissed that show was cancelled after only one season.  Grrrr. 😠

• Love 4
12 hours ago, UnknownK said:

Some actors just can't do sexy, others can't do comedy, some can't do rage, all depends on the actor and who they are acting with (you need a feedback loop).

When I think of well know actors who can't act I think of John Wayne, others just play the same character when they age even if they have a much larger range (Jack Nicholson).

To be fair, what when we think actors can't act - it's more that they don't have much range. It actually takes some acting skill to say your lines naturally.

People who can't act, or are bad at acting, can't even manage that. We have an example of that on the show right now.

It's just like singing. Some people are spectacular and can sing anything, some are great in a specific type of music but fall flat in others, some can hit the notes and not be offensive, and others will make your ears bleed. And everyone will have a different opinion as to where a singer falls on that scale.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The Rock has a lot of personality, though. Ronda Rousey? Not so much. Very bland.

Well the Rock became a star as an entertainer playing a character that was at times good and evil. Rousey became a star as a prize fighter. Of course they had to get her in a fight eventually, that is the value they add. But that sketchy fight club grounding and pounding a head into the pavement of guy who was  to big for Eddie was with the over the top. But then everything on the show is over the top. We will see if Texas is any different than LA.

On 10/22/2019 at 1:27 PM, Clanstarling said:

My memory is a little vague on this point, but I think he did. I think the lawyer was seeing $$$ - which is what he's in it for in any case.

Rousey, on the other hand, bless her heart, can't even say her lines well.

I think he wanted to roll Buck into some kind of class action suit. Just by seeing the worst of the City Attorney's office that makes the local political news the LA would settle seems about the second most real point of this episode.

• Love 1
On 10/23/2019 at 1:57 PM, gonzosgirrl said:

I think she's not the worst stunt casting I've ever seen, but she is definitely limited in what she can do.

Uh... I think I just witnessed even worse.  There is a new series on Netflix starring Paul Rudd called 'Living With Yourself.'  Tom Brady is cast as himself in a very small cameo and, no lie he has exactly three words  And it was just so awkward.  Not only the nudge-nudge wink-wink reference (he is coming out a supposedly sketchy spa) but just the line delivery and his body language.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I'm so disappointed in the last two episodes:

• I do not like Buck's storyline.
  • I do not like Maddie's storyline.
  • I do not like Eddie's storyline.
  • And I just don't like Ronda/ Lena?
Edited by Fireball
spelling
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
12 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Uh... I think I just witnessed even worse.  There is a new series on Netflix starring Paul Rudd called 'Living With Yourself.'  Tom Brady is cast as himself in a very small cameo and, no lie he has exactly three words  And it was just so awkward.  Not only the nudge-nudge wink-wink reference (he is coming out a supposedly sketchy spa) but just the line delivery and his body language.

What I found most amusing about that was that I didn't even recognize him - so it was a stunt casting fail. I just saw "generic good looking guy."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Tom Brady is cast as himself in a very small cameo and, no lie he has exactly three words  And it was just so awkward.  

That's different, that was just a cameo for comic affect. Rousey is playing a recurring character here. Clearly she's meant to be a love interest for one of the series regulars. I would have been fine with a cameo. She's just not good enough or compelling enough to be a regular.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

My thing with Eddie and the parking space would have been "I have a sticker or pass, the rest is none of your business".

The talk with Michael and Henry was fantastic and sad...and it seems that things never really change...

This show is good with the action but the personal drama is really distracting lately. I just watch for the rescues and the reparte between everyone...

Having people be pissed off at everybody for everything kinda ruins my enjoyment of the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

What I found most amusing about that was that I didn't even recognize him - so it was a stunt casting fail. I just saw "generic good looking guy."

I thought the casting of Jennifer Love Hewitt was stunt casting but then I realized they were off by one letter.

Never mind.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I thought the casting of Jennifer Love Hewitt was stunt casting but then I realized they were off by one letter.

Never mind.

imo she's worse than Ronda. I'm ok with Hewitt when they use her for Buck's storyline or Chimney's but she really shouldn't get her own storylines because she doesn't have any skills and she's taking away screentime from the talented actors of the show. Her storyline last year was interesting. Not because of her acting, the writing was great. Now it would be a great time for her to back down and let the other actors and their characters shine.

Ronda does her job and she really doesn't get much screentime /episode. She mostly just says her lines and sometimes gets to do something she's good at [stunts, fighting]. She also seems like a likable person. 

Edited by DisplayyName

Roussey cannot act and it's pretty distracting.

I do not like fighting Eddie.  Where on earth did that come from?

Wouldn't Eddie have a placard to use the parking spot given that he's had a child with CP for 8-9 years?  There would be no need to defend himself for stopping in a spot reserved for disabled.  Sloppy writing.  

The bad cop issue was handled pretty well by the show and the acting was superb.  In spite of its occasional flaws, I really like this show.

Edited by limecoke
Misuse of apostrophe.
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, limecoke said:

Wouldn't Eddie have a placard to use the parking spot given that he's had a child with CP for 8-9 years?  There would be no need to defend himself for stopping in a spot reserved for disabled.  Sloppy writing.  

Even if he has a hang tag or a license plate, he is only supposed to use it when the person for whom it was issued is in the car.  Now, of course, we know that he did have Christopher until just a minute before the confrontation.  But aside from fake ones (which are out there) there is an issue with people who use grandma's tag just to get a close spot, or something like that, when the person who actually needs the tag isn't with them.  Eddie tried to explain to the guy, but the knee surgery guy wouldn't listen and already had his mind made up.

• Love 1
On 10/23/2019 at 12:51 PM, iMonrey said:

As I recall the lawyer was clear that the station wasn't exactly going to welcome him back with open arms and it seemed to go in one ear and out the other. This whole plot line just made Buck look really, really dumb.

And extremely unlikeable.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, limecoke said:

I do not like fighting Eddie. 

The storyline might be ok IF the writers had built up to it, but nope out of the blue Eddie is mad and beating someone up and doing street fights.

17 hours ago, limecoke said:

Where on earth did that come from?

It came from the stupid writers wanting to show off Ronda's fighting skills and thinking it'll show that Eddie and her have something in common, so it'll make sense that they are hanging out. Such a dumb storyline. 

Actually I think part of reason the show had Buck not be 100% recovered was so he wouldn't be around and Eddie would turn to Ronda for advice/friendship. I mean last episode it was Ronda's advice that got through to Christopher; not the advice of the medical licensed psychologist. 🙄 

Ugh so not interested in watching Eddie and the flight story and Eddie & Ronda become more then friends. 

Edited by Fireball
  • Love 3

Heh, I noticed the TP (it's my brand!). 

The fight scenes annoy me after paying for 2 kids going through months of braces. Arrrgh! $$$$

It took me a few minutes to recognize Eddie from The Kids Are Alright. (Young bad cop) sniff

The product placement ads are noticable to me, because they annoy me.  It isn't enough that a 60 minute program has been reduced to something around 44 minutes after ads (seems like less), we have to now inject them into the 44 minutes too.

We ain't nuthin' if we ain't being sold something.

1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

The product placement ads are noticable to me, because they annoy me.  It isn't enough that a 60 minute program has been reduced to something around 44 minutes after ads (seems like less), we have to now inject them into the 44 minutes too.

We ain't nuthin' if we ain't being sold something.

I do find them annoying as well, but over the years I seem to have developed blinders for most product placement. Which makes it a lot better for me.

• Love 2

This episode annoyed me on so many levels. This entire story for Buck suing the department, and then being such a dumbass that he didn't' realize all the personal things he told his lawyer would be used against his "friends" is so asinine - even for Buck. I couldn't agree more with other posters that the writers have taken him 50 steps backwards, making him look like a massive tool and complete doofus. For me, there is no redemption for him. 

And COME ON. We're supposed to believe the city of LA would settle for "millions" on such a trivial charge such as wrongful termination? For someone who wasn't terminated? Millions of dollars would be reserved for a wrongful death. Sexual harassment. Something major - but this? Seriously?

And Eddie joining fight club? WTH? That came out of left field so far he wasn't even ON a field. 

The MMA fighter lady is such a bad actress. Even standing there emoting and not speaking she looks out of place and awkward. 

I was super interested in Michael's story. It was uncomfortably riveting and sad. I'm glad they went there. 

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I like Athena and Bobby together. Not every single relationship is based on off the charts chemistry and sex! Sex! Sex! I find it refreshing to see a normal couple who have a relationship built on friendship and trust. Plus, I love both actors, so I'm good with it. 

Bonus points for only a few seconds of Jennifer Love Hewitt on screen. That story is another one that I'm not enjoying at all. 

• Love 3
On 10/21/2019 at 9:12 PM, Lady Calypso said:

To start off with the WTF stuff, there has been NO signs of Eddie have ANY sort of rage issues. No signs that Eddie will suddenly go punch out people. Even if it's somewhat related to the tsunami stuff (which...is still a stretch) and even if it's related to Shannon's death, it's still completely out of character for Eddie. So yeah, of course I fully believe it's ONLY because of Ronda Rousey and needing to show off the actual stuff that she's good at (fighting stuff). 

I feel like this is a reaction to season 2 Eddie, who seemed like a saint. Now they're trying to veer the other way around. Hopefully this doesn't end with Eddie stalking a sexy English teacher.

The young redheaded cop played Eddie on the lamented The Kids Are Alright sitcom, and man it made me feel sad that the show is gone. I really hope he books a regular series gig soon.

Edited by methodwriter85
On 10/23/2019 at 1:30 PM, Jillybean said:

How nice to see I’m not the only one that feels that way about Peter Krause.  Didn’t like him in Parenthood nor in this. And him with Angela Bassett?!  No way in hell.