Type keyword(s) to search

The Music Videos Topic: Remember Those?

canaanite2
  • Start Topic

"Rock DJ" by Robbie Williams

I really wish he'd been talked out of doing the video the way he did it. Honestly, this song might have been a hit in America if this had been something they actually could have put on TRL.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

Whatever criticism her songs got in the past for being anti-feminist, I don't think this song will. A feminist anthem all the way. The video's a little weird, but I'll take it. (And yes, I love Meghan Trainor. Deal with it. :P)

I wonder how people will react to these videos. They are sort of scary if you are Christian. They have received pretty much zero radio time in the US due to their theme. But Colbert last Halloween had them on for their first and so far only tv appearance. Thirty no even twenty years ago they would likely have been banned in the US due to the theme of their lyrics.

This video is setup like a tv appearance on the old Ed Sullivan tv show.

https://youtu.be/vyQZ13jobIY

This is one is based off an old 1920s famous movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A-IoOEPbUs

I will be providing two versions of the next video since despite one being censored it still has black bars so I have a studio rendition of it.

Live studio version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPCdOtOxdyM

censored with black bars version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkBt7yLXyDk

Edited by nobodyyoucare

This isn't about a specific video, but I just turned on Fuse for some background noise. Like MTV, they show videos in segments. Hits, Redeye, Sexiest, etc. The segment that is playing now is called "Dope $hit". I don't know why I'm shocked, but I am.

I'm a long time fan of the Alan Parsons Project and have always thought this was one of the greatest videos ever (it's from 1984 for those keeping score.)  Still sad that their wonderful vocalist, Eric Woolfson, died a number of years ago.

• Love 1

There's a silly show on called Angie Tribeca - think a Law & Order spoof along the lines of Airplane!

Angie's partner is Det. J Geils and Alan Parsons was someone referred to but not shown. 

1 hour ago, forumfish said:

I am officially old -- MTV turned 35 today, and I was a freshman in high school when it went on the air.

I was 8 (but turned 9 the following month!). In honor of MTV Classic re-airing some of Early MTV today, I am posting this, a video played often enough during MTV's infancy. I'm sorry to make everyone else suffer, but at least I can share the insanity! Enjoy!

Edited for the ACTUAL video played on MTV:

• Love 2

"Fish Heads"! You know Barnes & Barnes also produced an album for Crispin Glover, right? Included the song "Clowny, Clown, Clown":

Yeah, MTV used to have some wonderfully odd and cheap videos. Remember "Dog Police"? I seem to recall these guys were the winners of a "best unsigned band video" contest on MTV, or something.

And Blotto's "Metal Head"? MTV supposedly played it during their first day of broadcast.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

"Fish Heads"! You know Barnes & Barnes also produced an album for Crispin Glover, right? Included the song "Clowny, Clown, Clown":

No, no, I didn't. But thanks for the video. It's...definitely them.  :-P  And Crispin Glover is an odd guy, so it sort of worked for him.

Speaking of being old, I'm watching MTV Classic videos right now, and it's been a good run! We've gotten Numb from Lincoln Park, Sure Shot from the Beastie Boys (a personal favorite), Armageddon It from Def Leopard, and Venus(!)

Here's where the old part come in. Back in the day, I never really thought the members of Bananarama were all that. I'd rather watch Susanna Hoffs making eyes at the camera or Tawny Kitaen rolling around on the hood of Whitesnake's car. But now that I'm more mature (but still hanging on to a little piece of my inner 15 year-old like all men), I've decided that the Bananarama girls deserved more of my attention.  Heh. 

I'm looking for a music video I only barely remember. Probably from the late 80s. It features a man turning into a vampire, and a vampire turning into a normal man. Does that sound familiar? For some reason, I thought it was the Pet Shop Boys - You are Always on my Mind, but that doesn't seem to be it.

On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 5:41 AM, Joe said:

I'm looking for a music video I only barely remember. Probably from the late 80s. It features a man turning into a vampire, and a vampire turning into a normal man. Does that sound familiar? For some reason, I thought it was the Pet Shop Boys - You are Always on my Mind, but that doesn't seem to be it.

Doesn't sound familiar. Maybe it's one of these videos?

2 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Doesn't sound familiar. Maybe it's one of these videos?

Thanks, I've bookmarked it and will work my way through. But the current contender is Pet Shop Boys - Heart. Maybe I misremembered a few details. 30 years will do that to you. :)

10 minutes ago, BatmanBeatles said:

Why is the little girl hiding her face? I thought only Sia did that.

No, sometimes other people in her videos do it too. In this video for Cheap Thrills (which is sooo much better than the one with the 3 kids dancing), both the dancers have their faces covered in addition to the wigs

• Love 1

If anyone is looking for a music channel that plays music videos for current music, & isn't aimed at the pre-teen set, I have discovered that even though MTV Classic plays mostly old videos, they also play videos for current music called Epic.Awesome.Videos. I live on the West coast, & they play a few hours at around 3:00 AM & PM. I've been recording random hours, & when I want to watch videos, or just have them on as background noise, I just put one on. It's been working out pretty well. Also, TRL is coming back this Monday, so maybe they're moving back into being an actual current music video station.

1 hour ago, GaT said:

Also, TRL is coming back this Monday, so maybe they're moving back into being an actual current music video station.

Hope springs eternal!

To show what a fossil I am, I recall the precursor to TRL, which, in the mid to late '80s, was called Dial MTV. Adam Curry, with the poofy hair metal 'do, hosted it. At that time, many of the requested videos were from more than one genre, pop, hair metal, early rap, etc.

• Love 1
On 8/3/2015 at 0:06 AM, Dandesun said:

This is ridiculous and magical all at once. It's downright primitive, really. First, Mick in his early 80's 'fashion.' Yes, it was real. Peter Tosh is sitting on the stoop for some reason but hey, why not? Keith, fairly freshly heroin free but clearly not having given up anything else, just rolls down the street with his hair and his cigarette and his scarf and clothes he's probably been wearing for a few days... Some might say he's drunk but I'd say, at that point, that's just how he was. He's still pretty much that way.

I love that they go into this little dive bar and it's all cramped and whatever. That is so clearly real drinks they've got. I love how Keith gets his beer and just stares into the camera for a few beats before having a drink and then saying hello to Ronnie. Ronnie's hair... wow. What's really kind of weird to think about they're all in their late 30s and into their 40s here.

Pearl Jam actually covered this song and, IMO, did a pretty decent job of it.

Did anybody else watch the new TRL (total request live) on MTV? I watched the first show & that was enough. First, there were no videos & as far as I can tell, nobody requested anything. There were some live acts, but most of the show seemed to consist of the hosts yelling. If there aren't going to be videos, why are they calling it TRL?

Did anybody else watch the new TRL (total request live) on MTV? I watched the first show & that was enough. First, there were no videos & as far as I can tell, nobody requested anything.

Not surprising coming from a channel whose abbreviations stand for Music Television but plays no music.

• Love 2

Not super current, but i love the Troye Sivan's Blue Neighborhood trilogy, which is 3 videos for the songs Wild, Fools, and Talk Me Down which form a short film of sorts. The ending is a bit ambiguous with it possibly being 

Spoiler

Troye's or his love interest's homophobic father's funeral. 

On 18/04/2018 at 7:53 AM, littlewonder said:

I'm super into Silverchair (yes, still!)  and this video is so pretty.  The colours, the clothes, Daniel's hair.  Swoon.

A couple of girls asked me if I was Daniel Johns once, at a festival where Silverchair no-showed. Frankly, I think I'm a lot better looking than him these days.

7 hours ago, Joe said:

So. Controversial question. Is this blackface? That was my first thought, and I feel uncomfortable watching the video. The comments on the video go back and forth. Maria Franz is Norweigan. I thought I should ask some actual black PTVers.

I'm not black, so I'm certainly not speaking for anyone who is, but in my white girl opinion, they may have just crossed the line with this. If it was just the lighting (I don't think they have actual dark makeup on), it might have been OK, but she's got her hair in dreadlocks, which really shows up when the lighting is dark & gives the illusion of a black woman. I think the thing that really pushes it over the edge though is the lyric "You'll be my master, I'll be your slave", not a whole lot of ambiguity with that.

OK, this may be an UO but I actually liked the music video of Falco performing 'Rock Me Amadeus"? Why? Yes, I know that the premise of him and Mozart getting swapped in some time warp deal and having EACH OTHER'S fanbase embrace the other before the two groups meet was quite preposterous (and the late Falco thinking himself on par with Mozart more than a bit presumptuous) .However; what I liked about it was that it showed JUST how much the  18th century Viennese aristocracy LOVED good music that they elevated composers to near deities . Yes, and the irony is that Mozart STILL is revered in that city far more than that late 20th century performer (although one may wonder how many diehard Falco fans rock to Amadeus). Oh, and Vienna still loves music a great deal! 

• Love 5
On 4/11/2019 at 5:08 PM, cpcathy said:

Is THAT what was going on in that video??

Either that- or  Falco and his twin got their invites wrong re which of two very different  costume parties they were supposed to attend but wowed each crowd anyway before both crowds merged. Take your pick! 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, GaT said:

I just saw this video for the first time, I'm sitting here crying. 

Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved

Yeah. I think some dust got in my eye too.

Sam Smith’s latest video. Something about seeing Sam being his sweet gay self is endearing. It’s like he wanted to show he can serve looks — in heels — and that he has rhythm. 

Can someone help me find a music video? I don’t know the name or band, obviously, but I do know that the last clip(s) show a tight shot on a man running. Like, you know he’s running because the background has that fuzzy look that denotes movement. It looked kind of futuristic.

He’s a white dude, uh, handsome-ish face I guess. Maybe a goatee? Short cut? The band I think has been around awhile. Like, this was a music video from a band that had been around for a long time. Also, I saw this on VH1 years ago. So it must have been a fairly popular song. So I guess alternative rock or indie pop.

MTV has a video with Wyclef Jean for MTV Unplugged at Home. I am sick of it, but more importantly, his eyes are freaking me out. I don't understand why they look that way.

(edited)

I don't know how long they've been doing this, but the TeenNick channel has been showing random 90s music videos during the Nick Rewind programming block. They're under the same corporate umbrella that owns MTV, so I guess that checks out. I caught MVs by LFO and Usher (like, his first MV).

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

New Frozen Crown video. Is it just me, or is the white guitar bigger than the average? The guitarist looks normal height standing next to the other guitarist, but somehow in closeup things just look off.