Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Martial Feats of Comanche Horsemanship

"Martial Feats of Comanche Horsemanship".

As Angela relives haunting memories of an attack on her family, she detains a mysterious man who claims responsibility for Tulsa's most recent murder. Elsewhere, an original play is performed for an audience of one.

I finally caught this ep. I didn't find this one as interesting as the previous one, but I keep seeing either allusions or rehashes from the original story:

• Cop badge with a blood splatter on it.
  • Mirror-face reminds me of Rorschach more and more... he talks like him and the scene with him in the car with Angela eating nuts reminded me of R visiting Night Owl in his kitchen.
  • The scene at the news stand reminded me of the kid reading the comic books in the original.
  • Angela finding the secret compartment in Judd's closet reminded me of Rorschach searching The Comedian's apartment.
  • Cops are being killed, just like Masks.

I did not know the WW1 fliers were real!

It looks like Judd arranged for Angela to survive White Night, for some reason.

Was "Nixon City" a parallel to the real world? I have vague recollections of there being a "Hoover City" in D.C. during the depression populated by WW1 vets.

The "Lord of the Manor" section at the end is bonkers! What is Veidt up to and why is he obsessing over Doctor Manhattan? Is he still holding a grudge?

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Love 1

It certainly is interesting to see, in the future of the Watchmen verse, after cops led the charge against vigilantes in the 40s and 60s who wore masks, while now its the cops who have to use masks/code names to protect themselves and their families from violent thugs who think of themselves as vigilantes. 

I am learning a lot about history on this show, despite taking place in an alternate universe. The Tulsa attack on Black Wallstreet, and then the propaganda being sent to Africa American soldiers in WWI.

On 10/30/2019 at 7:28 PM, BellyLaughter said:

I liked all the promo stuff and was eagerly awaiting the series hoping I could enjoy it without a comic background but nope..... it’s just not working for me..... and I absolutely hate the parts with Jeremy Irons and just keep muttering the words “what the hell?” everytime he and his weird robots appear.... Sadly I’m done....

If you're not liking the show, I wouldn't put it on the lack of a comic background.  I loved the original Watchmen comic book series, but this series has an entirely different vibe to me.  It seems to be only tangentially related to the original.  They do seem to be slowly bringing in more elements from the Watchmen universe, but that aside this series seems to be telling its own story.

And for what it's worth, I'm not sold on it so far either.  I'll stick it out for the season though, there appears to be some things coming up that might be more interesting for a Watchmen fan.

• Love 1

I loved this episode, even better than the pilot.

Liked the explanation for Angela's kids

Liked the stuff about Will

I'm fascinated by Judd, I want to know everything but, I'll be patient. 

DJ cast is fantastic. Ragina King is killing it

• Love 1
On 10/28/2019 at 9:52 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

If nothing else, this show educated me on a dark day in our nation's history I was not taught in school.

I’m actually rather pissed about that. I should not be learning about the existence of an actual horrific real world event through a TV show. 

• Love 7
On 10/29/2019 at 9:05 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Regina King must have some of the best career management and representation in Hollywood. She gets amazing roles that she kills in.

The only thing I've ever seen Regina King in where she didn't strike me as amazing was The Strain, and while I was miffed at the time that her role in that was little more than an extra, it turned out to be for the best. She was by far the best part of one of my favorite shows from the mid 2010s, Southland, and that wasn't exactly lacking for other excellent performances.

• Love 3