Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Primetimer

Jenny Slate: Stagefright (Netflix)

Jenny Slate's first stand-up special is a mix of stage time, funny stories about adulthood and conversations with family in her childhood home.

• Like 1

FYI - Jenny's book Little Weirds is coming out on November 5 and she's doing a book tour, so she may be coming to a theater near you soon!

Sunday, 11/3/19 - Washington, DC - Lisner Auditorium

Tuesday, 11/5/19 - New York, NY - The Town Hall

Friday, 11/8/19 - Chicago, IL - The Vic Theatre

Sunday, 11/10/19 - San Francisco, CA - Sydney Goldstein Theater

Monday, 11/11/19 - Portland, OR - Revolution Hall

Tuesday, 11/12/19 - Los Angeles, CA - The Theatre at Ace Hotel

Sunday, 11/17/19 - Seattle, WA - The Neptune Theatre

Saturday, 11/30/19 - Boston, MA - The Wilbur

• Like 2

I've always been a bit iffy about Jenny Slate, as she's seemed way too cringey and over-sharey for my taste, but I sort of liked this comedy show. I was surprised that I enjoyed the filmed bits with her chatting with various family members more so than her standup material. There were brief snippets of stand-up that I liked, but it was actually interesting to learn a bit about her upbringing. I think my favourite parts of her stand-up were her descriptive abilities - her descriptions of both her grandmothers were hilarious.

I've always associated her in my mind with New York, so I was surprised to see she grew up in New England. She seems to have had a  very comfortable upbringing - lots of footage of her parents, two sisters and grandmothers. The house she was raised in (the interior of which was on camera and looked absolutely gorgeous) was apparently haunted, and seems to have been a genuinely traumatic part of her childhood, which I thought was fascinating (she talks with her father about this on camera, does a bit on-stage about it). 

There is a particularly sweet segment where she is visiting with one of her grandmothers, and is rifling through some of the vintage dresses her grandma has stored in a massive walk-in closet. She tries on a hot pink number with long trailing chiffon sleeves, which on the hanger looked vaguely ridiculous, but actually fit like a dream and looked fabulous on her. Like, seriously, she should wear that thing EVERYWHERE.

I came away thinking I liked her more as a person, and in acting roles than as a stand-up performer. She at least has diverse pursuits to keep herself busy.

• Like 1

I truly enjoyed this special. Her opening about being out of breath was hilarious and endearing and she kept up the momentum. Her impression of her grandmother was divine and spot on. If you're on the fence about watching, do watch. It was a joy.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 11:47 PM, Cheezwiz said:

I've always been a bit iffy about Jenny Slate, as she's seemed way too cringey and over-sharey for my taste, but I sort of liked this comedy show. I was surprised that I enjoyed the filmed bits with her chatting with various family members more so than her standup material. There were brief snippets of stand-up that I liked, but it was actually interesting to learn a bit about her upbringing. I think my favourite parts of her stand-up were her descriptive abilities - her descriptions of both her grandmothers were hilarious.

I'd never heard of her, but this kept popping up as a recommendation, so I watched it last night.  (Wow, is she the most awkward person on the planet?)  I, too, liked the stuff with her family more than her stand-up - although I did like a good half of the stand-up.  Her reading the stuff she wrote on her closet wall and, especially, in that box of things that make her mad as a child/teen, was pretty powerful.  I also liked hearing about her stage fright.

• Like 1