Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E04: Veto Competition #1

• Start Topic

I have no problem with Devin and Caleb's attitude towards the alliance building. They are playing a game. They know that they have an alliance but don't want others to clue into that. Saying that it is too early to form and alliance and calling Joey on her attempts to form a woman's alliance is perfectly fair game play. If they were complaining in confessionals that other people were starting alliances, I would be annoyed but saying to Joey "it is too early" and the like is game play. They want to make Joey look like a target because she is playing too hard and in doing so, diminish the amount of blame they get for her ouster.

• Love 1

I believe the Supreme Court ruled some time ago that the "He started it!" defense only works when you're in 3rd grade or younger.  If you want to create any kind of alliance at all in the BB house, I say go for it.  But saying an all guy alliance is wrong, but an all female alliance is right, because of some perceived societal/historic/current event biases is giving the House Hamsters WAY more credit/blame than they deserve.  

They want to start a girl vs. boy alliance, as someone tries to do almost every season.  Once everyone settles in and gets to know each other, more cross-gender alliances always spring up.  THOSE are the ones that generally last the longest in this game; alliances between people who have actual things in common in their lives other than what they happen to be born with.  I think the Brigade was the only alliance I remember that started right away as an all-guy alliance that lasted till the end (an that was because those guys sincerely got along with each other over the long-term).

Secondly, Joey stated upfront that as a feminist, she had wanted to start an all-girl alliance when she first arrived.  They showed her telling Devin that on last night's episode.

Thank goodness they let the "I'm rubber, you're glue" defense stand.  

I think the reason that I respond poorly to the all male alliance is because its not even really a mixture of talents.  Its pretty much just "we're physically stronger, most of the challenges involve some level of physicality, so we're gonna lord it over the women" especially when I started to hear the "women only work with emotions" nonsense.  I respect Joey for making a move of some sort, because so far, no woman had.  I DO lament that she started with Amber, who doesn't seem to be very bright.  I think if she had gone to Christine first, it would have been better because I don't necessarily think Christine is loyal to the male alliance, and they could have used Christine in the male alliance to gain information.  Even going to Brittany would have been better.

• Love 4

Ya know:

Get something on the board and who knows, maybe it will win, because "caltoru" is not a word.  Spell a word, Pao!

Caltoru... grab a few quick vowels which I'm sure there was a plethora of and you could have at least gone to couture whihc would have been respectable. Pffft...

I thought the Godfather-like strings during Caleb's HOH room interrogation of Joey was brilliant. Was I the only one that heard it?

Nope. I caught it, too. Thought it was funny. Too bad they couldn't use the real Godfather theme.

(edited)

Caltoru... grab a few quick vowels which I'm sure there was a plethora of and you could have at least gone to couture whihc would have been respectable. Pffft...

Even "cat" would have been better. That is at least a word...  Or Actor. Coral. Orca. Taco. Court.  She had tons of words there.

I think Ocular would have been the best choice, but unlikely she would have come up with it.

Do the words have to be English? Because isn't Pao the one who started El Cuatro? She had cuatro.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 1

Looks like Joey will be the first one out.  That apology was cringeworthy.  I can't decide if Devin or Caleb is more psychotic.  I hope they get whacked soon.

The way she tried to form this alliance was really poorly executed.  She should have reconnected with the "El Cuatro", then have each of them approach another woman, one on one.  

With the first member of "Team America" going down before even taking off, Grodner can simply keep the thing going by tacking on a fourth member.

• Love 1

Looks like Joey will be the first one out.  That apology was cringeworthy.  I can't decide if Devin or Caleb is more psychotic.  I hope they get whacked soon.

The way she tried to form this alliance was really poorly executed.  She should have reconnected with the "El Cuatro", then have each of them approach another woman, one on one.  

With the first member of "Team America" going down before even taking off, Grodner can simply keep the thing going by tacking on a fourth member.

There is a part of me that wants both of them out quick because I dislike them intensely.  Another part of me enjoys having someone to root against, and between Zach, Devin and Caleb I will certainly having three people to root against.  And it makes it almost sweeter when they finally get sent packing.  So, I'm stuck, because truly, I really dislike Devin, especially the fact that he really thinks he is some sort of evil genius.

I had actually wondered about that Team America thing, because if there are only three members what happens when one ends up going home?  I didn't think we would find out so early.  She didn't even get to do anything to make $5000!

If I were Joey, and I only had a Hail Mary left, I would simply try to dismantle the mens alliance.  It sounds like Joey KNOWS there is an all male alliance, or she at least suspects something.  She would go to the men and start sowing seeds of doubt, especially based on the spelling competition.  The men that one would suspect would be in an alliance may be muscled, but they aren't very bright.  If I were her, I would start with the cop, because he seems pretty level headed.  I might also try to work with Frankie, who seems to like Joey, and may - at some point, be open to being in an alliance with her.  I would sell the fact that because her attempts at making an all girls alliance was such an epic fail, Joey's threat is neutralized.   However, Paola is a dominant personality who can draw people to her, so she may be more of a threat than Joey at this point.  

I don't think that strategy would work, but I think at this point, it may be all Joey has to save herself.

Well adding a few extra people to alliances is all the rage ya know. But yeah it's their fault for drawing out the "nominations" for TA. They should have let it go two weeks and taken the top three vote-getters instead of doing it one per week.

Oh and nobody has mentioned the heinousness that was Slop Pops! *shudder*

• Love 1

I love Donny & Christine. I can't stand Devin. He agrees to an all male alliance then breaks the alliance & tells 2 girls about it without getting the ok from the alliance. If I were the "bomb squad" Devin would be the 1st to go. I can't stand how he acts like he's the Don of the Mafia & everyone has to go to him. I can't stand arrogant people & he's very full of himself. He jumped to get everyone against Donny without thinking it through & then showed signs of regret. How about think before you speak? 

Joey, she was right to try to rally the troops but went about it wrong, You will NEVER get 7 girls to agree on something that quickly, you have to talk to them & convince them over time. I am a female & I know I would never make an all girl alliance because, like it or not, most girls play with emotion over strategy. I tell my sons when we watch these shows that if they ever go on them, it's ok to find 1 smart girl but don't ever join forces with a group of them. You can say I'm against women & I'm not, it's the truth when it comes to these shows.

Devin gets an idea in his head & tells Caleb who joins in, both without putting thought into their speculations. The fact that they thought Donny doesn't have hair on his legs means he was in the military shows you how dumb they are. Then Devin starts to doubt his own thoughts afterwards but it's too late. I know if I were apart of this male alliance, I would want Devin gone for not talking over the girls being brought in & doing it on his own. Devin is playing too hard to fast & he thinks he's smarter than he actually is.

Joey, while she's right about the male alliance, she went about it wrong & too soon. Her head wasn't on the their radar & she backed herself into a corner. I really wanted Paola to go just for her annoying voice & horrible performance. I am so glad Donny won with "splitters" & the rest couldn't spell one word. I am routing for Donny & Christine but I know it's way too early for that & their are too many jock types left.

I think women are perfectly capable of working together in the real world.  But, Big Brother usually casts multiple women each season whose personalities are not conducive to working with other women or with other people in general.

• Love 2
(edited)

Thank goodness they let the "I'm rubber, you're glue" defense stand.  

I think the reason that I respond poorly to the all male alliance is because its not even really a mixture of talents.  Its pretty much just "we're physically stronger, most of the challenges involve some level of physicality, so we're gonna lord it over the women" especially when I started to hear the "women only work with emotions" nonsense.  I respect Joey for making a move of some sort, because so far, no woman had.  I DO lament that she started with Amber, who doesn't seem to be very bright.  I think if she had gone to Christine first, it would have been better because I don't necessarily think Christine is loyal to the male alliance, and they could have used Christine in the male alliance to gain information.  Even going to Brittany would have been better.

LMAO at the first sentence. Anyway, I think it actually would've been even less wise to go to Christine first, but that's a bit more based on feeds viewing. I don't remember exactly what she's said show-wise. Although I do remember a DR in this ep that made me hate her more than I already did so I am a bit bias! I can see why Joey would approach Amber first since Amber was actually in the initial El Cuatro alliance. Which apparently all of them, including Joey herself, forgot existed a minute after it was formed.

I think women are perfectly capable of working together in the real world.  But, Big Brother usually casts multiple women each season whose personalities are not conducive to working with other women or with other people in general.

Good point. Also, BB tends to cast men who are sexist and usually many that are bordering on if not full on misogynistic, so it's a bad combo. It's sad really, but in general pretty indicative of the real world.

I hate Caleb and Devin, but their paranoia about Donny has provided me with many laughs in these last 2 eps. I'll miss that when they're gone.

Edited by peachmangosteen

If you honestly believe men have it even as hard/harder than women in society then there's nothing I can do, but I sure wish you could live as a woman for one day and then get back to me.

LMAO at the first sentence. Anyway, I think it actually would've been even less wise to go to Christine first, but that's a bit more based on feeds viewing. I don't remember exactly what she's said show-wise. Although I do remember a DR in this ep that made me hate her more than I already did so I am a bit bias! I can see why Joey would approach Amber first since Amber was actually in the initial El Cuatro alliance. Which apparently all of them, including Joey herself, forgot existed a minute after it was formed.

Good point. Also, BB tends to cast men who are sexist and usually many that are bordering on if not full on misogynistic, so it's a bad combo. It's sad really, but in general pretty indicative of the real world.

I hate Caleb and Devin, but their paranoia about Donny has provided me with many laughs in these last 2 eps. I'll miss that when they're gone.

Ahh...I don't watch the live feeds so you're probably right if its based on that.  Christine just seemed a bit more cagey than the average bear.  I would think she would like the chance to play both sides of the fence, and wouldn't feel any loyalty per se to the mens alliance, which she seems to already think is a joke and will crash and burn.  I totally forgot about the el quatro alliance too, no one had been actively pursuing it or nurturing it.  It didn't have a Devin obsessing over it, so I forgot about it.  Actually, Joey was stupid to try to form that alliance right after nominations were announced, when she already had an alliance of four and wasn't on anyones radar.  I wonder why she chose that timing.

(edited)

It's hard to tell when things happened because the first 2 eps and about half of this one took place before feeds were on, so they could edit it to be anything they want and no one would ever know.

Ahh...I don't watch the live feeds so you're probably right if its based on that.  Christine just seemed a bit more cagey than the average bear.  I would think she would like the chance to play both sides of the fence, and wouldn't feel any loyalty per se to the mens alliance, which she seems to already think is a joke and will crash and burn. 

My Christine hate and thoughts on her game play are all based on live feed stuff, so I can't get into it really here, but I don't think the eps have made her seem like she thinks the Bomb Squad is a joke at all. But then again that might be my live feed watching coming into play. It's hard to tell sometimes because feed watchers have so much more info than show only watchers. All of my thoughts on the eps are informed by the feeds, so I don't even know what to say anymore without it being spoilery!

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1

It's hard to tell when things happened because the first 2 eps and about half of this one took place before feeds were on, so they could edit it to be anything they want and no one would ever know.

My Christine hate and thoughts on her game play are all based on live feed stuff, so I can't get into it really here, but I don't think the eps have made her seem like she thinks the Bomb Squad is a joke at all. But then again that might be my live feed watching coming into play. It's hard to tell sometimes because feed watchers have so much more info than show only watchers. All of my thoughts on the eps are informed by the feeds, so I don't even know what to say anymore without it being spoilery!

I understand and respect you not wanting to spoil anything.  But I'm interested in the Christine hate!  

Well, damn. Being put on the block for possible eviction is too good for Joey. She tried to start an ALL-GIRL ALLIANCE!! Isn't that grounds for summary execution?

Fortunately, no one on this show can spell either of those words.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think it's hilarious to watch Caleb and Devin come up with the crazy conspiracy theories about a simple, nice janitor from North Carolina.

I am in love with Donny though! Could he be any sweeter? I want a mini Donny I can sit on my monitor at work so he can say encouraging things to me all day.

I think to some degree Donny IS putting on an act though... just not the act the Kwazy Konspiracy Kidz think he is.  He's simply being more of himself to gain trust.  He admitted in his Talking Heads already he's a student of the game and will use what he knows to win.  That's what he's doing.  Admittedly guys like Devin and Caleb are major assholes and freaky paranoid, and the military thing was kind of laughable, but you can also see Donny laying guilt and a sense of obligation on people like crazy, and it's definitely on purpose.  He's probably a really nice guy in real life--I'm not saying he isn't--but he's using that aura of niceness to drill in the heads of these people the idea that turning on him is the equivalent to kicking a puppy or eating a baby. It's probably not hiding a horrible person behind that, but he's definitely someone who's not adverse to manipulating people.

Caleb interrogating Amber over the girls alliance was creepy.  Creepier still was the way Amber acted.  It wasn't like two alliance mates talking strategy and and laughing off a failed counter alliance.  It was more like a pimp threatening to smack his ho if she didn't tell him who's trying to move in on his turf.

Yeah, but from the feed reports it's

apparent the show isn't even getting near to showing the worst of this. I hope this isn't them trying to gloss horrible things over, like they always do. Caleb is a majorly fucked up person, and his continued presence in the house is both disturbing, and seems possibly quite dangerous to this girl.

Edited by Kromm

Why did Joey apologize?! Why!? I understand why Caleb was able to tell her it was too early to form an alliance with a straight face - he's a psycho, who creates his own reality. But man, she's really terrible at this game.

Yeah, but DEVIN calling her "the worst player in Big Brother history" is like the pot calling the kettle black.  Because if she's that, then he'd be like... the second worst.

I can't really jump on the Donny bandwagon either. He does seem like a sincerely nice person but his crying over people being nice to him made him seem kind of pathetic to me. And I can only take so much of his Duck Dynasty beard and Gomer Pyle accent. Way too much Donny this episode for my tastes.

It's not pathetic--it's game playing.

I know a lot of folks are already in love with him, and I apologize up front if my holding a line firmly that he's putting on an act offends.  But it really seems like that to me.  I think he's probably actually nice to SOME level, and humble on some level, because it's actually pretty hard to fake those, but at the same time he's also knowingly manipulative.  Don't forget almost the first thing we heard from him was about how he'd seen EVERY episode of EVERY season and was a superfan.  He's taking the basic manners and stance on life (being humble, being polite) that's probably been drilled into him since he was a boy and using it as a tool to ensure those people love him and are horrified by the idea of fucking him over.

loved how Donny knew making a word plural makes the word longer....while the Gator (who rung out early) didn't

To be fair, he may simply have not found an "S".

Really liked Hayden's Death-metal/GWAR tribute to Pao-Pao's misspelled word.

More like an incomplete word, but yeah, it gave me some momentary love for him.
(edited)

Every time they have a spelling comp on this show I weep for the demise of literacy.  How do these people function in the real world?

I don't know if Devin and Caleb are stupid or insane. Could be both.

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 3

I keep seeing posts that say Donny spelled "splitters," but it was actually "splinters."

It really sounded like he was saying splinters, I think it was his accent. 

I think Joey apologized because she knew she had been found out and was trying to make nice. I don't think she actually thought she had done anything wrong, she was just trying to smooth over what had turned into a very prickly situation. It may have backfired, but in a different situation it might have cleared the air and built some trust. I mean, not on Big Brother of course, but in a different situation.

Every time they have a spelling comp on this show I weep for the demise of literacy.  How do these people function in the real world?

I'm a horrible speller (those red underlines help a lot). My nerves would mess me up even worse in one of those comps.