Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: Weekend at Brandy's

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Is it in the contract that drunk female charter guests have to sexually harass a male crew member on both versions of the show? Their behavior with Captain Lee was inappropriate and disgusting. Had it been male guests doing that to one of the stews I’m sure it wouldn’t have been ignored.

If it were male guests with a female crew member, it would have been a huge storyline for this season with all sorts of previews beforehand. Those guests would have been vilified by production and Captain Lee would probably have made them leave the boat.

It made me sad listening to Captain Lee's comments to the camera about the women's actions. He was visibly uncomfortable, but he just joked about it and brushed it off as part of the job. I wish he could see that the same way he would never permit that behavior towards one of the female crew, he should never feel like he has to accept it himself. It always amazes me how much gender plays into what is and isn't considered harassment.

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, zoltana said:

100%!  I was watching them get all handsy with Capt. Lee and I kept thinking that if that had been men doing that to a woman they could have been booted and lost their charter.  

Brandy has something more than alcohol wrong with her.  She is drinking excessively, but she's practically comatose.  She'd need to be putting away entire bottles of liquor in record time to be that gone.  Her friends are used to it too!  They were telling Kate not to worry about her and then when the one friend was getting concerned at the beach the other lady was telling her not to feel bad for Brandy.  She's a mess.  

Throw the whole charter away.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, sara1025 said:

In Simone's defense, I've made mimosas using freshly squeezed orange juice and for some reason it foams like crazy compared to store bought orange juice and it looks like that's what was happening. Granted, I'm sure that's how they always make mimosas on the boat and should be used to it and know how to deal with it, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in anyway lol

I guess that it's more a question of difference of temperature ! Cold champagne with lukewarm orange juice (I don't think the oranges were in the refrigerator) : not a good combo 😉

Edited by Diane Mars
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

My (I'm guessing minority) opinion is that Captain Lee should've shown some spine and refused to allow Brandy to board in the condition she was in.  It's one thing if someone gets completely wasted and incapacitated once s/he's on the boat and under way, but it's entirely another if she's already a slobbering, incoherent zombie before even boarding.  The one you can't foresee, but the other is a very easily solvable problem, especially considering the possible consequences.  I can't imagine that losing his son to an overdose hasn't given him some serious second thoughts about his judgment, or lack of judgment, on the Brandy issue.  I guess she survived whatever that was, and I hope that seeing herself in that condition was some kind of wake-up call for her. 

And with friends like those . . .

• Love 23
12 hours ago, PaperTree said:

He definitely assumed that, but he should have been prepared for them to come back with nothing.

And his lack of preparation should have made him a wee bit more humble.  But no...

• Love 7

I wonder if she was going through a withdrawal?? Just going gold turkey would your send your body into crazy mode as well it being so hot there.

Why on all seasons all the stew's hair look like birds nests?? I feel like if you are working on a mega yacht, you would want to look the part. Most of the men always look so put together.

I use this thing called a "hot bun roller" and it is so easy to throw your hair up. It takes zero effort and it looks like you got it done professionally.

• Love 6

Producer induced drama...in past seasons the ship has had deliveries of supplies that were forgotten and needed to be bought on land.

Last week they had a violinist delivered...

Arrogant Chef had several hours to call the seafood supplier on land and could have paid for a special delivery of seafood... or Chef could have thrown a hook in the water and caught his own fish.....calling BS

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

Surely someone (Kate? Lee?) has had a conversation with the primaries about Brandy?  Please tell me that someone cares that this woman keeps approaching the brink of death while everyone else is partying like nothing's wrong.  I liked Helen and her husband on the Adrian-love-fest charter, but they are displaying despicable indifference, even cruelty to one of "their closest friends."  Hell, I'd hope most people would treat a stranger better. 

Courtney is growing on me.  Girl has some great deadpan snark.  And despite claiming not to like working, she seems to do her work really well/efficiently.

Abbi - tie your damn hair back!  Even when she tied it up, it was somehow still all over the place.  Doesn't she know how to braid hair? 

There's too much damn hair this season, and I have big hair myself.  This is maybe the one thing Hannah has on Kate:  Hannah always looks neat and groomed in front of the guests, especially when serving food.  She usually has her hair smoothed back into a pony.  Don't make me defend Hannah, ladies!

6 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Arrogant Chef had several hours to call the seafood supplier on land and could have paid for a special delivery of seafood... or Chef could have thrown a hook in the water and caught his own fish.....calling BS

Yup... once they left to go fishing, he probably had time to call for seafood to be delivered by tender to the boat.

Edited by Special K
  • Love 13
13 minutes ago, Thisgirllovespasta said:

I wonder if she was going through a withdrawal?? Just going gold turkey would your send your body into crazy mode as well it being so hot there.

Why on all seasons all the stew's hair look like birds nests?? I feel like if you are working on a mega yacht, you would want to look the part. Most of the men always look so put together.

I use this thing called a "hot bun roller" and it is so easy to throw your hair up. It takes zero effort and it looks like you got it done professionally.

Thats what I thought when she first got on the boat last week and was shaking, twitching and moaning. She looked like someone having ths dt's from alcohol withdrawal. She did not appear to be just drunk.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Thisgirllovespasta said:

Kate thought it was the hot bun roller when Ashton and Brian were rolling  the boat back in the water.

• LOL 12
  • Love 1

Brandi acted inappropriately from the first step upon the Valor so either she is a Fame Ho hogging the camera with her bizarro act...note that the episode is named after her...or is in a constant state of being high as a kite or a drunkard..

Captain Lee should have guessed that the EMT would eventually be needed....

Tanner Banana-er, ex lifeguard stepped up and took care of Brandi when she crashed on the beach..Kate will reward Tanner by banging him.....

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Barbara Please said:

I thought Brandi was gong to OD. It was a very  disturbing situation, and the rest of her friends didn’t seem to care. 
Kevin is egotistical, and rude. He makes  Chef Beefcheeks look like a laidback person. 

And they didn’t seem surprised which is really scary if this is a common thing.

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

Funny how the camera shows the charter guests telling Kate that they don't want to eat breakfast until 10:30/11 am.  Yet  Kevin starts preparing food either right before or as soon as the guests get up.  So we are left to assume that Kate didn't tell Kevin....something I really doubt.  So I definitely am calling producer shenanigans there.

Call me crazy, but I don't think I could stand the heat or humidity, no matter the beautiful scenery.  

• Love 19
13 minutes ago, KLJ said:

Funny how the camera shows the charter guests telling Kate that they don't want to eat breakfast until 10:30/11 am.  Yet  Kevin starts preparing food either right before or as soon as the guests get up.  So we are left to assume that Kate didn't tell Kevin....something I really doubt.  So I definitely am calling producer shenanigans there.

Call me crazy, but I don't think I could stand the heat or humidity, no matter the beautiful scenery.  

I think it was more of a thing where the guest just ended getting up earlier than they thought they were going so he started cooking for them. I do think it was ridiculous that he decided the food must be our immediately when the guests were clearly just sort of getting sorted and wanted drinks first. 
One thing I did think was odd about Simone’s interactions with the guests is that twice we have seen her hold back information from either the guests or Kevin for no apparent reason this time it was when the guest asked when breakfast would be ready and Simone replied that she would have to check with Kevin even though right before she went out there to give them drinks Kevin was demanding she start taking the plates out so she knew it was ready, it seemed really odd. She did something similar last charter.

• Love 6

so was the crew eating Brandi's snapper or did he make one extra? Recently my husband and I showed up quite late to a small dinner at an event (due to terrible traffic, not severe drunkenness 🙂 ) and were glad that they put our plates aside so we could scarf some food while everyone was enjoying their coffee and dessert. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I do think it was ridiculous that he decided the food must be our immediately when the guests were clearly just sort of getting sorted and wanted drinks first.

Seriously.  I prefer to nurse my morning coffee for a while before actually eating.  Like even hours, if I have them to spare.

Kevin seems pretty high-strung.  He should have just asked Simone to ask the guests if they still wanted breakfast at 10:00 or if they wanted it sooner.

• Love 18

The hosts, Mrs. Orgasmic Noises as She Eats and Mr. Man of Few Words, of this charter are too polite to complain about the skimpy food the chef is giving them..."the perfect portion" may be a dig that he isn't shoveling out enough to grub to keep the guests from getting hangry and asking for pigs in the blanket an hour after dinner....

I would have expected to see Neptune's bounty... in mass quantities....not a 3 inch square of frozen filet, 2 shrimp, and canned crab dollop...

I would deduct from the tip...and put the blame square on the chef who failed to serve the dinner I requested....

• LOL 1
  • Love 18
2 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

My (I'm guessing minority) opinion is that Captain Lee should've shown some spine and refused to allow Brandy to board in the condition she was in.  It's one thing if someone gets completely wasted and incapacitated once s/he's on the boat and under way, but it's entirely another if she's already a slobbering, incoherent zombie before even boarding.  The one you can't foresee, but the other is a very easily solvable problem, especially considering the possible consequences.  I can't imagine that losing his son to an overdose hasn't given him some serious second thoughts about his judgment, or lack of judgment, on the Brandy issue.  I guess she survived whatever that was, and I hope that seeing herself in that condition was some kind of wake-up call for her. 

And with friends like those . . .

I don't know that there was any way for Capt Lee to discern whether Brandi had just been (WAY) over served before they boarded and just needed to sleep it off, or if she was in true medical distress. Her traveling companions (I hesitate to call them friends) were also quite drunk when they boarded, and didn't appear the least bit concerned about her, other than to get her to a sofa to lie down.

Like others, I think she's mixing meds, I don't think it's just alcohol.

• Love 20

After seeing this episode I would have never guessed that Brandy is actually a talented artist (after reading Reddit), she actually looks really pretty in the pics on her facebook/google (I assume she was sober in those?). While on the show she just looked like an strange mess with the spaced out look all the time. It's a shame she had to embarrass herself like that on national TV by getting wasted on whatever she was on, she will definitely be remembered for her behavior on the show way more than her artistry for years to come.

• Love 6

Captain Lee is actually spineless. His tough guy act is all a facade. There is no way having a drunken woman fondle your ass while you are in the bridge is part of your job description. Even the Lame Captain Sandy put the kibosh on that when the horny Canadians were fondling Jack. 

Captain Crunch is all talk. 

Edited by The Ringo Kidd
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, njbchlover said:

I think someone last week posted that they thought Kevin came on BD with an agenda against Kate, and, given what we've seen so far, I think that is a justifiable opinion.  

I said that. And as every week passes, I'm more and more convinced. He just seems to be LOOKING for reasons to find fault with her. It's ridiculous, at this point. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Special K said:

Courtney is growing on me.  Girl has some great deadpan snark.  And despite claiming not to like working, she seems to do her work really well/efficiently.

Yea, her whining about work has been annoying. But, to be fair, she never complains directly to Kate or Simone. And although I like Brian and Ashton and think they're well intentioned; I do like the way in which she blows them off. 

Ashton: "Is there someone back home?"

Courtney: "Nope."

Ashton: "Do you fancy any of the boys on the ship?"

• LOL 4
  • Love 17
6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Wasn’t there an early season where Capt Lee kicked a charter off the boat when they found what looked like cocaine in their bathroom?

Yes it was the first season but there was actual evidence we have no idea what’s going on with Brandy.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Yea, her whining about work has been annoying. But, to be fair, she never complains directly to Kate or Simone. And although I like Brian and Ashton and think they're well intentioned; I do like the way in which she blows them off. 

Ashton: "Is there someone back home?"

Ashton: "Do you fancy any of the boys on the ship?"

Ha!!  It continued:

Ashton:  Do you have a type?

Courtney:  Not an asshole.

Ashton:  Fair enough.

• LOL 14
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, sara1025 said:

In Simone's defense, I've made mimosas using freshly squeezed orange juice and for some reason it foams like crazy compared to store bought orange juice and it looks like that's what was happening. Granted, I'm sure that's how they always make mimosas on the boat and should be used to it and know how to deal with it, but I thought I'd throw my two cents in anyway lol

As an experienced mimosa maker, my take was that she was pouring the champagne straight into the glass which gives you gross foam. You need to tilt the glass and pour in a bit sideways to minimize the scummy looking foam. 

Episodes like this make me call producer shenanigans. This family went on one cruise already and was mocked on television-but they chose to pay to come back for more? I wonder if the cruisers get to cruise for free/vastly discounted rate or if they are all plants/actors. The whole Brandy thing-one of the women said "Who invited her?!" while she was hyperventilating. Shocking lack of compassion but also...maybe they've really never seen her before in their lives.

Time will tell but I think Ashton is doing a good job, actually, and making a positive atmosphere and the crew issues-except for Abbi not understanding how to use the radio-have all been smaller ones. Not like last season where they seemed totally incompetent/clueless about what needed to happen every day.

I like Courtney. I don't like the complaining about the job, but at least it wasn't to her boss. I like everything else about her. And Simone seems great. And they both seem to work and do their job and seem to be working like a team with Kate. Maybe that won't last long. 

The chef...wants everything a certain way but doesn't seem to be a great communicator. Rushed breakfast and was a big baby about it while Simone was still trying to get out coffee. Who wants breakfast before they get their coffee? How about give her time for set up and put out some dang muffins or something first. I was glad he apologized.

The deck crew is super hot this season. And while I like Courtney a lot-I would have no problem smiling upon Brian. He's lovely. And that was nice manners to apologize for being drunk and dumb.

Edited by Heathrowe
  • Love 9

Me neither. I don't think this season of BD is winning Thailand any tourists.

• Love 12

Brandy said she was having a panic attack. I do think she is downplaying the drinking (and possible prescription drugs) but some of her behavior when they first got on board did look like a panic attack.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I’ve seen a lot of panic attacks, but sorry Brandi. I do not believe that was all that was happening with you. We were talking gibberish, staggering and mentally out of it. I think she was mixing benzodiazepines with alcohol. The Captain is correct. She needs medical help. They do not need the responsibility of having her on board. If she really wigs out, while they are out cruising, they’re going to have more trouble than they know how to handle. 

• Love 24

Panic attack? She couldn't speak coherently. Writhing around hyperventilating moanng and acting like she was in extreme pain does not indicate a panic attack. She didn't even admit to excessive alcohol consumption. She most likely was mixing her anxiety meds. with alcohol.  She made a fool of herself.  She is fortunate she didn't fall oerboard. 

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, 65mickey said:

Panic attack? She couldn't speak coherently. Writhing around hyperventilating moanng and acting like she was in extreme pain does not indicate a panic attack. She didn't even admit to excessive alcohol consumption. She most likely was mixing her anxiety meds. with alcohol.  She made a fool of herself.  She is fortunate she didn't fall oerboard. 

I do think she was also drunk/using prescription drugs but panic attacks do manifest a lot of those things in certain people.

• Love 1

I have often found it frightening that inebriated guests use the water toys, etc.  It’s surprising no one has been injured already.  

I’m probably a party of one regarding the chef.  He did make an error in judgement not ordering seafood as a provision for the extravaganza.  All in all, he pulled that off.

I only see a blurred line between chef and meal service.  Cold food or a hair in the dish would fall back on Kevin more than Kate.  We just saw that on Mediterranean.  Yes, one of the charter guest requested a late breakfast.  However, once they started getting up several hours earlier, what was he to do.    Simone seemed to be having trouble all morning.  She couldn’t even seem to get the drinks served.  Consequently, I think he did the right thing in calling Kate.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

I’m probably a party of one regarding the chef.  He did make an error in judgement not ordering seafood as a provision for the extravaganza.  All in all, he pulled that off.

I agree his dinner looked fairly nice. And they seemed happy with it (they seem to be easy to please -- that's not meant as a criticism BTW)

7 minutes ago, Emmeline said:

Yes, one of the charter guest requested a late breakfast.  However, once they started getting up several hours earlier, what was he to do.    

I agree with an earlier poster who said that coffee is necessary IMMEDIATELY (and apparently for some of these folks, mimosas LOL). Breakfast not so. He should have had one of the stews ask the guests whether they wanted breakfast soon, or not so.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, dleighg said:

agree his dinner looked fairly nice. And they seemed happy with it (they seem to be easy to please -- that's not meant as a criticism BTW)

And they had spent nearly all day drinking so their tastebuds weren’t at their best. Lee didn’t seem too impressed. I hope he didn’t over season Lee’s like he said he was going to do because the guests were drunk.

• Love 2

Ashton was lucky he got that tender back afloat on the receding tide.   Must pay attention to these things.

Not a very good place to land.

I wonder why they couldn't have found a better beach.  The area looks littered with deserted islands.

It looked rather treacherous for the guests to climb around all those rocks as well.

Then you really couldn't go swimming or surf walk.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, SweetieDarling said:

I don't know that there was any way for Capt Lee to discern whether Brandi had just been (WAY) over served before they boarded and just needed to sleep it off, or if she was in true medical distress. Her traveling companions (I hesitate to call them friends) were also quite drunk when they boarded, and didn't appear the least bit concerned about her, other than to get her to a sofa to lie down.

Like others, I think she's mixing meds, I don't think it's just alcohol.

That Brandi was a strange case indeed. Somebody mentioned she may have gone “cold turkey”...made me think she might be “dope sick”...possibly ran out of whatever she takes in a faraway place...which can lead to anxiety in a big way...perhaps trying to drown it out with booze... not a good idea...

I read she came out and said she suffers from anxiety and got dehydrated...ok... but I still think she may have ended up dehydrated and suffered severe from self medicating with booze after not having her normal opiate of choice...

I agree it seemed much more than just alcohol.. odd...

Edited by Shellbell59
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Yes it was the first season but there was actual evidence we have no idea what’s going on with Brandy.

Sure, I wasn’t suggesting he should have. Just trying to recall if he had been in a position to have to deal with something like this before. 

I don't think he's weak- he's made tough decisions before. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Producer induced drama...in past seasons the ship has had deliveries of supplies that were forgotten and needed to be bought on land.

Last week they had a violinist delivered...

Good point...we’ve seen them provide provisions...talent etc..but has that happened in Caribbean and Med? 
Perhaps more available close ports/ locations to order and deliver to boat? Whether it be good/drink/talent..?...
I’m not familiar with Thailand charter routes...I don’t know...possibly 

That said...It’s HARD enough to fish the sea...and that’s WITH an guide or on fishing boat directing! A bunch of inebriated people not knowing good spots...or correct bait...splashing around...hmmm no...odds are...not enough for a seafood EXTRAVAGANZA...for several guests..besides...what if all they caught was some horrible oily lackluster fish?

Kevin should have though ahead IMO 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Shellbell59 said:

Good point...we’ve seen them provide provisions...talent etc..but has that happened in Caribbean and Med? 
Perhaps more available close ports/ locations to order and deliver to boat? Whether it be good/drink/talent..?...
I’m not familiar with Thailand charter routes...I don’t know...possibly 

Yeah they had provisions provided in Caribbean and Med either being delivered or sending the tender. That said he appeared to realize his mistake in the afternoon which isn’t an ideal time to get a bunch of seafood even if your going to the market much less trying to track it down on short notice.

• Love 1