Type keyword(s) to search

Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies in the Media: Tell Me More

• Start Topic

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:24 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Did anyone ask for this? What is the point without Danny, Sandy, and the rest? Way to tarnish the movie.

The movie was already tarnished with Grease 2 ;)

• Love 3
On 10/21/2019 at 3:24 AM, WendyCR72 said:

Did anyone ask for this? What is the point without Danny, Sandy, and the rest? Way to tarnish the movie.

The only character you listed who would not be in this is Sandy. It is about the Pink Ladies earlier in high-school, so they are going to be the focus of this series. The T-Birds are probably going to be in this as well, which would include Danny.

No one asked for this, but this sounds much better and far more interesting than the "Summer Nights" prequel. We have the song, we have the montage in the movie; I do not need to see an entire movie that is Sandy and Danny at the beach. Maybe "Rise of the Pink Ladies" will answer the question of how/why Jan fits into the Pink Ladies, because she is so different from the rest of them. There must be some reason she is part of the group, and I would love to see that explored.

Also, the original Broadway stage version is far better than the movie. As far as I am concerned, the movie tarnished the stage musical.

Cast and Start of Production Announced for the Paramount+ Original Series "Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies"

Paramount+, the streaming service from ViacomCBS, announced today that principal photography has begun in Vancouver for its upcoming original series, GREASE: RISE OF THE PINK LADIES.

From Paramount Television Studios, GREASE: RISE OF THE PINK LADIES is set to star Marisa Davila as Jane, Cheyenne Isabel Wells as Olivia, Ari Notartomaso as Cynthia, Tricia Fukuhara as Nancy, Shanel Bailey as Hazel, Madison Thompson as Susan, Johnathan Nieves as Richie, Jason Schmidt as Buddy, Maxwell Whittington-Cooper as Wally and Jackie Hoffman as Asst. Principal McGee.

The musical series takes place four years before the original "Grease"; in 1954 before rock 'n' roll ruled, before the T-Birds were the coolest in the school, four fed-up, outcasts dare to have fun on their own terms, sparking a moral panic that will change Rydell High forever.

Paramount Plus Sets Cast for ‘Grease’ Prequel Series ‘Rise of the Pink Ladies’

GREASE-ROTPL-Headshot-Graphic.jpeg?w=681

This 10-episode musical series takes place four years before the original “Grease”, in 1954 and is being filmed in Vancouver.

Marisa Davila as Jane

Cheyenne Isabel Wells as Olivia

Ari Notartomaso as Cynthia

Tricia Fukuhara as Nancy

Shanel Bailey as Hazel

Madison Thompson as Susan

Johnathan Nieves as Richie

Jason Schmidt as Buddy

Maxwell Whittington-Cooper as Wally

Jackie Hoffman as Asst. Principal McGee

If they are setting it in the 1954-1955 school-year, then it has to be a one season mini-series. Rizzo and her friends will start the next year, and everyone watching this show will expect them to be part of the series. I don't know why they changed it. The idea of a series about Rizzo and her friends starting the Pink Ladies had potential. I am not sure how I feel about the new direction the series has taken. 

Chris McNally Cast in Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies
chris-mcnally-wcth-1-e1644630027257.jpg

Chris McNally will play Mr. Daniels, a young, cool teacher, so he’s well-liked by many, but he is actually a bad guy who threw a 16-year-old student under the bus for coming onto her, and tries to gaslight her into thinking he didn’t.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

This sounds closer to the 1950s than the original song. It doesn't sound authentically 1950s at all, but it's a lot closer to 1950s rock and roll than the song from the 1978 movie. It sounds more 1960s than 1950s, but it's a vast improvement over the 1978 version in terms of sounding era appropriate. Can anyone explain why? 

1 hour ago, Sarah 103 said:

This sounds closer to the 1950s than the original song. It doesn't sound authentically 1950s at all, but it's a lot closer to 1950s rock and roll than the song from the 1978 movie. It sounds more 1960s than 1950s, but it's a vast improvement over the 1978 version in terms of sounding era appropriate. Can anyone explain why? 

Grease is the word in first Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies teaser

Underscored by the classic title song, the teaser showcases some of the series' musical numbers, and it boasts 31 new original songs by pop hitmaker Justin Tranter. "I worked on the show for seven months straight and I still listen to the music every day," Davila previously told EW. "There's absolutely no way you can get tired of them. It's a no-skip soundtrack. Justin and their team managed to mold together the old '50s style of music with a modern day take on it."

PARAMOUNT+ AND POPSUGAR TO HOST THE FROSTY PALACE-THEMED 2-DAY INTERACTIVE EXPERIENCE

The Frosty Palace two-day interactive experience will take place at Mel’s Diner (8585 Sunset Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90069) and will be open from 4:00 PM-8:00 PM, PST on both Thursday, April 6 and Friday, April 7. For those attending on Thursday night, Paramount+ is hosting a special drive-in-themed screening of the GREASE: RISE OF THE PINK LADIES premiere episode at 8:30 PM, PST. Reservations are limited and required in advance and are now open to book at https://voxmediaevents.com/greaseriseofthepinkladies. Additional details for both the interactive experience and screening can also be found in the same link. 

Guests attending the Frosty Palace experience can expect to be completely immersed in nostalgia as they are transported back in time and surrounded by retro 1950s tunes and custom décor, all while enjoying twists on familiar diner fare and partaking in iconic social media-worthy photo moments. The experience will also feature one-of-a-kind GREASE: RISE OF THE PINK LADIES branded merchandise giveaways, customized on-site so fans finally have the chance to join their favorite girl gang.

• Like 2
On 4/6/2023 at 12:44 PM, AnimeMania said:

Am I the only one who remembers or is willing to acknowldge/admit that the Broadway show not only exists but predates the movie by seven years? This has been driving me nuts lately. I hate that people refer to the 1978 movie like it's the original version, when it's not.

Also, I vastly prefer the stage version to the movie version. I think part of the reason I like this series better than the 1978 movie is that it is truer in spirit to the original broadway version in that it is an ensemble piece, not just a love story with some subplots. 

Here is another interview with some of the brilliant creative team. I love hearing them talk about thier work. They are doing a fantastic job. I am enjoying this show far more than I ever thought I would. 

8 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

Am I the only one who remembers or is willing to acknowldge/admit that the Broadway show not only exists but predates the movie by seven years? This has been driving me nuts lately. I hate that people refer to the 1978 movie like it's the original version, when it's not.

Also, I vastly prefer the stage version to the movie version. I think part of the reason I like this series better than the 1978 movie is that it is truer in spirit to the original broadway version in that it is an ensemble piece, not just a love story with some subplots. 

I have never seen the Broadway version, but yeah the movie how me and my coworker have discussed take out the musical numbers the plot is kind of lackluster. 

and honestly I think I prefer Jane and Richie over Sandy and Danny.

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Like 2
34 minutes ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

I have never seen the Broadway version, but yeah the movie how me and my coworker have discussed take out the musical numbers the plot is kind of lackluster. 

I know not everyone has seen the Broadway version (even a local high school/community theatre production), and I understand that. My problem is people not knowing/acting like the Broadway version doesn't even exist. 

34 minutes ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

and honestly I think I prefer Jane and Richie over Sandy and Danny.

Huge YES to this. I've been thinking about it and I've come to the conclusion that it's more interesting to watch a couple fall in love than to see a couple in love right from the start. 

(edited)

If anyone has a Roku, Roku city (the screensaver) has a reference to Rise of the Pink Ladies. Paramount+ has taken over and almost everything is a reference to something that under the Paramount corporate umbrella. 

I found the link to it on YouTube.

Edited by Sarah 103
2 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Grease: Rise of the Pink Ladies was cancelled by Paramount+. The show will be removed from Paramount+ so watch it as fast as you can.

They are pulling a Warner Discovery for a tax write off for 4 programs. I’m really hating this move of removing content from streaming platforms

• Sad 3

I get cancellation, but what a jerk move to remove it from the platform.  I guess it doesn't matter now, but I received a pretty lengthy survey about the show, a few weeks ago.

• Like 1
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Pristine said:

I get cancellation, but what a jerk move to remove it from the platform.  I guess it doesn't matter now, but I received a pretty lengthy survey about the show, a few weeks ago.

Same here. I thought the survey seemed like such a positive sign. I guess I was wrong. If we're very lucky maybe it will be picked up on another platform/streaming service.  

I wonder if they had been willing to pay more upfront and do the series they originally wanted focusing on Rizzo, Marty, Frenchie and Jan starting the Pink Ladies, if the series would have been more sucessful. People had a really hard time accepting new characters and the diversity upset people too (even though the creative team did an excellent job of explaining it within the series). 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Like 1

I was so excited when I read this! (This also confirms @giovannif7's link and provides a bit more information)

https://deadline.com/2023/07/grease-rise-of-the-pink-ladies-vod-dvd-release-cancellation-paramount-plus-removal-1235447103/#:~:text=Grease%3A Rise of the Pink Ladies premiered on Paramount%2B on,bar people from discovering it.

I know what I'll be asking for this holiday season. Maybe if enough people buy it, that will demonstrate interest and someone with power will bring back the show for a second season. A girl can dream.