Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Mall Closing

Harvey

The local mall has closed, and Amy and Dina are excited about the influx of new customers, but they quickly realize they're not all there to shop. Meanwhile, Cheyenne learns she's not as cool as she thinks she is.

(edited)

How come Jonah has 400 $ to give to Mateo when he is mooching off of Amy? He is always too nice to Mateo when he is nothing but a jerk in return.

Edited by Harvey
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, Harvey said:

How come Jonah has 400 $ to give to Mateo when he is mooching off of Amy? He is always too nice to Mateo when he is nothing but a jerk in return.

I don't think he really does. He probably literally has it but can't really spare it. Jonah didn't expect it to go that far. He originally wanted to give him something more like $100 but then once he choose to go the gambling route, he went overboard. That's why Garret kept saying "ok this seems like a good place to stop" and then Jonah kept pushing past that. And why Jonah said not to tell Amy.

• Love 5

So ... were the two girls mean-girling Sandra or were they really fascinated with her? Either way, it was fun to see Cheyenne have to take a bit of what she's always dishing out.

Glenn and Dina's congratulatory handshake/hug/chest bump over the mall closing was gloriously awkward.

• Love 14
17 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

So ... were the two girls mean-girling Sandra or were they really fascinated with her? Either way, it was fun to see Cheyenne have to take a bit of what she's always dishing out.

Glenn and Dina's congratulatory handshake/hug/chest bump over the mall closing was gloriously awkward.

I think they were genuinely fascinated with her.

4 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

However I am happy that we are past the Amy/Jonah will-they-won’t-they crap.

I like that Jonah isn't threatened that Amy drastically outlearns him and is supportive of her.

"Stop knowing what I like!" is such a teenage girl thing to say.

• Love 14

I thought this was cute and yeah at something’s brewing with Carol and I can’t wait to see what it is. 

I appreciate that once they got Am and Jonah together, they didn’t make the whole show about them, but I feel they have over corrected a bit because they have had like two seconds of screen time it seems all season. 

• Love 13

I wonder if that was the same kid who has played Amy's daughter in the past. I couldn't figure out why Dina was saying she had such an unmemorable face unless it was an inside joke about a recast.

I knew the minute that woman spit the cereal sample out and set it down someone else was going to come along and eat it.

• Love 6

Glenn and Dina's awkward chest bump/five five was the stuff of awkward legends. 

"Always penises, why cant they ever draw a vagina?"

Not an awful episode, not especially memorable but it had some good lines and I enjoyed Cheyenne having a meltdown at being "old" while the teen girls were captivated by Sandra. I mean, I get it, I am fascinated by Sandra too.  

Carol is going to blow, hopefully with minimal fallout.

• Love 13
10 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I knew the minute that woman spit the cereal sample out and set it down someone else was going to come along and eat it.

The customer chewing the nutrition bar then spitting it back out into the cup made me feel a bit uneasy, especially when another one actually put the regurgitated sample into their mouth.  Gross!

Not really my kind of humor.

• Love 1
On 10/18/2019 at 12:12 PM, fishcakes said:

I'm sure that they didn't think they were mean-girling her, but they were. They interest was completely condescending. I mean...they were petting her hair. When I was bullied in middle school, that's pretty much exactly how it played out. "But we were being nice!"

• Love 6

Best part about this episode was seeing Cheyenne finally being taken down a peg and on the ropes.

In other good news I believe I head somewhere that SUPERSTORE is NBC's highest rates sitcom so that could mean it is safe and we can continue to enjoy Cloud 9 for more years to come.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, North of Eden said:

Best part about this episode was seeing Cheyenne finally being taken down a peg and on the ropes.

In other good news I believe I head somewhere that SUPERSTORE is NBC's highest rates sitcom so that could mean it is safe and we can continue to enjoy Cloud 9 for more years to come.

Highest rated is still low rated. They could easily just scrap everything and try a do over like when they canned Community and all the other shows and they had all flops including that MJF show.

• Love 1

Most of this episode was cringe-worthy--not as bad as Quincinera, but it did have some funny moments: 

Emma, of course, remains the insufferable teenage daughter. I officially hate her now. Doesn't anyone on TV know how to write female characters? Not all teenage girl is this rude, angsty, or influenced by peer pressure. 

But I loved

Amy: "One of the sample stations has hummus. I know you like hummus."

Emma; "Stop knowing what I like!"

And Cheyenne saying the girls in the massage chairs looked like kids from "Euphoria." And Dina thinking it was a place.

But my favorite part of the episode was when everyone encouraged Amy to go into Mom mode, and she did. Making signs about Cloud 9 being a teen hang out spot and making announcements about wanting to talk to the kids about their feelings and their changing bodies. And that's what made them all leave. It was great. 

• Love 5

Mean teens is a joke that doesn't get old. Sure, some are nice. But the idea that they're all a bunch of empathetic, intelligent protestors is false. There will be mean teens forever and always. It's the hormones and lack of brain development combined with growth spurts into adult-ish bodies. 

I assume Jonah's gambling was part of him dropping out of business school. But I 100% forgot about it.

Oh my God, no. I get that it's a joke but Justine piercing ears is not funny. It's just dangerous and bad. 

I can see the teens being attracted to an awkward meme queen like Sandra.

• Love 5
On 10/18/2019 at 12:31 PM, Empress1 said:

I think they were genuinely fascinated with her.

I like that Jonah isn't threatened that Amy drastically outlearns him and is supportive of her.

"Stop knowing what I like!" is such a teenage girl thing to say.

Someone's got to pay his student loans.